• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never purchased an Apple product.

Neither have I. But my lady swears by them.
I don't know if any of you watches Doctor Who but I always pictured Apple turning everyone into Cybermen when they get connected. I mean so many or out there then all of a sudden you get one and BAM you are assimilated.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
imgur is ok sometimes

cDk3gO7.jpg

DominoKid

Damn I have afro-fatigue. I'm tired of all the touching and the dumbass questions. I only kept it this long for the attention, but I've realized its not the right type of attention. Or at least not what I'd like.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Did you guys watch Moulin Rouge or Romeo and Juliet? There's a bunch of shit that's just ridiculously over the top and kind of contradictory. That's Baz's style in a nutshell.

Romeo and Juliet made me hate both Baz and Di Caprio.

The Leo hate has lessened over time.

cdyhybrid

Taking the plunge.

Where you're from- Hawaii

Where you live- Seattle

Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy- Half Chinese, 1/4 Scottish, 1/4 Irish

Do you know your roots- Somewhat. I saw a picture of my distant ancestors (1800s time) that came to Hawaii from China (my dad's side) that came to work on the sugar cane plantations. One of the kids in the photo looked exactly like my dad when he was younger. It was a bit creepy. Mom and her family are California through and through.

Your Age- 26 1/2

Favorite musical genre- Currently a battle between hip hop and EDM (trance and house mostly but I'm still exploring it)

Your profession/major/career interest- Jack of all trades for a start-up just outside Seattle, have a BS in Informatics from UW. Mostly work involving the web (analytics, some dev work)

Your religious affiliation- Technically I am Catholic (baptized and everything all the way up to confirmation, but never got there) but I'm pretty much somewhere between atheist and agnostic with atheist leanings

Hobbies- video games of course, outdoorsy stuff like hiking, drinking, music, huge sports fan

Decided I want to start posting here more because I enjoy reading this thread more than most here.

Also Rob Parker says I should check myself before I wreck myself. Sports section saved me from true cornball status.

Thank you sir. After living in Seattle for 9 years, I can confirm that Hawaii's weather is pretty damn awesome. But living there came with some downsides that I don't miss.

What brought you to Hawaii? Job? Military? Marriage? Either way enjoy the weather, I was initially going to go to school at University of Mano'a but I changed my mind and ended up going to University of Central Florida.

cdyhybrid

What brought you to Hawaii? Job? Military? Marriage? Either way enjoy the weather, I was initially going to go to school at University of Mano'a but I changed my mind and ended up going to University of Central Florida.

I was born and raised in Hawaii actually, currently live in Seattle. Moved up here because I went to UW.

Never been to Florida so I can't comment on your decision either way. I hope you get a chance to visit the islands at some point. It's not for everyone but it's definitely got some character.

harSon

Banned
Craig Robinson why did you join with the struggle? You have talent!!!!

Didn't know what you meant till I saw the Box Office thread and looked up Tyler Perry's Peeples Lol. I disagree with him having talent though, at least on the movie front. He's pretty one note, and I consider him to be a better stand up comedian than an on screen actor.

Welcome to blackgaf, Hope you survive the experience.
Welcome to the Family

Taking the plunge.

Where you live- Seattle

Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy- Half Chinese, 1/4 Scottish, 1/4 Irish

Do you know your roots- Somewhat. I saw a picture of my distant ancestors (1800s time) that came to Hawaii from China (my dad's side) that came to work on the sugar cane plantations. One of the kids in the photo looked exactly like my dad when he was younger. It was a bit creepy. Mom and her family are California through and through.

Your Age- 26 1/2

Favorite musical genre- Currently a battle between hip hop and EDM (trance and house mostly but I'm still exploring it)

Your profession/major/career interest- Jack of all trades for a start-up just outside Seattle, have a BS in Informatics from UW. Mostly work involving the web (analytics, some dev work)

Your religious affiliation- Technically I am Catholic (baptized and everything all the way up to confirmation, but never got there) but I'm pretty much somewhere between atheist and agnostic with atheist leanings

Hobbies- video games of course, outdoorsy stuff like hiking, drinking, music, huge sports fan

Decided I want to start posting here more because I enjoy reading this thread more than most here.

Also Rob Parker says I should check myself before I wreck myself. Sports section saved me from true cornball status.

damn I haven't done this yet....

And Happy Mothers Day to all of BCT. Make sure you tell your maternal figures thank you today folks.

FyreWulff

Well, I just got back to Omaha.

Led my family on that I was going to Skype her today from Vancouver. Made her pick the time and everything. Landed in Omaha's airport last night, stayed overnight at the Hilton, then took the city bus into the neighborhood because a taxi would have been obvious as I pulled up.

I got on their internet from my iPad, asked them if they were ready to go. Brother starts a video call with me on Skype. I answer it from behind her house. As she starts the call, I open the door and walk through.

Worth all the setup.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Taking the plunge.

Where you live- Seattle

Your Age- 26 1/2

One of us, one of us....welcome!

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

Led my family on that I was going to Skype her today from Vancouver. Made her pick the time and everything. Landed in Omaha's airport last night, stayed overnight at the Hilton, then took the city bus into the neighborhood because a taxi would have been obvious as I pulled up.

I got on their internet from my iPad, asked them if they were ready to go. Brother starts a video call with me on Skype. I answer it from behind her house. As she starts the call, I open the door and walk through.

Worth all the setup.
Master class. Sounds like a good Mother's Day.

zero_suit

Worth all the setup.

Aww, good stuff.

So my racist ass cousin got the shock of his life today. Let's just say he wasn't expecting his daughter's soon to be baby daddy to be a darker shade of skin color. I wish I was there at lunch with them. I wanted to see that racist prick's face when she walked in the room pregnant with a black dude right next to her. My dad said it was amazing and it took every ounce of his energy to not laugh in his nephew's, who he fucking hates, face. My cousin walked out of the room and his daughter's BF and my dad chilled out and had a beer together.

FyreWulff

Master class. Sounds like a good Mother's Day.

The entire setup was dorky as shit.

Aww, good stuff.

First time I've seen my mom cry since like 1992 or something.

Also, when I left.. my youngest brother was about 2 inches short than me and his voice still hadn't dropped. I show up today and he's now almost 2 inches taller than me, and his voice dropped. All in the span of 5 months. Pretty sure he's going to end up at 7 feet or something.

So my racist ass cousin got the shock of his life today. Let's just say he wasn't expecting his daughter's soon to be baby daddy to be a darker shade of skin color. I wish I was there at lunch with them. I wanted to see that racist prick's face when she walked in the room pregnant with a black dude right next to her. My dad said it was amazing and it took every ounce of his energy to not laugh in his nephew's, who he fucking hates, face. My cousin walked out of the room and his daughter's BF and my dad chilled out and had a beer together.

Ha, nice. He'll have to change his ways, eventually. Is there any particular reason he ended up so racist while your dad didn't?

cdyhybrid

Welcome to blackgaf, Hope you survive the experience.

Welcome to the Family

damn I haven't done this yet....

And Happy Mothers Day to all of BCT. Make sure you tell your maternal figures thank you today folks.

One of us, one of us....welcome!

Thanks guys. My posting will has been steeled in the fires of NFL-Age, I'll be alright.

Worth all the setup.

Nice dude.

Ha, nice. He'll have to change his ways, eventually. Is there any particular reason he ended up so racist while your dad didn't?

My dad pretty much traveled the world from 16-30. He got his uncle to sign papers saying his age on his birth certificate was wrong so he joined the Army at 16. I think that really changed his world view. He admits that when he was growing up he would see a lot of racist shit and wonder why people were like that. After the Army he joined the Merchant Marines for 5 years and just went around the world. The only reason he ever came back home was because he was visiting his mother and notice she had bruises on her shoulder. So he didn't extend his contract and moved back home.

My aunt's husband was kind of a POS tho. When I was a kid he use to make fun of me because my mom is half Mexican. So his dumbass kids ended up like him. Can't stand most of them. If I go around them we usually end up fighting.

So my mom got called by a half sister on Friday. The woman was apparently her father's last child (that they know of). Grandpa died when she was 15 and her mother was considerably younger than him. She's the daughter of his 4th wife. So basically grandpa was a rolling stone. Also what's weird is that eventually he and my mom's mom did marry about 7 years after she was put up for adoption. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I guess by that time they figured they didn't want to intrude on my mom's life with her adoptive folks. This woman is actually in contact with her other siblings on the father's side which is great. Years ago she found a list detailing all of his kin while working on family trees and one date in particular (1946) she just couldn't place. Funny how she's the only one social services could find and she has all the pieces but one (my mom). Life is weird.

FyreWulff

So my mom got called by a half sister on Friday. The woman was apparently her father's last child (that they know of). Grandpa died when she was 15 and her mother was considerably younger than him. She's the daughter of his 4th wife. So basically grandpa was a rolling stone. Also what's weird is that eventually he and my mom's mom did marry about 7 years after she was put up for adoption. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I guess by that time they figured they didn't want to intrude on my mom's life with her adoptive folks. This woman is actually in contact with her other siblings on the father's side which is great. Years ago she found a list detailing all of his kin while working on family trees and one date in particular (1946) she just couldn't place. Funny how she's the only one social services could find and she has all the pieces but one (my mom). Life is weird.

Always great when the first family member you really contact is the genealogist of the family. Makes life much easier.

Good stuff. Hopefully you will get to meet much more of your family. And that could be pretty cool.

I met my half sisters through my sister back when I was high school. I mean we lived right around the corner from each other which made it too funny.

Slayven

Boys 'Round Here" by Blake Shelton featuring Pistol Annies & Friends is listed #23 in the Hot 100 Billboard charts.

Well the boys 'round here don't listen to The Beatles
Run ole Bocephus through a jukebox needle
At a honky-tonk, where their boots stomp
All night; what? (That's right)
Yea, and what they call work, digging in the dirt
Gotta get it in the ground 'fore the rain come down
To get paid, to get the girl
In your 4 wheel drive (A country boy can survive)

Yea the boys 'round here
Drinking that ice cold beer
Talkin' 'bout girls, talkin' 'bout trucks
Runnin' them red dirt roads out, kicking up dust
The boys 'round here
Sending up a prayer to the man upstairs
Backwoods legit, don't take no sh*t
Chew tobacco, chew tobacco, chew tobacco, spit

Aw heck
Red red red red red red redneck

Well the boys 'round here, they're keeping it country
Ain't a damn one know how to do the dougie
(You don't do the dougie?) No, not in Kentucky

But these girls 'round here yep, they still love me
Yea, the girls 'round here, they all deserve a whistle
Shakin' that sugar, sweet as Dixie crystal
They like that y'all and southern drawl
And just can't help it cause they just keep fallin'

For the boys 'round here
The boys 'round here

Let me hear you say
(Ooh let's ride)
(Ooh let's ride)
Down to the river side

(Ooh let's ride…)
Hey now girl, hop inside
Me and you gonna take a little ride to the river
Let's ride (That's right)
Lay a blanket on the ground
Kissing and the crickets is the only sound
We out of town
Have you ever got down with a…
Red red red red red red redneck?
And do you wanna get down with a…
Red red red red red red redneck?
Girl you gotta get down

With the boys 'round here
The boys 'round here

(Ooh let's ride)
(Ooh let's ride)
I'm one of them boys 'round here
(Ooh let's ride)
(Ooh let's ride)

(Ooh let's ride…)
Well all I'm thinkin' 'bout is you and me, how we'll be
So come on girl, hop inside
Me and you, we're gonna take a little ride
Lay a blanket on the ground
Kissing and the crickets is the only sound
We out of town
Girl you gotta get down with a…
Come on through the country side
Down to the river side

The bolded line had me laughing so hard it hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom