• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah.. most of the list was either very obvious or not surprising. A couple of decent surprises in there though. With celebs constantly interacting with their fanbase through so much web presence, it's amazing that any of this stuff isn't known to the public at large.

Gorillaz

God just went the entire weekend without internet while visiting family in the country. It felt weird being that disconnected. Don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing tho

Anybody hear Daft Punk's stream for there new album? I know it hit Itunes earlier today and bout to check it out

God just went the entire weekend without internet while visiting family in the country. It felt weird being that disconnected. Don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing tho

Anybody hear Daft Punk's stream for there new album? I know it hit Itunes earlier today and bout to check it out

It's so good, my joint so far is Lose Yourself to Dance

Drumline was good, fuck ya'll

is even funnier, because Petey Pablo is singing this song called "WHO AM I!?", and since this isn't the mid-2000s, we have no idea

harSon

Banned
Drumline was a piece of shit. Seeing Nick trying to mean mug while playing the gotdamn drums? Fuck outta here.

I agree with ViewtifulJC. Fuck ya'll, Drumline is great. Everything else he's in is trash (<3 Christina Milian still), except maybe Roll Bounce. But his role is pretty minor in that.

He's actually a pretty decent host on America's Got Talen though.

Slayven

Why is the black college movie experience is all about hardship and struggle?

And the white college movie experience is all about wacky hijinx and titties?

harSon

Banned
I don't recall hardship and struggle in "Friday."

There's an exception to every rule. List the black movies over the last half decade, and I guarantee more than 75% of them are about A) Racism in a historical or current context B) The Black urban experience (struggle and hardship in a nutshell). The remaining will be filled up by romantic comedies and melodramatic romances, both of which will often overlap with A and B.

I'm pretty sick of the current state of black films to be perfectly honest. It's the same shit over and over again.

cdyhybrid

I liked Drumline and Stomp the Yard. I have a feeling that if I were from the South and more familiar with the crazy ass marching bands at the colleges in the area Drumline would lose some luster though.

harSon

Banned
Speaking of black movies, what y'all think the twist for After Earth will be?

The screenplay for the film is actually pretty decent. I hate M. Night as much as the next person, but I've always considered writing to be his downfall, and not his ability to direct (although he does manage to get actors/actresses to put in their laziest efforts within his films). So the fact that someone else wrote the story and script is promising.

harSon

Banned
Sad thing is Animal House shits on every black college movie and that movie is damn near 30 years old

It's not the same genre as Animal House, but The Great Debaters is a great black college film. And while on that subject, the list of school related black films becomes almost non-existent if you bar sports or the helping white hand genre :p

Cooley High is such an underrated black film too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom