• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key and Peele had a bit saying we'll know we've made progress in society in terms of race when we have a comedy about black students in college getting drunk and going on panty raids.

Nicole Beharie, you are black, beautiful, talented, and last I checked was dating Michael Fassbender. You don't have to have to be about this life!

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Shame on you all. The worst film Nick starred in was Day of the Dead. Zombies were tech rolling, dodging bullets, and broke speed limits when running.

I've been over black cinema for a minute now. I'm hoping some of these black horror directors get to shine a little bit.

I'm about to try and cop an anamorphic lens and get my Ridley Scott on.

edit: wtf @ sleepy hollow...

edit edit: Did I really just she the headless horseman using an AR? Le Fuck...

BHZ Mayor

Drumline is the most over exaggerated bullshit ever. No way Nick Cannon's character would have gotten away with a third of the shit he pulled in that movie.

DominoKid

I liked Drumline and Stomp the Yard. I have a feeling that if I were from the South and more familiar with the crazy ass marching bands at the colleges in the area Drumline would lose some luster though.

Nah you'd love it even more. Yeah it's a lil hokey but it's the only reason we ever took band seriously in middle school. It made it cool to be in the band. Hell I even thought Nick Cannon did a good job in it. At least by his standards.

Stomp the Yard is aight for a movie based around stepping. I still call Columbus Short "Stomp The Yard" in anything I see him in. I'm glad he's getting shine on Scandal, but he's the only character whose backstory they haven't went into yet. I can't wait to see what his story is, especially since they've been building him up as something like Olivia's protege.

RedSwirl

Y'all, is accepting minimum wage worth it at all in a high-cost-of-living environment even if you have zero debt from college?

Y'all, is accepting minimum wage worth it at all in a high-cost-of-living environment even if you have zero debt from college?

Unfortunately this has no solid response. Is it a steady/solid job, is it temporary while you kill time for better?

Will the stress that may or may not come while budgeting be healthy for you?

I feel that if you consider the two & are able to maintain finely & pursue better than you have your answer. If not perhaps you may want to weight your other opinions available.

That's because Tyler Perry makes garbage ass movies. His shit annoys me, like I seethe with hate when people tell me how good <insert movie by Tyler Perry is>. Don't get me wrong, I am glad he's giving actors and actresses chances when Hollywood doesn't but damn he could at least make a good movie that isn't cliche as hell. Or at least switch up the stories a little.

That's because Tyler Perry makes garbage ass movies. His shit annoys me, like I seethe with hate when people tell me how good <insert movie by Tyler Perry is>. Don't get me wrong, I am glad he's giving actors and actresses chances when Hollywood doesn't but damn he could at least make a good movie that isn't cliche as hell. Or at least switch up the stories a little.

My feelings exactly, clap, clap

RedSwirl

Unfortunately this has no solid response. Is it a steady/solid job, is it temporary while you kill time for better?

Will the stress that may or may not come while budgeting be healthy for you?

I feel that if you consider the two & are able to maintain finely & pursue better than you have your answer. If not perhaps you may want to weight your other opinions available.

Living at home, so I'd be able to start saving money right away.

Actually there's nothing lined up but I've basically stopped looking for retail and other minimum jobs in favor of networking and looking for freelance writing gigs. Before, none of the interviews for even minimum jobs worked out because they all required prior experience. Previous freelance and part time gigs I've had before didn't even make me enough to save away. The most I ever made was like $5000 over the course of an autumn until I was laid off.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
FWIW i heard Peeples is actually pretty good considering most black Meet the Parents knockoffs blow ass. I'll check it on bootleg.

This, I was gonna check it out because of my dude Craig Robinson, but I'll cop it from the guy who tried to sell me movies while I was vacuuming my car at the gas station the other day

Living at home, so I'd be able to start saving money right away.

Actually there's nothing lined up but I've basically stopped looking for retail and other minimum jobs in favor of networking and looking for freelance writing gigs. Before, none of the interviews for even minimum jobs worked out because they all required prior experience. Previous freelance and part time gigs I've had before didn't even make me enough to save away. The most I ever made was like $5000 over the course of an autumn until I was laid off.

Well sounds like you have a plan, I'm sure you'll do fine. I'd the most important thing is to have 9-5 job. Basically the on job that will be there while you have your hands in other ventures that maybe/will become fruitful.

Speaking of which that reminded when I saw a job posting at my current job where it was editing/technical writing manuals. Yeah it's boring but it's something you could put on a resume for a future job/career you know? I quite literally said damn it in my head when I read a BA in English was a requirement. Man, I need to speed things along so I can continue school soon, le sigh.

On the fam front apparently mom is meeting a nephew on Saturday who lives in the Bay Area. They had a long talk on the phone and he got kind of emotional. I don't think she could have gotten luckier on the finding fam front. So far they're super excited and her half-sister has been signing her emails to my mom "your sister." It's great. I'm so happy for her.

harSon

Banned
Paging HarSon

Thoughts on Tyler Perry

1. His overwhelming success is a symptom of underrepresentation within Hollywood. If Hollywood were doing its job, Tyler Perry and All-Black films wouldn't be a financially reliable main stay within the industry.

2. He does a lot for rookie, up-and-coming, underutilized yet established and established but forgotten minority actors. The overwhelming majority of American Black actors have established the early portion of their careers starring within these types of films, and in that regard, I have a lot of respect for Tyler Perry.

3. Similar to Twilight, I believe a lot of the hate for his films (alongside them being formulaic) stems from the fact that they're meant for older religious black women. While it's true that a good film transcends intended audience, I'd still say being a part of the targeted demographic is incredibly crucial to one's potential enjoyment.

4. I actually thought the early portion of his career was decent. Diary of a Mad Black Woman and Daddy's Little Girls were legitimately entertaining films. I'm not a fan of his work after that (although I have a soft spot for House of Payne, since the family is so damned similar to mine), which I attribute largely to the fact that he caters too heavily to his fan base, which results in films that are formulaic and seemingly overlap dramatically with his past work. I actually haven't watched a film of his since Meet the Browns, which was back in 2008, so I can't really comment on it... but I'd imagine not much has change so I'm probably unlikely to enjoy it.

5. I wish he'd flex his muscle more as a producer. He tends to take the earnings from his films, television shows and plays, and reinvests them within his company and films. I'd like to see him put some money behind some other people's projects, like he did with Peeples and Precious. While he's certainly a catalyst for black actors and actresses, in terms of his impact on black films as a whole, he's pretty much non-existent considering the only filmmakers benefiting from his success is him.

On the fam front apparently mom is meeting a nephew on Saturday who lives in the Bay Area. They had a long talk on the phone and he got kind of emotional. I don't think she could have gotten luckier on the finding fam front. So far they're super excited and her half-sister has been signing her emails to my mom "your sister." It's great. I'm so happy for her.

That's awesome something similar happened with my family a few years ago. My grandfather had an affair with a black woman who became pregnant and basically abandoned her son, left him with my great grandmother whom I'm told was an evil asshole.

So greatgrandmother and my grandmother reluctantly raised him and told all my aunts that he was their cousin and not their brother because they were racist country folk.

My mom since told us that her and one of my aunts caught on and found out he was actually their brother and would catch beatings for telling him this info.

They lost contact when my aunt and mom left home to get away from my evil greatgrandma.

Out of nowhere he found them and now my uncle comes around to every family event. It was really sad at first, the guy obviously places a lot of value in family and the first thanksgivings and Xmas parties he and my aunts would get drunk and share stories and by the end of the night he'd be crying his eyes out.

That's awesome something similar happened with my family a few years ago. My grandfather had an affair with a black woman who became pregnant and basically abandoned her son, left him with my great grandmother whom I'm told was an evil asshole.

So greatgrandmother and my grandmother reluctantly raised him and told all my aunts that he was their cousin and not their brother because they were racist country folk.

My mom since told us that her and one of my aunts caught on and found out he was actually their brother and would catch beatings for telling him this info.

They lost contact when my aunt and mom left home to get away from my evil greatgrandma.

Out of nowhere he found them and now my uncle comes around to every family event. It was really sad at first, the guy obviously places a lot of value in family and the first thanksgivings and Xmas parties he and my aunts would get drunk and share stories and by the end of the night he'd be crying his eyes out.

I know how it feels from our side of things but I also think about them. How weird is it to go 40 or 50 years of your life and someone just pops up like "hey I'm your half-sister/aunt." It must be mind blowing for them too.

What makes it even more crazy is her half-sister that she got in touch with is younger than her nephew. Haha families.

Gorillaz

Don't know if there is a thread on it yet but apparently Jay Z is a time traveling vampire ya'll

1368490592_2512_jay-z1.jpg

Rockafella since 1939

I know how it feels from our side of things but I also think about them. How weird is it to go 40 or 50 years of your life and someone just pops up like "hey I'm your half-sister/aunt." It must be mind blowing for them too.

What makes it even more crazy is her half-sister that she got in touch with is younger than her nephew. Haha families.

My uncle's half black and his wife is Mexican. The best part for me is that his 6 year old son looks a lot like me at his age if I were a quarter black. He's gonna get so many hair compliments.

Don't know if there is a thread on it yet but apparently Jay Z is a time traveling vampire ya'll

1368490592_2512_jay-z1.jpg

Rockafella since 1939

That's just Marcus Camby after an instagram filter

marcuscamby3.jpg

My uncle's half black and his wife is Mexican. The best part for me is that his 6 year old son looks a lot like me at his age if I were a quarter black. He's gonna get so many hair compliments.

The fams is branching out so much that at this point I'll probably be related to some gaffer. Here's what we know so far.

She has 5 siblings. The one that's her half-sister on her mom's side is dead but she had two kids. One of them she's meeting Sat. She has 4 other siblings of which at least 1 is alive, the half-sister on the dad's side which was his last kid. She's 46. My moms 66. The other siblings are older than she is. No idea if he had kids with his first wife though. The second was the marriage he had an affair with my mom's mom, the 3rd wife was my mom's mom and the fourth was her half-sister's (that engaged in communications with her) mom. Assuming all of her siblings had kids, and those people had kids. I'm looking at a couple dozen cousins and some nephews. The nephew she's meeting (my cousin) is 51, 24 years my senior man this already one complicated ass tree.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
its like god doesn't want me to do the podcast anymore

gonna be in the field for so many weeks

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
i only saw the first episode but that NOPE moment was enough to make me a fan. i just havent got around to watching more. nothing but free time now though. unemployed life.

That was probably the best "Naw. I ain't real ... :| " moment I've ever seen outside of real life.

i only saw the first episode but that NOPE moment was enough to make me a fan. i just havent got around to watching more. nothing but free time now though. unemployed life.

Some of the shit that happens in the manga is amazing though, so hopefully that's translated well in the anime. If you guys got the feels from the first episode, then episode 5 is going to knock you on your ass, that or they'll show it in episode 6. When I read it, I was like...god damn! I did not see that coming at all! I had to check to make sure I didn't accidentally read like the ending lol.

Oh and...DAT Misaka! Such a Beastette!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom