• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

aaaaaaaaand i'm 22 now. 22 sounds so much older than 21. somehow 23 doesnt sound so bad to me though. 26 is another shitty sounding age.

DominoKid

Lol y'all probably stretch out the 6 then huh?

Twenty sieeex

i don't but i know a ton of people that do. usually it's people w/ a really strong drawl. i love it on a woman though. probably because i got used to my grandma's voice growing up. i can go anywhere and a southern drawl always brings me back home mentally.

i dont think i've ever hit that second T in twenty in my life though lol.

Wynnebeck

Banned
rather have the babyface than look 42 while i'm 22.

"I will beat your ass in public." - Wayne Brady to Bill Maher

I'd rather just look my age instead of jailbait for the numerous older women in my area. This Indian woman at my local Subway keeps flirting with me every time I get a sub even though her husband (who is the manager) is staring at her giving me the evil eye.

Homeboy, I came to Subway.
Your wife was looking at meh.
She's a haggler, no I'm not tagging her
but you want my money so man you better grab her and ask:
What you want on your sub nigga? Nothin.

FreeMufasa

I was just looking through an American textbook at my school and saw this:

MBZ8cXj.jpg

I couldn't believe it, I've never seen a brush off like this before. Did you guys have stuff like this? I can just imagine it now:

"Sure, slavery happened but it wasn't THAT bad. Any white man could own a slave"

That's how all that shit is really.

They never put into perspective how shitty life was for minorities of any kind. Just "yeah slavery happened and women wanted the vote, ANYWAYS about these historical white men who gives a fuck about anything else."

FreeMufasa

That's how all that shit is really.

They never put into perspective how shitty life was for minorities of any kind. Just "yeah slavery happened and women wanted the vote, ANYWAYS about these historical white men who gives a fuck about anything else."

Wow...now I understand all the stuff you guys said in past threads. In the UK they don't even mention ANYTHING about slavery a very briefly go over women's rights during the war. I'd say about 20% of the population knows about the British slave trade, which is funny because everyone knows about the American one.

It pisses me off how its ignored here but Tbh, I think I'd prefer no mention at all rather than a "yeah it happened but it wasnt baaaaaaad"

Wow...now I understand all the stuff you guys said in past threads. In the UK they don't even mention ANYTHING about slavery a very briefly go over women's rights during the war. I'd say about 20% of the population knows about the British slave trade, which is funny because everyone knows about the American one.

It pisses me off how its ignored here but Tbh, I think I'd prefer no mention at all rather than a "yeah it happened but it wasnt baaaaaaad"

The best part is it's like

slavery -> jim crow -> civil rights -> BUT WE ALL GOOD NOW
women's suffrage movement -> got the vote -> some feminists burned some bras in the 60s and 70s -> BUT WE ALL GOOD NOW

It's some straight bullshit.

Kreed

I was just looking through an American textbook at my school and saw this:

I couldn't believe it, I've never seen a brush off like this before. Did you guys have stuff like this? I can just imagine it now:

"Sure, slavery happened but it wasn't THAT bad. Any white man could own a slave"

The textbooks I read in school (South Carolina) weren't really good or bad when it came to slavery/women's issues. They would just mention these issues while discussing events like the Civil War and keep it moving. You were better off learning about those issues from a assigned reading book like Huckleberry Finn. But since I was usually the only black kid in my history classes, I preferred when they didn't talk about black history so that the whole class wouldn't look in my direction.

That said, the fact that you have a US text book (I'm assuming you weren't in a special US history class) shows a big difference between school in the UK and school here. In our regular history classes we would only learn the history of other countries if it related to US history in some way.

1. His overwhelming success is a symptom of underrepresentation within Hollywood. If Hollywood were doing its job, Tyler Perry and All-Black films wouldn't be a financially reliable main stay within the industry.

2. He does a lot for rookie, up-and-coming, underutilized yet established and established but forgotten minority actors. The overwhelming majority of American Black actors have established the early portion of their careers starring within these types of films, and in that regard, I have a lot of respect for Tyler Perry.

3. Similar to Twilight, I believe a lot of the hate for his films (alongside them being formulaic) stems from the fact that they're meant for older religious black women. While it's true that a good film transcends intended audience, I'd still say being a part of the targeted demographic is incredibly crucial to one's potential enjoyment.

4. I actually thought the early portion of his career was decent. Diary of a Mad Black Woman and Daddy's Little Girls were legitimately entertaining films. I'm not a fan of his work after that (although I have a soft spot for House of Payne, since the family is so damned similar to mine), which I attribute largely to the fact that he caters too heavily to his fan base, which results in films that are formulaic and seemingly overlap dramatically with his past work. I actually haven't watched a film of his since Meet the Browns, which was back in 2008, so I can't really comment on it... but I'd imagine not much has change so I'm probably unlikely to enjoy it.

5. I wish he'd flex his muscle more as a producer. He tends to take the earnings from his films, television shows and plays, and reinvests them within his company and films. I'd like to see him put some money behind some other people's projects, like he did with Peeples and Precious. While he's certainly a catalyst for black actors and actresses, in terms of his impact on black films as a whole, he's pretty much non-existent considering the only filmmakers benefiting from his success is him.
Absolutely agree. On the "lost" podcast I said the same stuff. Almost verbatim. When I get to a computer I'll elaborate.

Yeah its not bad as i thought i checked it out when Devo said it wasnt like that.
that scene when that huge titan appears sent shivers through my body.
Also
when his mom got ate it hit me right in the feels
I have been away from anime for so long. This is the show that bought me back.

Lol you aint never lied, down here its fo not four
Love that southern drawl.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3

[gaf]Idris Elba is in it. OMG OMG OMG OMG [/gaf]

I'm quite surprised that Lonely Island was put on it... especially considering their output consists largely of hip hop parody.

Speaking of black movies, what y'all think the twist for After Earth will be?
WALL-E killed all the humans after he was possessed by the demon from the Devil Elevator when he was recycling the Tyler Perry's Tyler Perry Memorial Hall Brought to You by Tyler Perry in the Memory of Tyler Perry.

The textbooks in soouthern cal were alright. We didn't get into more details until college history. My 5th grade teacher was a civil war buff, so we delved pretty deep into that era of american history.

I think what Devo said is really the biggest problem, when you get to the end of certain sections of history they have a 'and everyone lived happily everafter' vibe.

I remeber in my history classes (Georgia btw) we learned about the Slave trade, cotton gin, the underground railroad, civil war, trail of tears, civil rights movement and touched on "important ethnics" that helped shaped America. Now this was back in 90s and on up to 03 when I graduated so I bet it had change drastically by now

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Going to school in the UK for the last couple years of high school really showed me how isolationist and self-centered US history is. Abroad they really learn to see the bigger picture of world history involving many countries, kingdoms and powers where here, as most of you guys mentioned, we only learn things as the pertain to our country and events which influence or involved us. Anything else is hardly worth a mention until college.

Nakazato

[gaf]Idris Elba is in it. OMG OMG OMG OMG [/gaf]

I'm quite surprised that Lonely Island was put on it... especially considering their output consists largely of hip hop parody.

WALL-E killed all the humans after he was possessed by the demon from the Devil Elevator when he was recycling the Tyler Perry's Tyler Perry Memorial Hall Brought to You by Tyler Perry in the Memory of Tyler Perry.

he was a DJ for many years so it should come as no suprise

I remeber in my history classes (Georgia btw) we learned about the Slave trade, cotton gin, the underground railroad, civil war, trail of tears, civil rights movement and touched on "important ethnics" that helped shaped America. Now this was back in 90s and on up to 03 when I graduated so I bet it had change drastically by now
we learned about it in 4th grade and never again till i had a Black teacher in 11th grade that said fuck Amarican Lit class... This is African American Lit if you have a problem with it leave. So we learned more about Black history in that class than we ever did in a history class. To bad she was a bitch when her hubby was at sea... but you could tell when he was home cause after she got some she was the nicest woman in the world.

Well I'm convinced Big KRIT is the truth. Haven't felt a southern artist like this since T.I's urban legend. I'm gonna have to put this boy in the same class with the Dungeon Family, Scarface and other Southern legends.

Edit - In regards to education. I attended Kelly Miller elementary school in South Carolina. And the school/state never acknowledged the man and his contributions. Matter of fact I didn't know anything about the man until I finished college.

DominoKid

That feel when you suck at basketball and all sports...... :-/

lol damn that sucks.

since were talking about history books, i've always wondered what it would be like to have a history class outside of the south. because our stuff was always so damn self-fellating about southern history/culture.

That feel when you suck at basketball and all sports...... :-/

You gotta find something you good at bro. It's something out there for you. I'm 6'0 208lbs and considered small in my family where other males in my family range from 6'2 - 6'11 and weight anywhere from 225 - 275.

I found I was pretty talented in baseball. By recreational standards anyway.

DominoKid

cross post

Myles Brown Myles Brown ‏@mdotbrown
"Hey, nigger! Why didn't you come to our college?!" is one of those self-answering questions.

stay classy Kentucky fans.

sn: Lionheart, there's tons of sports. you might be good at bowling or something else that doesnt require actual athleticism.
i love bowling. it's one of the few sports you can drink beer and eat dinner while you play lol.

cdyhybrid

cross post

Myles Brown Myles Brown ‏@mdotbrown
"Hey, nigger! Why didn't you come to our college?!" is one of those self-answering questions.

stay classy Kentucky fans.

sn: Lionheart, there's tons of sports. you might be good at bowling or something else that doesnt require actual athleticism.
i love bowling. it's one of the few sports you can drink beer and eat dinner while you play lol.

Wiggins? Fuck Kentucky. No offense to any UK fans in here. I'm still bitter that Cal's bag man bought Terrence Jones' talents out from underneath us.

I found out I was decent at soccer after my parents were no longer forcing me to play it. I hated it when it was mandatory. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom