• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Wayne Brady/Bill Maher thread got me thinking in retrospect...black people put up with ALOT of shit much more than most other ethnic groups in the US. It just dawned on me exactly how much.

-We can only act a certain way according to most people
-We can only speak a certain way according to most people (I didn't even know AAVE was a thing until I moved to the US. Seriously)
-Hope you're good at sports, because everyone else thinks you are.
-You like music? Let me guess...rap?
-Favorite food: Let me guess? Fried chicken, kool-aid and watermelon?
-Oh god you're getting angry, please don't hurt/rob/shoot me.
-Oh you just walked in a store...you're probably going to steal something.
-You went to college? That ain't gangsta
-What are you wearing? black people don't wear that!
-Your girl/guy not black? Sell out like a mofo

Growing up and being bombarded with this stuff makes you ridiculously numb to alot of it, but damn is it crazy how pigeonholed we are. Damned if you're not the stereotype, damned if you are.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
That Wayne Brady/Bill Maher thread got me thinking in retrospect...black people put up with ALOT of shit much more than most other ethnic groups in the US. It just dawned on me exactly how much.

-We can only speak a certain way according to most people (I didn't even know AAVE was a thing until I moved to the US. Seriously)

Growing up and being bombarded with this stuff makes you ridiculously numb to alot of it, but damn is it crazy how pigeonholed we are. Damned if you're not the stereotype, damned if you are.

blacks in music in general pisses me off. its like people really believe that hip hop is the only genre of music attached to black people.

I've never had a drop of alcohol. Anyone else the same?

My cousins forced me to down a bottle of Smirnoff Ice the year I turned 21. I already made the conscious decision that I didn't want to drink before that because I've only known bad shit just from seeing my dad's side of the family drunk, or having relatives killed by drunk drivers. My cousins forcing me to drink only reinforced that stance.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
nope. but i haven't had anything else. so tired of the "you don't smoke? but you're from the Caribbean!"

Ugh, i'd hate that. People would look at me like i was some alien, especially when i played rugby. Over here, the social side of the game is all about drinking. I'd be there with my soda or juice and people ALWAYS assumed my not drinking was for a religious reason.

DominoKid

a lot of that shit only matters as much as you let it though.

like...i've never had someone tell me i wasnt a gangsta (black enough) because i went to college. not that i want to be a gangsta, but even the hoodest folks i know respected it because at the end of the day it's about doing what you have to do to make it. everybody grew out of that anti-intellectual shit by HS. besides, life has a way of evening shit out in the long run.

the biggest thing that bothers me isnt expectations, which make up most of that list, but misconceptions. i hate when people get the wrong read on me. i've vented about this many times. expectations pretty much get addressed on their own. misconceptions require a lot more work and effort to address and correct.

i think the only one on that list that reeeeeally bothers me is the sports thing. and that's because in one of my first classes freshman year, when we were doing introductions my professor flat out asked me "what sport do you play" in front of the entire class. i was the only person she asked that. could've heard a pin drop in that room. it's one of the few times i can actually say i felt "lesser than" for being black. like i couldnt be smart enough to be there based on academic merit.

As a kid I thought Afros were cool because I was under the impression you could just store lollipops and shit in there. Stupid cartoons.

Timedog just told me he stored pencils in his and they'd get lost for days.

I'm dying here...
Hell yea lol.I had 5 or more pencils in my afro back in school..I used to give pencils away but nobody wanted them cause of the oil sheen lmao.
"Nigga,I can't take my test with that oily up pencil"
"Big Randall,do you have a pencil that isn't greasy,shit"

FreeMufasa

As a kid I thought Afros were cool because I was under the impression you could just store lollipops and shit in there. Stupid cartoons.

Timedog just told me he stored pencils in his and they'd get lost for days.

I'm dying here...

Hahaha classic. If u ain't had a fro and done this.......wow.

This reminds me of one of the time I went chocolate HAM on some kid. About 16 and he put a pen in my fro. I let it slide. He then said something really offensive but I let it slide cos I already decided I put him on a 3 strike policy.

He left and came back and the first words out of his mouth was "hey nigs! Short for nigger!!" I switched and clapped him up bad.

The jump from Afro to nigger.........well at least he never used it again.

DominoKid

speaking of alcohol...i finally had one of those Smirnoff Ice things the other night. it tastes like a really shitty Sprite that somebody accidentally put a smidge of alcohol in. nah son.

Last weekend

NhzIFqg.jpg

speaking of alcohol...i finally had one of those Smirnoff Ice things the other night. it tastes like a really shitty Sprite that somebody accidentally put a smidge of alcohol in. nah son.

Yeah this is probably the weakest shit I've ever drank. Crazy thing is I know people who can get fucked up off 4 shots of this stuff.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
anyone else think Neogaf is too pro Sony? i like em and all but still....

Aren't there a bunch of dudes running around with xbox exclusive avatars or some shit as the latest GAF avatar fad now?

I miss the Coolio avatar craze.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
This is awesome, the clarinet (or oboe?) in the background is classy as hell. Which brings up parallax point: Why the "black music; gotta be hip-hop" when black culture brought us the progeny of all modern music, the forever king: jazz? Not enough jazz appreciation in this modern world and it's a damn shame. Bitches Brew, mayne.
Will Smith has that same problem of being accused of not being "black enough."

I fucking love the Lost and Found album, fuck the haters.
Any excuse to post that song is chill in my book, I enjoy it too.
Last weekend
That's a stocked fridge, Ray. I always believe in doing your birthdays the way you want.

Also *new struggle-sony portable* may be on the up but it has a long way to go to rival 3DS.

Hard to tell how much it takes to get me buzzed quick. Sometimes a margarita and a half and I'm done, then other times like the other night I'm drinking Tequila Gold straight up and going through half the bottle with only a decent buzz.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
anyone else think Neogaf is too pro Sony? i like em and all but still....

I think the Sony fans on GAF are just more vocal and desperate, honestly. Comes from being in dead last place for most of the generation on PS3, and from the Vita being on life support.

If the WiiU doesn't start to turn around, you're going to start seeing the same thing from Nintendo fans.

I still function BCT....

I still function.....

*If you get that reference mad props*

Any who so its my only day off this week and I wake at 0830 to play some defiance before I go to the bank....

My fucking TV dies. My 55 inch monster just keels over. So my girl who had it on all morning just nonchalantly says I don't know it was fine this morning. Argh. So know I'm hunting for an el cheapo TV to tie me over.

And yes I got so fucked up I sent a picture of my dick and balls to my girl. And waited while she looked at the text. Let's just say it was funny.

Edit: Man Smirnoff Ice is fucking kool aid. That shit is weak sauce. I drink it with tacos if I don't have lime for coronas. Its okay if you mix it with something. Like my drink of choice is Bacardi Limon with A corona. Drink a swig out of the corona and then pour in the limon. Flip it upside down, thumb in the top so you don't spill and then enjoy. If done correctly 3 of those you are nice. Exceed at your own accord.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
shit is weak I drank six bottles only had a slight buzz and I was bloated as fuck

Its malt liquor I believe and when I was a student in high school they were referred to as a lubricant. I won't get you drunk but it will help you make some bad decisions.....

Also how do ya'll feel about Mimosas? I've started drinking them during meals but I use pineapple juice instead of orange juice. Women I know say its a girl drink I have to keep reminding them that I am secure in my masculinity and don't care either way.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I don't like orange juice in any of my mixed drinks. Had a bad experience with tequila sunset on my 21st that I just can't shake. Never thought to try with pineapple juice, sounds interesting.
I didn't even have to click the link to guess what it was gonna show. Fashion always doing stuff like this to be edgy and get clicks. If they really wanted to just explore 'slave' and 'bdsm' imagery they could have done differing ethnicity than black = slave. In fact I think it would have been more interesting to see the white woman as a slave to the black man and would probably treated with more of the outrage and attention the artist desired.

The only story here in my opinion is the 'it is to show child labor' excuse by the artist. If you're going to use racism and slavery charged imagery to get people to look at your weak fashion designs the least you can do is go ahead and own it.

DominoKid

And thus we are learning

Yeah this is probably the weakest shit I've ever drank. Crazy thing is I know people who can get fucked up off 4 shots of this stuff.

shit is weak I drank six bottles only had a slight buzz and I was bloated as fuck

Everybody told me I'd love it because I basically live off of sugar. I almost gagged off that first sip because it didn't taste anything like I thought it would. IDK how folks can drink a 6 pack in one night. Seems like you'd have a bigger sugar high than you would be drunk.

Its malt liquor I believe and when I was a student in high school they were referred to as a lubricant. I won't get you drunk but it will help you make some bad decisions.....

Also how do ya'll feel about Mimosas? I've started drinking them during meals but I use pineapple juice instead of orange juice. Women I know say its a girl drink I have to keep reminding them that I am secure in my masculinity and don't care either way.

Mimosas are alright I guess. I've only had em a handful of times because other people offered them.

So BlackGAF, maybe I'm just overreacting but I could use some advice

I work nights at a convenience store. No one on my shift has a predetermined position. We pretty much do everything in the store except work in the pharmacy. So I do cashier/stocking/cleaning/customer service etc. which isn't a huge problem. The job is ok minus some of the crazy regulars we get but I do have a few issues.

There are 3 shifts throughout the day. The morning shift (7am-3pm), then the evening shift (3pm-11pm) and then there's the night shift (11pm-7am). When an employee works behind the register, all they have to do is ring up customers and make sure its clean back there. This means doing put-backs, throwing away empty cans they used during the day, etc. Unfortunately, since I started in August the earlier shifts hardly follow this rule. Some nights it's pretty straight back there and I only have my mess to clean up. At other times I'm pretty much cleaning up behind grown people. I brought this up to my managers multiple times and it seems as if the message still won't get through their heads. So most of the time I'm cleaning up behind at least 5 people when I work the register. If we don't clean up behind them, we get infractions.

To top this all off, we have one morning shift manager who just gets under my skin. Now maybe I'm being too soft about how she asks (orders?) me and other employees around. Here's a recent example. After finishing the usual truck night everyone usually goes around cleaning up. I decide to sweep the pharmacy up. For some damned reason people always eat seeds or peanuts back there and leave shells on the ground. I go back there, sweep and mop, and return the mop to the back. As I'm leaving to go back on the floor, she approaches me with this irritated look on her face.

Her: "WHAT ARE YOU DOING"
Me: "Just cleaned the pharmacy waiting area up, it was a mess"
Her: "WHY ARE YOU CLEANING PHARMACY THAT'S NOT YOUR JOB"
Me: "Ever since I started working here we usually take time out to sweep and mop the pharmacy." (The Pharmacist never cleans the pharmacy area)
Her: "WELL I DON'T CARE YOU NEED TO STOP PLAYING AROUND"

Like, what the fuck? And yes, she actually raised her voice as we had the conversation. A face to face conversation and she raises her voice to be more imitating like we're out in the fucking wild or something...

I am not the only one who gets this attitude from her. It's basically our entire shift except for one guy who she gossips with.

Anyways one morning she comes in and she does her usual peek around the register area and sees 3 baskets worth of stuff to put back. (1 belongs to me, 2 to earlier shifts)

Her: "YOU'RE NOT LEAVING UNTIL THOSE ARE PUT BACK"
Me: "I always do put-backs. My question is why your shift isn't doing them"
Her: "That's not the problem. They just need to be done"

I hate this job. She's more of a problem sometimes than customers. And sometimes I feel like I'm fighting an war I can't win. Am I being too soft about this?

And yes, I am still currently seeking employment somewhere else while I'm doing this.

ReiGun

I don't like orange juice in any of my mixed drinks. Had a bad experience with tequila sunset on my 21st that I just can't shake. Never thought to try with pineapple juice, sounds interesting.I didn't even have to click the link to guess what it was gonna show. Fashion always doing stuff like this to be edgy and get clicks. If they really wanted to just explore 'slave' and 'bdsm' imagery they could have done differing ethnicity than black = slave. In fact I think it would have been more interesting to see the white woman as a slave to the black man and would probably treated with more of the outrage and attention the artist desired.

The only story here in my opinion is the 'it is to show child labor' excuse by the artist. If you're going to use racism and slavery charged imagery to get people to look at your weak fashion designs the least you can do is go ahead and own it.

That's my issue too, I think. I just think you can make the same point/do the same shoot without inviting such negative press.

But then, I guess that's the point.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Yeah get outta there man. Sounds like she is just trying to cover her own ass by yelling at you, especially since y'all get infractions for not cleaning up but it doesn't matter if the day shift has their stuff together or not. I will say that working the morning and afternoon shifts at Price Chopper, the morning was a lot busier so there was less time for checkers to put stuff back. Still doesn't excuse your shift manager's shitty mgmt style.

I hate to say it but everything you describe is pretty much par for the course in retail.

cdyhybrid

I work nights at a convenience store. No one on my shift has a predetermined position. We pretty much do everything in the store except work in the pharmacy. So I do cashier/stocking/cleaning/customer service etc. which isn't a huge problem. The job is ok minus some of the crazy regulars we get but I do have a few issues.

There are 3 shifts throughout the day. The morning shift (7am-3pm), then the evening shift (3pm-11pm) and then there's the night shift (11pm-7am). When an employee works behind the register, all they have to do is ring up customers and make sure its clean back there. This means doing put-backs, throwing away empty cans they used during the day, etc. Unfortunately, since I started in August the earlier shifts hardly follow this rule. Some nights it's pretty straight back there and I only have my mess to clean up. At other times I'm pretty much cleaning up behind grown people. I brought this up to my managers multiple times and it seems as if the message still won't get through their heads. So most of the time I'm cleaning up behind at least 5 people when I work the register. If we don't clean up behind them, we get infractions.

To top this all off, we have one morning shift manager who just gets under my skin. Now maybe I'm being too soft about how she asks (orders?) me and other employees around. Here's a recent example. After finishing the usual truck night everyone usually goes around cleaning up. I decide to sweep the pharmacy up. For some damned reason people always eat seeds or peanuts back there and leave shells on the ground. I go back there, sweep and mop, and return the mop to the back. As I'm leaving to go back on the floor, she approaches me with this irritated look on her face.

Her: "WHAT ARE YOU DOING"
Me: "Just cleaned the pharmacy waiting area up, it was a mess"
Her: "WHY ARE YOU CLEANING PHARMACY THAT'S NOT YOUR JOB"
Me: "Ever since I started working here we usually take time out to sweep and mop the pharmacy." (The Pharmacist never cleans the pharmacy area)
Her: "WELL I DON'T CARE YOU NEED TO STOP PLAYING AROUND"

Like, what the fuck? And yes, she actually raised her voice as we had the conversation. A face to face conversation and she raises her voice to be more imitating like we're out in the fucking wild or something...

I am not the only one who gets this attitude from her. It's basically our entire shift except for one guy who she gossips with.

Anyways one morning she comes in and she does her usual peek around the register area and sees 3 baskets worth of stuff to put back. (1 belongs to me, 2 to earlier shifts)

Her: "YOU'RE NOT LEAVING UNTIL THOSE ARE PUT BACK"
Me: "I always do put-backs. My question is why your shift isn't doing them"
Her: "That's not the problem. They just need to be done"

I hate this job. She's more of a problem sometimes than customers. And sometimes I feel like I'm fighting an war I can't win. Am I being too soft about this?

And yes, I am still currently seeking employment somewhere else while I'm doing this.

Hard to say specifically since I'm not there, but sounds like typical retail bullshit. Keep looking for that next job. Gotta say I don't miss working retail for a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom