• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
So BlackGAF, maybe I'm just overreacting but I could use some advice

I work nights at a convenience store. No one on my shift has a predetermined position. We pretty much do everything in the store except work in the pharmacy. So I do cashier/stocking/cleaning/customer service etc. which isn't a huge problem. The job is ok minus some of the crazy regulars we get but I do have a few issues.

There are 3 shifts throughout the day. The morning shift (7am-3pm), then the evening shift (3pm-11pm) and then there's the night shift (11pm-7am). When an employee works behind the register, all they have to do is ring up customers and make sure its clean back there. This means doing put-backs, throwing away empty cans they used during the day, etc. Unfortunately, since I started in August the earlier shifts hardly follow this rule. Some nights it's pretty straight back there and I only have my mess to clean up. At other times I'm pretty much cleaning up behind grown people. I brought this up to my managers multiple times and it seems as if the message still won't get through their heads. So most of the time I'm cleaning up behind at least 5 people when I work the register. If we don't clean up behind them, we get infractions.

To top this all off, we have one morning shift manager who just gets under my skin. Now maybe I'm being too soft about how she asks (orders?) me and other employees around. Here's a recent example. After finishing the usual truck night everyone usually goes around cleaning up. I decide to sweep the pharmacy up. For some damned reason people always eat seeds or peanuts back there and leave shells on the ground. I go back there, sweep and mop, and return the mop to the back. As I'm leaving to go back on the floor, she approaches me with this irritated look on her face.

Her: "WHAT ARE YOU DOING"
Me: "Just cleaned the pharmacy waiting area up, it was a mess"
Her: "WHY ARE YOU CLEANING PHARMACY THAT'S NOT YOUR JOB"
Me: "Ever since I started working here we usually take time out to sweep and mop the pharmacy." (The Pharmacist never cleans the pharmacy area)
Her: "WELL I DON'T CARE YOU NEED TO STOP PLAYING AROUND"

Like, what the fuck? And yes, she actually raised her voice as we had the conversation. A face to face conversation and she raises her voice to be more imitating like we're out in the fucking wild or something...

I am not the only one who gets this attitude from her. It's basically our entire shift except for one guy who she gossips with.

Anyways one morning she comes in and she does her usual peek around the register area and sees 3 baskets worth of stuff to put back. (1 belongs to me, 2 to earlier shifts)

Her: "YOU'RE NOT LEAVING UNTIL THOSE ARE PUT BACK"
Me: "I always do put-backs. My question is why your shift isn't doing them"
Her: "That's not the problem. They just need to be done"

I hate this job. She's more of a problem sometimes than customers. And sometimes I feel like I'm fighting an war I can't win. Am I being too soft about this?

And yes, I am still currently seeking employment somewhere else while I'm doing this.

I would leave. Its not worth the $7.50 and the stress. I always feel like managers in retail jobs are just forever bitter.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Just too much sugar for me, Satch. Too much.

There was a similar non-pc nickname for those kind of drinks (Smirnoff Ice & Bicardi Breezer stuff) back in my high school: 'bitch pops'. It was decent enough being my first ever alcoholic beverage but now I feel like it would just give me a headache from all the sugar. Southern comfort is my standby now.

LosDaddie

Banned
REally enjoyed the Django podcast, BCT! :) Actually, I still have the last 30min to listen to, which I will at the gym today. Good stuff so far.

anyone else think Neogaf is too pro Sony? i like em and all but still....

There's no doubt as to which console GAF prefers. PS4 is going to be a beast. Hopefully MS brings it on Tues.

Aren't there a bunch of dudes running around with xbox exclusive avatars or some shit as the latest GAF avatar fad now?

I miss the Coolio avatar craze.

Most of those avatars are trolling MS.

DominoKid

so i graduated on sunday, my birthday was yesterday...and i've received no gifts yet. this is weird.

i'm also pretty sure my dad forgot my birthday because he didn't even call or text me.

i did have dinner at PF Changs though so that was dope.

so i graduated on sunday, my birthday was yesterday...and i've received no gifts yet. this is weird.

i'm also pretty sure my dad forgot my birthday because he didn't even call or text me.

i did have dinner at PF Changs though so that was dope.

don't sweat it bro. My dad started forgetting my birthday around the age of 19. Nowadays he barely remembers my age. Sad part about that is once I hit 30 I damn near started forgetting my age too.

You should have gotten something for graduating though. That's a big deal.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
dtKOCmJ.gif

Lil Jon = me
Gary Busey = you

Just follow my lead and be quiet.

DominoKid

dtKOCmJ.gif

Lil Jon = me
Gary Busey = you

Just follow my lead and be quiet.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

don't sweat it bro. My dad started forgetting my birthday around the age of 19. Nowadays he barely remembers my age. Sad part about that is once I hit 30 I damn near started forgetting my age too.

You should have gotten something for graduating though. That's a big deal.

yeah. i mean i'm pretty sure i'm getting something...idk what my folks are waiting for though.

hahahahahahahahahah.

My wife likes smirnoffs/bacardi breezes. I'll drink them if there's nothing else around and I don't feel like running to the store.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Slayven

I like the original Smirnoff ice just to drink around the house. But my choice for partying are barcadi 151 or Everclear. I got to get whiteboy drunk.

cdyhybrid

My worst whiteboy drunk experience was pounding half a bottle of Stoli, going to watch us blow a sure Apple Cup win in the last minute in sub-40 weather, then having to stay up for a house party we were hosting that night.

Ended up puking in the kitchen sink that night, and have struggled with vodka and cheap whiskey (LTD) since.

Drinking is for the weak minded, I follow a straight edge lifestyle. No drinking. No drugs.

z8B7A7A.jpg

Kidding, I don't drink often, and when I do I rarely feel any buzz

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Someone linked to a worldstarhiphop vid in OT....was a chick in the LFL twerking on an opponents head after a play.

also, i just learned that the LFL is an actual thing. Hahahaha

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I have a confession to make. That boneless KFC stuff...it ain't bad.
The last time I had KFC (maybe 2 months ago, it was a dark time) I was violently ill. Coincidence? I think not.

It might have had something to do with not eating for nearly 24 hours beforehand and being slightly hypoglicemic, but I'd rather blame the Colonel.

My worst whiteboy drunk experience was pounding half a bottle of Stoli, going to watch us blow a sure Apple Cup win in the last minute in sub-40 weather, then having to stay up for a house party we were hosting that night.

Ended up puking in the kitchen sink that night, and have struggled with vodka and cheap whiskey (LTD) since.

One new years party I took 12 assorted shots, two glasses of wine, a couple beers and before I blacked out I chugged some captain Morgan. I'm about 5'7", 150 lbs. Its a miracle I didn't die. It was the tail end of my heavy drinking phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom