• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
ND can actually do the cinematic part of the cinematic game play though. You can see that actual thought went into the writing and cinematography making everything look nice and whatnot. At the same time they keep their cutscenes relatively short too. Definitely some talented people there.

DominoKid

i enjoy music reviews. i just think people take them at face value too much when there's a score accompanying it. i actually think scoring music is kind of lazy but it serves a purpose.

take pitchfork for example. everybody sweats so hard when an album doesn't get an 8+ / BNM. but i've found some of my favorite albums from that 6-8 range from them. because it isn't so much about the score. it's more of a "we liked it, you might like it" declaration. i'll take a chance on a lot of albums in that range if the review and the sample tracks make it sound interesting enough.

it's only when they hit that 8+ / BNM point (or <5) that they're actually taking a stand on an album from a tastemaker standpoint.

Kaizer

Banned
Hey Black-GAF, been lurking for long enough:

Where you're from- Birmingham, Alabama but not really. Both my parents were in the military so right when I was born we moved to North Carolina. Then South Carolina, then Kansas, then we finally settled down in Georgia when I was about 8.
Where you live- Marietta, Georgia for about 13 years now.
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy- I'm African-American, holding it down for the dark skin brothas. Don't really know anything else.
Do you know your roots- Nah, I have no clue.
Your Age- Turned 21 back in March
Favorite musical genre- Hip-Hop/Rap, Electronica, love pretty much everything
Your profession/major/career interest- I'm a student in college, majoring in Journalism and also getting a music & entertainment business certificate. In a perfect world, I want to be a music producer/DJ as music is my first passion. Joined a music business program at my school last year and have been doing internships with different companies and networking with other guys in my class who DJ/produce. Being a writer for magazines/websites or hosting on television is my second passion. Just got a new internship for the fall to write for a new school magazine.
Your religious affiliation- Agnostic/Christian. I believe in a higher power, I choose to call it God/Jesus. Could I be wrong? Sure, nobody really knows and I really don't care too much about it. Definitely not enough to see why people would wage wars or fight each other over it. Life is way too short for that. Haven't been to church since I was 12. In general our family just sorta says prayers now and that's about it. Let people be free to believe or not believe what they want to and don't push your beliefs on others.
Hobbies- Gaming, Learning to produce music, Working Out/Getting in Shape

Sorry for the long post y'all!

Wasn't planning on buying a new game for a while but I read about the things that matter to me in games lately. Length is one factor gameplay is another and this is up my alley. This and The Bureau and SR4 were the only things I was thinking about snatching new this year. Ive gotten to the point I say fuck reviews because there really isn't a reviewer I can trust. If I had believed reviews I never would have played Alpha Protocol or Binary Domain two of my favorite titles of all time. As much as I loved BioShock Infinite it was a game I could have waited on.

Hey Black-GAF, been lurking for long enough:

Where you're from- Birmingham, Alabama but not really. Both my parents were in the military so right when I was born we moved to North Carolina. Then South Carolina, then Kansas, then we finally settled down in Georgia when I was about 8.
Where you live- Marietta, Georgia for about 13 years now.
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy- I'm African-American, holding it down for the dark skin brothas. Don't really know anything else.
Do you know your roots- Nah, I have no clue.
Your Age- Turned 21 back in March
Favorite musical genre- Hip-Hop/Rap, Electronica, love pretty much everything
Your profession/major/career interest- I'm a student in college, majoring in Journalism and also getting a music & entertainment business certificate. In a perfect world, I want to be a music producer/DJ as music is my first passion. Joined a music business program at my school last year and have been doing internships with different companies and networking with other guys in my class who DJ/produce. Being a writer for magazines/websites or hosting on television is my second passion. Just got a new internship for the fall to write for a new school magazine.
Your religious affiliation- Agnostic/Christian. I believe in a higher power, I choose to call it God/Jesus. Could I be wrong? Sure, nobody really knows and I really don't care too much about it. Definitely not enough to see why people would wage wars or fight each other over it. Life is way too short for that. Haven't been to church since I was 12. In general our family just sorta says prayers now and that's about it. Let people be free to believe or not believe what they want to and don't push your beliefs on others.
Hobbies- Gaming, Learning to produce music, Working Out/Getting in Shape

Sorry for the long post y'all!

Welcome brother time for the obligatory what do you put in your grits sugar or salt and is your favourite chicken kfc or some other heathen joint like popeyes

Onemic

i enjoy music reviews. i just think people take them at face value too much when there's a score accompanying it. i actually think scoring music is kind of lazy but it serves a purpose.

take pitchfork for example. everybody sweats so hard when an album doesn't get an 8+ / BNM. but i've found some of my favorite albums from that 6-8 range from them. because it isn't so much about the score. it's more of a "we liked it, you might like it" declaration. i'll take a chance on a lot of albums in that range if the review and the sample tracks make it sound interesting enough.

it's only when they hit that 8+ / BNM point (or <5) that they're actually taking a stand on an album from a tastemaker standpoint.

Yup, I like music reviews as well. Especially because I don't have the time to sift through every single album that comes out, and even more so because I listen to a fuckton of genres. For the most part if an album is scored high on an aggregate review site(metacritic) I usually like it. Very few times has an album gotten a shitty score from most publications and I think it's amazing and vice versa.

And recently, I've thought music reviews have been a lot more accurate in capturing my feelings for a particular album than game reviews. Especially so for anything resembling a AAA game, which will get a high score no matter how much it doesnt deserve it.

Welcome brother time for the obligatory what do you put in your grits sugar or salt and is your favourite chicken kfc or some other heathen joint like popeyes

Do not listen to this man

Kaizer

Banned

XOt7Wc9.gif

Popeyes all day, son. End of discussion. And I haven't had grits in a long time, but I always put salt in mine.

I wanted to make a new thread but I didn't know how to phrase is properly.

Black-gaf, How would you react if someone called you a "moor"?

I was at work and I could hear this argument outside my window as I walked into my office in the morning. I don't know how it started but they were getting heated. I couldn't see who it was as they were out of my sight. After 2 minutes, I heard " fuck you, you dirty moor". Then, I see this Native looking dude sprint away but no one was chasing him. Was a bizarre incident.

Moor? What is this guy, some out of work Shakespearian actor? "I bite my thumb at you, dirty moor!" You should have yelled back, "A plague upon your house!"

Slayven

I feel the same way about movies. I love some movies that would get rated as shit. Like the classic "White Chicks".

I feel the same way about movies. I love some movies that would get rated as shit. Like the classic "White Chicks".

Don't worry a lot of gaf (and people on the internet) like shitty movies Speed Racer, Avengers, Iron Man 3, Captain America... list can go on for days. Although at least White Chicks has some funny shit in it.

Nah I just have standards when it comes to films. Unless it comes to comedy. I have very low standards when it comes to comedy. Captain America is the equivalent of Green Lantern but gets a pass because it was made by Marvel. Avengers is just a glorified Transformer movie without the racism.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Don't worry a lot of gaf (and people on the internet) like shitty movies Speed Racer, Avengers, Iron Man 3, Captain America... list can go on for days. Although at least White Chicks has some funny shit in it.

your taste in movies to hate never ceases to suprise me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom