• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't ask for anything from my kids.

I get my father a gift every year though. We weren't always close and once I stopped being an asshole kid I grew to appreciate the dude.

Retired cop. Shot twice non life threatening but shot twice nonetheless, and he's a prostate cancer survivor.

Side note I love my old man but I'm a momma's boy. She survived in the banking industry for 24 years before moving on to the DMV, and she's a breast cancer survivor.

Onemic

I remember one year it was real bad. Every five minutes, someone posting another angry status about their old man.

For me, Father's Day was the last day I saw my old man alive, so I don't even log onto social networks on FD. Would rather spend the day remembering my pops than read a bunch of bitterness.

damn, where do y'all live?

Imm0rt4l

207848_10150139801926506_508231505_6705679_1582395_n.jpg

I wonder how she feels about her father in law voting against MLK day.

Is it getting to the point its turning into secret invasion in here. Whose black and who isn't. Lol. Any who I think E3 is gonna be bloody this year.I'm actually excited. And yes I'm black I am of the light skinned variety.

And fuck fathers day.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
It's just the 'holier than thou' mentality GAF has sometimes. I can understand being hyped for the game, I am as well. But when it doesn't get the score you want, CONSPIRACY THEORIES ABOUND

It's embarrassing, and sheds light as to why many don't take the industry and gamers seriously.

I wanted to make a new thread but I didn't know how to phrase is properly.

Black-gaf, How would you react if someone called you a "moor"?

I was at work and I could hear this argument outside my window as I walked into my office in the morning. I don't know how it started but they were getting heated. I couldn't see who it was as they were out of my sight. After 2 minutes, I heard " fuck you, you dirty moor". Then, I see this Native looking dude sprint away but no one was chasing him. Was a bizarre incident.

It's just the 'holier than thou' mentality GAF has sometimes. I can understand being hyped for the game, I am as well. But when it doesn't get the score you want, CONSPIRACY THEORIES ABOUND

It's embarrassing, and sheds light as to why many don't take the industry and gamers seriously.

To be fair, I'm not sure this kind of thing even extends into real life. It seems like internet foolishness for the sake of it. Try to imagine a circle of people arguing about review scores of something they haven't even touched yet. Sometimes I think people aren't even people when they're posting online. Just some caricatures or something. It shouldn't be possible to know what a motherfucker is going to say 90% of the time.

Imm0rt4l

nerds raging on Polygon giving The Last of Us a 7.5

c'mon y'all

average review from an untrustworthy source. Par for the course.

To be fair, these sorts of things aren't really all that farfetched. Publishers take metacritic into account if you didn't know, Sessler has a rant about this.

I'm copping regardless

I wanted to make a new thread but I didn't know how to phrase is properly.

Black-gaf, How would you react if someone called you a "moor"?

I was at work and I could hear this argument outside my window as I walked into my office in the morning. I don't know how it started but they were getting heated. I couldn't see who it was as they were out of my sight. After 2 minutes, I heard " fuck you, you dirty moor". Then, I see this Native looking dude sprint away but no one was chasing him. Was a bizarre incident.

Depends on the tone/context.

I personally see that word and instantly think of Azeem. "Did God paint you?"

Name the movie.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
average review from an untrustworthy source. Par for the course.

To be fair, these sorts of things aren't really all that farfetched. Publishers take metacritic into account if you didn't know, Sessler has a rant about this.

I'm copping regardless

Been laughing at the whole thing for ages. I don't like survival horror, and sold my ps3 last year, so no big deal for me.

Also i'm not sure how far reaching the metacritic thing is, at least in terms of developer contracts.

Imm0rt4l

Been laughing at the whole thing for ages. I don't like survival horror, and sold my ps3 last year, so no big deal for me.

Also i'm not sure how far reaching the metacritic thing is, at least in terms of developer contracts.

It reaches much farther than it should. I don't put a terrible lot of stock in reviews, but I do use it to supplement my decision on whether to purchase a game. For example, I'm not a big bioshock fan, and seeing rave reviews for infinite didn't compel me to buy it, but I sure as hell wanted to rent it to see what all the fuss was a bout. At the end of the day, I'm glad I didn't buy it.

These sort of debacles are harder to really judge in the present, much easier to look back at them. Twilight Princess 8.8 was a fine score honestly. God hand getting a 3.0 was a Huge Mistake. Metacritics has GTA4 as one of the highest rated of all time. Everyones entitled to their opinions, some peoples happen to suck. I can't say any of the reviews for tlou suck until I've played the game. I only really have a problem if you compromise a review for external reasons/have an ulterior motive.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
It reaches much farther than it should. I don't put a terrible lot of stock in reviews, but I do use it to supplement my decision on whether to purchase a game. For example, I'm not a big bioshock fan, and seeing rave reviews for infinite didn't compel me to buy it, but I sure as hell wanted to rent it to see what all the fuss was a bout. At the end of the day, I'm glad I didn't buy it.

These sort of debacles are harder to really judge in the present, much easier to look back at them. Twilight Princess 8.8 was a fine score honestly. God hand getting a 3.0 was a Huge Mistake. Metacritics has GTA4 as one of the highest rated of all time. Everyones entitled to their opinions, some peoples happen to suck. I can't say any of the reviews for tlou suck until I've played the game. I only really have a problem if you compromise a review for external reasons/have an ulterior motive.

Like this?

Seems that today an Italian website broke the embargo, coming out with this:
http://i.imgur.com/0woOnjk.jpg

They retired the review, then some hours later...
http://i.imgur.com/QAFvRlg.jpg

I don't know if it's true or fake, but in the first case I would not surprised: most of the videogame 'journalists' in my country are monkeys without ethics and guts. And people like this deserve 365 days per year of shitstorm.

Imm0rt4l

Funny how the developer responsible for jumpstarting the cinematic bullshit everyone complains about apparently can do no wrong.

I like Naughty Dogs cinematic bullshit

For what it's worth, I don't think they jumpstarted anything, they simply do it better than the rest. MGS was at one point the bastion of cinematic presentation in videogames lol.

Gorillaz

Funny how the developer responsible for jumpstarting the cinematic bullshit everyone complains about apparently can do no wrong.

talking about ND? it's mainly because of the "charm" there games have. Stuff like Uncharted 2 clicked for people because of it. Same for The Last of Us apparently.

Naughty Dog and Rockstar are really the only 2 that can get away with being cinematic and still have alot of love from people

Apparently, The Last of Us isn't just Uncharted with zombies, so if you don't like the Uncharted trilogy, that doesn't mean you won't like TLOU. There's a real emphasis on survival, living that PartTimeWarrior struggle life looking for broken bottles and makeshift medicine. You can't hide behind chest-high walls and get your health back, you gotta put out weapons from your backpack, you can't survive crazy ass Nathan Drake jumps from explosions, etc.

Trey

Apparently, The Last of Us isn't just Uncharted with zombies, so if you don't like the Uncharted trilogy, that doesn't mean you won't like TLOU. There's a real emphasis on survival, living that PartTimeWarrior struggle life looking for broken bottles and makeshift medicine. You can't hide behind chest-high walls and get your health back, you gotta put out weapons from your backpack, you can't survive crazy ass Nathan Drake jumps from explosions, etc.

If they took the Snake Eater idea and made it better, I might give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom