• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorillaz

Superhero movies to me are just summer/popcorn flicks. I don't take them too seriously because it's all meant to be just a fun movie. Can't hate on The Avengers tho because that shit looked like a trainwreck in previews and on paper yet...it all worked.

Cap America was meh tho, shit felt like 2 hours of the movie was removed.

Do not try to engage Jerry in matters of the Avengers movie. He makes GJB seem like a Whedon fan.
But that dude never knew what he was talking about. I remember he asked what the auteur theory was after claiming he knew who Truffaut was and claimed he was a fan. And how do you know my name?

Game fanboys aint got shit on Movie fanboys

Most of the people I know that are Film snobs are actual well read, versed in the language of films, and know more about film than most of the so called "critics" online.

That Thor film could eat the fattest, blackest dick. The blandest of all Marvel movies.

That's my problem with Marvel films. They're just bland.

Slayven

But that dude never knew what he was talking about. I remember he asked what the auteur theory was after claiming he knew who Truffaut was and claimed he was a fan. And how do you know my name?

Most of the people I know that are Film snobs are actual well read, versed in the language of films, and know more about film than most of the so called "critics" online.

You fam now, we know all about you. We even run credit checks, despite it being a waste of time.

Kaizer

Banned
OT Gaf makes speed racer sound amazing, I gotta admit I want to see it.

I still don't get the hype, "Ooooh zany colors! Masterpiece!" I watched it and thought it was a decent movie, but nothing really spectacular. Sorta similar to Avatar, good visual feast, decent/subpar everything else.

I still don't get the hype, "Ooooh zany colors! Masterpiece!" I watched it and thought it was a decent movie, but nothing really spectacular. Sorta similar to Avatar, good visual feast, decent/subpar everything else.
image.php
I approve of the avatar.

DominoKid

ESPN: When The Beautiful Game Turns Ugly

great article about the cultural revolution going on in Italy right now. you should read it.

an excerpt:
A black Italian, in full

Balotelli understands the kids in the refugee camp. When he was their age, what he wanted most of all was to fit in, to be like the people around him. A biographer, Mauro Valeri, told me that young Balotelli washed his hands in hot water to try to get the black off his skin. He also said Balotelli asked an elementary school teacher if his heart was black inside his chest. I don't know if these stories are true; I'm somewhat suspicious, since they read like something a white liberal Italian would want to be true.

A well-known Italian journalist told me to "triple check" those details because they did not sound like the Mario he knows. Balotelli has hidden his vulnerable younger self behind a peroxide blond mohawk and armor made of bravado. Well, almost hidden. Buried in a tabloid tell-all from an ex-girlfriend was a detail that rings too true to be made up. As a gift, he gave her a box, and on it he had written, "Please never hurt me," with a sad face drawn on it.

Like Eric Andrews, Balotelli liked how he felt with a ball at his feet. Across the street from the apartment building where he lived, in between the supermarket and the church, was a pitch. This was his real home. When he stepped in between the lines, he found a place where being different wasn't bad. All he had to do was go down a flight of stairs, go out the gate, cross the road, and navigate a patch of tall weeds between the street and the stadium. He seemed safe there, creating an Italy where he belonged. Maybe that's why he's said he'll never be forced from a pitch by racist chants. He'd be letting the hatred drive him from his home.

It wasn't officially his home, of course. He wasn't a citizen, kept from representing Italy at the Beijing Olympics in 2008 because his 18th birthday was four days after the opening ceremony. Ghana tried to get him to play for its team, but he refused.

He was Italian.

In Italy, some opposing fans chanted: "There are no black Italians."

When he turned 18, Balotelli applied for citizenship, which he received in the city hall of Concesio, standing next to the family that took him in 15 years before. He posed for a picture with his mother and father, who both smiled, holding on to each other's arms. Balotelli smiled, too, not a cover-boy shot but the modest smile of a son with his family. Balotelli made himself a T-shirt after that day: Not only am I perfect … I'm Italian, too.

A month later, he debuted for the Italian U-21 national team. Only four blacks have ever played for Italy, and Balotelli was the third. The first, Fabio Liverani, was only 12 years ago. People accepted him. His father was Italian. I visited Liverani in Rome, and he took me into a storage room off a hallway, where he keeps his jersey framed from that first game. Next to it, there are photographs, one taken during the national anthem. His eyes are red. He'd looked in the stands and found his mother, who moved to Italy from Somalia to begin a new life. She was crying, and then he cried, too. When he first got the news that he'd represent his country, he'd called his mom.

"Our dream came true," he told her.

Every time Liverani hears the national anthem, he remembers that day. He'd never felt so Italian. During the 2012 European Championships, Valeri said his research showed some Italians saw Balotelli singing the national anthem before the game and turned the game off, disgusted. Something about him is different. Even though he's not the first black player on the national team, he broke a much less known yet more significant barrier.

He was the first black soccer player to represent Italy who didn't have any Italian blood.

---

OT Gaf makes speed racer sound amazing, I gotta admit I want to see it.

it is amazing. the story's nothing special but it doesn't have to be. it's fucking Speed Racer, that shit was never that great story-wise. the story gets the job done.
it's like a drummer just playing in the cut keeping everything moving swiftly. a lot of anime/comic/game/etc adaptations miss how important that is.
but the fucking visuals... you gotta see that shit.

Oof, MS is sounding worse and worse by the day. It's getting to the point where it's passing my ability to believe the news and rumors.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
This is Sega's time to shine.

BELIEVE

i love sega. i really do. but id rather they never make another console if they cant get their shit together. to hear that infighting was their major downfall is fucking depressing

Don't worry a lot of gaf (and people on the internet) like shitty movies Speed Racer, Avengers, Iron Man 3, Captain America... list can go on for days. Although at least White Chicks has some funny shit in it.
Bro. Avengers is the perfect super hero film. Those other two are entertaining but flawed.

For some reason Verizon Fios eliminated their 25 up/25 down service here, so we're getting Fios Quantum for $10 extra a month:

2755151024.png

eat a dick 98% of America.

Bro. Avengers is the perfect super hero film. Those other two are entertaining but flawed.

I mean it's perfect if you want your superheros to be selfish prissy underdeveloped characters that squabble with each other like they were a part of Pop-Gaf for 2 hours then take part in an action scene worthy of being in transformers for the last 30 mins.

I mean it's perfect if you want your superheros to be selfish prissy underdeveloped characters that squabble with each other like they were a part of Pop-Gaf for 2 hours then take part in an action scene worthy of being in transformers for the last 30 mins.
As opposed to what? You looking for drama, romance and intrigue?

Avengers was meh, I don't even care that Thor/Captain America movies exist, Ironman 2 was lame, slayven and Prof Beef deserve some sort of punishment for their White Chicks appreciation.

I take it your a fan of the Nolan batman trilogy? Avengers was damn good, the only movie I seen 2 times in the theatre, both times it was a packed house with people going ham at every action scene

Onemic

Avengers did its job as a superhero popcorn flick. Lots of action, some comedy stuff, etc. In that regard it's a solid movie. As an actual movie though, it sucks.

If Avengers is a bad superhero movie,than whats good?

I wouldn't say bad, it's just not that good, and pretty forgettable.

What I would consider good: X-men (not sure if it holds up, haven't seen it in a few years), X-Men 2, The Dark Knight and Ironman. The new Superman looks promising.

edit: The cast of the original Spiderman trilogy made it impossible for me to enjoy it.

The first X-men? Morris, I'll respectfully disagree about the second one,, but you're going to have to explain how the first one is a compelling movie.

Onemic

What I would consider good: X-men (not sure if it holds up, haven't seen it in a few years), X-Men 2, The Dark Knight and Ironman. The new Superman looks promising.

edit: The cast of the original Spiderman trilogy made it impossible for me to enjoy it.

take out Xmen 2 and yes.

Xmen have not held up, I recently watched it and it makes Syfy orginal movies look good. The Dark Knight was the only Nolan batman that I enjoyed the other two I found boring

The opening scene of X2 was really cool, but I'd probable take first class over the whole trilogy.

And I loved bane as a character in the Dark Knight, until the very end of the movie that is

The first X-men? Morris, I'll respectfully disagree about the second one,, but you're going to have to explain how the first one is a compelling movie,

I edited in a bit, I won't fight for X-men at all. The movie came out 13 years ago, I was 11. I just have to never go back and re-watch it.

Nothing happened in Avengers. The intros were the best part of the movie. Forgettable as shit.

I liked the the Cap movie more than I did Avengers.

The opening scene of X2 was really cool, but I'd probable take first class over the whole trilogy.

And I loved bane as a character in the Dark Knight, until the very end of the movie that is

I forgot about First Class, surprisingly solid. Magneto killing nazis would have been a dope movie on its own.

TDKR has so many awesome things going for it but has by far the most flaws out of all 3 Nolan Batman flicks.

Xmen have not held up, I recently watched it and it makes Syfy orginal movies look good. The Dark Knight was the only Nolan batman that I enjoyed the other two I found boring

I have Xmen in mind through the eyes of a pre-teen boy and I plan to leave it that way lol.

I don't get the hard-on gaf has for Batman Begins, too cartoony for my tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom