• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Yeah this E3 is going to cost me some cash My mother caught the nintendo stuff so I got to get her a WiiU (and a lot of those games....) at least by Christmas including a ton of those games..... they did the smart move by appealing to their core fans.

Well I can now access gaf now. Just wow at some of the comments. And come Friday depending on some news I got a fucking story to tell you guys that will make your head spin BCT. I mean some real WTF shit. If I make it to Friday.

harSon

Banned
I actually think I came out of e3 wanting to purchase an XB1 at launch and waiting out the Playstation 4, when I thought it was likely that I'd be inclined to purchase both at launch, if not the inverse of the before mentioned scenario. The difference in price point is definitely a barrier, but I'm just not impressed by Sony's portfolio of games right now, which was definitely a huge surprise for me. Maybe things will change at Gamescom and TGS, but I was expecting a lot more from Sony's first party. I think the only exclusive PS4 title (that's going to realistically release within the first year of release) I truly want to play at this point is Infamous, and maybe Knack. The Last of Us, Beyond and Gran Turismo 5 should have definitely been Playstation 4 games. They would have shifted the balance completely.

ReiGun

Now that I've had time to think about it, I don't mind the paywall on PS4. Well, I mind in the sense I won't be able to get online anymore, but whatever. I can get by on single player games; fighters are really the only thing I play multi and I have no problem just going over a friend's place. And for as much shit as I give Square, I'll get FFXV, and maybe even KH (if I like the choices for Disney worlds).

I like Smash and Bayonetta so I'll get a Wii U. All the things that make it worse than the other two are things I honestly don't give a shit about. I just wanna play Mario Kart, dawg.

Xbone's DRM and always online shit killed it for me. No games will ever make up for that.

Either way, it's a few years out before I buy anything. Waiting for price cuts and all that.

iv23sGUDChkrs.gif

this is the stuff that classroom case studies are made of. unreal.

Sony used Dynamic Punch and MS is hurting itself in confusion. It's like a sony fanboy is in control of the universe right now.

harSon

Banned
Now that I've had time to think about it, I don't mind the paywall on PS4. Well, I mind in the sense I won't be able to get online anymore, but whatever. I can get by on single player games; fighters are really the only thing I play multi and I have no problem just going over a friend's place. And for as much shit as I give Square, I'll get FFXV, and maybe even KH (if I like the choices for Disney worlds).

I like Smash and Bayonetta so I'll get a Wii U. All the things that make it worse than the other two are things I honestly don't give a shit about. I just wanna play Mario Kart, dawg.

Xbone's DRM and always online shit killed it for me. No games will ever make up for that.

Either way, it's a few years out before I buy anything. Waiting for price cuts and all that.

I definitely understand why people would skip the console, and they're justified in that action, but I'd much rather play the games I want to play than be morally righteous over stuff that doesn't effect me personally. Plus I actually like the direction Microsoft is taking their console from a media perspective, especially if that leaked road map is indicative of their future plans, and that's a definite possibility considering almost everything else in that PDF is fact at this point.

I'm still buying both consoles at launch, but I'm probably going to scalp both depending on market demand.

BHZ Mayor

Well I can now access gaf now. Just wow at some of the comments. And come Friday depending on some news I got a fucking story to tell you guys that will make your head spin BCT. I mean some real WTF shit. If I make it to Friday.

Don't do nothing you might regret mang.

ReiGun

I definitely understand why people would skip the console, and they're justified in that action, but I'd much rather play the games I want to play than be morally righteous over stuff that doesn't effect me personally. Plus I actually like the direction Microsoft is taking their console from a media perspective, especially if that leaked road map is indicative of their future plans, and that's a definite possibility considering almost everything else in that PDF is fact at this point.

I'm still buying both consoles at launch, but I'm probably going to scalp both depending on market demand.
It's not about being morally righteous for me; I actually do buy used games, rent, and share with friends and I don't want to pay for live. lol I like the media features too honestly, but that's not a good enough reason to ignore my other gripes and buy the system. Currently, I'm just not the Xbox's target audience.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
If not for Bayonetta 2 and W101, I'd get a 3DS first, because it's lineup looks fucking gdlk at this point.

I'll probably upgrade my pc before I jump into next gen. Everything I saw that interested me from third parties, is getting a PC version. MS can piss off, so Sony it is.

any paywall can be justified with good services. I got a 360 before my ps3 because of that. However as the years passed MSFT allowed sony to match them in that area especially with playstation plus. The xbone vs 4 decision for me really came down to what each could provide me.

I've never had a problem with paying so long as it's worthwhile. I still personally feel like sony needs to say something about why they put multiplayer behind a paywall though. Just rubs me the wrong way with how they were so dead set against with the 3.

harSon

Banned
It's not about being morally righteous for me; I actually do buy used games, rent, and share with friends and I don't want to pay for live. lol I like the media features too honestly, but that's not a good enough reason to ignore my other gripes and buy the system. Currently, I'm just not the Xbox's target audience.

Oh, I know. That's just in my case. I personally don't buy used games, rent games or borrow them. And I can't remember the last time my internet has been down for longer than a handful of minutes, let alone 24 hours. It's just a complete non-issue for my circumstances, and I lack the moral conviction to boycott it along idealistic lines.

I am their target audience and I'm still not buying one. I have a great internet connection (fast, reliable, no cap), I can realistically afford to buy all my games day one, I pay for cable service...but naw. If didn't have a PC I would be hard pressed not to get one though. I can get all those multiplats on the PS4 for cheaper or as rentals and that'll hold me over til I build I new pc next year.

MS is just fucking up.

I think they could have gotten away with this stuff if they did it in increments. Introduced Live Platinum where you can install on the drive (but require a 24 hour check in and DRM), get access to free games like PS+, other stuff like cloud storage or some shit, maybe 1 free movie rental a month and make it the same price as Gold is currently or slightly more and knock Gold down by 5$ bucks a year with no DRM or check in.

Then further down the line this gen make platinum more compelling and when you launch the next Box make it mandatory and hope in that 5-8 year window tech has reached a point where you don't cut out 1/3 of your current install base.

ReiGun

I have no problem with PS+. It's a fine service, but just not one I personally have much need for. Which is why I don't have it now. So for me, I'd basically be playing just to play online. :/

If Sony could give me a good reason why online multiplayer cost money now, I could maybe justify it. But as it stands, it's a definite negative.

harSon

Banned
I have no problem with PS+. It's a fine service, but just not one I personally have much need for. Which is why I don't have it now. So for me, I'd basically be playing just to play online. :/

If Sony could give me a good reason why online multiplayer cost money now, I could maybe justify it. But as it stands, it's a definite negative.

I think Microsoft's service actually has a legitimate claim to costing money now, considering all games have access to dedicated servers hosted by Microsoft. There's still no reason functionality like Netflix and HBO Go should be locked behind Gold though, that's definitely bullshit.

ReiGun

I saw the Wii Fit Trainer video pop up on my twitter and I thought it was a troll.

Now this chick is my main. No questions asked.

Deprive

I think lots of people are waiting for the inevitable price drop. Only the silliest of Nintendo fans would pay $350 in order to wait until 2014.

No doubt. At $350 vs PS4 $399, there is no fucking point. Wii U need's to be dropped to $250. I don't think Nintendo will bother doing a price drop for it this year though. I could see the 3DS getting one because of Pokemon.

I think lots of people are waiting for the inevitable price drop. Only the silliest of Nintendo fans would pay $350 in order to wait until 2014.

My friend bought his day 1. He hasn't played much besides NSMB, and that was until his Wii U broke. Then when they shipped it back to him recently, it wasn't fixed.

My friend bought his day 1. He hasn't played much besides NSMB, and that was until his Wii U broke. Then when they shipped it back to him recently, it wasn't fixed.

No doubt. At $350 vs PS4 $399, there is no fucking point. Wii U need's to be dropped to $250. I don't think Nintendo will bother doing a price drop for it this year though. I could see the 3DS getting one because of Pokemon.

The 3DS is so much more tempting to me right now. I might give in when pokemon comes out.

harSon

Banned
That game X by Monolith is probably top 5 games at e3 for me. Looks so fucking good.

Edit: I haven't played Pokemon since Red/Blue back in 2nd/3rd grade haha

Silver was the last one I played. I'm most definitely in the minority but I hate all the extra stuff they've added over the years. I just want a light rpg with pokemon damn it.

It still is that. Most of the changes were to balance out the competitive metagame so that nothing was too overpowered. But then Dragons ended up clocking everyone which is why they're introducing the new type.

ReiGun

I loves me some pokeymans, so I'll definitely be getting a 3DS this year for that and Megaten IV.

Lol what is this. I need a link ha ha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBoL1Ic9uWw

It still is that. Most of the changes were to balance out the competitive metagame so that nothing was too overpowered. But then Dragons ended up clocking everyone which is why they're introducing the new type.
Word. Dragons have needed a new weakness for a minute. Just Ice and their own fucking type wasn't doing it.

FyreWulff

First day at e3 done. Wasn't as unmanageable as I thought it would be.

Mariokart 8 is a very nice looking game. Driving feels so good. Didn't like the wii version.

harSon

Banned
I never understood why they never make a handheld-esque Pokemon game for consoles. Shit would probably sell a shit ton of consoles by itself. Although I suppose the margins are better on handheld games with dated graphics.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Just had a week long vacation in North Carolina for a friend's wedding. Absolutely beautiful part of the country, the plants and wildlife were gorgeous and the Smokey Mountains were astounding. Apparently the bugs really loved me though as I came away with several spider and mosquito bites. The spider bites are the real bitch because the skin bruises in a ring around the bite due to the venom. I usually hold a truce with spiders as they eat the more annoying insects but this week just destroyed that so the next eight-legged freak I see is getting its legs pulled off slowly and painfully.

Coincidentally my road trip and experience with led me to really disconnect from most of the Internets for about a week. Really felt good, too. Almost pulled the plug on my forum going entirely as since returning I didn't feel the desire to even bother to catch up with what I'd missed. And that's with E3 week as well!

...But then it all changed since I forgot I have a shitty tech support job that requires me to sit at a fucking desk 8 hours a day and listen to people scream obscenities over the phone at someone they've never met and (contrary to common threat) never will. So I figured 'what the hell' and jumped back in. A good portion of my work hours might as well return to browsing NeoGAF and catching up on the console wars hilarity.

DominoKid

I never understood why they never make a handheld-esque Pokemon game for consoles. Shit would probably sell a shit ton of consoles by itself. Although I suppose the margins are better on handheld games with dated graphics.

that shit makes too much sense so Nintendo won't do it.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Wii Fit Trainer as a character is extremely quirky and completely out of nowhere. I think it's hilarious and a great choice to add to the roster. Glad it's coming to 3DS, as I still plan to get one sometime down the line.

Also here is a pretty decent breakdown of the current gaming system stats.

platformsdjuah.png

Say what you want about Nintendo, I'd buy the majority of the Wii U games they showed today.

Mario Kart 8 looks better than expected.

Wonderful 101 looks great.

DKCR:TR is probably gonna be better than the first.

3D World looks good (and I've never played 3D Land so the whole style will be new to me).

Pikmin 3 gonna be good.

Smash Bros should be good (please, speed it up from Brawl).

And most importantly...

BAYONETTA 2

BAYOFUCKINGNETTA TWOOOOOOOO *tears*

I feel the same way. Definitely buying at least 4 of those which is more than I can say for Sony and MS. Sony knocked it out with price/DRM but tbh I don't want one.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Wii Fit Trainer as a character is extremely quirky and completely out of nowhere. I think it's hilarious and a great choice to add to the roster. Glad it's coming to 3DS, as I still plan to get one sometime down the line.

Also here is a pretty decent breakdown of the current gaming system stats.

platformsdjuah.png

why even put the pc up there? all those variable specs dont really speak well against the next gen hardware, even though pcs will be more powerful

FyreWulff

Lets be honest though.

1) pc online play is free because someone else is paying for the dedi

2) the actual target spec of mass market pc games is s behind the curve, unless you sent to sell to like a thousand people. Even the wii u has a four mil install base.

Gorillaz

I don't get how Nintendo has yet to make Pokemon even more huge on console...that shits gets me too

I mean if that shit turned into an MMO or close to it on Wii U it would be huge. Then again they are just learning how to make and deal with DLC so maybe it's too much to ask for but man they are leaving all that money on the table

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom