• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

recorded footage of FyreWulf's reaction to this recent development:

Jesus-Camp-Dino.gif

Imm0rt4l

Thoughts? Gator gave Avengers high praise, so I took his MoS opinion with some salt.

edit: harson get on those red box codes. I beat BioShock and Saints Row for like 6 bucks total and that's just because I was too lazy to return SR for a few days.
I thought it was good. The trailers gives you a pretty good indicator of what to expect. Its not a fun sort of flick like avengers is(I thought avengers was OK). MoS has like zero humor, it takes itself very seriously and if not for the subject matter it wouldnt seem like a comic book movie. The color palette is really desaturated, flashback piano music is really somber and gets played out honestly, its shot really well. The movie conveys a very bleak feel which in turn bolsters the moments of hopefulness. The score isn't anything special. Henry cavil has great screen presence and is THE definitive superman imo. Zodds characterization was done really well, he's surprisingly not one dimensional while still fulfilling all the required super villain tropes. Action is on point of course, but it is kinda jarring going from something like a malick flick to straight dbz shit. Punches weren't pulled, reminds me of the animated series where supes and darkseid go at it, tossing each other through buildings with wanton disregard, a lot of places get trashed. Don't let rotten fool you, this movie shits on superman returns from a great height, not that this is much of an accomplishment.

FreeMufasa

Are there seriously people out there that think Malcolm X wasn't justified in what he was saying? Saw a post on another forum describing him as crazy for saying defend yourself did someone touches you.

Are there seriously people out there that think Malcolm X wasn't justified in what he was saying? Saw a post on another forum describing him as crazy for saying defend yourself did someone touches you.

I unfortunately do 't know a whole lot about Malcolm, something I need to correct. From my experience, history lessons where I'm from likes to fast forward through Malcolm and focus on Martin's kinder gentler message. All we really hear about him is that he was 'a radical'.

DominoKid

Taking my dad out to dinner tonight.

Man folks dont like Malcolm because they were afraid of him.

I unfortunately do 't know a whole lot about Malcolm, something I need to correct. From my experience, history lessons where I'm from likes to fast forward through Malcolm and focus on Martin's kinder gentler message. All we really hear about him is that he was 'a radical'.

He was radical at first, calmed down, didn't want anything to do with the Nation of Islam anymore and was killed for it.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Going to take pops to dinner and see a movie most likely. Wish there was something better than Man of Steel out (sorry ReiGun) but that's likely what we'll see. Maybe convince him to see This is the End or Into Darkness in 3D.

Some people love to compare Xavier and Magneto to them if it helps. Both did a lot to move the movement forward. Some people say one was a more proactive approach(by any means necessary) and a peaceful coexistence(non violence, we shall overcome). Both powerful speakers. If you get a chance read "The Autobiography of Malcolm X". Give you a lot of incite into the man. It was written by both Malcolm and Alex Haley(Roots).

Kreed

Some people love to compare Xavier and Magneto to them if it helps. Both did a lot to move the movement forward. Some people say one was a more proactive approach(by any means necessary) and a peaceful coexistence(non violence, we shall overcome). Both powerful speakers. If you get a chance read "The Autobiography of Malcolm X". Give you a lot of incite into the man. It was written by both Malcolm and Alex Haley(Roots).

I have never liked the Magneto comparison (despite Malcolm X being his character source) because "traditional" Magneto was wrong / evil. Malcolm X had a different approach to the issue but he wasn't a "bad guy" or "wrong" vs Martin.

I have never liked the Magneto comparison (despite Malcolm X being his character source) because "traditional" Magneto was wrong / evil. Malcolm X had a different approach to the issue but he wasn't a "bad guy" or "wrong" vs Martin.

Totally agree. Hence why I elaborated. And early Mags was a damn supervillian. Later when the character was fleshed out did the comparisons come about.

BlackJace

Father's Day always reminds me of what Chris Rock said during the FD episode of Everybody Hates Chris

"We all love my Dad, but everyone knows that, unlike Mother's Day, Father's Day is over by 11 o'clock."

not doing much for fathers day. Dropped my youngest son off in SC because my old man wanted to spend time with his grandsons for fathers day. They going camping and fishing and what not followed by a trip to Carowinds.

Personally I'll be spending some QT with my oldest. My daughter and I went to see Man of steel on yesterday. She and her mother have something planned for me for tomorrow but I don't know what it is.

harSon

Banned
Just got back from Man of Steel with my dad. Strong start, so-so middle, and strong final act.
I know people like their dogs, but running into a tornado to save them? I lost it. They could have at least gone with a baby/small child...

Just got back from Man of Steel with my dad. Strong start, so-so middle, and strong final act.
I know people like their dogs, but running into a tornado to save them? I lost it. They could have at least gone with a baby/small child...

thank you!!!!! I didn't want to be the first to post it. Man my daughter and I looked at each other like WTF!!! The kicker; we was sitting smack dab in the middle of about 9 or so white folks and they was either A) teary eyed or B) straight boo hooing.

Slayven

nah.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
thank you!!!!! I didn't want to be the first to post it. Man my daughter and I looked at each other like WTF!!! The kicker; we was sitting smack dab in the middle of about 9 or so white folks and they was either A) teary eyed or B) straight boo hooing.

Same.

My row of niggas let out a mighty jungle laugh at that scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom