• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
you speak out of turn one more time and im gonna be using your scrotum as a change purse

come now satch. you know they would murder wondy in the movie world. make her something shes not. like halle berrys catwoman.

which is what i fear from superman. zack snyder directing makes me feel theres some edge there that shouldnt be in a supes movie

you speak out of turn one more time and im gonna be using your scrotum as a change purse

WoOFnAL.jpg

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
come now satch. you know they would murder wondy in the movie world. make her something shes not. like halle berrys catwoman.

which is what i fear from superman. zack snyder directing makes me feel theres some edge there that shouldnt be in a supes movie

you're thinking too much.

stop it.

and go watch american goku aka super jesus aka perfect hair forever save/destroy the world

Well I have to hold off on the Last of Us. Just don't ask why.

I'm also watching Reincarnated the story of how Snoop Dogg was reborn as Snoop Lion. Its on Netflix and so far its been damn good. The quotes from Farrakhan about the parallels of pimps hit me. It was fucking solid. Gives you some incite into Snoops rise with Death Row and with No Limit from his words. I think you should check it out.

royalan

Anybody in here use the Curly Girl Method?

A few weeks ago I got a little curious because I've been hearing about it everywhere, so I read up on it. Avoiding shampoos with silicones and sulfates...made sense. Didn't see what was so girl specific about it, and I tend to keep my hair on the long side, so I decided to give it a shot.

Went to Sally's Beauty Supply and picked up some really fucking expensive cleansing conditioner (Wen, all natural, silicone and sulfate free. Took it home and gave it a try.

Was a bit disappointed at first.

My hair didn't feel any different, in fact afterwards my hair lacked that "squeaky clean" sensation that I'm used to, and I was tempted to go back to my standard shampoo (garnier fructis). But then I remembered reading that it takes some time before you start to notice a difference, and I'd already bought this expensive-ass shampoo, and my hair didn't smell (which was my big concern). So I figured I'd give it a few weeks.

Tonight, I noticed a difference for the first time.

Got out of the shower and towel-dried my hair, and even after it was completely dry a little over an hour later I noticed that my hair still felt really soft, and had more of a natural curl. Also not nearly as frizzy as it usually is after I've washed but before I put product in.

I don't really have a "before" shot, but trust me: I sent it to my mommy and she noticed a difference.

So, anybody else go "sulfate free" when it's time to shampoo? I have to admit I'm still not quite use to that lack of a squeaky clean sensation--it definitely feels like there's still something in your hair when you're done washing--but my hair doesn't smell or get flaky afterwards, so I guess that's a good thing?

Overall, I'm pretty pleased. Think I might do this long-term.

Imm0rt4l

Never done anything all that special with my hair. I tried a new barber recently, cuts much better than dude who's been cutting it for the past year. So I'm switching barbers even though its farther.
What's the product you're using?

DominoKid

Roy how old are you? Got grays already lol.

As for hair the most special thing I've done is the Usher mohawk cut I'm rocking now. I did have an afro before that but I didn't do anything with it. My mom basically drilled it in my head from a young age that pretty much any popular black hairstyle (dreads, rows, styled cuts) other than a fresh cut is for thugs so I'm not that imaginative w/ it. She loves my current cut though even though she thought it was a terrible idea when I decided to do it.

royalan

Never done anything all that special with my hair. I tried a new barber recently, cuts much better than dude who's been cutting it for the past year. So I'm switching barbers even though its farther.
What's the product you're using?

I bought this stuff called "Wen" but really I think you could use anything. The important thing is that the shampoo and conditioner you use contain little to no sulfates and silicones and there was an entire shelf of that stuff at the place I went to. Wen advertised having NO sulfates though, so I figured I'd go cold-turkey.

I've even read about some people cowashing, not using shampoo at all and just cleaning their hair with conditioner (which is naturally sulfate-free in most cases). I think I might give that a shot eventually. This Wen shit is kinda costly.

Roy how old are you? Got grays already lol.

As for hair the most special thing I've done is the Usher mohawk cut I'm rocking now. I did have an afro before that but I didn't do anything with it. My mom basically drilled it in my head from a young age that pretty much any popular black hairstyle (dreads, rows, styled cuts) other than a fresh cut is for thugs so I'm not that imaginative w/ it. She loves my current cut though even though she thought it was a terrible idea when I decided to do it.

I'm 27, but honestly I've had grays in the front (and only the front!) since I was 17. It's a family trait, I think.
I'm quite fond of the salt and pepper now, actually. ;___;

How long is your hair with style you have now?

I've been rocking the same barber for the last year. Every 15 days 20 bones and I look fucking solid. I call him when I'm coming through and I'm in front of the line no wait.

DominoKid

I bought this stuff called "Wen" but really I think you could use anything. The important thing is that the shampoo and conditioner you use contain little to no sulfates and silicones and there was an entire shelf of that stuff at the place I went to. Wen advertised having NO sulfates though, so I figured I'd go cold-turkey.

I've even read about some people cowashing, not using shampoo at all and just cleaning their hair with conditioner (which is naturally sulfate-free in most cases). I think I might give that a shot eventually. This Wen shit is kinda costly.

I'm 27, but honestly I've had grays in the front (and only the front!) since I was 17. It's a family trait, I think.
I'm quite fond of the salt and pepper now, actually. ;___;

How long is your hair with style you have now?

The middle part is maybe like half an inch. Grows pretty thick though. Before i got it cut down it was getting to 3 inches fully picked. Legit afro. Hella unruly.

Edit: that Wen stuff is dope. I used it at my aunts house for about 2 weeks over xmas and my hair never felt better.

RedSwirl

She's just mad there hasn't been a good live action Wonder Woman in 35 years, and even back then it was questionable.

I'm mad about it too

They're just trying to not fuck it up so it can open the door for female leads in Hollywood.

...at least that's what I hope producers up there are thinking -- opening up female leads as another revenue source would seem smart to me.

Gorillaz

I've been rocking the same barber for the last year. Every 15 days 20 bones and I look fucking solid. I call him when I'm coming through and I'm in front of the line no wait.

damn and I thought 17 buck was pushing it.

Barbers be getting away with them high prices but it's like they know people ain't going to pass it

ReiGun

I saw what Clark did. It was okay. I had fun, but it could have been better. Hopefully the sequel makes the necessary improvements.

cdyhybrid

I enjoyed Man of Steel. I wasn't a huge Supes fan growing up though, so I dunno if that taints my opinion. Was a Batman/Spidey/X-Men kid.

Supes is gonna be the new goal body in the fitness community though. Thor just got dethroned.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing

Barbers be getting away with them high prices but it's like they know people ain't going to pass it

Price sounds right. Here its £10 ($15). Further up north, i used to get my cut, shape up and shave for £5 - £7.

cdyhybrid

This sample on Yeezus...the Nina Simone Chipmunk version of Strange Fruit is giving me chills. Just the visuals it gives me, it's disturbing.

Sad but true. There will always be unsatisfied fans when a franchise goes to film, but Wonder Woman is under more scrutiny from just folks like Satch. You'll have every person with an interest in how women are portrayed in comics and in movies eyeballing a Wonder Woman movie. Is she too sexy? Is she not sexy enough? Does she need help from a man to get every thing done? Does she have ice cream orgasms (what the hell, David E. Kelley?)? Etc, etc, etc.

Hollywood will screw up a Wonder Woman movie. It's not even a guess. They will either pick a good actress who won't have good movie fighting skills (example: Zoe Saldana in Columbiana), or they'll pick a woman with good movie fighting skills who can't act (example: Gina Carano in Haywire, and I love that movie and Gina Carano).

Sorry Satch.

Satch

Banned
um juaT

i already know that a wonder woman movie would be shit

it is reason number one why i never participate in any of the hypothetical wonder woman movie related threads ever, even when people attempt to bait me into joining

Satch

Banned
Maybe I like superhero movies a lot because im not into comics that much.

yall nerds are hard to please

none of my complaints that i hold against MoS have to do with Superman himself because im hardly a Superman fan

they all have to do with subpar execution that held the film back from its potential

i mean, my only complaint when watching trailers before this movie came out was that the colors werent bright enough for me

A cut normally cost 10. It got bumped to 14. But when I was coming up I was always told to tip your barber well. And if a motor scooter can't cut your hair solid for 20 then he ain't shit. On top of that I got this cat on call he good peoples. Don't mind it cause a shop is supposed to be a spot that you look good relax and get that sage advice. One of the only things I splurge on.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
um juaT

i already know that a wonder woman movie would be shit

it is reason number one why i never participate in any of the hypothetical wonder woman movie related threads ever, even when people attempt to bait me into joining

The biggest problem is finding an actresses who can well act and has the physical profile. Outside of that just stick to the origin story (maybe stick to the newer one cause that easier to sell than she is made of clay) and have her fight a god/monster like Thor has been doing and it would be far from sucking. Hell if the studio is scared guys won't go they should just sign a male action star to be Steve travor.

ReiGun

Man of Steel was actually brighter than the trailers led me to believe. Every time it was dark, either in color or mood, it felt appropriate.

The movie needed a stronger script (Goyer is a decent writer, but his style is unsuited for Superman. Dude can't do heartfelt or uplifting, try as he might. Also, dat dialogue was spotty) and better editing/pacing. "Undercooked" is the best word I've heard to describe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom