• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grill master rayven checking in. It was my mom's 60th birthday yesterday somehow I got tricked into barbecuing meat for about 30 folks

w1oKgNi.jpg

I was probably on my 3rd tray of Meat at this point and thirsty as fuck with no booze anywhere in the house. Old lady comes out "is the sausage done?" I take off my shades #instantBlackGuyStare "oh i'll just leave you to it then".

Slayven

Grill master rayven checking in. It was my mom's 60th birthday yesterday somehow I got tricked into barbecuing meat for about 30 folks

I was probably on my 3rd tray of Meat at this point and thirsty as fuck with no booze anywhere in the house. Old lady comes out "is the sausage done?" I take off my shades #instantBlackGuyStare "oh i'll just leave you to it then".

Look like that food popped a molly and got you sweating.

DominoKid

RK it's too gotdamn hot to be wearing 2 shirts. And you standing in front of a grill too? jeeeeeeeeeesus.

sn: Spins gonna end up on TCAP from Animal Crossing lmao.

Imm0rt4l

Should it be posted in the mark henry thread?

white-wimenz.gif
Its not a good image to convey imo, joking or not. I wouldn't give all of gaf enough credit to take it as a joke. Feeds right into that "only black women who are attractive have Caucasian features bullshit". Might be seen as more meta than half joking commentary or self deprecating humor.

Anyone ever had to flat out stop talking/ignore a person who was a close friend because of all the shit they get into?

Just...this person keeps putting themselves in fucking awful scenarios that hits me hard and it's getting to the point where I don't want to even communicate with them anymore based off the stress.

And yea, I've tried being the good friend and offering advice, being there for them, etc, but it's been a couple of years of this now and I think I'm done.

feelsbad

Nobody wants to be around somebody who's ALWAYS down, because they'll pull you down, too. If you see people out and about and you think, "Shit, here comes another sad story with this nigga again...", you should probably rethink your connection with that person, if at all possible(sometimes you work with that person or go to school with them, so it could be harder to avoid).

Yea man, the sad songs are just tearing me apart.

Only question is do you confront them and tell them some real talk or do you just ignore them? I don't know. PRobably the former, but its kind of cold blooded.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Don't enable a sympathy simp. You're #partoftheproblem if you keep giving someone like that who refuses or is unable to change a shoulder to cry on. They are just coming back every time to get that established pat on the head.

Kaizer

Banned
Anyone ever had to flat out stop talking/ignore a person who was a close friend because of all the shit they get into?

Just...this person keeps putting themselves in fucking awful scenarios that hits me hard and it's getting to the point where I don't want to even communicate with them anymore based off the stress.

And yea, I've tried being the good friend and offering advice, being there for them, etc, but it's been a couple of years of this now and I think I'm done.

feelsbad

Either tell them to grow up or cut them off. Had to do the latter to a friend of mine a few years ago. We were close for years and then just started going in different directions, him hanging out with the wrong people and doing stupid shit all the time. He finally got it together though, ended up joining the military to keep himself disciplined. Sometimes it doesn't work out and you just have to let people do them.

BHZ Mayor

If it gets to the point where if you see that person's name on the caller ID, and the first thing you think is "Fuck!", then you should cut that person off. They WILL bring you down with them.

cdyhybrid

by now I figured we've all heard that Yeezus so i got a question.

you feel any kind of way about Kanye flipping Strange Fruit into a hype dance jam (Blood on the Leaves)?
because that shit really threw my folks off when i've played the album for them.

I already kinda mentioned my view, but I'll flesh it out a bit more. On one hand I can appreciate the balls it takes to tread into that territory (intentionally or not), to push boundaries with art.

On the other hand, it's pretty unsettling. Like the first time I heard the song, I was getting pretty hype, but then I started listening more closely on subsequent listens and it just got weird.

I'd say it's about 25% the former, 75% the latter.

DominoKid

I already kinda mentioned my view, but I'll flesh it out a bit more. On one hand I can appreciate the balls it takes to tread into that territory (intentionally or not), to push boundaries with art.

On the other hand, it's pretty unsettling. Like the first time I heard the song, I was getting pretty hype, but then I started listening more closely on subsequent listens and it just got weird.

I'd say it's about 25% the former, 75% the latter.

that was pretty much my reaction too. that sample is pretty much beat into my head more than anything from the album. so it'll just come to my mind at random times of the day.

Yea man, the sad songs are just tearing me apart.

Only question is do you confront them and tell them some real talk or do you just ignore them? I don't know. PRobably the former, but its kind of cold blooded.

I tried the real talk and they ended up cutting me off. My friends issue was he never let go of High School. Still smoking weed heavily, still jumping from women to women, no real desire to get a career. 2 charges for simple possession, a failed marriage and a failed engagement later he's 33 years old; back home with his mother and I have forget where I come from since I left home and moved to Raleigh NC.

DominoKid

I tried the real talk and they ended up cutting me off. My friends issue was he never let go of High School. Still smoking weed heavily, still jumping from women to women, no real desire to get a career. 2 charges for simple possession, a failed marriage and a failed engagement later he's 33 years old; back home with his mother and I have forget where I come from since I left home and moved to Raleigh NC.

damn. my single biggest fear is "failing at life" like that. that's why i have an existential crisis like every week because everything seems like it's just out of my reach. love, work, money, etc. i see other people having these things and i wonder why the hell things don't pop for me like that.

zon

feelsbad

I think that if you feel the friendship is worth having, then you might want to do some real talk. If you're lucky you might get your friend to snap out of it or at least start trying to better himself. Otherwise I say ditch him.

You tried. That's all you could have done in a case like this. Him cutting you off just makes it easier for you to get rid of him.

feelsbad
my brother don't let anyone take your happiness friend or not. I got family I've cut off because of their actions. You are the only one who can maintain your happiness.

you feel any kind of way about Kanye flipping Strange Fruit into a hype dance jam (Blood on the Leaves)?
because that shit really threw my folks off when i've played the album for them.
Its very strange. And very different.

Heard my lil' cousin got two babies on the way...from two different mommas...

I LOL'd on the phone and hung up on his ass. Dude is 20 working at Home Depot, living with his momma. That nigga is royally fucked for life.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

Yea...that threw me for a loop. I might be giving him more credit than he deserves, but I felt like it kind of fit, in a really superficial way: due to the actual lyrics he sings juxtaposed to the sample. Then I heard "Down For My N*****" and the ignorance level started rising. It's really odd that he went for this direction. It works though. Feels like he cut himself off of the tree and was out for vengeance, when the horns come in.

I LOL'd on the phone and hung up on his ass. Dude is 20 working at Home Depot, living with his momma. That nigga is royally fucked for life.

Lmao. Terrible.

Slayven

Damn I don't know how folks can bee about that life.

BlackJace

Shit was every day at my old job. Not a day goes by I'm not glad I got the hell out of there. Fucking retail management.

I'm in school right now, and it's even worse since they know that.

"Oh, it's not your career, so you'll do whatever we tell you do, you're just happy to see some money".

They don't even know.

You guys have fun......

I wanna be one of the cool kids.....

But alas there is a new addition to the family. 250 GB super slim PS3.

Time to get my recovery on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom