• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemic

That completely defeats the purpose though. They're packing it in so developers will actually give it the time of day. Peripherals that splinter the market are rarely successful in the long run. Yeah, it tacks on additional cost and not everyone wants it, but it's pretty much the only way to ensure that developers will contemplate utilizing it.

I personally still can't see the value in it even with it being forced down ours and developers throats. It's just like the wiimote gimmick to me and that didn't translate into making very compelling games that were better than just pressing a button.

The only bad thing about all this is that Nintendo won't even blink at the fact that they have the only region-locked home console. ¬_¬

I'll wait a couple years to see MS's full intentions (might just get to play dat Sunset Overdrive after all), but this is genuinely great news for everyone and sends a big message about how much power the consumer has.

Looking forward to the next CliffyB tweet.

That completely defeats the purpose though. They're packing it in so developers will actually give it the time of day. Peripherals that splinter the market are rarely successful in the long run. Yeah, it tacks on additional cost and not everyone wants it, but it's pretty much the only way to ensure that developers will contemplate utilizing it.

I know it gets painted as a chicken or the egg deal. Devs won't support it if no one has it and no one will want one if Devs don't support it. But MS has pushed a lot of money into it already and got lots of high profile devs to add kinect features in their games and I can't think of a single instance of it adding something substantial to any game.

Same goes for Sony's six axis controller. The tech itself doesn't lend itself to compelling gameplay. Even Nintendo barely could justify the wiimote with Galaxy, Zelda and Pikmin remakes and that was with it being the only and primary input device on a hugely successful console.

DominoKid

My favorite part about this is game journalists being wrong.
My least favorite part is game journalists never admitting they were wrong.

also I wonder how much generic angry gimmick englishman is crying on twitter.

this is actually my favorite part. few things make nerds angrier than being wrong.

shit still doesn't appeal to me as long as it's a $100 more for a pack-in don't care about. that and it being a weaker system.

Slayven

Anyone trying to spin this as anything other than good news needs to take a breath.

You can still not want one, but having a box like that out there was dangerous because of the chance it had to be successful regardless of have slim that chance was.

As for subsidy talk, I have no idea why cable/internet companies would be interested in helping push a box that is actively trying to get you out of their ecosystem of for sale/rent content.
That was my biggest fear was the xbone get successful enough that 3rd parties could bully Sony into doing that shit.

Gorillaz

I actually thought Sony would fall to the pressure tbh. IT seemed like it was only a matter of time until they would give in to EA,Ubisoft,etc.

Good to see MS back...wondering how EA feels right now lol

Man I got an opinion on this but I'm not about to type it with my phone. But to sum it up. Sales figures did their job. Not a fan of Microsoft but what they were trying to do was way to futurist for now. Props for them changing policy. Still have no interest in the system. Doesn't change the other established policies either. Killer instinct still looks like shit.

Good for the fans of the Xbox brand. I probably would have and will still get one eventually. Not concerned with a day one edition though. How it stands today the PC+WiiU+PS4+3DS combo is enough to keep my satisfied in the foreseeable future.

Besides. The wife would kill me if I got 2 4's and a xbone day one.

harSon

Banned
Man I got an opinion on this but I'm not about to type it with my phone. But to sum it up. Sales figures did their job. Not a fan of Microsoft but what they were trying to do was way to futurist for now. Props for them changing policy. Still have no interest in the system. Doesn't change the other established policies either. Killer instinct still looks like shit.

It actually looks really good.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You just know MS thought Sony was doing that shit too then E3 happened and they came back like, "THOSE MOTHER FUCKERS LIED TO US!"

Kreed

Good to see MS backed off that BS. They still need to drop that price though. Right now the PS4 seems like the better value.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
still playing with this gifcam

thumbs up or thumbs down?

ibw2Rf9zSsZvmV.gif

Good to see MS backed off that BS. They still need to drop that price though. Right now the PS4 seems like the better value.

It doesn't 'seem' like it, its far and away the better value still. I agree that MS needs to drop that price or unleash tons of games at gamescom/TGS which they're liable to do.

harSon

Banned
I don't think price is as big a factor now. I only felt they needed to match or undercut Sony's pricepoint because of the Used Game/DRM fiasco. But with sound marketing/advertising, I think they can overcome the $100 price differential. Things would be a hell of a lot easier if the console were cheaper, but it's not a deal breaker IMO.

Trey

The sooner console wars fucking die in the pits of Mordor, the better for everyone.

Yep. It's annoying how people are saying Sony saved the generation, when all they did was maintain the status quo. The consumers spoke and it was ultimately them that had MS shook.

I don't think price is as big a factor now. I only felt they needed to match or undercut Sony's pricepoint because of the Used Game/DRM fiasco. But with sound marketing/advertising, I think they can overcome the $100 price differential.

Price isn't a huge factor but it is significant. They were cheaper this entire generation and ended up behind Sony in worldwide units. Releasing at the same time and being more expensive is not a good look for them.

Gattsu25

Banned
My thoughts on this are pretty simple:

I'm glad Microsoft capitulated
I'm not going to support them because they declared their lack of interest in my rights

The thought that the Xbone might have been successful is what nagged at me. I'm okay with the Xbox 180 doing well, by contrast. However, they've demonstrated that they have no qualms shitting on what few consumer rights we still have.

I can't in good conscience support that.

Not saying I won't pick one up at a later date, used ;)

akira28

on the one hand she's an old ass white lady from the south so i'm not surprised

on the other hand... :/

yep. Racists. Like elvis and bigfoot and ufos...you fucking know they're out there. even though you can't see them, they're probably looking straight at you.

harSon

Banned
Price isn't a huge factor but it is significant. They were cheaper this entire generation and ended up behind Sony in worldwide units. Releasing at the same time and being more expensive is not a good look for them.

I doubt Microsoft cares about beating Sony. They care more about A) Making a profit B) Xbox Live adoption C) Expanding their marketshare and now D) Living Room penetration with its media capabilities. Beating out the competition is little more than PR fluff. If it happens, it happens, but their success isn't going to be dictated by it. Microsoft more than trippled its market share and transformed the Xbox platform into a highly profitable venture, while Sony's marketshare was cut in half on top of them fumbling away the profits of its previous two platforms and their company as a whole plummeting. That's the type of stuff that matters, improvements within your own brand. Not necessarily beating out the competition.

And of course the Playstation 3 outsold the 360. Japan never has and never will adopt an American console if there's legitimate Japanese competition. Apple just recently became top dog in Japan. Do you know who was hanging onto number one and two prior to that? Sharp and Fujitsu/Toshiba. That says a lot IMO.

They care more about A) Making a profit B) Xbox Live adoption C) Expanding their marketshare and now D) Living Room penetration with its media capabilities.

Certainly selling less units and losing consumers will prove detrimental to all of those goals. Their low price and early launch were invaluable to them gaining a foothold and getting people into their marketplace.

Kreed

It doesn't 'seem' like it, its far and away the better value still. I agree that MS needs to drop that price or unleash tons of games at gamescom/TGS which they're liable to do.

I don't think price is as big a factor now. I only felt they needed to match or undercut Sony's pricepoint because of the Used Game/DRM fiasco. But with sound marketing/advertising, I think they can overcome the $100 price differential. Things would be a hell of a lot easier if the console were cheaper, but it's not a deal breaker IMO.

I was just speaking about myself when I said they needed to drop the price. MS can easily just make the new Kinect out to be an amazing value and justify the 100 dollars extra to the average consumer. However it wouldn't hurt them to drop the price if they do still care about the hardcore, which based on this reversal they probably still do.

FyreWulff

The console still needs online for it's initial setup.

It's still online required. And nobody is going to let you bring your Bone into the library to hook it up.

Slayven

One of those obvious things.

I forget the name of the game but there was a wrestling game on the first xbox that had horrible bugs that they released a patch for. A coworker damn near begged me to take his xbox home and to update it. He lived in the boonies with dialup.

Kreed

The console still needs online for it's initial setup.

It's still online required. And nobody is going to let you bring your Bone into the library to hook it up.

Eh, that's not a serious deal breaker IMO. The system is wifi, you should be able to jack somebody's connection for a few minutes.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
whether it's a problem depends on whether it's just a short setup/authorization, or whether you actually have to download a whole system update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom