• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad got the "go find a switch" punishment too. If that shit broke, then he had to go get a stronger one. My grandma didn't play back then.

I think the worst whoopin' I ever got was when I got suspended on the last day of 8th grade. I was on academic probation (due to being late too many times) around the time when the entire 8th grade class was allowed to go on a trip to Great America. So after a week or two of being on probation, I went straight to the Assistant Principal and asked her "is there anything that would prevent me from going on the trip? I'm not in trouble or anything?" She said no, so I went.

The following Monday I get called into the office and I'm told that I wasn't allowed to go, therefore I'm suspended and can't go on stage later that day (still graduated though). I snapped at her and reminded her that she said nothing was stopping me from going and she played stupid, so I went home. I'm watching TV, and my mom kicks open the door to my room like the damn SWAT Team and starts beating the fuck out of me like I'm the car in Street Fighter 2. Ripped my favorite shirt at the time too, all the while yelling "HOW DO YOU FUCK UP SO BADLY? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU!?" I tried explaining to her what happened, but she was in that state of rage where anything you say just gets her angrier. When she was done, she left and went back to work since she was on her lunch break. :lol

A couple hours later, her boyfriend at the time came home and asked what happened. I told him everything, including the beatdown, and he promised to relay everything to her. When mom got home from work, she apologized, then called the school to find out what was up, but the assistant principal never called back so my mom referred to her as "the bitch" from then on.

Satch

Banned
im getting skronger and skronger everyday

yall wont even be safe from my destruction irl
ijGcGwqtFcCyR.gif

I'm cracking up over here. It was pretty much the same for me growing except no hands were laid on me and my brothers. It was all canes, belts and rattan. Unfortunately, I went to a Catholic school where the teachers were vicious. To be fair, all the schools condoned corporal punishment but my school had some teachers with creative solutions to punishing kids. The nuns were angels though. Lol

Upside of having no refuge by the time we were 10, my brother and I had become immune to the cane, but we made the mistake of showing that. That's when the punishment ratcheted up, stand in place on one leg with one on the floor 30 minutes to an hour at a time. After a couple of those and other similar punishments, I was done and got more sneaky/made sure not to get caught.

HomShaBom

Banned
Upside of having no refuge by the time we were 10, my brother and I had become immune to the cane, but we made the mistake of showing that. That's when the punishment ratcheted up, stand in place on one leg with one on the floor 30 minutes to an hour at a time. After a couple of those and other similar punishments, I was done and got more sneaky/made sure not to get caught.
MTw8edX.jpg

FyreWulff

I take back what I said during the pre-podcast (or was it during), the 360S mk 2 doesn't even have the AV plug, just a headphone jack with R/W/Y cables that plug in on the other hand for video

wat

I lived with my mom until I was 10, and she never hit me once. When I saw other kids catch a beating, I thanked the lord that I'd never get it as bad as they did. I never laughed either, because I couldn't say shit when I had diplomatic immunity all over my ass.

Then I had to live with my aunt and my dad in Antigua for a few years. My aunt was nice, but she'd get the strap and whip me just to get me out of bed in the morning, like I was some sort of mule. She never hit me hard, but she used precision strikes - hit me right in the tender spots.

But when I fucked up? That's when my dad got called over, with his thick-as-hell strap.

He lived on his own, and he was always busy with something, so I would never know when he'd come to beat me. Maybe today, maybe tomorrow, maybe next week. But when he was ready, he'd meet me at the doorway; and there was no way to sneak around the perimeter of the house, so I had to meet him head on every time.

And everytime we went around back for a beating, I tried to take it like a man...and was on the ground arched in pain after the first hit. The man had some sort of secret Antiguan technique - one lick had the power of 5 strikes, and it hit deep. He'd always lay 3 across my back, and only across the back - if I tried to take it on my shoulder or he missed or something, he'd stand me on my feet and aim again. Everytime I seriously fucked up, he'd come over with that thick strap and that Antiguan technique, and I'd feel like shit afterwards - for both crying like a baby during the whole thing, and because my back would still ache afterwards.

And I fucked up a lot, because I had a bad case of culture shock, so we did this dance a lot. So much so that I built up a tolerance towards the beatings. I'd still scream, but I'd do it on my feet. I even started taunting him after a while, which earned me more licks; but at that point I figured, "If I'm catching hell for something I can't even manage, I might as well make him as angry as I am".

Then, one day, he missed on the followthrough, and the end of his strap snapped back and nailed me in the eye. I spun around and started staggering back, clutching the right side of my face. He tried to settle me down, but I ended up falling back and knocked over the rain tank next to the house. About a month's worth of rainwater went into the backyard, and the barrel cracked from the fall.

He stopped beating me after that.

I tried running for the door once and got WWF clotheslined. Never again.

#JustMakeItQuick

I always ran from my mom. I could always count on tiring her out a bit before I got the whoopin.

I ran from my grandma once as soon as I saw the switch come out because I thought I was smart. I ran out of the house and hid at a neighbor's place w/ their kids. Grandma called her and had the neighbor put me on the phone talking about "You notice I didn't chase your dumbass right? Well, you can stay over there as long as you want to but you gotta come back sometime and I'll be waiting sooooooooooooo...*click*"

I didn't even try to run half the time.....when I did tho anywhere I hid I could hear the belt/switch smacking against a wall or whatever was close to my mom while she was looking or me.....it just kept getting louder...and louder....and louder

Goddamn, your parents are on some Nemesis shit.

man i remember this one time when i was 17 i was staying at my friend's house because i didn't want to drive back across town. dude gets a call, some folks want us to come to a party at like 12:30am. we get ready to leave and his mom catches us on the way out on some "where are you guys going" not even really mad or anything, just asking a bunch of questions. my dude is like "uuuuuuuuugh what's with all these stupid ass questions? shut the fuck up. we'll be back later."

believe me when i say that i flinched on instinct because i didn't want to get caught in the path of the slap that i KNEW was coming. i'm like "whoa man it aint that serious, we don't have to go."

"oh...okay, be safe." and she just turned around and walked away w/ her head down.

as much of a problem as i can be, i wouldn't even dream of 1) asking my mom whats up w/ all these stupid ass questions and 2) telling her to shut the fuck up.
i flinched just reading that! no shoes or belts involved? wow.

The worst will still be picking out your own switch from the backyard

the funniest is when you KNOW you did something wrong and you try to come up with ways to avoid the incoming whooping, so you come up with a genius strategy for the first time... you just go to sleep... because they would NEVER just start the beating while you were asleep right? RIGHT? WRONG!!!

Reading all these "war stories" reminds me of the ending of house party. Lol.

Now the big question to those who have kids....

Would you do them like your parents did you?

And anyone down for D&D let me know?

Onemic

Nigga ran that down like he was trying to get in the in-zone

They choked this game, and ultimately this series

eh, id put that down on pop not calling an obvious timeout when they got the ball. That and Ginobli was hacked like no other when he drove down the lane. Green was also fouled hard for that last possession. Miami won with those complimentary ref calls.

Besides that though, Ginobli fucked up big time, his turnovers pretty much lost the Spurs the game.

Dereck

Then, one day, he missed on the followthrough, and the end of his strap snapped back and nailed me in the eye. I spun around and started staggering back, clutching the right side of my face. He tried to settle me down, but I
I was hoping that next words were going to be, but then I swung on him and we started fighting.

Dereck

the funniest is when you KNOW you did something wrong and you try to come up with ways to avoid the incoming whooping, so you come up with a genius strategy for the first time... you just go to sleep... because they would NEVER just start the beating while you were asleep right? RIGHT? WRONG!!!
This is so fucking funny, ahhhhhh. So many times I've tried this shit.

Onemic

anybody else think Knack looks like gutter trash?

i can't believe this is the game they chose to show on Fallon to debut the PS4

Ive only seen Knacks gameplay from the PS4 reveal, but it looked like one of the weakest showings there. I actually thought it may have been a PS3 game at first.

I can't even post in Slay's thread right now. I had to niggafy some dudes conversation at lunch a few minutes ago. He was going on about how his daughter is dating a black guy and the guy has a pretty good job at Microsoft but he complains to much about the obstacles he has to face at work for being black. Then he said:

"I get so sick of his complaining. Blacks don't have it bad anymore. He never experienced slavery, He didn't experience what his ancestors did so he can't complain."

My boy tried to stop me, but it was too late. "Hey my man, have you ever been stopped by the cops because you fit the description? Have you ever had a security guard follow you around in the store because you look like the type to steal? Have you ever been frisked longer than everyone else at a Hootie and the blowfish concert because you don't look like the type to listen to that kind of music? Ever been told by a boss you need to soften your look if you want to get a promotion? Oh you haven't? Then you have no right to speak on the black experience. Especially here in North Carolina......Now finish ya lil frosty and get way from round me"

coming from the south you know he got me pissed when I'm playing some ole negro gospel at my desk trying to calm down.

Edit- Dammit D.funk. Let me crank this Kirk Franklin up!!!

zero_suit

I can't even post in Slay's thread right now. I had to niggafy some dudes conversation at lunch a few minutes ago. He was going on about how his daughter is dating a black guy and the guy has a pretty good job at Microsoft but he complains to much about the obstacles he has to face at work for being black. Then he said:

"I get so sick of his complaining. Blacks don't have it bad anymore. He never experienced slavery, He didn't experience what his ancestors did so he can't complain."

My boy tried to stop me, but it was too late. "Hey my man, have you ever been stopped by the cops because you fit the description? Have you ever had a security guard follow you around in the store because you look like the type to steal? Have you ever been frisked longer than everyone else at a Hootie and the blowfish concert because you don't look like the type to listen to that kind of music? Ever been told by a boss you need to soften your look if you want to get a promotion? Oh you haven't? Then you have no right to speak on the black experience. Especially here in North Carolina......Now finish ya lil frosty and get way from round me"

coming from the south you know he got me pissed when I'm playing some ole negro gospel at my desk trying to calm down.

Damn, you went in! I'd say it was justified, though.

We don't have it bad anymore? I beg to differ.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front.../by-the-numbers-childhood-poverty-in-the-u-s/

Black children are more likely to live in poverty than children of any other race. The poverty rate among black children is 38.2 percent (pdf), more than twice as high as the rate among whites. The poverty rate for Hispanic children is 32.3 percent.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom