• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Another one of Doom's nefarious plans

Dear Dr.Funk, I wish you understood
What the world is really like when you’re livin’ in the hood
Just because my pants are saggin’ doesn’t mean I’m up to no good
You should try to get to know me, I really wish you would
Now my chains are gold but I’m still misunderstood
I wasn’t there when Sherman’s March turned the south into firewood
I want you to get paid but be a slave I never could
Feel like a new fangled Django, dodgin’ invisible white hoods
So when I see that white cowboy hat, I’m thinkin’ it’s not all good
I guess we’re both guilty of judgin’ the cover not the book
I’d love to buy you a beer, conversate and clear the air
But I see that red flag and I think you wish I wasn’t here

tumblr_mikztjSKeC1qzlc1ro1_500.png

tumblr_mikztjSKeC1qzlc1ro2_500.png
:lol

DominoKid

My folks just cannot wrap their minds around the fact that I have no interest in living in North Carolina anymore. I'm looking for jobs and although I'm looking in-state, the majority of my efforts are directed toward getting out of NC.

I want to experience something completely different and I can't get excited about moving to Raleigh or Charlotte or all the wannabe big cities in between.

HomShaBom

Banned
My folks just cannot wrap their minds around the fact that I have no interest in living in North Carolina anymore. I'm looking for jobs and although I'm looking in-state, the majority of my efforts are directed toward getting out of NC.

I want to experience something completely different and I can't get excited about moving to Raleigh or Charlotte or all the wannabe big cities in between.
Come to Cleveland, it is a place of dreams.

RedSwirl

On sports, my oldest nephew's gotten into soccer (he's just 5 though).

Come to think of it I never really investigated why Soccer never took in the US. It's the only sport we aren't into that's relatively cheap to play.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

Charlotte is nothing like the rest of NC.

DominoKid

This Dark Girls documentary feels like I'm watching my mom's insecurities in movie form. She is going to cry when she watches this. I always feel weird interacting w/ stuff like this because I'm not quite light but I'm not dark either. So I can't identify w/ either side of the division. Really, it doesn't even cross my mind that my mom is dark until she points it out.

Charlotte is nothing like the rest of NC.

I know it is. It's just something I can't really wrap my mind around though. Chalk it up to youthful pride I guess. I think if I was coming from somewhere else then I could see Charlotte as a great destination.

Gorillaz

^thats literally how I felt when I saw part of the dark girls documentary, it's heavy handed as hell, especially for for mom and her sisters.

Come to think of it I never really investigated why Soccer never took in the US. It's the only sport we aren't into that's relatively cheap to play.
Because there is more money in the other sports here in the states. So all our athletes are pushed toward those.

DominoKid

and the other thing that throws me is how eager my mom is to put forth the idea that lightskin or white girls are easier to deal with.

like today i said something off hand because i was in a bad mood and she said "well just marry a white woman if you want a woman to be nice to you." now hearing that for 22 years of my life in various forms, could you really be surprised/mad when one of your boys (myself or my cousin, because my aunt says the same shit) brings a white girl home? what kind of message are you sending down? because what it sounds like to me is that youre saying black women aren't nice. not that i agree, but i can't say that it hasn't hit me in some way.

dad on the other hand just plays it straight. "get one you actually like being around because a difficult woman will drain you."

"well just marry a white woman if you want a woman to be nice to you."

Yea, if you get told that since you were little it's gonna come off as advice and not "be glad I'm being upfront and honest with you if you want someone to handle you with kiddy gloves look somewhere else" which isn't that great a message either if that's what she's implying.

Come to think of it I never really investigated why Soccer never took in the US. It's the only sport we aren't into that's relatively cheap to play. [\QUOTE]

well in the rest of the world soccer is a hood sport thats inexpensive to get into, no pools no country clubs, from what people tell me soccer in the states is middle class dominated with paid leagues and such

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
What electric razor's if any do you guys use to shave your face? I've always used clippers as razor's irritate my skin unlike i've ever seen. Any electric shaver you use to get almost baby smooth skin?
I hate electric razors. I never get a close shave with those and it gives me ingrown hairs.

Because I enjoy being perceived as a dangerous motherfucker...

In all seriousness, I really do use a straight razor for my face. I'll use a "safety" razor like DrFunk has for body work. I don't like the Super Mach Turbo Fusion 5x Wormhole Extreme Kung-Fu Action Grip shit with their $5 blades. If I decide to grow a beard in the winter, I'll break out an electric trimmer to knock it down, but finish off with the straight razor.

"I don't understand why people are mad at Paula. Rappers like Kanye West and Jay-Z always use that word."

Please tell me you guys have encountered this. I just did and my mind is blown.

akira28

My fam got out of the Carolinas and most didn't look back. The family I still have down there, college grads all, and jobs are still hard to find. I don't see you regretting the move out.

"I don't understand why people are mad at Paula. Rappers like Kanye West and Jay-Z always use that word."

this one you put a flag on it and walk around.

vv: people hate feeling left out. :\

Please tell me you guys have encountered this. I just did and my mind is blown.

I always wonder is being able to say nigga really that important? Cause I damn sure would give it up to not be discriminated against cause I'm black.

I listened to Born Sinner...dissapointment. Yeezus was whatever, I dont even like Ye so it didnt mean nothin to me to not feel his album, but I like Cole so I want goodness from him. I dont understand why this dude got a degree with high honors but cant talk about shit but all these girls he piped and this money he gunna spend on luxury cars. Gotta be the Hova influence. and get outta here with these Cole/Nas comparisons too, who started that foolishness? Cole's on the level of Nastradamus era Nas..maybe.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
He's not on any level of Nas, in terms of anything. He would be infinitely better if he dropped that angle and embraced the bizarre version of Kanye that he really is.

edit^^ It really is that bad. They should have coached her a lot better, because it's terrible.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
She's definitely not ratchet, the poor girl didn't know any better and was obviously frustrated. Not sure how she'll help the defense

DominoKid

I listened to Born Sinner...dissapointment. Yeezus was whatever, I dont even like Ye so it didnt mean nothin to me to not feel his album, but I like Cole so I want goodness from him. I dont understand why this dude got a degree with high honors but cant talk about shit but all these girls he piped and this money he gunna spend on luxury cars. Gotta be the Hova influence. and get outta here with these Cole/Nas comparisons too, who started that foolishness? Cole's on the level of Nastradamus era Nas..maybe.

Cole himself. He's always fashioned himself more after Nas and Pac than anybody.

Mr. Patch

She's definitely not ratchet, the poor girl didn't know any better and was obviously frustrated. Not sure how she'll help the defense

If anyone actually paid attention to what she was actually saying, you could tell that she's only there because she has to. Going by all the things she said, she didn't want to get involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom