• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
V4sK1Pc.jpg

oh my god i almost choked on my pizza

Will the discussion specifically be about black/white relationships? Because I've only ever heard people voice issues with those, though the only people I've heard have problems with interracial relationships at all were white or black.

harSon

Banned
I think it's more the curse of podcast. I talk a lot less like that otherwise. It's filler when you're trying to think on the spot faster than normal.

I'll be reppin' the "likes" and "hellas" whenever ya'll do the Minorities in the Media segment. I have a feeling my voice isn't radio/podcast friendly, but whatever!

Will the discussion specifically be about black/white relationships? Because I've only ever heard people voice issues with those, though the only people I've heard have problems with interracial relationships at all were white or black.

That's the only time I got those looks. Never had to deal with shit when I was with the puerto rican ex.

Imm0rt4l

Nah, I'm sure we'll talk about all kinds of ir relationships.

By the way Moris did you decide on a day since superbowl sunday is out?

Haven't checked everyone's availability. Friday would be best for me or late Saturday.

Darkfaze-
Devo-
Moris- Friday 5:30pm pst - midnight / Sat 8pm pst - midnight
DY-
onemic-
Immortal-

Depends on onemic, DY, Immortal, Darkfaze & Devo's dating history.

I've been in an interracial relationship for almost 8 years now. I'm Mexican, she's Chinese. I have a couple things to share.

harSon

Banned
That's the only time I got those looks. Never had to deal with shit when I was with the puerto rican ex.

I got the most hate when dating a Viet girl. Her family was straight mean muggin' every time I came around, and her friends weren't much better. Even her sister in grade school had that venom in her eyes. I think I got to say maybe 1-2 sentences total to her parents, and I was in a relationship with her for close to a year.

I think I actually got the least looks when with my last ex who was white. Her parents loved me, but that's probably because she was fresh out of a relationship with some Salvadorian cat who got locked up. Her moms still wishes me Happy Birthday over texts and Facebook, and I broke up with her daughter months ago.

FyreWulff

I think I actually got the least looks when with my last ex who was white. Her parents loved me, but that's probably because she was fresh out of a relationship with some Salvadorian cat who got locked up. Her moms still wishes me Happy Birthday over texts and Facebook, and I broke up with her daughter months ago.

Sounds like a South O relationship. Once you're someone's gf/bf, you're part of the family forever even after you break up.

One of my uncles and aunt are divorced but still ended up living together because they're the only people that can tolerate each other.

edit: all of my brother's exs also still come around and visit to talk to my mom

I got the most hate when dating a Viet girl. Her family was straight mean muggin' every time I came around, and her friends weren't much better. Even her sister in grade school had that venom in her eyes. I think I got to say maybe 1-2 sentences total to her parents, and I was in a relationship with her for close to a year.

When I was dating this black/french girl her brother hated me. I'd go over to her house and the hate in his eyes is comparable to Stephen's when he sees Django for the first time. I mean we would go out to dinner and he would just stare at me. When his sister and I stopped talking he sent me a text that said "Fuck off Cracker." I responded "Bro, Your father is white."

harSon

Banned
When I was dating this black/french girl her brother hated me. I'd go over to her house and the hate in his eyes is comparable to Stephen's when he sees Django for the first time. I mean we would go out to dinner and he would just stare at me. When his sister and I stopped talking he sent me a text that said "Fuck off Cracker." I responded "Bro, Your father is white."

Damn, that's some ignorant shit.

A lot of sister's brothers be hatin' in general though. I hooked up with this black chick in high school and ended up dumping her cause her straight up gang bangin' hoodlum of a brother was trippin'. He always hated me, but one day in particular me and her went to the park to see fireworks on the 4th of July, and dude rolled up twisted with 3-4 peeps from his crew. He walked up to us and demanded that she get in the car with him, and I was like "naw man, fuck that, you're drunk." Dude flashed his piece at me and told me to go the fuck home. I was a hot head at the time, but I wasn't dumb enough to fuck with some faded dip shit with a gun, so I bounced.

Broke up with her the next day. Funny thing is, dude was pissed that I broke up with her, saying that I punked out. I mean, I sure as hell did, but I'm not trying to get nicked for some high school romance that probably wasn't going anywhere anyways.

A lot of sister's brothers be hatin' in general though. I hooked up with this black chick in high school and ended up dumping her cause her straight up gang bangin' hoodlum of a brother was trippin'. He always hated me, but one day in particular me and her went to the park to see fireworks on the 4th of July, and dude rolled up twisted with 3-4 peeps from his crew. He walked up to us and demanded that she get in the car with him, and I was like "naw man, fuck that, you're drunk." Dude flashed his piece at me and told me to go the fuck home. I was a hot head at the time, but I wasn't dumb enough to fuck with some faded dip shit with a gun, so I bounced.

Broke up with her the next day. Funny thing is, dude was pissed that I broke up with her, saying that I punked out. I mean, I sure as hell did, but I'm not trying to get nicked for some high school romance that probably wasn't going anywhere anyways.

He was a Star Trek fan. That's a Klignon tradition where the brother will challenge the boyfried to a fight to the death. If the boyfriend can draw blood, gets the brother's blessing.

I guess I got lucky growing up how I did, what with having non-racist parents, same with my girlfriend's parents. Has anyone who's been in an IRR not had this problem in some way?

Mr.Fresh

I just had a long ass day and came home to seeing the taser thread wtf? Yoo some of those people smh.

Anyway almost done with the Sneaker head OT. Tryna make it as good as I can and use everyones input. well see. All we need now is something to go after the OT.

The NeoGAF Sneaker Head |OT| .........

Fuck man. I can't stand trashy family members. I will never bring any girlfriend around my dad's family. I'll end up in jail for beating the shit out of one of my cousins. They're really trashy rednecks and super racist.

I think if I ever brought a black woman to met my parents my mom would celebrate. She's wanted me to have mixed children since I was a kid. She believes they are the best looking people.

I guess I got lucky growing up how I did, what with having non-racist parents, same with my girlfriend's parents. Has anyone who's been in an IRR not had this problem in some way?

My parents are pretty cool. They don't hate anyone and taught me that we're all equal. I've never dated a girl whom's parents didn't like me. It's usually the brothers or sisters that are haters. My eldest sister is a hater, big time. She pretty much raised me because our parents were working all the time so she is really protective. Even at my age she still treats me like kid.

Never had a problem with my parents, grandma neither. I pretty much come from a line of hippies and communists so racism, sexism and homophobia is just nonexistent.

Never fuck with old dudes. You never know what their background is like.

I actually witnessed something similar In my old neighbourhood, these two dummies tried to mug this old dude that used to box in the 70s and 80s everybody knew not to fuck with him. I watched amazed as this dude conducted a free boxing clinic, one dude got his jaw broke another had his his ribs and sternum all fucked up. Dont mess with boxers mang 0_O

I never met my ex's parents, but she met my mom and (now former) stepdad. They trusted my judgment enough to know whether or not a girl I was going out with was "good" or not. The only thing my mom ever cared about when I was growing up was me making my own decisions, good or bad, and that included women no matter what their race.

Naturally my mom had plenty of things to say about my ex when she broke up with me, but none of the words had anything to do with her being white. :lol

Satch

Banned
uh huh

Listen, while I enjoy the echo chamber as much as the next guy, sitting here in this particular thread and whinging about how certain posts/threads drive you nuts instead of, y'know, doing something about it...doesn't hold much truck with me.

Someone says something dumb, get in there and make them come correct. Hit them with knowledge, call them out on their bullshit, do something. Slay's in there fighting the good fight, but if everyone in this thread went into that thread en masse and called folks out on their bullshit, you'd feel a lot better.

I can (and do) ban people for being shitheads, but a pointed word, a linked tag or even some subtle humor to expose someone's ignorance goes a long way. That should be coming from any of you, no matter the race, who takes issue with people being racist asshats. Real life, forums, whatever.

Get off your ass and get involved.

preach the good word, sis

harSon

Banned

My parents are cool as shit about IR relationships. But that's probably because they're in an interracial relationship, and have biracial children, so they'd be complete hypocrites to be anything but 100% supportive. They'll still shit talk on the (and race is mos def going to be front and center), considering I come from a long lineage of haters, but it'll be behind the girl's back and all in good fun.

The worst is how candid your friends get. "If I dated someone non____ my parents would disown me."
My moms would get over it, but yea...she's like that. But I can only be so mad, because that generation (50s babies) had a very difficult experience that makes them tend to be a bit more Afrocentric than our generations. She'd get over it. She's getting desperate for some grand kids, and she'll take them in whatever complexion they come. I know her great preference, though. Of that, there s no doubt.

DY might have been ethered into another dimension
Not much he can even say. It's time for him to contact the mother and get his child support payments in order.

harSon

Banned
The Real Husbands of Hollywood is actually pretty entertaining. Kevin Hart carries the show, but it's still fairly decent otherwise.

Mr.Fresh

The Real Husbands of Hollywood is actually pretty entertaining. Kevin Hart carries the show, but it's still fairly decent otherwise.

The first episode was ok but the ones after to that were funny. I kinda like The Wayan show too.

Im done with the sneaker head OT now i just wanna let someone see it before i post it.

hypernima

Banned
Regarding NiN I think some dudes my have lurked off hand comments in the thread, dunno why people gotta be salty on the internet.

Is this you, Slay?

As someone who has done his fair share of participating in topics about all sorts of social justice issues, I know that these things can all happen and they are discouraging infuriating, but meaningful participation in these threads is always better than disengagement. I think it helps simply to put the information out there, because even if the person you are talking to is unsalvageable, there are always other people who are reading it who can learn something from it.

That is my two cents, anyway.

I've always tried to talk about it in threads but I fear that even in the way I do it I could be banned and/or it's sisyphean.

I am dead. Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom