• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
About take a hammer to prove a point

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47092359&postcount=115

Look at the responses already. I'm most likely going to be banned, but fuck it.

big_boss__s_salute___mgs3_by_rainedrebellion-d57boh0.gif

Naw, Bish knows what you were getting at.

Yea I saw his post, I normally wouldn't make such a simple minded post. I just really wanted to see if just as many GAF members introduce anecdotal evidence and BS stories to justify their generalizations for their fellow whites as they do blacks.

The entire thing still bothers me a day later.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
We need to learn how to draw out ignorance through discourse. Going out with a bang just stirs the pot and no one really learns anything. It's much better and more satisfying when you provide the rope for someone to hang themselves. That's my opinion anyway. Don't give up but don't go out blasting. Both choices are two opposite ends of the spectrum.

I always hate running into this shit.

Jill Scott said:
My new friend is handsome, African-American, intelligent and seemingly wealthy. He is an athlete, loves his momma, and is happily married to a White woman. I admit when I saw his wedding ring, I privately hoped. But something in me just knew he didn’t marry a sister. Although my guess hit the mark, when my friend told me his wife was indeed Caucasian, I felt my spirit…wince. I didn’t immediately understand it. My face read happy for you. My body showed no reaction to my inner pinch, but the sting was there, quiet like a mosquito under a summer dress.

Was I jealous? Did the reality of his relationship somehow diminish his soul’s credibility? The answer is not simple. One could easily dispel the wince as racist or separatist, but that’s not how I was brought up. I was reared in a Jehovah’s Witness household. I was taught that every man should be judged by his deeds and not his color, and I firmly stand where my grandmother left me. African people worldwide are known to be welcoming and open-minded. We share our culture sometimes to our own peril and most of us love the very notion of love. My position is that for women of color, this very common “wince” has solely to do with the African story in America.

When our people were enslaved, “Massa” placed his Caucasian woman on a pedestal. She was spoiled, revered and angelic, while the Black slave woman was overworked, beaten, raped and farmed out like cattle to be mated. She was nothing and neither was our Black man. As slavery died for the greater good of America, and the movement for equality sputtered to life, the White woman was on the cover of every American magazine. She was the dazzling jewel on every movie screen, the glory of every commercial and television show. She was unequivocally the standard of beauty for this country, firmly unattainable to anyone not of her race. We daughters of the dust were seen as ugly, nappy mammies, good for day work and unwanted children, while our men were thought to be thieving, sex-hungry animals with limited brain capacity.

We reflect on this awful past and recall that if a Black man even looked at a White woman, he would have been lynched, beaten, jailed or shot to death. In the midst of this, Black women and Black men struggled together, mourned together, starved together, braved the hoses and vicious police dogs and died untimely on southern back roads together. These harsh truths lead to what we really feel when we see a seemingly together brother with a Caucasian woman and their children. That feeling is betrayed. While we exert efforts to raise our sons and daughters to appreciate themselves and respect others, most of us end up doing this important work alone, with no fathers or like representatives, limited financial support (often court-enforced) and, on top of everything else, an empty bed. It’s frustrating and it hurts!

Our minds do understand that people of all races find genuine love in many places. We dig that the world is full of amazing options. But underneath, there is a bite, no matter the ointment, that has yet to stop burning. Some may find these thoughts to be hurtful. That is not my intent. I’m just sayin’.

harSon

Banned
It's kind of an understandable reaction though. Black women are racially oppressed, and also subjected to the ill effects of patriarchy. Their image is considered deficient in the presence of a European standard of beauty. They're constantly given the raw end of the deal whether it's through racism, sexism, poverty or being forced into single motherhood. While it's certainly ignorant to hold such views, it's somewhat understandable that they'd feel betrayed.

Black women were there for slavery, there for reconstruction, there for Jim Crow and are still there today. For whatever reason, Black women have historically been the least desirable of the least desirable within the eyes of many, except in the eyes of Black men. So when Black men "abandon ship," and to the European standard of beauty no less, I can definitely see how a feeling of betrayal can develop.

As I said, it's not a justified feeling, just one that's somewhat understandable.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
That almost sounds like Black men have an obligation. So where is brother version talking about sista's when they say 'sorry i don't date black men'? Judging someone else choice in a partner and taking pain from it is just damn stupid. I just don't get how them choosing a partner outside their race constitutes abandoning ship and a betrayal.

Do people need documented evidence that a same race relationship didn't work out before they apply for their interracial marriage permit?

Slayven

that aint nothing new from Jill Scott, inventor of the soul wince.

People that question why people marry others of a different race, are usually one of the reasons the people marry out their race.

That reminds me I saw the cutest thing the other day. I was watching house hunters international and a black dude who married a Japanese girl for japan was featured. They showed them having dinner with his family. And you saw all the big mamas loving on her and accepting her. Showing her how to cook greens.

It's kind of an understandable reaction though. Black women are racially oppressed, and also subjected to the ill effects of patriarchy. Their image is considered deficient in the presence of a European standard of beauty. They're constantly given the raw end of the deal whether it's through racism, sexism, poverty or being forced into single motherhood. While it's certainly ignorant to hold such views, it's somewhat understandable that they'd feel betrayed.

Black women were there for slavery, there for reconstruction, there for Jim Crow and are still there today. For whatever reason, Black women have historically been the least desirable of the least desirable within the eyes of many, except in the eyes of Black men. So when Black men "abandon ship," and to the European standard of beauty no less, I can definitely see how a feeling of betrayal can develop.

As I said, it's not a justified feeling, just one that's somewhat understandable.

Black women aren't entitled to a black man. No one is entitled to anyone. In fact the leaps made so that she can date anyone in the spectrum and so can I, is a blessing. If it makes her soul wince then sucks for her.

Imm0rt4l

Honestly, I understand where Jill is coming from. But I'm gonna do me. I feel for sisters, I really do. In a world where black is considered other or not beautiful it can be tough when your peers actively reject you or see the alternative as a trophy. That doesn't give sisters a pass to ice grill when every one has their own story . Not all black dudes are like tiger woods who see only white women as being beautiful.

I like women, period.

Edit: gotta cosign harson. Black women are largely undermined as a whole. They may see the 'rejection' as tacit approval of their seemingly lower status.

I feel for Jill Scott.

...but on the other hand, I also know that MANY of the sistas that feel the same way probably passed on countless Black so-called "nice guys" and "cornballs" and whathaveyou to pursue and be burned by jerks of all shades, shapes and sizes.

Those guys just so happen to be the put-together guys that, when pushed aside by those Black women who thought they could do better than those boring guys, found women of other ethnicities who wanted them.

I gotta stand up for my brothers here - it's not that we don't want Black women, it's that we want to be wanted...even if we aren't all tall sports guys or wealthy lawyers/businessmen. Life's not a Tyler Perry movie; we have to be open to all kinds of ladies, and subsequently women should be open to all sorts of men and not be hurt about it.

Y'know, I read this and it seems sorta angry/bitter like those Mr. Chi-City videos, but I feel like it's true to some extent. My girlfriend's Puerto Rican though, so technically I'm not part of Jill Scott's problem, lol.

Edit: gotta cosign harson. Black women are largely undermined as a whole. They may see the 'rejection' as tacit approval of their seemingly lower status.

I'll be honest the ones who gave a shit that I've run into are assholes so why would anyone want to date them is beyond me.

Imm0rt4l

I feel for Jill Scott.

...but on the other hand, I also know that MANY of the sistas that feel the same way probably passed on countless Black so-called "nice guys" and "cornballs" and whathaveyou to pursue and be burned by jerks of all shades, shapes and sizes.

Those guys just so happen to be the put-together guys that, when pushed aside by those Black women who thought they could do better than those boring guys, found women of other ethnicities who wanted them.

I gotta stand up for my brothers here - it's not that we don't want Black women, it's that we want to be wanted...even if we aren't all tall sports guys or wealthy lawyers/businessmen. Life's not a Tyler Perry movie; we have to be open to all kinds of ladies, and subsequently women should be open to all sorts of men and not be hurt about it.

Y'know, I read this and it seems sorta angry/bitter like those Mr. Chi-City videos, but I feel like it's true to some extent. My girlfriend's Puerto Rican though, so technically I'm not part of Jill Scott's problem, lol.

Preach...

harSon

Banned
Black women aren't entitled to a black man. No one is entitled to anyone. In fact the leaps made so that she can date anyone in the spectrum and so can I, is a blessing. If it makes her soul wince then sucks for her.

I didn't say that they were entitled to anyone, simply that the feeling of betrayal is understandable. As I said, society has been conditioned since childhood that on a spectrum of beauty, European is the gold standard and Black is effectively horse shit. The closer one is situated towards the normalized European standard, the more beautiful you are. As a result, they are considered undesirable by large swaths of people, except for Black men who were basically their significant others by default. With that last fact no longer a necessity born from social constraints, black women are desired by even fewer than before..

That's a pretty shitty feeling to have to endure, and definitely the mindset that such comments as the one Jill Scott threw out come out of.

DominoKid

I feel for Jill Scott.

church. preach. tabernacle.

Black women have gotten the short end of the stick for sure, but you are not getting 'black man reparations'. That man she was wincing at didn't betray shit, and for her to react that way to a fucking stranger says much more about her than it does him.

I didn't say that they were entitled to anyone, simply that the feeling of betrayal is understandable. As I said, society has been conditioned since childhood that on a spectrum of beauty, European is the gold standard and Black is effectively horse shit. The closer one is situated towards the normalized European standard, the more beautiful you are. As a result, they are considered undesirable by large swaths of people, except for Black men who were basically their significant others by default. With that last fact no longer a necessity born from social constraints, black women are desired by even fewer than before..

That's a pretty shitty feeling to have to endure, and definitely the mindset that such comments as the one Jill Scott threw out come out of.

I didn't say you said they were entitled but that's the feeling I get when they expect black men to "stay loyal." It's bullshit. Also who said anything about beauty standards or exclusively dating white women. If two people hit it off what business is it of anyone's to expect some exclusivity among their own race. She's assuming that they're fetishizing people because she doesn't understand that people get together because they mesh well.

It's funny, I have a few pairs of nice sneakers, though I'm not really much of a sneakerhead. Every time I'm out at night at a club/etc when someone steps on them, even the tiniest bit, dudes freak with apologies like they kicked me in the nuts. It's incredible.

"Expensive sneakers are like $150 land mines. Step on one and boom! A perfectly rational black man will explode. "

Mr.Fresh

When I was in high school (2 Years ago) my GF was Peruvian. We went to one of my friends house to watch some movies with her and her BF (Who were both black). I go over there a lot so they know me and everything is always cool and everything. Soon as her Mom and Aunt found out my GF was Hispanic they started saying im a coward and a traitor because im black and go out with a non black girl and all this bullshit. Im still cool with them but its annoying that they feel the need to talk about it every time i get into a relationship with a Spanish girl. Even though I like ALL girls they still come at me with that. Soon as they found out i was talking to this black girl her aunt is like " so you finally got you a black one huh?" EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Slayven

When I was in high school (2 Years ago) my GF was Peruvian. We went to one of my friends house to watch some movies with her and her BF (Who were both black). I go over there a lot so they know me and everything is always cool and everything. Soon as her Mom and Aunt found out my GF was Hispanic they started saying im a coward and a traitor because im black and go out with a non black girl and all this bullshit. Im still cool with them but its annoying that they feel the need to talk about it every time i get into a relationship with a Spanish girl. Even though I like ALL girls they still come at me with that. Soon as they found out i was talking to this black girl her aunt is like " so you finally got you a black one huh?" EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Damn called you a coward? I would have been like, damn right I am coward if I avoiding this shit.

The sneaker game is too ridic now.
I'm definitely a sneakerhead - I have a pretty decent collection of quality stuff. But I've been in this thing since I was a kid. I actually saw the players who people are hypebeasting the shoes of. I actually wore the OG models of those shoes when I was a kid. I actually bought them myself back then too - wasn't my mommy or daddy spending a jillion dollars.

But most importantly:

- I only wore what I like
- I always wore what I bought

This whole waiting in line, camping for retros of shoes that are less quality than the originals, paying over retail to resellers who only buy the shoes just to sell them, spending $200 for something you'll never wear business? I can't deal with that, man.

I love sneakers, I just don't love the game anymore. If I can't get it online and for retail, it's not worth it. If I won't wear it, it's not worth it. If people are too thirsty for it and it's not even that hot, it's not worth it.

Imm0rt4l

That is just some hating ass shit and helps no one. Jill scott on the other hand articulated her feelings well and kept a good face on.

Mr.Fresh

The sneaker game is too ridic now.
I'm definitely a sneakerhead - I have a pretty decent collection of quality stuff. But I've been in this thing since I was a kid. I actually saw the players who people are hypebeasting the shoes of. I actually wore the OG models of those shoes when I was a kid. I actually bought them myself back then too - wasn't my mommy or daddy spending a jillion dollars.

But most importantly:

- I only wore what I like
- I always wore what I bought

This whole waiting in line, camping for retros of shoes that are less quality than the originals, paying over retail to resellers who only buy the shoes just to sell them, spending $200 for something you'll never wear business? I can't deal with that, man.

I love sneakers, I just don't love the game anymore. If I can't get it online and for retail, it's not worth it. If I won't wear it, it's not worth it. If people are too thirsty for it and it's not even that hot, it's not worth it.

Well back when the OG's was comin out i was like 6 and 7 but still me and my brother always had some OG's from my older brother who worked at Footlocker. Once I hit 9 or 10 it was a wrap I always wanted the hottest shoes. But yea im the same as you I always wear what I buy.

FyreWulff

I'm just wondering where Jill Scott draws the line with already mixed people.

Considering how badly my half black half white friend got picked on in school, she probably considers them on the white 'team'.

The racist white kids would pick on him for being black. The black kids rejected and made fun of him, calling him whitey, even though at a glance he looks 100% black.

He's engaged to the most nordic white girl right now. Fuck the haters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom