• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

LosDaddie

Banned
I remember when those TVs had wood paneling and you had to turn the channel with dials (or pliers, if things got rough)

and the radiation they emitted, as well

First console was an Atari. I remember being amazed that I could play pac-man & frogger at home.

I remember when those TVs had wood paneling and you had to turn the channel with dials (or pliers, if things got rough)

and the radiation they emitted, as well

Wood panel tvs with the pliers is as much a struggle thing as a it is an old timer thing.

The tv I used as the icon for the latest podcast was the exact one we had for years growing up.

FyreWulff

I actually have a TV like that. Can't get rid of it for nostalgic reasons.

I still remember having to hook up the Atari to the antennae post via those two little fork things.

We used to have to wait for our uncle or dad to hook up a video game system for us back in those days. I'd say the want to play a game without having to wait for adults to be not busy probably accelerated me and my brothers' getting comfortable with electronics and connecting/fixing them. I think by 8 or 9 we could completely disconnect and reconnect the entertainment system setup so we could play Atari/NES then reconnect it so people could listen to their records and watch movies.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I dont even know how my Genesis was hooked up

oh my lord this:

rfunit.jpg

negative SD resolution

I still remember having to hook up the Atari to the antennae post via those two little fork things.

We used to have to wait for our uncle or dad to hook up a video game system for us back in those days. I'd say the want to play a game without having to wait for adults to be not busy probably accelerated me and my brothers' getting comfortable with electronics and connecting/fixing them. I think by 8 or 9 we could completely disconnect and reconnect the entertainment system setup so we could play Atari/NES then reconnect it so people could listen to their records and watch movies.

I remember having to turn the TV to Channel 3, hook it up to a VCR, then hook my game up to the VCR...but the only way I could set the VCR to AUX was by putting a tape in and playing it. It was a long, frustrating process for a kid.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Pu**y is Pu**y has been the reasoning behind many an interracial couple. 95% of the guy's I know are dating opportunist who date whomever returns shown interest.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I find that both black men and women are at fault here. I don't understand the whole "going after European beauty standard" thing especially after the black power movement. But on the other hand, most of the women advertised as beautiful are white. Still though, hispanics, asians, arab women don't openly try to pursue being caucasian or having caucasian beauty features as much as black women. When I was growing up I knew a lot of confident but not athletic guys who were snubbed or laughed at by black women and they went on to date women of other races.

On the other hand, you've got black men who DO idolize white women. But you also have black men who ignore the cute little shy black nerd girl.

I think both sides are at all fault and are quick to place blame on the other side when we should be actively trying to get along with one another and taking care of our families.

I think this pretty much encapsulates it as well. Nice post.

Artemisia

Banned
That's Nicole Shitsinger on the UK XFactor.

Her mic wasn't working so she took his (they were doing a duet). She didn't hand the other to him because it was not working.

That's Nicole Shitsinger on the UK XFactor.

Her mic wasn't working so she took his (they were doing a duet). She didn't hand the other to him because it was not working.

Ah...well my statement still stands. She's cute though I think, not sure haven't seen her since that song Buttons.

Gorillaz

Nicole and the rest of the pussy cat dolls were my wives back in high school. Tho like all of use I had to move on to bigger and better wives
not really :/

RedSwirl

1980 here. But I'm mainly a lurker. Grew up poor...parents on food stamps & all. But then my mom decided she wasn't about that life anymore and joined the army. I think I was 6yo at that time.

That's basically the choice my dad made after he became the first person in our family's history to graduate from high school, and it's what got him out of that life. 30+ years later he's got a fairly high-up government job and is more or less the rock of our entire extended family.

I remember having to turn the TV to Channel 3, hook it up to a VCR, then hook my game up to the VCR...but the only way I could set the VCR to AUX was by putting a tape in and playing it. It was a long, frustrating process for a kid.

Shit man, that brought back some memories. Got my NES hooked up through RF on a new 46" Samsung right now.

83 here

That Jill Scott quote just reminds of all the questions I had to duck when I went back home to Ghana for Christmas. Pretty much, a couple of designated aunties were sent to relay messages over the 2 weeks I was there. It got pretty heated when my brother's girlfriend was described as "at least she's black"
It just felt like it was more of a cultural thing where the partner preference would be
Same Tribe > Ghanaian > West African > African > Non-white > White > Non-christian
Can't say I'm glad to be out of the firing line, but now that everyone knows how to use Skype ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom