• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Been fun posting with y'all.

Reigun stay losing

Dy be there for your kid

Moris I hope you get that general manager at gamestop gig.

Devo you can get this paycheck anytime.

Just wait till you start looking at items in the grocery store because it has its fiber content listed on the label.

fuck, I'm already doing this

MUST HAVE PRODUCTS HIGH IN FIBER AND PROTEIN

and I have one younger brother, and a younger sister. Growing up with them was mostly drama-free, and my brother and I do a lot of shit together. I think 90% of my co-op game experiences come with me and him.

LowerLevel

I feel like an old man

You and me both, brother, you and me both...

'76

The whole Jill Scott thing has me in a bind. When I was younger, sistas pretty much didn't give me much play anyways. "Lightskinned", although I'm not really that light, wasn't very popular. So other than a small handful of sistas (mainly Haitian), Latin, White and two Asian women were all I could pull. That, plus the fact that I wasn't the "norm" I guess, didn't help with the lack of popular clothing and such. I didn't care about the new Jordan's or Shell-Toe's and Spot-Bilt's even earlier than that when they were popular. I was just me. Thanks to moms, I listened to EVERYTHING which didn't sit too well either. Ironically, yeah, I DID get stares and comments from sistas when I was with the White and Asian girls but it was their own doing.

Ironically however, I love me some black womenz! I love ALL women, but nothing like a sista with a booty in stretch pants that gets my head turning. Followed closely by some redheads! I even play all my games first avatar as a black woman if it's available. ( I don't roleplay...)

Sorry for the rant, but it's my take on black women from this black man's point of view.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Remember what I said about handing people rope through discourse rather then blowing up for reactions? Basically that. But we shouldn't be clamoring for it. Moment of schadenfreude, brush shoulders and walk on. Feb has only just started and there will be more tests.
You and me both, brother, you and me both...

'76

The whole Jill Scott thing has me in a bind. When I was younger, sistas pretty much didn't give me much play anyways. "Lightskinned", although I'm not really that light, wasn't very popular. So other than a small handful of sistas (mainly Haitian), Latin, White and two Asian women were all I could pull. That, plus the fact that I wasn't the "norm" I guess, didn't help with the lack of popular clothing and such. I didn't care about the new Jordan's or Shell-Toe's and Spot-Bilt's even earlier than that when they were popular. I was just me. Thanks to moms, I listened to EVERYTHING which didn't sit too well either. Ironically, yeah, I DID get stares and comments from sistas when I was with the White and Asian girls but it was their own doing.

Ironically however, I love me some black womenz! I love ALL women, but nothing like a sista with a booty in stretch pants that gets my head turning. Followed closely by some redheads! I even play all my games first avatar as a black woman if it's available. ( I don't roleplay...)

Sorry for the rant, but it's my take on black women from this black man's point of view.
Yeah. I just wish Jill Scott could view interracial relationships as something other than a personal slight. Her personal plight is real but I don't believe she should project that onto other people.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I didn't say you said they were entitled but that's the feeling I get when they expect black men to "stay loyal." It's bullshit. Also who said anything about beauty standards or exclusively dating white women. If two people hit it off what business is it of anyone's to expect some exclusivity among their own race. She's assuming that they're fetishizing people because she doesn't understand that people get together because they mesh well.
Note, I get this same shit because my wife is Asian. Some folks assume I am just with her because I have yellow fever or that I bought her on the internet or some other shit. It's a very hurtful thing to say to someone, and frankly, I find it to be segregationist.

It's easy for me to sit here and say that her words are bullshit and without merit. But I didn't grow up wondering why people like myself weren't propagated as the pinnacle of beauty. I didn't have to grow up wondering why even the individuals sharing my skin color and gender on the magazine covers, television shows and movies still had fair complexions and features comparable to that of the normalized European standards of beauty. As a light skinned interracial black man (Hell, as a Black man in general), I had people within the media who were sexualized that resembled my own reflection in the mirror to a degree. Darker skinned black women with distinct black features do not for the most part.
On the other hand, I understand this sentiment. I also find Shemar Moore to be strangely dreamy.

Same. I still can't grasp the concept of 90's babies being old enough to post. I consciously understand 20 years ago was 1993, but subconsciously still don't get it.
The first time this hit me is when I looked down and saw the tobacco "you must be this old to buy" date was "1986" (obviously several years ago).

They don't know nothing about lawn darts, toy guns that looked like real guns, and transformers that transformed into rocks.
I miss the bad old days where our toys were weapons of war. Sometimes it's like being in a Robert Jordan novel, speaking of the 1970s and early 80s as the Age of Legends.

ReiGun

I remember once saying I didn't want to be with a woman who was not a ton of drama, and being told by a couple black women that I "don't want a black woman then." There's also this idea among my friends that I basically have to date white women (I've never dated in earnest/been in a relationship) because I'm pretty easy-going.

There is this perception that black women have to be difficult by default, and anyone who doesn't want to deal with that best look elsewhere.

DominoKid

I remember once saying I didn't want to be with a woman who was not a ton of drama, and being told by a couple black women that I "don't want a black woman then." There's also this idea among my friends that I basically have to date white women (I've never dated in earnest/been in a relationship) because I'm pretty easy-going.

There is this perception that black women have to be difficult by default, and anyone who doesn't want to deal with that best look elsewhere.

shit my mom has told me that lol. so of course she assumes i only date white girls. which is funny cause i ain't made much progress w/ women of any race really.

THIS.
And I hate that perception - and the fact that it seems that more black women wish to perpetuate it than not. Black nerd girl, I totally want you and don't think you need to be difficult. Don't be so tough - be chill, and let me take to to the comic-con gurrrrlllll.

ReiGun

shit my mom has told me that lol. so of course she assumes i only date white girls.
My mom has told me on more than one occasion I'm going to marry an Asian girl. lol Mainly cause I used to be big into anime -- I've never really had "yellow fever."

Besides, there aren't too many Asians in Baltimore. Ha.

LosDaddie

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510965

I will admit, when Dy and Slayven talk about this stuff I always think they're joking.

You're in Spain, correct? That may be why you assume they're only joking about that stuff.

Here in America, conservatives almost make it a point of pride to counter any racial topics like that thread with one of their own. Either that, or they bemoan why minorities are able to have such discussions. Such behavior becomes entirely predictable after a while.

always wondered how many white lurkers come to this thread? lol

Does this thread get the occasional troll every once in a while?

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3

Dude, white chicks got plenty of drama. There is no ethnicity free of drama. Sometimes the drama may be about different things, but don't kid yourself that you're not going to wake up one night with someone staring at you with a knife and a pillow in their hand.

Here in America, conservatives almost make it a point of pride to counter any racial topics like that thread with one of their own. Either that, or they bemoan why minorities are able to have such discussions. Such behavior becomes entirely predictable after a while.
"Why isn't there a white history month?"

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Does this thread get the occasional troll every once in a while?

Not so much anymore, but during the early days Shanadues (w/e) used the be the biggest dumbass around

edit:

onemic said:
very rarely. Last two trolls I can remember was some dude copy/pasting in multiple community threads and the great Shanadeus. It shall never have an equal.

dude is a legend for all the wrong reasons

BHZ Mayor

very rarely. Last two trolls I can remember was some dude copy/pasting in multiple community threads and the great Shanadeus. It shall never have an equal.

Is that the dude that said he doesn't want his daughter to have sex with anyone but him? That was in one of the BCT's?

ReiGun

Dude, white chicks got plenty of drama. There is no ethnicity free of drama. Sometimes the drama may be about different things, but don't kid yourself that you're not going to wake up one night with someone staring at you with a knife and a pillow in their hand.
Oh, most def. That's why it's always bothered me that being with a white woman was considered easy by default. Plenty of crazy drama in folk when it comes to dating, regardless of race.

Still, much like capt, I wish some sistas would stop thinking they have to be "hard." I just want to love you, gurl. It's okay.

Onemic

Is that the dude that said he doesn't want his daughter to have sex with anyone but him? That was in one of the BCT's?

naw that's some other guy. Shanadeus was the dude that would always pop in and ask the most dumb ignorant questions it could think of, just cuz. Pretty sure it did it for the lulz.

naw that's some other guy. Shanadeus was the dude that would always pop in and ask the most dumb ignorant questions it could think of, just cuz. Pretty sure it did it for the lulz.

Didn't he ask "Why do all black people think they can rap?" And "Why do black people always play their music loud while driving?"

DominoKid

its a different brand of drama.

also Shan was hilarious.

This is really terrible.

There's a socioeconmic component to it as well. Almost every shitty neighborhood is filled with girls who put up tough fronts and 'don't take shit from anyone', same goes for guys too.

Slightly OT story time.

In middle school I had math class with the most stereotypic abercrombie wearing blonde white girl. Few years later in highschool I spot her sitting with a group of hispanic & black girls with a baby fat letterman jacket on, hoop earrings and nikes. I thought "girl is trying hard to find herself"

Maybe a year after that, she's chatting with someone and we're all walking in the same direction. She's jerking her neck, snapping her fingers and talking like her middle class self was born and raised in inglewood. It was almost like she was mocking her friends. It was awkward as hell, like a white comedian doing a stereotypic ghetto girl voice/accent. She must have been real on some level though to have gotten the respect of all those ghetto ass hispanic and black girls.

Slayven, your thread is attracting certain users and certain viewpoints that are...interesting. I hope I get to find out why black culture and ghetto culture are the same!

DominoKid

This is really terrible.

There's a socioeconmic component to it as well. Almost every shitty neighborhood is filled with girls who put up tough fronts and 'don't take shit from anyone', same goes for guys too.

Slightly OT story time.

In middle school I had math class with the most stereotypic abercrombie wearing blonde white girl. Few years later in highschool I spot her sitting with a group of hispanic & black girls with a baby fat letterman jacket on, hoop earrings and nikes. I thought "girl is trying hard to find herself"

Maybe a year after that, she's chatting with someone and we're all walking in the same direction. She's jerking her neck, snapping her fingers and talking like her middle class self was born and raised in inglewood. It was almost like she was mocking her friends. It was awkward as hell, like a white comedian doing a stereotypic ghetto girl voice/accent. She must have been real on some level though to have gotten the respect of all those ghetto ass hispanic and black girls.

i knew a girl that turned out like that. went to look her up on facebook after not seeing her since elementary school. FINE AS HELL. i'm thinking "well lemme hit up that inbox then" until i see a baby, a pregnant stomach and some greasy looking nigga laid all up on her. i caught so many feels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom