• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted this in OT2 and I didn't realize there was an OT3 so I'll just post it again:

Anyone else here a big fan of The Wire? Personally it's my favorite TV show. I started watching it when I was about 15 at my Dad's house. A LOT of the movies my Dad owned were the crappy hood movies that I actually liked. So when I saw The Wire I just assumed it was a crappy hood TV show. Well I went on thinking it was an amazing hood show and that it no one else would like it. Well obviously I was wrong, but can you blame me? I was 15.

Anyways I have two friends on Xbox that happen to be white, and I didn't think either of them would like the show because I thought it was a hood show. Turns out one of them also loved it and the other watched it later and also loved it. Now that I'm older I have a lot more respect for the show and have re-watched it countless times since. I was just curious if anyone else is surprised by the reception the show gets?

Gorillaz

I'm 6 even...havn't grown for a little over 3 years...fucked up man.

i'm definitely coming back to sony whenever the PS4 drops. i kinda wish i had gotten the PS3.

Gonna put the same gif I put in the ps announcement thread here.
tumblr_m140huTipb1qew6w7o1_r1_500.gif

lets get this shit started.

DominoKid

damn DY. i figured every black person had went through that at one point. i just let my shit grow out so i have an excuse to pick it all day.

Do-rag or Stocking Caps ? What say you Black Culture GAF?

durag to control the tightness. stocking caps always left an imprint line around my head that never wore off in time for school.

of course im assuming were not talking about waves. because none of us are actually wearing thsoe things...

HomShaBom

Banned
I never brushed my head growing up. Was always nappy as fuck. I still don't like bothering with it so I keep it nearly bald.

And not once have I ever wore a durag or whatever.

Gorillaz

I would say I really didn't care much bout my hair until 5th/6th grade. Didn't rock do rag or stocking....I ain't got time for that.

damn DY. i figured every black person had went through that at one point. i just let my shit grow out so i have an excuse to pick it all day.

durag to control the tightness. stocking caps always left an imprint line around my head that never wore off in time for school.
of course im assuming were not talking about waves. because none of us are actually wearing thsoe things...

Naw I'm not talking waves just keep your hair straight, use to hate the line on my forehead from the stocking cap in Junior High and High School but I used a showercap a couple of times it works.

DominoKid

Naw I'm not talking waves just keep your hair straight, use to hate the line on my forehead from the stocking cap in Junior High and High School but I used a showercap a couple of times it works.

nope i never even thought of using em for that. in high school i just got my shit cut every two weeks. in college i wear fitted until my hair outgrows the hats then i pick it.

nope i never even thought of using em for that. in high school i just got my shit cut every two weeks. in college i wear fitted until my hair outgrows the hats then i pick it.

Did the same but I always thought wearing do-rags while you sleep slow down the growth of your hair.

Wasn't that the REALLY pathetic guy who couldn't get over a girl despite constantly saying he was totally over her and then made a giant thread because holy shit I asked her out you guys giant post incoming

G-Fex

Wasn't that the REALLY pathetic guy who couldn't get over a girl despite constantly saying he was totally over her and then made a giant thread because holy shit I asked her out you guys giant post incoming

and promoted the plain girl that is...well shit I forgot her name. She was pretty forgettable.

Imm0rt4l

Posted this in OT2 and I didn't realize there was an OT3 so I'll just post it again:

Anyone else here a big fan of The Wire? Personally it's my favorite TV show. I started watching it when I was about 15 at my Dad's house. A LOT of the movies my Dad owned were the crappy hood movies that I actually liked. So when I saw The Wire I just assumed it was a crappy hood TV show. Well I went on thinking it was an amazing hood show and that it no one else would like it. Well obviously I was wrong, but can you blame me? I was 15.

Anyways I have two friends on Xbox that happen to be white, and I didn't think either of them would like the show because I thought it was a hood show. Turns out one of them also loved it and the other watched it later and also loved it. Now that I'm older I have a lot more respect for the show and have re-watched it countless times since. I was just curious if anyone else is surprised by the reception the show gets?
Greatest TV crime drama of all time
Im not surprised that the reception is good, more people should see it.

I honestly hate wearing hats if my hair is short lol. Much prefer how it looks when I have a fro going on

I was all for it until I read Live Action. I feel like it might lose some of its charm going that direction despite Uncle Ruckus being in Django

He's the biggest open racist on gaf.

I think he was one of those Zimmerman defenders

Well, I like Carrie Underwood so I'm not sure about the high standards comment. I just find Beyonce extremely ugly. She's just that, a bleh women. I do find Carrie Underwood hot as hell though. So I guess my standards are high? I'm not sure....

She is. And Beyonce looks like any basic black girl. She has nothing unique about her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom