• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiGun

Ravens win. There's cowbells and fireworks going off outside my window.

Baltimore will not be this happy again for a long while.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
untitled-1c6ue2.gif

untitled-233u2p.gif

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
now expect ray lewis to continue the bettis plan by doing a dancing with the star's type show before transitioning into a full time broadcast career.

Mr.Fresh

Alicia , Kelly, and Beyonce all looked soo good tonight. Then I watched Beyonces Dance for you video and Kelly's ice video. Mmm mmm mmm

FreeMufasa

I've been wondering about this lately. How is slavery taught in the US? Is something continuous from kindergarten or like a year in high school?

In the UK we weren't taught shit. We had half a lesson which was pretty much "the US is so bad cos of slaves!" But that's it. I actually didn't know britains role in ska very till I was 17. Just randomly clicking links on Wikipedia and I see "slavery in the British empire".

I remember being so shocked. They really hide it from you here.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I remember being taught about slavery from kindergarten to pretty much high school.

You can even take full college courses on it if you want.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I've been wondering about this lately. How is slavery taught in the US? Is something continuous from kindergarten or like a year in high school?

In the UK we weren't taught shit. We had half a lesson which was pretty much "the US is so bad cos of slaves!" But that's it. I actually didn't know britains role in ska very till I was 17. Just randomly clicking links on Wikipedia and I see "slavery in the British empire".

I remember being so shocked. They really hide it from you here.

I'm from VA, they didn't teach us about slavery until middle school. Then of course that was only during black history month.
the gist of what we did or were taught is as follows
- slavery happened but wasn't that bad
- at least half of the shortest month will be civil war related
- Lincoln, a white man freed the slave so everything is/was cool
- MLK died for our sins
- write a one page paper on a famous black athlete
- watch a black related movie

that pretty much sums it up.

edit : forgot to throw worksheets in there somewhere

LowerLevel

I'm from VA, they didn't teach us about slavery until middle school. Then of course that was only during black history month.
- MLK died for our sins

Pretty much the same until I went to Boston Latin School. They started kinda early in the year with Crispus Attucks and Revolutionary War stuff that included particular fighting with Native Americans and Spanish/Pirates and such. Worked their way to Civil War so By the time February came around, it became something different. The one person they pretty much COMPLETELY gloss over is Malcolm. They pretty much mention him and that's that. But the teachers and lecturers talked about Jim Crow laws and even the Lovings for a little bit. But to be honest, I kind of expect that school to be that way when it was put to us as being the Harvard "prep school". As for the rest of the Boston Public system... depending on the Instructor is depending on what you get for Black History. History in general really... I still sometimes find it odd how mass is denoted as the number one state in education or something like that. Probably for Latin School and Latin Academy as the curriculum there is crazy, like calculus by 8th grade stuff.

In public schools I attended in California I think I learned a good amount about slavery but much more about the civil war and the american revolution. My 5th grade teacher was a civil war reenacter so we spent a lot of time on the subject but mostly the war aspect. I felt that even my American History course in college was pretty lacking but tons of kids were expposed to things they hadn't heard before like forced mating and some of the more severe consequences for disobeying.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
- MLK died for our sins

Yea, this was my experience as well. That shit gets breezed through like it wasn't anything. The only thing I learned less about was the Native Americans.

DominoKid

- MLK died for our sins

the bolded is basically it. at least until i got to college. those fresh/soph history classes were HILARIOUS at how they broke kids ideas of "slavery"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom