• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look.. I know people love the shit out of their Jay Z.. but how the hell is Reasonable Doubt a "classic" when nobody was checking for that shit until AFTER Jay blew up? I say the same shit to Em stans who claim Infinite is "classic." If that shit wasn't immediately accepted and recognized and THEN stood the test of time, that shit ain't classic.

/rant

They need to learn the term "hidden gem."

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Look.. I know people love the shit out of their Jay Z.. but how the hell is Reasonable Doubt a "classic" when nobody was checking for that shit until AFTER Jay blew up? I say the same shit to Em stans who claim Infinite is "classic." If that shit wasn't immediately accepted and recognized and THEN stood the test of time, that shit ain't classic.

/rant

So terms like Hidden Jem, Diamond in the rough, and overlooked masterpiece mean nothing to you?

So terms like Hidden Jem, Diamond in the rough, and overlooked masterpiece mean nothing to you?

Hidden Gem and Diamond in the Rough are much more appropriate. Overlooked masterpiece does not apply except in the loaded language that tries to justify the "classic" labeling. At the end of the day, Reasonable Doubt, Infinite, and a number of other albums were considered garbage at the time of release. If the artists didn't get hit singles that brought attention their direction (well after the fact), chances are the albums would have never been noticed.

A masterpiece is a masterpiece, regardless of whatever other successes an artist makes or doesn't. Reasonable Doubt is not a masterpiece.

DominoKid

/rant

its a classic. live w/ it.

Just a heads up apparently Jesus is out to get us.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511446

Stay safe my brothers and sisters, going to be a long month

Barry is ready

ht_flickr_barack_obama_shoots_clay_targets_jt_130202_wblog.jpg

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I was looking at that but I was like for $400 the sounds better be legit.
I wish there was somewhere I could try it out.

I got one for Christmas but haven't had a chance to dig deep into it because of my current living situation.

the sounds are professional level.

be forwarned though that the learning curb is steep
it requires wii u like updates out of the box
and even the highest model needs a computer in order to use
also NI will try to nickel and dime you for any extra sounds or software specific vsti/vst's

Nakazato

Omfg this chick in the restaurant im in is a pawg. Like its a fucking thing of beauty. Fucking krypyonite worst part a bout it im trying not to look but i cant take my eyes off my new favorite restaurant.

Gata come to kickbacks u must see

akira28

so this is a thing:

Today, an argument broke out on Twitter between Anthony Burch, lead writer on Borderlands 2, and a few players who think that Tiny Tina is a racist character.

briefly, someone, apparently a white guy, claims that the character Tiny Tina in Borderlands 2 is racist due to her usage of "black slang terms" like "badonkadonk". So he and a few other people have a twitter fight accusing the game writer of being racially insensitive.

So, this equality crusader is fighting racism in video games, starting, with the "sassy, crazy girl" from Borderlands 2. The idea is, who gets to call something offensive, or call people to account? I think he's testing the waters, or making a subtle point myself. I definitely don't think his charges are sincere, because they're so ridiculous.

^Reminds me of jive-talking old white lady from Airplane

I guess I should be offended, I was talking busy laughing at it

then again, we always the first niggas to complain about "what is 'acting black' all about slang talk" so why the fuck does it matter?

akira28

nah, I thought it was cute even. Girl is straight up, off the chain, crazy-insane. She's the black soldier dude's lil buddy, even. So I wouldn't even see a reason to be offended, because nothing she's said was even particularly racial. She's just using slang terms, and this dude is trying to call it in as a case of 'unsanctioned Ebonics'.

DominoKid

so this is a thing:

briefly, someone, apparently a white guy, claims that the character Tiny Tina in Borderlands 2 is racist due to her usage of "black slang terms" like "badonkadonk". So he and a few other people have a twitter fight accusing the game writer of being racially insensitive.

So, this equality crusader is fighting racism in video games, starting, with the "sassy, crazy girl" from Borderlands 2. The idea is, who gets to call something offensive, or call people to account? I think he's testing the waters, or making a subtle point myself. I definitely don't think his charges are sincere, because they're so ridiculous.

saw that on game side and died laughing. some people.

No, but the first class is shaving off your moustache. Easiest form of Hispanic identification.

Got that native blood, can't grow no respectable facial hair.

Re:BL2....I don't really find it offensive from my brief exposure to BL2. Maybe shit gets weird and offensive but I didn't see it.

'verbal blackface' is way out there. There are white people, I'm sure most of us have met a few, who are white as snow but use the lingo in a non-ironic way.

so this is a thing:

wait... so... white dude... doesn't want white character... talking 'black'... how is that guy not the racist one for even pointing that out!?!?!?

akira28

wait... so... white dude... doesn't want white character... talking 'black'... how is that guy not the racist one for even pointing that out!?!?!?

at first, my thought was that he just didn't know what racism was. Then I went back to his first tweet: "@reverendanthony Hey. I really like BL2's writing, but Tiny Tina's trope of "white girl talkin' like them urban folk!!" has got to go", seems more like he's annoyed by the character "talkin like dem urban people", and then crafted the weak race argument as an excuse because a)he thinks it's a trump card he doesn't think can be countered against. Especially since there is an undeniable racial aspect of a white cartoon character using sacred negro vernacular. Or b)he thinks he's entitled to cry racism, because he 'gets it', and he knows he's right.

at first, my thought was that he just didn't know what racism was. Then I went back to his first tweet: "@reverendanthony Hey. I really like BL2's writing, but Tiny Tina's trope of "white girl talkin' like them urban folk!!" has got to go", seems more like he's annoyed by the character "talkin like dem urban people", and then crafted the weak race argument as an excuse because a)he thinks it's a trump card he doesn't think can be countered against. Especially since there is an undeniable racial aspect of a white cartoon character using sacred negro vernacular. Or b)he thinks he's entitled to cry racism, because he 'gets it', and he knows he's right.

Why do idiots always point out where it doesn't exist thinking they're progressive and ignore instances where it's actually a thing and denigrating?

Why do idiots always point out where it doesn't exist thinking they're progressive and ignore instances where it's actually a thing and denigrating?

If you assume that they actually care, then it doesn't make sense. It shouldn't be assumed they actually care about social equality and it's more likely they just want to ridicule those who point out actual racism.

If that's not the case, then it's tunnel vision. Them focusing on one small facet of life rather than paying attention to others/the bigger picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom