• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
Sort of off-topic, but has anyone seen Better Off Dead? As much as I liked Ferris Bueller's Day Off, I always enjoyed that film a hell of a lot more.

Sort of off-topic, but has anyone seen Better Off Dead? As much as I liked Ferris Bueller's Day Off, I always enjoyed that film a hell of a lot more.

The TV show?

And No just No.

Ferris Buellers Day Off is the quintessential faking sick movie and if you want to alter 1 second of celluloid on that masterpiece, you might be a communist!

harSon

Banned
That's part of my overall point though. If you don't make it blatantly obvious that it's a remake there will be a portion of the audience that will decry any callbacks as being a rip off rather than an homage or a nod to the original. And it's not completely unjustified as Hollywood often re-appropriates basic plotlines with slight changes and calls it a new movie all the time.

Yeah, I never realized Sex Drive was a complete rip-off of The Sure Thing until I watched the latter a few months ago for the first time.

The TV show?

And No just No.

Ferris Buellers Day Off is the quintessential faking sick movie and if you want to alter 1 second of celluloid on that masterpiece, you might be a communist!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088794/

harSon

Banned
Ferris Bueller taught me that black people dance in unison to the Beatles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tgd46QiHz4I#t=36s

What's with the dude mimicking the guy from the Beat It video at 53 seconds Lol...

I could of sworn you wrote ted. But that is a great movie up there with 3 o'clock high but Bueller is still the GOAT.

I really need to watch more Teen 80 films. I've never seen The Breakfast Club, 16 Candles or Fast Times at Ridgemont High for example... Back to the Future would probably be the best film from the genre that I've seen though.

How could anyone have not scene the breakfast club?

At one point 6-8 years ago it was on OTA TV and Cable at least 12 times a month.

Shit TBS at one point was almost exclusively that movie.

Fast Times and Breakfast Club are quintessential viewing! And parts of Fast Times were filmed in my home town.

You can pass on 16 Candles though. It's not all that good though a lot of teen girls seem to identify with the central plot.

harSon

Banned
How could anyone have not scene the breakfast club?

At one point 6-8 years ago it was on OTA TV and Cable at least 12 times a month.

Shit TBS at one point was almost exclusively that movie.

I never knew what kind of movie it was until recently. The title just never grabbed me for some reason. I've wanted to watch it for some time, but I've never had the chance too.

Fast Times and Breakfast Club are quintessential viewing! And parts of Fast Times were filmed in my home town.

You can pass on 16 Candles though. It's not all that good though a lot of teen girls seem to identify with the central plot.

I have issues with Fast Times because of the way it treated the only Black person as some simple minded athlete, who can be provoked into negro rage.

wildcats_1986.jpg

Its the sport of Kings better than diamond rings.......Football

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Why would you taint beuller's good name by associating him with justin beiber.... that is just a horrible idea. If anything I want a sequel with an adult cast.

I want a Ferris sequel with everyone back in their old roles but it takes places in 2010's. Won't happen though.

For The Warriors a lot of what made the film work was the language and use of language. I'm not sure if people would be down with Ajax using the word "fag" so freely in 2013.

Considering what happens to him, I don't think people would mind. I get what you mean, though.

harSon

Banned
I actually wouldn't mind a Warriors remake. The problem is that I don't think anyone could actually do it justice.

I'm not sure if it'd work. That film was born out of the late 70s being clueless about street gangs. The Warriors, Assault On Precinct 13, Death Wish, etc. They'd probably try and make a straight faced remake, and fall flat on their faces.

Japan could probably do the concept justice though.

Black GAF. How do I become more black? So a white female coworker of mine started talking to me about rap, she knows more then I about it and she claims to not even be a fan. Talk about awkward... XD
Being black is more than just music, just being sarcastic here. Got me feeling like Tom Dubois all up in here.

ReiGun

Black GAF. How do I become more black? So a white female coworker of mine started talking to me about rap, she knows more then I about it and she claims to not even be a fan. Talk about awkward... XD
Being black is more than just music, just being sarcastic here. Got me feeling like Tom Dubois all up in here.

I know that feel. Being in a room of your peers talking about the hippity-hop, and not even being about to join in.

It hurts. Hurts the soul.

mr2xxx

Banned
Just watched Jackie Brown yesterday and I was disappointed. It wasn't bad by any means but I expected much more considering it was Tarantino and it was regarded as one of his better movies.

It has plenty if famous actors in it, I was even surprised to see Chris Tucker in it but disappointed by his small part. Despite the big names no one really stands out as a character in the movie, they all were pretty basic and never grew throughout the film. I guess they were uninteresting because I didn't find myself cheering for or hating any of them. It was a basic heist film and the whole movie pretty much centered on that aspect to its detriment. It just kept building up to the big heist but nothing really crazy or memorable happened.

I'm not sure if it'd work. That film was born out of the late 70s being clueless about street gangs. The Warriors, Assault On Precinct 13, Death Wish, etc. They'd probably try and make a straight faced remake, and fall flat on their faces.

Japan could probably do the concept justice though.

Yeah, that's why I'm worried. There definitely has to be a fine balance. It's why I like the movie so much, actually. Even though the story is pretty serious, the sheer number of gangs and how they seem almost cartoonish actually work in that universe. I have a sinking feeling that if it were made today, there would be almost no "cartoony" gangs. And if there were, they would be completely over-the-top, and not in a good way that fits in the style.

I know that feel. Being in a room of your peers talking about the hippity-hop, and not even being about to join in.

It hurts. Hurts the soul.

I don't dislike any genre of music really, I just don't follow it like others.

Yes I sleep in my car and wear hoodies. No no one as called the police on my yet, but I do get pulled over and asked if I have any warrents quite often.

Learn more about country to one up her.

Check out the Gafhop thread, return to work and drop some science on her.

"Damn par, word is bond, I thought you were a head like that god."

Slayven

Fake the funk, pretend to into underground artists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom