• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I really got into him after watching Jackie Brown in the late 90s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOg_8hCC4u4

The movie the song is derived from is damned good too.
It's cool that he's still making music. I was surprised to hear this came out last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th2XiEN2Dcg
Hell yeah! Bravest Man in the Universe is his new album and just dropped last year, almost under my radar. It really felt like it came out of nowhere to me too, but industry insiders or people who have paid close attention to his constant collabs and features shouldn't have been surprised as he's kept a healthy presence in various projects as a vocals for a long time now. The most recent that comes to mind as one of my favorites was his bit in Cloud of Unknowing on Plastic Beach via the Gorillaz. Bravest Man in the Universe is just the first big solo effort he's put out in years and honestly it has no right to be as great as it is considering he hasn't done a studio release on his own in so long. That's usually a terminal prognosis in terms quality for past great artists. But it really is a phenomenal album and I really recommend anyone that likes soul or the music in Jackie Brown to give it a listen when you get the chance.

Besides the one you posted Spring, I really like the title track 'Bravest Man in the Universe' and 'Whatever Happened To The Times?'

Dayglo Reflection is another good one that features Lana Del Ray, for da popGAF lurkers (basically Mumei & Satch).

Hell yeah! Bravest Man in the Universe is his new album and just dropped last year, almost under my radar. It really felt like it came out of nowhere to me too, but industry insiders or people who have paid close attention to his constant collabs and features shouldn't have been surprised as he's kept a healthy presence in various projects as a vocals for a long time now. The most recent that comes to mind as one of my favorites was his bit in Cloud of Unknowing on Plastic Beach via the Gorillaz. Bravest Man in the Universe is just the first big solo effort he's put out in years and honestly it has no right to be as great as it is considering he hasn't done a studio release on his own in so long. That's usually a terminal prognosis in terms quality for past great artists. But it really is a phenomenal album and I really recommend anyone that likes soul or the music in Jackie Brown to give it a listen when you get the chance.

Besides the one you posted Spring, I really like the title track 'Bravest Man in the Universe' and 'Whatever Happened To The Times?'

Dayglo Reflection is another good one that features Lana Del Ray, for da popGAF lurkers (basically Mumei & Satch).

I'll definitely check that whole album out, thanks.

Devo's avatar is like spray panting on the Mona Lisa.

I hate seeing praise for the Mona Lisa; it's the most underwhelming thing in The Louvre. There are paintings as big as whole walls in most houses in the same room as the Mona Lisa and they're actually cool. Equating Devolution to that painting is a back-handed compliment

Slayven

Slay... Go to the fridge... Get yourself some water...
Got my drink right here brotha.

n9jk3vZ.jpg

That's way too prepared for the podcast.

I'm in class right now, be home in a couple hours if you really wanna test it. It'll sound better than it will when we record because we won't be connected with 4 other people.

There are is no rush.

Onemic

Just watched Jackie Brown yesterday and I was disappointed. It wasn't bad by any means but I expected much more considering it was Tarantino and it was regarded as one of his better movies.

It has plenty if famous actors in it, I was even surprised to see Chris Tucker in it but disappointed by his small part. Despite the big names no one really stands out as a character in the movie, they all were pretty basic and never grew throughout the film. I guess they were uninteresting because I didn't find myself cheering for or hating any of them. It was a basic heist film and the whole movie pretty much centered on that aspect to its detriment. It just kept building up to the big heist but nothing really crazy or memorable happened.

That about sums up my feelings on the movie as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom