• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imm0rt4l

The saddest of nerdoms, next to bronies.
Definitely not, too many peeps grew up on dbz for them all to be relegated to that level of geekdom. People in the hood fuck with dbz. The average DB fan doesn't have aspergers, can't say the same for bronies.

Slayven

Definitely not, too many peeps grew up on dbz for them all to be relegated to that level of geekdom. People in the hood fuck with dbz. The average DB fan doesn't have aspergers, can't say the same for bronies.

It is sad when folks debate DBZ. DBZ is straight ABC logic and has a linear power curve, what is there too debate?

G-Fex

Two things people grew up on that I just don't 'Get'

DBZ and Pokemon

I wish I could debate Digimon without someone bringing up Season 4...and Renamon. I mean, they deserve mocking, but damn. Set fans back for years.
Two things people grew up on that I just don't 'Get'

DBZ and Pokemon

You had to have been there for both. I honestly can't imagine not playing Pokemon since everyone in my schools since middle school have always played it, no matter what the clique.

Slayven

I wish I could debate Digimon without someone bringing up Season 4...and Renamon. I mean, they deserve mocking, but damn. Set fans back for years.

You had to have been there for both. I honestly can't imagine not playing Pokemon since everyone in my schools since middle school have always played it, no matter what the clique.

Debating Digimon is nonsense, cause Damon wins every fight, even the ones he is not involved with. Also Digimon shits on Pokemon when it comes to design. I think that is part of the reason it never caught on, no way they could put ever pokemon with their attacks into a game.

G-Fex

I'm pretty sure I'm older than you beef. I however for some reason avoided pokemon games and the show. Which I don't regret.

dbz I don't know, maybe cause i didn't have cable at the time.

Digimon series 1 and 2 were the only ones worth watching. When they introduced the 3 kids with cards or whatever, was when it went downhill fast.

Nothing beats Monster Rancher though. That show was the underrated gem of after-school anime.

Imm0rt4l

It is sad when folks debate DBZ. DBZ is straight ABC logic and has a linear power curve, what is there too debate?
I'm not sure what you mean or why those fans should be compared to Bronies who are typically socially inept. I wouldn't even ascribe that sort of thing to comic book fans. Anyone passionate about a medium can debate, even wack anime like dbz. Dbz transcends anime in terms of pop culture so you don't even have to be a nerd to discuss it.

Debating Digimon is nonsense, cause Damon wins every fight, even the ones he is not involved with. Also Digimon shits on Pokemon when it comes to design. I think that is part of the reason it never caught on, no way they could put ever pokemon with their attacks into a game.

Daimon was such a fucking boss.

DominoKid

dragon ball z is real nigga shit. it goes so hard. there's like a certain age group of guys i'll say from about 15-30 (i'm 21), that i am legitimately shocked if a person says they didn't watch dbz.
you cant lump it in w/ weirdo shit like furries and bronies.

as far as pokemon and digimon, you are out of your mind if you think digimon was better than pokemon. yeah pokemon's fallen off recently but when they both actually mattered (the beginning), pokemon shat all over digimon in pretty much every conceivable way. it's no wonder that shit took the world by storm.

on another note, it amazed me how quickly beyblades came and went as far as being relevant in the states. i loved those toys.

Slayven

I'm not sure what you mean or why those fans should be compared to Bronies who are typically socially inept. I wouldn't even ascribe that sort of thing to comic book fans. Anyone passionate about a medium can debate, even wack anime like dbz. Dbz transcends anime in terms of pop culture so you don't even have to be a nerd to discuss it.

Bronies say the same thing.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
The only bronie shit worth a damn we're those newsground type toons that reminded me of Ren & Stimpy..... I didnt understand the references to the show but Those shits were funny regardless.

They crazy one kept telling them stay the fuck out its shed lol

as far as pokemon and digimon, you are out of your mind if you think digimon was better than pokemon. yeah pokemon's fallen off recently but when they both actually mattered (the beginning), pokemon shat all over digimon in pretty much every conceivable way. it's no wonder that shit took the world by storm.

on another note, it amazed me how quickly beyblades came and went as far as being relevant in the states. i loved those toys.
Digimon shits on Pokemon in regards to the anime. Digimon ain't shit to Pokemon in the games department though, which is where it really matters tbh.
Digimon stay losing.
Yeah...yeah... :(

When I was 14 I bought DBZ subs from Japan because I was sick of Toonamis filler ridden bullshit.

Shit came in all sloppy on a VHS tape lol.

But when I got Dragon Ball Legends and Ultimate 22 on PS1...oh snappppp. Shit was like I had some forbidden fruit in my hand. This was back in the day when guys were straight up selling burned games because the law had yet to catch up to the internet/computers.

DominoKid

Digimon was much better as an anime than Pokémon. Come on now.

i thought the digimon anime was stupid as hell. it always felt like it was trying waaaaaay too hard for what it was (a merch shill cartoon). i have no love for digimon.

pokemon anime is awesome except for the fact that ash will never win. sure the formula is basic as hell but it's just fun to watch. and the first few seasons had so many feels.
i felt ash's pain when he had to let his pokemon go. or the lt. surge episodes for example.

When I was 14 I bought DBZ subs from Japan because I was sick of Toonamis filler ridden bullshit.

Shit came in all sloppy on a VHS tape lol.

But when I got Dragon Ball Legends and Ultimate 22 on PS1...oh snappppp. Shit was like I had some forbidden fruit in my hand. This was back in the day when guys were straight up selling burned games because the law had yet to catch up to the internet/computers.

dude i had the Ultimate 22, instruction manual. that's it! idk how i got it. but it KILLED me to wait for the characters in the game to show up in the anime.
i remember thinking it was fake originally...and then i discovered that DBZ was way ahead of us in Japan. i spent so much time on the internet because of dbz.

i thought the digimon anime was stupid as hell. it always felt like it was trying waaaaaay too hard for what it was (a merch shill cartoon).

pokemon anime is awesome except for the fact that ash will never win. sure the formula is basic as hell but it's just fun to watch. and the first few seasons had so many feels.
i felt ash's pain when he had to let his pokemon go. or the lt. surge episodes for example.
Pffft. Digimon were badass as hell. On the first season you has a dinosaur turning into a dinosaur with pieces of metal strapped to it and then the next season sucked but it had the dragon and the bug fusing into a guy with parts of both but motherfucking laser guns. It was awesome. Also the kids grew up and didn't forget they shouldn't be idiots after every episode.

But then you have Pokémon where every fight was "X! Use Y! OMG why didn't it work" then Misty wondering why that didn't work and then Brock, arms crossed, who explains that Ground is immune to Electric. Well everybody knows that you idiot everybody played like 2 million hours of the games. And let's hype Kadabra vs. Hunter and then have the fight solved by laughing.

And have Pidgeotto be a fucking chump who never, ever did anything right. The only time he did he evolved and he was abandoned.

DB/DBZ and all that is not my cup of tea. Bored me to tears.

Digimon sucked as a staff, record label and as a muthafuckin crew. And If you wanna be down with digimon, then fuck you too. Professor beef fuck you too.

Imm0rt4l

Pffft. Digimon were badass as hell. On the first season you has a dinosaur turning into a dinosaur with pieces of metal strapped to it and then the next season sucked but it had the dragon and the bug fusing into a guy with parts of both but motherfucking laser guns. It was awesome. Also the kids grew up and didn't forget they shouldn't be idiots after every episode.

But then you have Pokémon where every fight was "X! Use Y! OMG why didn't it work" then Misty wondering why that didn't work and then Brock, arms crossed, who explains that Ground is immune to Electric. Well everybody knows that you idiot everybody played like 2 million hours of the games. And let's hype Kadabra vs. Hunter and then have the fight solved by laughing.

And have Pidgeotto be a fucking chump who never, ever did anything right. The only time he did he evolved and he was abandoned.
Its amazing that they got so much mileage out of the Pokemon formula. Geez.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
DBZ talk?

vQllJFV.gif

I'm out.

Pokemon's story was stuck in molasses.

Stop getting distracted Ash! You got shit to do. You'll never be a pokemon master at this rate. Jus go home.

DominoKid

Its amazing that they got so much mileage out of the Pokemon formula. Geez.

because it's some simple shit. that's the genius of it.

yugioh's another show in the same vein. although it ran it's course after the battle city arc because it started to take itself too seriously.

Nah, Brock wasn't a simp. He had no game, but he knew when to move on.

yeah i don't think brock was a simp. he just loved the chase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom