• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

It's bullshit though, especially compared to the type of shit people have caught bans, up to and including perms, for. As long as you manage to not explicitly use slurs, people seem to get a pass.

Like, you can be a racist, but you can't be too negative about video games.
You can be a racist, but you can't question certain mod decisions or forum updates.
You can be a racist, but you can't be overly concerned about Sonic's eye color.
You can be a racist, but you can't be too much of a Nintendo fanboy.
You can be a racist, but you can't be too much of an anti-Nintendo fanboy.
You can be a racist, but you can't say "would".
Racism is cool, but making fun of someone liking k-On is too much.
Racism is fine, but a troll-titled, yet factual thread about Skull Kid being a Smash Bros assist trophy is over the line.

People are getting months (sometimes even multiple) for calling people morons. Cats getting permed over some nonsense that happened in the confines of one community thread. Shit that happened outside the forum/petty IRL drama leading to a perma-ban. But people talking about "I can't relate to this thug garbage" about a game in a franchise where the object of the game is organized crime and you can kill prostitutes for refunds, are still around to this day. You can say shit like "Isn't black history month something made up by followers of Black Athena" and get away unscathed. You can say shit like "I'd like to walk down the street and not get murdered by a young black man" and get away unscathed. Or at the most, temp bans. I know mods have lives and aren't in every thread and all that, but the frequency that people post all kinds of thinly veiled, dog-whistled, code worded bullshit and get no more than a temporary ban, if that, is baffling. Especially compared to how often people get banned for just about anything else.

It's complete bullshit.

Reminds me of that wu tang chess thread, had a poster make a "supposed" dark humor joke about people getting shot cause its going to be like the hiphop awards, nothing happened even had a mod defend it. But if it was a dark humor joke about homosexuality automatic ban, once the mod defended i just smh and closed out.

Village

It's bullshit though, especially compared to the type of shit people have caught bans, up to and including perms, for. As long as you manage to not explicitly use slurs, people seem to get a pass.

You can be a racist, but you can't question certain mod decisions or forum updates.
You can be a racist, but you can't be overly concerned about Sonic's eye color, and post weird ass creepy fan art and videos in threads that do not have any relation to that subject matter.
Racism is fine, but a troll-titled, yet factual thread about Skull Kid being a Smash Bros assist trophy is over the line.

People are getting months (sometimes even multiple) for calling people morons. Cats getting permed over some nonsense that happened in the confines of one community thread. Shit that happened outside the forum/petty IRL drama leading to a perma-ban. But people talking about "I can't relate to this thug garbage" about a game in a franchise where the object of the game is organized crime and you can kill prostitutes for refunds, are still around to this day. You can say shit like "Isn't black history month something made up by followers of Black Athena" and get away unscathed. You can say shit like "I'd like to walk down the street and not get murdered by a young black man" and get away unscathed. Or at the most, temp bans. I know mods have lives and aren't in every thread and all that, but the frequency that people post all kinds of thinly veiled, dog-whistled, code worded bullshit and get no more than a temporary ban, if that, is baffling. Especially compared to how often people get banned for just about anything else.

It's complete bullshit.

I made a little addendum.

Village

I just listened to a story on that piece this morning on NPR, Mumei. They really stressed that a lot of this wasn't just parents, but specific, targeted actions by school officials to re-segregate the student populations. It's fucked up and people need to lose their jobs.

JtQQx25.gif

Re-Segregate.

RE

What in the world

Nakazato

BCT Power Levels:

10-0 = "Drake"
100-10 = "Steal On Him"
500-100 = "Your shoes might get dirty so take those off first"
1000-500 = "Might want Obama Care before stepping to this nicca"
5000-1000 = "Did you bring a gat?"
9000-5000 = "Monica just go home and be a family man"
Over 9000 = "Sharkeisha no!"

GODDAMMIT

DominoKid

I just listened to a story on that piece this morning on NPR, Mumei. They really stressed that a lot of this wasn't just parents, but specific, targeted actions by school officials to re-segregate the student populations. It's fucked up and people need to lose their jobs.

That shit used to kill me in middle and hs. Like...how do you track out a kids educational future in the 6th grade?

Didn't realize my last post was the second last on the page

It's my burfday, I ain't gonna party ('til tomorrow) like it's my burthday, won't find me da club.. bottle full of vodka!

50-cent-in-da-club-o.gif

So it's my 22nd today brehs, a good friend told me position myself so I can do great things, even if in the short term I couldn't give af about 'em.

just gotta rub fam's face in it :D.

I don't understand how these schools haven't been probably regulated by the school board.

If the school boards aren't doing it, then their jobs need to be lost like, now.

From the Nicki Minaj thread:

GAF ethered.

I was wondering where that thread was gonna go.

In the Gaf-force hierarchy where does the RationaleForce fall? Above or below defense force?

Perhaps it's a utilitarian force that goes where it's needed. Like a Robert Horry with his well timed 3's.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

You can be a racist, but you can't be overly concerned about Sonic's eye color.

It's complete bullshit.
People get banned over racist shit all the time. Quit bitching. If you feel offended PM A MOD. don't come in here to vent. Black GAF ain't got shit.

Edit: sad shit is that it goes both ways. Black GAF gets away with bullshit posts all the time, especially in here where there are frequent mods like bish and mum

cdyhybrid

It's my burfday, I ain't gonna party ('til tomorrow) like it's my burthday, won't find me da club.. bottle full of vodka!

50-cent-in-da-club-o.gif

So it's my 22nd today brehs, a good friend told me position myself so I can do great things, even if in the short term I couldn't give af about 'em.

Happy bday man!

EloquentM

aka Mannny

50-cent-in-da-club-o.gif

Feliz cumpleaños

Infinite

Some of the posts in that nicki Minaj thread is weird. I get the feeling some of these dudes going on with the "she looks better natural" and "much better without the clown makeup" posts really think that when a woman wears makeup or does anything to their appearance that they doing it for them to look at. nobody asked you if you think she looks better with less makeup. I witness shit like this all the time and it's kind of annoying to me now.

I also take issue with that title despite it being a GAF thing.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Some of the posts in that nicki Minaj thread is weird. I get the feeling some of these dudes going on with the "she looks better natural" and "much better without the clown makeup" posts really think that when a woman wears makeup or does anything to their appearance that they doing it for them to look at. nobody asked you if you think she looks better with less makeup. I witness shit like this all the time and it's kind of annoying to me now.

Mountain out of a mole hill? Minaj dresses so eccentricly to catch the publics eye, so she is wearing all that make up for them to keep them interested. It's part of her image as a celebrity. Also, it's a discussion forum. If you can't take people giving opinions why are you here?

yeah, Nicki just wears that ridiculous gear for herself.

akira28

People get banned over racist shit all the time. Quit bitching. If you feel offended PM A MOD. don't come in here to vent. Black GAF ain't got shit.

Edit: sad shit is that it goes both ways. Black GAF gets away with bullshit posts all the time, especially in here where there are frequent mods like bish and mum

tippy toe the line, breh. He has an opinion and I don't exactly disagree.

also in the BCT we aren't talking out of school.

Esch

Banned

The whole thread is about what she looks like. The whole point of it is to give your opinion. If you got a problem with dudes commenting on how some chick looks you got a problem with life.

Infinite

Mountain out of a mole hill? Minaj dresses so eccentricly to catch the publics eye, so she is wearing all that make up for them to keep them interested. It's part of her image as a celebrity. Also, it's a discussion forum. If you can't take people giving opinions why are you here?
What are you talking about. I'm giving my opinion on something on a forum meant to do so. Calm down.

Also she dresses for herself as that is her image. her goal in doing so isn't to make neogaf posters tight in the pants. Please.

got problem with BCT the door's that way mang

EloquentM

aka Mannny
What are you talking about JC the person I'm talking about is the one I quoted literally less than 20 posts ago.

no need to go that far.

but what's the deal elo?
Just don't like people complaining over stuff that doesnt matter or being completely ignorant to things that are heavily enforced. If someone ever feels offended over some racist shit on this site PM bish. Y'all know he'll take care of it but bitching about it won't do anything. That irks me.

Infinite

Just don't like people complaining over stuff that doesnt matter or being completely ignorant to things that are heavily enforced. If someone ever feels offended over some racist shit on this site PM bish. Y'all know he'll take care of it but bitching about it won't do anything. That irks me.

He was just venting and he probably pmed a mod on each case he brought up anyway. You're not being conducive to any sort of discussion if you're going to stand here say shit like this. You can also not be bothered too.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
He was just venting and he probably pmed a mod on each case he brought up anyway. You're not being conducive to any sort of discussion if you're going to stand here say shit like this. You can also not be bothered too.

Yall really gonna act like what he's saying hasn't been stated by DY and others before? lol

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
1) Time and place for certain complaints. I totally understand where BHZ is coming from, but continuing down certain roads always leads to trouble. I seem to Recall Certain places where these things can be vented if needed. He didn't need to be chewed out for it though, Elo.

2) BCT disagree all the time about everything, just step of the gas unless Slay or JC is in the headlights. Keep it light, mang.

akira28

he isn't the one size fits all solution to the problem, and he can't think or act for every one in every event in every thread. there are more than a few different views in the redzone. and a lot of stuff is allowed to sit right on the line without crossing it. It's baked in, and it always pops up eventually, otherwise we wouldn't see the ban hammer getting swung when shit gets egregious. So don't imagine that it's problem solved, or that we're the other side of the same coin. That's not exactly cool.

Gorillaz

also like jackben said, we argue about everything so it's all good

Yall really gonna act like what he's saying hasn't been stated by DY and others before? lol
I think even Bish mentioned about it as well

Eloquent bought an XB1 in secret, and now he's sweatin the NPD results. It's ok, we're here for you.

NPD got dudes out here sweating and shit.

acting like it's the first of the month and realizing they don't have their paycheck for the bills

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I'm not being conducive to the discussion because I disagree? Cause that's what that sounds like. Circle jerking about how half of GAF is subtly racist and mods won't do anything about it surely will make for a good discussion. Nah I'm not down for mass confirmation bias. Like I said you feel offended vent to a mod. Got no time to get heated over some forum goers.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Act like people (mods too) haven't brought up the "echo chamber" comment before, brehs. lol. That shit does get tiring. Everyone can understand, and it's nothing wrong with doing from time to time, but, don't act new when someone brings it up. lol

I was under the impression that the thread is a spot where we can talk and clown without having to worry about stepping on the rest of Gaf's toes, while still being aware of the overarching rules. If people start calling out over venting about shit that's true, might as well change it to the Black Crab Thread and be done with it.

Mods aren't on the site all the time looking at every thread, so some things get caught and some don't. If a mod isn't interested in a thread they probably aren't looking at it unless they get PM'd or the title itself is a warning. I got banned for two weeks for calling a shitty Shuri thread a shitty Shuri thread, but earlier this week we had a thread about how shitty Shuri threads are featuring Evilore himself. There's a degree of fairness to the sight, but ultimately that's all it is, a degree. It's still better than most, though.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
he isn't the one size fits all solution to the problem, and he can't think or act for every one in every event in every thread. there are more than a few different views in the redzone. and a lot of stuff is allowed to sit right on the line without crossing it. It's baked in, and it always pops up eventually, otherwise we wouldn't see the ban hammer getting swung when shit gets egregious. So don't imagine that it's problem solved, or that we're the other side of the same coin. That's not exactly cool.
True and I'm not ignoring that fact or the fact that the mods are human. I'm just saying getting mad at it and complaing is just as redundant as doing nothing about it. The least you can do is notify someone and bring it up but getting heated and venting about it, chill, smoke some weed, have a drink shit.

BHZ Mayor

I'd appreciate it if y'all wouldn't battle royal over my post, because despite the hostile tone, he actually does have a point about the venting. But I felt like venting, so I vented. A lot of the bullshit does get stamped out, but like I said in my post, a lot gets overlooked or lenient bans compared to other shit. But if my post warrants any punishment then so be it. Just don't get taken down with me going at each other's throats if that's the case.

Infinite

I'm not being conducive to the discussion because I disagree? Cause that's what that sounds like. Circle jerking about how half of GAF is subtly racist and mods won't do anything about it surely will make for a good discussion. Nah I'm not down for mass confirmation bias. Like I said you feel offended vent to a mod. Got no time to get heated over some forum goers.
I don't care if you agree or disagree but telling dude to essentially shut up isn't do anyone any favors. Like if you didn't care for what he posted why even entertain it by responding? Whatever, I got nothing against you but you do seem on edge right now.

You got a problem with certain posts, call em out, nigga. Don't stand on ceremony around here.

Y'all are wild in here. I love it.
Sometimes you just gotta let things roll off your back unless they put hands on you with some direct verbal out of pocket shenanigans. OT and GAMES are a different world. They say some crazy stuff over there because they feel comfortable. Ditto for over here.

The minute the bans start citing every transgression, it'll change the tone of the place. Doesn't make it right, but it works. The fact that my dude can say what I just quoted and nobody has to call the GafPolice in here is testament.

I feel my man's frustration, but an irl buddy just talked me down from the ledge about some similar shit that's outside of my control. Don't sweat the small stuff.

akira28

I'd appreciate it if y'all wouldn't battle royal over my post, because despite the hostile tone, he actually does have a point about the venting. But I felt like venting, so I vented. A lot of the bullshit does get stamped out, but like I said in my post, a lot gets overlooked or lenient bans compared to other shit. But if my post warrants any punishment then so be it. Just don't get taken down with me going at each other's throats if that's the case.

shut up niqqa

Top Bottom