• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

royalan

Solange went on twitter rant about the subject last year:

dqYUFNi.png

As for me, on one hand, I'd hate to adopt the type of elitist thinking that dictates only certain "qualified" people should write about certain genres of music. I'd hate to think that someone with a genuine love of hip-hop shouldn't be allowed to express his views on the music simply because he didn't grow up in the hood immersed in the culture.

Then, on the other hand, we get flooded with shit like, "Macklemore is the only rapper with anything to say." And it's in those moments that I agree wholeheartedly with Solange and the author of the article you posted.

Been watching Hannibal and I'm waiting for orphan black to premiere.

The premier was tonight, sis.

FyreWulff

People liked Macklemore because his stuff was inoffensive and mass-market tuned. Pop-rap. Not a bad thing in itself, but through it's very nature more people can listen to it and like it, and then some take it too far and say he's the only one with something to say, when in reality it's really he was rapping what they wanted to hear.

The difference between Macklemore and Tupac, Dre, Snoop, Em, Biggie is their songs are personal. You'll probably hear a thrift shop cover years from now, but nobody is going to cover any of the hip hop songs because it doesn't make sense why a 20-something starlet is talking about their mom stealing their medication to high off of or seeing their cousin blown away by a cop. People from the same background can appreciate the songs more because it's catharsis for what they have to live through and feel like someone else is going through it too. It's a musical documentary, not a star vehicle.

Anyone can still write on and grade the songs, though, because even if it's real, you have to put it together in a skillful and clever way. I can't really grade Tupac's story that he tells, persay, but I can sure pick apart some clever beat switches and rhymes and half-rhymes and explain why they're cool. That's reviewing the technical side of it. Then have the hip hop mags write and talk about the emotional side of it. Write to your intended audience

Gorillaz

Reviewing music and the such like what Pitchfork or TheNeedleDrop on youtube, is almost a waste of time since alot of it literally depends on taste of the individual. That's one of the weird gray areas of judging music and artist.

Basically what Fyre said tho about Macklemore, he is a easy sell able artist with nothing really "threatening" or different. It's almost like a tastelessness type of deal with him. The tracks are catchy and the words come off harmless so basically anyone who hates the genre or older type will automatically cling on to that and in turn become that annoying fanbase that has been loud as fuck about his music today.

It's impressive and some of his stuff is catchy, but I still give him 2-3 years and then it's over. He seems the type to rely heavily on playing off of society rather than having his own "style" or personality.
edit:

dude gets overwhelmed by the power of the twerk contest (skip to 10:23)

i guess that means she wins right?

when they put it on the big screen
C2xkH.png

hold on....WHAT IS THAT, hold on, hold on

he has climaxed......HOLD ON

FyreWulff

Reviewing music and the such like what Pitchfork or TheNeedleDrop on youtube, is almost a waste of time since alot of it literally depends on taste of the individual. That's one of the weird gray areas of judging music and artist.

Basically what Fyre said tho about Macklemore, he is a easy sell able artist with nothing really "threatening" or different. It's almost like a tastelessness type of deal with him. The tracks are catchy and the words come off harmless so basically anyone who hates the genre or older type will automatically cling on to that and in turn become that annoying fanbase that has been loud as fuck about his music today.

It's impressive and some of his stuff is catchy, but I still give him 2-3 years and then it's over. He seems the type to rely heavily on playing off of society rather than having his own "style" or personality.

A friend put it in a good way.. Macklemore is like the Twilight books. They're not a specific story about Bella finding a boyfriend named Shaun who's a mechanic in Ohio and has a mom who's deaf and a dad in jail. That's too specific. She's a generic character that most women can insert themselves in the place of while reading the book and enjoy it. And that's why they sold well.

Kreed

Its going to be interesting not having aaron direct this season

But I heard he was barely there for season 3 so I guess nothing will change

Aaron wrote every episode of Season 3, and most of them by himself. I'm hoping Season 3 is good but I'm keeping my expectations low.

A friend put it in a good way.. Macklemore is like the Twilight books. They're not a specific story about Bella finding a boyfriend named Shaun who's a mechanic in Ohio and has a mom who's deaf and a dad in jail. That's too specific. She's a generic character that most women can insert themselves in the place of while reading the book and enjoy it. And that's why they sold well.

I like the metaphor.

Though now I'm sitting here thinking, "Macklemore is Bella, Ryan Lewis is Edward...who is the Wanz? I need to know!"

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
TV:

Agents of SHIELD
Arrow
Boxing
Various MMA (UFC, Bellator, random shit on AXS TV)
Continuum
Lost Girl
Community
Suits
Batman Beyond (Netflix)
Young Justice (Netflix)
Chuck (Netflix)
Scrubs (Netflix)

Movies:

Cap 2
The Grandmaster (Netflix)
Ip Man (Netflix)
Coneheads (Netflix)
For a Few Dollars More (Netflix)
Rapture Palooza (Netflix)
The Family (Netflix)
The Eagle (Netflix)
That is what the fuck is up. MissMartian the GOAT goon.
Why would I want to trade down?
You know I lost 200 bucks on Carmouche last night?

Never betting on freedom again lol

jWILL253

Banned
So, I'm friends on Facebook with a bunch of thirst traps. I never talk to them, but it's fun to look at their pictures from time to time when I'm bored.

One of them is a stripper, and she recently updated her status went along the lines of "I hate it when drug dealers try to pay me. Like, yeah, I strip, but I don't do physical contact and I'm not fucking nobody. Meanwhile, you're ruining people's lives by dealing drugs!"

Nothing against strippers, but bragging about the fact that you strip, but don't do any sort of physical contact, is like being a prostitute and saying "but at least I use condoms and I don't do anal!"

She's dead on about the comparison to drug dealing, though. At least strippers are making people happy, lol...

Village

Why they had to cancel Young Justice for Teen Titans Go!

WHY!!

Basing profits on toy sales, video games and other memorabilia instead of actual people watching the show.

Bad management at CN.

Everyone one working on other things eliminating the chance for it coming back like unlimited under new management.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking about going to a Lauren Hill concert next month. Is she a good performer still, or is she too far gone now?

She's the main reason I'm considering getting tickets to FPSF next month

Shame she never did another studio album after The Miseducation. She's so damn talented

Basically what Fyre said tho about Macklemore, he is a easy sell able artist with nothing really "threatening" or different. It's almost like a tastelessness type of deal with him. The tracks are catchy and the words come off harmless so basically anyone who hates the genre or older type will automatically cling on to
So he's Lil Wayne during his years he gave up being a good rapper and got lazy to get popular. And bleached him and washed his mouth out with soap

Top Bottom