• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

Are you referring to that stripper video on WSHH? Because if so, yeah that shit was horrific.

I can imagine his friends that was with him that night looking at him like

Vn0txAa.gif

not like this

Reactions literally had me near to flatline. Me being sick is preventing me from laughing as much as I can. I had to hold that shit in like I was trying to swallow hiccups

Kreed

There's so much the general public is oblivious to. Its frightening.

I wouldn't call it being oblivious vs outright racism/discrimination. Terrorism has become synonymous with followers of the Islamic faith and anyone who looks like a follower of Islam since 9/11, usually foreign. When it is a US citizen it is always "domestic terrorism", "extremist", or "mass shooter" or anything else but the terrorist label the killers should get. Unless they are in some Islamic group or religion, they never get the terror label.

RedSwirl

Welp, I'm back in the K-drama game. I still don't understand how I get so emotionally invested in this shit. This is like the only time I've ever talked back to characters on a TV show.

Aurora, Colorado movie shooting - 2012
Columbine, Colorado school massacre - 1999
Omaha, Nebraska mall shooting - 2007
Attempted assassination of a Congresswoman in Arizona - 2011
Wisconsin Sikh Temple Killings - 2011

could go on

I guess it doesn't count as terrorism when 'muh guns' is in play
or when the people doing the terrorism are white

Middle eastern=terrorist
Black/latino=gangbanger or thug
Asian=???
White=mental illness

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I wouldn't call it being oblivious vs outright racism/discrimination. Terrorism has become synonymous with followers of the Islamic faith and anyone who looks like a follower of Islam since 9/11, usually foreign. When it is a US citizen it is always "domestic terrorism", "extremist", or "mass shooter" or anything else but the terrorist label the killers should get. Unless they are in some Islamic group or religion, they never get the terror label.

No no... Riovane is absolutely right. Shit that pops up in work that we're forced to acknowledge for what it is is usually presented extremely differently than what is presented 3 degrees after the fact.

Their are a ridiculous number of backyard militias, military trained hooligans, copycats, gangs outside of your crips/ms13/bikers that'll shake the fuck out of you, etc out there that you'll simply never hear about because -even if the media wasn't a money making endeavor first- there simply isn't enough time in the newsday. And the irony is that even with all of that shit, the world is still an incredibly safer place now than it was 10/20/100 years ago.

basically - i seent some shit. and riovane most likely has too. i'm sure kaep has (either of those guys needs to hop on the next podcast for the... 'debut')

Middle eastern=terrorist
Black/latino=gangbanger or thug
Asian=???
White=mental illness

I can't stand it when the media use mental illness as the main reason for people doing inhumane stuff to others because it continues to spread this idea that people with mental health issues are crazy serial killers that need to be locked in a cage when that's not true. Shit, the only time the topic of mental health is even brought up is when these mass shootings occur.

Kreed

No no... Riovane is absolutely right. Shit that pops up in work that we're forced to acknowledge for what it is is usually presented extremely differently than what is presented 3 degrees after the fact.

Their are a ridiculous number of backyard militias, military trained hooligans, copycats, gangs outside of your crips/ms13/bikers that'll shake the fuck out of you, etc out there that you'll simply never hear about because -even if the media wasn't a money making endeavor first- there simply isn't enough time in the newsday. And the irony is that even with all of that shit, the world is still an incredibly safer place now than it was 10/20/100 years ago.

basically - i seent some shit. and riovane most likely has too. i'm sure kaep has (either of those guys needs to hop on the next podcast for the... 'debut')

My bad, I got you now. But is it not being covered because it isn't "news worthy" or because the info isn' t getting to certain media outlets. I would think Fox News or some of these conservative media types would be all over these stories to use as political fuel. It's got to be more exciting than a cattle rancher with guns. Hell CNN has all day to cover plane crash holograms.

DY_nasty

My bad, I got you now. But is it not being covered because it isn't "news worthy" or because the info isn' t getting to certain media outlets. I would think Fox News or some of these conservative media types would be all over these stories to use as political fuel. It's got to be more exciting than a cattle rancher with guns. Hell CNN has all day to cover plane crash holograms.
I went to New Orleans post-Katrina and I still get pissed off thinking about how much wasn't reported when there was so much attention placed on the area.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I can't stand it when the media use mental illness as the main reason for people doing inhumane stuff to others because it continues to spread this idea that people with mental health issues are crazy serial killers that need to be locked in a cage when that's not true. Shit, the only time the topic of mental health is even brought up is when these mass shootings occur.

Yeah our views on mental illness are still crazy antiquated over here.

I know university students who's legit response to a family member exhibiting symptoms of schizophrenia would be to "take them to church"

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Being in school during that sniper shit was theeee worst in MD. My young ass damn near jumped in the bushes seeing a fucking white van do the slow roll, while waiting on the bus.

Absolutely right about the tune change when they found out he was black.

Infinite

Yeah our views on mental illness are still crazy antiquated over here.

I know university students who's legit response to a family member exhibiting symptoms of schizophrenia would be to "take them to church"

Yeah I know about this all too well. Things like depression aren't taken seriously the poorer your family is and other things like trauma are shrugged off. At one point I wanted to change my major to psychology because this was a big problem around me and I wanted to do something about it.

So I have a fabulous update.

My dad's radiation treatments seem to have been quite successful. His lymph nodes reduced and so did the size of the obstruction in his throat. They didn't see a breach of his esophageal wall and they said he's in good condition for someone with his problem. Now they'll get more visuals and my dad will have to decide on what do about the remaining mass: surgery, stent, etc.

cdyhybrid

My dad's radiation treatments seem to have been quite successful. His lymph nodes reduced and so did the size of the obstruction in his throat. They didn't see a breach of his esophageal wall and they said he's in good condition for someone with his problem. Now they'll get more visuals and my dad will have to decide on what do about the remaining mass: surgery, stent, etc.

Good to hear.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
That's good to hear. Hope all of monicas and their families are doing well.

BHZ Mayor

That's what's up. Good to hear.

http://vinebox.tumblr.com/post/85249541261/slap-power-level-black-mothers

Boys reflexes are too potent. He look like he trained 100x earth gravity in the hyperbolic time chamber.
Brings up the age old question. Getting the shit slapped out of you in a public place loud enough for the deaf to hear it or getting a wrestling move performed on you in front of your peers in high school? Whats worse?
i never saw a perp transform from an expert marksman and brilliant tactician to shit so fast. before they had a suspect, some of the peeps on TV almost worshiped the beltway sniper.
Racism knows no bounds even in terrorism.
I went to New Orleans post-Katrina and I still get pissed off thinking about how much wasn't reported when there was so much attention placed on the area.
I went 5 months and then 2 years afterwards the conditions were essentially the same upon my second visit. There was a LOT of shit that didnt make headlines.

Preciate the assist. In all honesty the shit I saw in the military and the shit im privy to now would make your head spin. There are cats openly recruiting for these upstart "militias" complaining about the government and how they are taking this and that. Majority if not all is usually fueled by racist overtones. Its getting to the point that I can look at some of my "neighbors" and stereotype their "extracurricular activities". This shit will not be reported. It wont be covered. But to further add to the point DY made, you goddamn right its safer now. Compared to just 20 years ago. At the end of the day realize we live in a post 9/11, post-Katrina, post 1st term Obama presidency. Try to imagine how we would have responded to shit if this all happen 20 years ago.

double jump

Can y'all give examples of what was going down that news wasn't covering ? Cause mainstream news made it sound pretty bad.

That's awesome!

andthebeatgoeson

Good to hear Devo.

Preciate the assist. In all honesty the shit I saw in the military and the shit im privy to now would make your head spin. There are cats openly recruiting for these upstart "militias" complaining about the government and how they are taking this and that. Majority if not all is usually fueled by racist overtones. Its getting to the point that I can look at some of my "neighbors" and stereotype their "extracurricular activities". This shit will not be reported. It wont be covered. But to further add to the point DY made, you goddamn right its safer now. Compared to just 20 years ago. At the end of the day realize we live in a post 9/11, post-Katrina, post 1st term Obama presidency. Try to imagine how we would have responded to shit if this all happen 20 years ago.
Even that Bundy guy is a fucking terrorist. Wanted to put women in the firing line because he didn't want to pay the bill. Got his buddies to show up with guns and horses. Just plain terrorism.

DY_nasty

good news to hear devo
At the end of the day realize we live in a post 9/11, post-Katrina, post 1st term Obama presidency. Try to imagine how we would have responded to shit if this all happen 20 years ago.

Shit scares me both ways

double jump

pos need to invest in security of some sort so they stop taping his calls. lol

Ladies and gentleman lend me your energy so I can spirit bomb this dam writers block.

I need inspiration or a semi-major pretty world war 1 event that happened in the US

Top Bottom