• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

ht_hornets_instagram_kb_140520_16x9_608.jpg

Mike has no luck in the draft. He just needs to pick up Zak Randolph in free agency and and make zak, kimba, and big Al the new Zoe, Mugsy, and LJ

E3 stuff reminds me of an old coworker who used our company name to get into E3 even though he hadn't worked there for a year, haha.

I guess they are trying to crack down on stuff like that.

Trey

It's all in good fun. Embiid + Irving could be a nice combo for the next decade.

And I've heard every Sonics joke in the book. Can't phase me.

I feel you. I roll my eyes at the "Bills moving to Canada" jokes now, but I'd be salty for years if it actually came to pass.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Anyone doing a psychology degree could literally use gaming side behaviour as ammo for a killer thesis on internet, forum and mob mentality.

Just that E3 thread alone has produced some gems.

Gattsu25

Banned
Anyone doing a psychology degree could literally use gaming side behaviour as ammo for a killer thesis on internet, forum and mob mentality.

Just that E3 thread alone has produced some gems.
Gaming side isn't the only place here that can provide data for that thesis. It's just the nature of a community, online or off.

Wouldn't be surprised if the famousmortimer fallout had something to do with the blackball.

Even though some information pops up on GAF ahead of some media outlets, people exaggerate both the level of industry information on GAF and the level of industry knowledge. Most people with real information either have NDAs or the sense not to say too much.

FyreWulff

Wouldn't be surprised if the famousmortimer fallout had something to do with the blackball.

NeoGAF didn't get blackballed. It's a content aggregator, not a content producer. It links to the journalism of other sites, but doesn't produce one itself.

It'd actually be fairly simple to look like one - just have a front page that links to GAF forumer podcasts and such, and it'd pass E3's internal tests. There is no option for "gaming forum administrator" on the pass signup page, though.

NeoGAF didn't get blackballed. It's a content aggregator, not a content producer. It links to the journalism of other sites, but doesn't produce one itself.

It'd actually be fairly simple to look like one - just have a front page that links to GAF forumer podcasts and such, and it'd pass E3's internal tests. There is no option for "gaming forum administrator" on the pass signup page, though.

That's part of what seems to be the reason for denying the passes this time-while they were aware of GAF's actual functions, the scope and scale of the site gave it a unique position, but some factor led them to tighten the qualifications. Would just looking like a media outlet be enough?

ED: Looking a little more at the thread, it seems like industry politics more than anything else.

FyreWulff

That's part of what seems to be the reason for denying the passes this time-while they were aware of GAF's actual functions, the scope and scale of the site gave it a unique position, but some factor led them to tighten the qualifications. Would just looking like a media outlet be enough?

NeoGAF isn't even the largest gaming forum on the internet.

ED: Looking a little more at the thread, it seems like industry politics more than anything else.

Industry politics wouldn't be it. The people evaluating for free passes don't care who you actually are. They just go by a rulebook, and there are specific roles you must be in the sign-up page to get in as media.

Has any GAF admin done actual coverage as media at an E3? Where are the interviews? The blogs? The original articles? The most I've seen done is GAF admins show up on other journalist site's vidcasts and podcasts.

But then again, it's much easier to try and paint the 9-to-5 office worker that's going through the applications as someone with an axe to grind and try to rally the troops when all you have to do is pay for a pass to get in. It's a matter of ego.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
ht_hornets_instagram_kb_140520_16x9_608.jpg

Mike has no luck in the draft. He just needs to pick up Zak Randolph in free agency and and make zak, kimba, and big Al the new Zoe, Mugsy, and LJ

The fuck? You know we lucked INTO the top 10 right? We just stole Detroit's pick you fuckin heathen

NeoGAF isn't even the largest gaming forum on the internet.

Industry politics wouldn't be it. The people evaluating for free passes don't care who you actually are. They just go by a rulebook, and there are specific roles you must be in the sign-up page to get in as media.

Has any GAF admin done actual coverage as media at an E3? Where are the interviews? The blogs? The original articles? The most I've seen done is GAF admins show up on other journalist site's vidcasts and podcasts.

But then again, it's much easier to try and paint the 9-to-5 office worker that's going through the applications as someone with an axe to grind and try to rally the troops when all you have to do is pay for a pass to get in. It's a matter of ego.

Well that's what I'm saying, what was the difference this time if the process was the same as before, and if it's just a matter of paying for passes? GAF wasn't doing any structured coverage before, but Evilore was still able to get media passes, so is it just a simple rule revision?

ED: Yeah, just looked at the page and it doesn't seem like GAF fits the requirements as it is.

FyreWulff

Well that's what I'm saying, what was the difference this time if the process was the same as before, and if it's just a matter of paying for passes? GAF wasn't doing any structured coverage before, but Evilore was still able to get media passes, so is it just a simple rule revision?

They've slowly been tightening up over the years, while adding new qualified roles that can get free passes. Way back you could just put a couple of posts up and probably get in. Now they actually want your specific article URLs. You can also get in for being a podcaster now, which wasn't possible before. It used to be that you could be a Gamestop/Best Buy/Walmart employee and get in via that, but you can't do that anymore - you have to be at least a manager or higher position.

It changes year to year and they literally tell you the stuff that qualifies on the page. And even if you DO qualify in the technical sense, you're not guaranteed for a free pass. But you can always just buy your way in.

Gorillaz

The loophole for gaf most likely was it being tied to it's old site.

I don't understand how reddit gets in if Gaf doesn't. If they actually did get in this year.

i assume most people's bookmarks go straight to the OT or Gaming forum anyway. they'd never even see a front page full of news shit.

This is also true, still an article queue would require some effort on behalf of the staff and some actual money to bother with rejecting/editing shit.

Trey

any extra change evilore has should go into some better servers. Anything halfway interesting happens and GAF crashes.

Gorillaz

any extra change evilore has should go into some better servers. Anything halfway interesting happens and GAF crashes.

well....

As for the servers dying under load, that been happening a whole lot lately? We handled Beast Souls without a hitch. Teams of consultants couldn't do squat to optimize us any further, nor is it a hardware issue (increasing hardware resources significantly multiple times did nothing), but I have a friend who pretty much built the back end of Facebook and he went in and found some hidden issues and cleaned up our code base with custom solutions, so we should be in really good shape now, 2-4x efficiency and without the process bottlenecks that would cause the site to crash. I've been prepping us for E3 2014 for months after what happened last time around.

Even Evilore agreed last year that the so-called premier gaming forum constantly going down during the biggest gaming event of the year was an embarrassment. I hope shit works out better this time.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
They've slowly been tightening up over the years, while adding new qualified roles that can get free passes. Way back you could just put a couple of posts up and probably get in. Now they actually want your specific article URLs. You can also get in for being a podcaster now, which wasn't possible before. It used to be that you could be a Gamestop/Best Buy/Walmart employee and get in via that, but you can't do that anymore - you have to be at least a manager or higher position.

It changes year to year and they literally tell you the stuff that qualifies on the page. And even if you DO qualify in the technical sense, you're not guaranteed for a free pass. But you can always just buy your way in.

All of this.

Kreed

It just seems weird to give GAF E3 Media passes for years and then pull the plug now. Especially if the only reason is because it's a forum. I wouldn't be surprised if this gets cleared up in a day or two.

Never knew Evilore would be a brony hater.

He's probably referring to the super creepy types

Considering Pony GAF was the reason we lost animated avatars, I'm not surprised.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Whomever made this
Capra Demon
fight ain't shit. I Still won. Got the Drake sword (we made it) and magic. Putting in work at the
forest
now, or not. Lol

Went back to the Asylum... Nah. Hopped on that return flight out. Whomever put that
trap
there ain't shit either. Lol. *cries*

Game is crack. I'd love to play a game like Bayonetta or DMC set in this atmosphere. Or...a new Oni game. :/

Gorillaz

Whomever made this
Capra Demon
fight ain't shit. I Still won. Got the Drake sword (we made it) and magic. Putting in work at the
forest
now, or not. Lol
Went back to the Asylum... Nah. Hopped on that return flight out. Whomever put that
trap
there ain't shit either. Lol. *cries*

Game is crack. I'd love to play a game like Bayonetta or DMC set in this atmosphere. Or...a new Oni game. :/

I would check for everything in the Asylum at one point....Especially where you first began. Just my 2 cents
RQzIn.png

Top Bottom