• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

I learned the one thing I hate more than a lot of other things today. You ever had someone text you "Call Me!!!" and when you call them they don't answer. I'm talking someone important, not run of the mill mother fuckers. Then you get to that point where you get concerned and that turns to worry then anger. And when you finally speak to them 45 fucking minutes later, its fucking NOTHING! I almost broke a goddamn window.

Too many times

I learned the one thing I hate more than a lot of other things today. You ever had someone text you "Call Me!!!" and when you call them they don't answer. I'm talking someone important, not run of the mill mother fuckers. Then you get to that point where you get concerned and that turns to worry then anger. And when you finally speak to them 45 fucking minutes later, its fucking NOTHING! I almost broke a goddamn window.

That is one of my pet peeves, that and "phantom' calls. You know when you call someone let it ring until the voicemail comes up and they hit you with," you didn't call me" that makes me so angry

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
The Case for Reparations article in The Atlantic is really really good. He managed to pull together different pieces of discrimination and racial prejudice to show how entrenched the effects of slavery are today. If a there was ever an explanation of what white privilege is, that article should be it.

This is a brilliant article. Also the end is quite sad, shows that history is just repeating itself in more subtle ways. Here are some highlights:

It was in these early years that Ross began to understand himself as an American—he did not live under the blind decree of justice, but under the heel of a regime that elevated armed robbery to a governing principle.

The concentration of poverty has been paired with a concentration of melanin. The resulting conflagration has been devastating.

One thread of thinking in the African American community holds that these depressing numbers partially stem from cultural pathologies that can be altered through individual grit and exceptionally good behavior. Some put the blame on the family: “Too many men making too many babies they don’t want to take care of, and then we end up dealing with your children.” These are all wrong.

It is as though we have run up a credit-card bill and, having pledged to charge no more, remain befuddled that the balance does not disappear. The effects of that balance, interest accruing daily, are all around us.
One cannot escape the question by hand-waving at the past, disavowing the acts of one’s ancestors, nor by citing a recent date of ancestral immigration. The last slaveholder has been dead for a very long time. The last soldier to endure Valley Forge has been dead much longer. To proudly claim the veteran and disown the slaveholder is patriotism à la carte.

Indeed, in America there is a strange and powerful belief that if you stab a black person 10 times, the bleeding stops and the healing begins the moment the assailant drops the knife. We believe white dominance to be a fact of the inert past, a delinquent debt that can be made to disappear if only we don’t look.

“Wells Fargo mortgage had an emerging-markets unit that specifically targeted black churches because it figured church leaders had a lot of influence and could convince congregants to take out subprime loans.”

This is a brilliant article. Also the end is quite sad, shows that history is just repeating itself in more subtle ways. Here are some highlights:

To me, it makes what Sterling was pulling even more repugnant.

I've definitely not been on top of my history game so I didn't see how many of the incidents I've read about before were symptoms of a larger whole.

Article helped bring it together, I should probably do way more reading but it's kind of fucked that then I would know more black American history than I would Ghanaian history. I forsee lots of reading in my future

The future refuses to change. No matter how many people from different timelines in the future and from the past try to influence it.

What would be hilarious is when the teens go back everything changes for the worst and the only people that remember it are Wolvie and Beast. Everything that has gone wrong was their fault. I want this to happen just so marvel can say that Cyclops was right all along.

Gorillaz

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Been in this military/civilian transition class for the past week and... These guys really reaffirmed how fucking set I am compared to most. My job has taught me so much when it comes to just people in general. I'm truly, truly well spoken.
Pm announcement... Intriguing. That mean we shouldn't discuss the contents in the thread once received, Dy?
Yes.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
You're all getting the PM. One for all you crabs.

giphy.gif

BlackJace

Hope u didn't pay.

I told him I wasn't happy about it and he told me "Next time it'll be free". I was like "There won't be a next time bruh", and then he offered to just charge half. I was still pissed, but my friend offered to just slide him the nine dollars at that point.

Dude's been off his game for awhile now, probably won't be stepping to him anymore.

So DY where's the PM?

And Magnetos powers would be to dangerous for anyone. Its the little shit. How much metal is in the human body. How much metal we carry on ourselves at one time?

Xavier would be good for someone in intelligence or some law enforcement though. But Mags for everything else.

Slayven

So DY where's the PM?

And Magnetos powers would be to dangerous for anyone. Its the little shit. How much metal is in the human body. How much metal we carry on ourselves at one time?

Xavier would be good for someone in intelligence or some law enforcement though. But Mags for everything else.

I would appear in Time Square and make every radio in the city start blasting the Monstar's theme from Space Jam.

cdyhybrid

Do you really want to be exposed to the shit in people's heads?

Well, he can choose to read their minds or not, but...

X's power is great if you want to be a degenerate. But the shit those dudes are prepossessing requires way to much micromanagement. Mags just needs to flex one good time.

the temptation might be too great. Don't know if I could trust myself with that kind of power. Plus, I'm not the type to form some crazy convoluted plan to keep my powers hidden either.

Plus, there's something appealing about Magneto's power. The raw, primal power of controlling nature/reality. Xavier's power would probably sap any enjoyment I got out of life, since even if I could prevent myself from manipulating people, just knowing how easily that genuineness could be removed would be disheartening. I'd probably be prone to developing paranoia if I refused to use it constantly too, which is a possibility I can avoid if I never have the opportunity to read minds.

I'd probably take Magento's power and try to use it for good, and if the world wanted to try and take me out because I presented a threat regardless of the fact that I'm doing good deeds, I'd become the Magneto from the comics and fight to defend my (new) species.

Top Bottom