• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

Kreed

Being diagnosed as mentally ill is a privilege.

If you grew up poor, 'mentally ill' to you means wheelchair bound and on the short bus. That's it. You might've heard the term bi-polar before, but it didn't mean shit other than extraordinarily irrational. Looking back, I can think of dozens of people that were suffering from some kind of shit - but in a poor neighborhood, you don't get to be 'depressed' or have 'adhd'. You're left to either figure shit out on your own for your whole life. And when something does happen there's definitely nothing there to point out other than your own actions.

This is healthcare in general in the US (even with Obamacare). Poor folks aren't going to doctors for check ups/to check for cancer unless something is falling off.

Also the whole situation is about privilege. This kid was rich/was in a rich family and had everything given to him, but the one thing that he couldn't get without working for it, he goes on a killing spree. The same goes for the trench coat mafia and complaining about people not playing with them, and the kid at Virginia Tech mad he was an outcast. You're not going to find many people in poor neighborhoods doing shit like this even with a mental illness, because they have other problems/no delusions of the world being handed to them on a plate.

A lot of "mass murders" in the hood. They aren't labeled with mental illness. My question is more rhetorical than anything.

If bangers wrote out their "manifestos" instead of spoke it, maybe they'd get the label of being mentally ill (MAYBE). Just frustrating that someone can have it all, doing something deplorable and get the label, but people who live in sociological cages aren't evaluated for how that could affect their thinking.

It's hard for me to compare this situation 1 to 1 with gang banging simply because gang banging has a purpose. If this guy had robbed the victims or was doing the killings as a member of a gang, then I would 100% agree with what you're saying. It would be better to compare this to Christopher Dorner, or Aaron Alexis, or the woman who got gunned down outside the white house with her kid in the car. While these people were labeled as having mental illnesses, I would be surprised if the media didn't throw around the word "thug", "terrorist", or some other inappropriate terms.

In the case of this killer though, people just want a reason for it and for something to target. It's easy to understand robbery and gang retaliation as a motive vs a rich kid killing a bunch of women because "girls wouldn't have sex with him". Plus the media isn't using it as a way to excuse the kid's behavior like in a court of law vs the continuing narrative for more mental health evaluations/gun control in the US.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing

UJ3l6mB.gif

Also:
https://twitter.com/tha_rami/status/470554294660661248
https://twitter.com/tha_rami/status/470554557442166784

Slayven

I read like 30-40 pages of his manifesto, I don't really blame his parents. He was a ticking time bomb. I can't see what else they could have done.

He didn't spring forth from the womb fully formed. It seems like they gave him everything and when he went out into the real world and it smacked him hard.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Idiots saying OP is gay for his friend.

Idk man. I think it's shitty how people categorize close male relationships like that as well.

But dude is fighting over him with his girlfriend on some petty shit.

Man folks acting an ass online. Let's air out that laundry about one another. I think I'm gonna stay in the nice comfy confines of the BCT.

And I'm not gonna blame the parents.....fully. Can they have intervened in their child's life..... Possibly?
But its time we face fact that this cat made a conscious choice to murder because life wasn't going his way. He is fully to blame for that, IMO.

Slayven

Man folks acting an ass online. Let's air out that laundry about one another. I think I'm gonna stay in the nice comfy confines of the BCT.

And I'm not gonna blame the parents.....fully. Can they have intervened in their child's life..... Possibly?
But its time we face fact that this cat made a conscious choice to murder because life wasn't going his way. He is fully to blame for that, IMO.

Yeah that whats get me mad, that the media works trying to take away personal responsibility.

He didn't spring forth from the womb fully formed. It seems like they gave him everything and when he went out into the real world and it smacked him hard.

I thought that as well at first but then I read the manifesto. The guy's ability to recollect events is astounding, and if you believe what he writes then it seems like his parents tried. He writes about every counsellor he talked to, and there were several.

He only really starts talking about the killings near the end when he is 21 and mostly living away from home. In any case, how much time do most people spend with their parents? Unless you are saying that letting him play WoW too much was the cause or letting him read Game of Thrones (he talks about flaying a lot) then I don't really see why a parent would expect that their awkward, lonely child would be a murderer or that the only way to stop it would be to deprive him when they grew up in opulence themselves.
The only thing they really had against him was the Youtube vids which they called the police about but by then he had already gotten the guns and made the plan. He claims that if the police had searched at that time they could have stopped him, but after that opportunity was missed what else could be done? I don't think a parent can force their 22 year old son into an insane asylum (do those even still exist?) and the police didn't think it was worth their effort to investigate properly. What else can you do but talk to the kid (which he claims his mother did)?

He claims that he listened to his sister's boyfriend bang her and get jealous because he was having sex and not him. He was obsessed and his obsession turned to hatred. Every and anyone around his age who was having sex was his enemy. He even plans to kill his little brother, who he claims is the only person who ever looked up to him, because he doesn't want him to ever have sex and surpass him.

Kreed

I just don't feel like society is holey to blame for this, I think the parents have the majority of the blame.

Yeah, at the end of the day, we know there are plenty of pathetic dudes that think like this guy online, but they don't go out killing people. While I do agree with Dr. Nerdlove that there is a problem with men thinking they are entitled to women/white male privilege/women being property that needs to be addressed, there was more to it than just being mad he was a virgin.

For example, the lesser talked about issue, look at his racist attitudes. Where did the Black/Asian hate come from? He was half asian himself. His mom/dad dropped the ball somewhere.

Slayven

Yeah, at the end of the day, we know there are plenty of pathetic dudes that think like this guy online, but they don't go out killing people. While I do agree with Dr. Nerdlove that there is a problem with men thinking they are entitled to women/white male privilege/women being property that needs to be addressed, there was more to it than just being mad he was a virgin.

For example, the lesser talked about issue, look at his racist attitudes. Where did the Black/Asian hate come from? He was half asian himself. His mom/dad dropped the ball somewhere.

That racist stuff didn't come out of nowhere.

His mom was Asian, his stepmother was Moroccan, his sister was dating a Mexican. His attitudes about race were purely about wanted to feel superior to everything else. He claims that once he found out there was a car hierarchy he wanted to get a better car than he had and move up so he could be better than everyone else. He calls himself divine, a living god, so he took all the traits he could see to make himself that. I don't think his parents have much to do with the fact that being rich and white is seen by society being better than being poor and black.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
It's hard for me to compare this situation 1 to 1 with gang banging simply because gang banging has a purpose. If this guy had robbed the victims or was doing the killings as a member of a gang, then I would 100% agree with what you're saying. It would be better to compare this to Christopher Dorner, or Aaron Alexis, or the woman who got gunned down outside the white house with her kid in the car. While these people were labeled as having mental illnesses, I would be surprised if the media didn't throw around the word "thug", "terrorist", or some other inappropriate terms.

In the case of this killer though, people just want a reason for it and for something to target. It's easy to understand robbery and gang retaliation as a motive vs a rich kid killing a bunch of women because "girls wouldn't have sex with him". Plus the media isn't using it as a way to excuse the kid's behavior like in a court of law vs the continuing narrative for more mental health evaluations/gun control in the US.

Yeah - but not every 'gang related' killing is gang related. It just happened on that side of town so it must be.

Kreed

His mom was Asian, his stepmother was Moroccan, his sister was dating a Mexican. His attitudes about race were purely about wanted to feel superior to everything else. He claims that once he found out there was a car hierarchy he wanted to get a better car than he had and move up so he could be better than everyone else. He calls himself divine, a living god, so he took all the traits he could see to make himself that. I don't think his parents have much to do with the fact that being rich and white is seen by society being better than being poor and black.

Ignoring the black hated for a moment, the Asian self hatred is a problem that to me shows he had no respect for his Asian nationality/heritage. One of his parental figures should have taught him respect for that and how to identify with being Asian, vs only wanting to identify with being white to the point where being white was superior and other Asian men were inferior to him. He should have never been able to detach himself that much if he had respect for his Asian side. Where were his other Asian family members (cousins, uncles, etc...)? Did he ever even see the Asian country his mother was from or was white America all that he knew?

Of course this is just one thing and ultimately may not be related to the tragedy, but it all adds up as to why this clown couldn't make friends/respected women, and I'm sure there were plenty of other issues growing up his parents didn't think were important that helped him grow up into a social misfit.

Yeah - but not every 'gang related' killing is gang related. It just happened on that side of town so it must be.

This is why it's hard to compare "Mr. Lonely" to the issues the black community goes through. There's just so many more levels to crime in the black community vs "girls don't like me".

Top Bottom