• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

Only when I'm intentionally trying to make people uncomfortable. Its the only use I have for it anymore.

pretty much this.

Especially in diverse, politically correct NC. Specifically Raleigh in my case.

Also I'm pretty much set on games for the time being with MK8, watchdogs, and BF 4. Haven't had this much fan gaming since my gamecube ps2 combo. Hope the best is yet to come.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
pretty much this.

Especially in diverse, politically correct NC. Specifically Raleigh in my case.

Also I'm pretty much set on games for the time being with MK8, watchdogs, and BF 4. Haven't had this much fan gaming since my gamecube ps2 combo. Hope the best is yet to come.

Had no idea you were from NC. (Why are you still there? lol)

Onemic

This may be an unpopular opinion but imo if you use the word around white people you have no right to ever be offended if a white person uses the word in the same contexts that you do.

Trey

This may be an unpopular opinion but imo if you use the word around white people you have no right to ever be offended if a white person uses the word in the same contexts that you do.

That's the thing: the context isn't the same when a white person says nigga relative to a black person sayingthe word.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
That's the thing: the context isn't the same when a white person says nigga relative to a black person sayingthe word.

Not even that.

Take JC on another site for example. He says nigga all the time. I don't know why or particularly care - but when someone else says it, its going to be an issue that I'm not going to feel like dealing with.

Enzom21

So if I call my girlfriend "honey" or some other term of endearment around other dudes, I shouldn't be offended if they call her "honey" as well?

Onemic

If you're constantly saying it around white people, you're pretty much encouraging them that it's ok for them to say it as well in similar situations, at least in my view. Not to mention that I'd have to imagine that it's awkward as fuck. I just don't think people should be reinforcing things they don't want other people to say.

So if I call my girlfriend "honey" or some other term of endearment around other dudes, I shouldn't be offended if they call her "honey" as well?

Do you call other dudes honey as well? I said if you say it around white people, not if you say it to other black people and a white person just happens to listen in.

Not even that.

Take JC on another site for example. He says nigga all the time. I don't know why or particularly care - but when someone else says it, its going to be an issue that I'm not going to feel like dealing with.

But you don't do it yourself, it's not really the same thing.

Thanks for the well-wishes yall. I'm going to the doctor sometime this week and see if I can't get a food allergy test.

And as far as I know I've never been allergic to shrimp (used to eat it all the time). Shellfish, I have no idea. But that's what the doctor's visit is gonna be for.

Enzom21

If you're constantly saying it around white people, you're pretty much encouraging them that it's ok for them to say it as well in similar situations, at least in my view. Not to mention that I'd have to imagine that it's awkward as fuck. I just don't think people should be reinforcing things they don't want other people to say.

Do you call other dudes honey as well? I said if you say it around white people, not if you say it to other black people and a white person just happens to listen in.

You wrote say it "around" not "to". So if I call my girlfriend honey around other dudes, am I encouraging them to call her honey as well?

Trey

People aren't parrots - they understand context. If you hang out with people who have been friends for a long while, they'll probably have insults or in-jokes they throw at each other jokingly that just wouldn't sound the same coming from you.

People want to make the word nigga/nigger itself the entity with all the racial baggage on it, but it's the contexts those words find themselves in which is the real culprit. This is just me, but most of the time if a white person is using the word, they're up to no good. Trying to be slick at least.

Onemic

You wrote say it "around" not "to". So if I call my girlfriend honey around other dudes, am I encouraging them to call her honey as well?

Enzo pls, don't use the same shit in those threads to me, it wont work

People want to make the word nigga/nigger itself the entity with all the racial baggage on it, but it's the contexts those words find themselves in which is the real culprit. This is just me, but most of the time if a white person is using the word, they're up to no good. Trying to be slick at least.

I agree, but that's why I pretty much never use it within an audience of non black people, if at all. If you're a person that uses it around other people, regardless of who they might be and then get offended when a non black person used the word in the same context you did, I consider you person to be part of the problem. (when saying 'you' I dont mean you btw)

Enzom21

Enzo pls, don't use the same shit in those threads to me, it wont work

I agree, but that's why I pretty much never use it within an audience of non black people, if at all. If you're a person that uses it around other people, regardless of who they might be and then get offended when a non black person used the word in the same context you did, I consider you person to be part of the problem. (when saying 'you' I dont mean you btw)

I am going by what you wrote. Your argument is usage of nigga around white people encourages them to use it and I simply disagree.
Now I agree that calling white people nigga may give them the false belief that it is okay for them to use it as well, but if you're with a group of friends and you only use it when speaking to other black people then I don't see the encouragement.

Slayven

When my nephew was 6 he use to run up to me, look both ways and whisper "Negga"(pronounced just like that). He didn't start saying that until he got it from school.

Meh. I don't care if they use it in the same contexts I do. Especially if they're friends.

EDIT: The main issue with the word is the historical context. People have used it for hate, and "nigga" is our way of reclaiming it. Black people can say it to one another because there's no suspicion of underlying hate and whatnot. The same goes for someone you're close to of another race. Plus, there are enough self-hating black people that you could be suspicious of their usage of the world as well. But I digress.

Onemic

I am going by what you wrote. Your argument is usage of nigga around white people encourages them to use it and I simply disagree.
Now I agree that calling white people nigga may give them the false belief that it is okay for them to use it as well, but if you're with a group of friends and you only use it when speaking to other black people then I don't see the encouragement.

I already said that's what I meant, but you kept pushing your own meaning onto my post.

Kreed

Do you guys say it around white people?

I don't use the word outside of singing along to rap lyrics/quoting black comedians and none of my friends/family use it around me excluding that same context (they do use the word/I've seen them use it on social media, but in my presence they don't say it since I don't say it).

I did have to check a latino friend once about using the word around me, who thought I was bothered because of his skin tone which was followed by a big explanation about why it's cool for latinos to say it vs me not wanting the word used around me period.

Village

I'm mad , I bought PC AE yesterday, I found out capcom released an update that made a shit ton of mods not work.

I wanted my sick ass Terry bogard ken.

Top Bottom