• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

Don't take this the wrong way, but shit like that makes me wish for Black Friend Awareness seminars. I mean, I don't get offended by a lot of things at the base level. It's almost always the callousness and blatant disregard that follows behind it that turns things into something much larger. So people passively cosigning inevitably leading into exactly what you see there and ...Yeah.
indeed. gotta keep people in check even if you're not personally offended.

Do you guys say it around white people?
i don't say it period. i don't curse. at all.

The rare HBCU is one that isn't full of struggle.

I can agree with the bolded. Definitely. But I'm not about to pretend that living in condemned buildings is what's hot these days. Going to HBCUs means that you'll have a struggle story to tell. Being the best in your class is largely a road without competition because half of the class doesn't give a fuck and is there because that school let them in just to get paid and the other half is getting pimped out to every organization in the city that needs a well spoken black friend to help push it's pushables.

ehh...I dunno. Used to believe that. I went to Howard in the early to mid 90's, and I assumed that the University just left the admission floodgates open wide for some quick cash. This was at the height of the black entertainment renaissance, so the radio/TV/Film programs were incredibly popular. Looking back on it though, and the easy money kids fell off very quickly.

Now, with about twenty years of perspective, the people that weren't extraordinary students seem to be doing fine. Living in squalor is never the business, but at least at Howard, they cleaned up after I left. Still, all the years of learning in-class skills and street smarts (surviving DC in the 90's and making it from your campus to your apartment was a BIG accomplishment), toughened me up in MANY ways. I'd have died in Los Angeles without the experience of college, figuratively and literally.

Controversial opinion - I think that struggle housing builds character. Sure, with all of the money that you're paying, it's not an enviable situation, but it's certainly a valuable one.
Again, I'm probably looking back with rose-colored burberry shades.

Also, wanted to get one other point across: choosing the right HBCU and the right program is a BIG deal. Not all are created equal, and I'd def do undergrad at an HBCU but choose a different experience for grad.

One of my line brothers transferred from Howard to join us at Michigan. All he could talk about his how much of a joke their Engineering program was. Hopefully the other programs are strong.

iC4AROgKFI3BR.gif

Yooooooo

So BCT on Ultra on PS3 let's get a list started.
I need revenge for getting my ass handed to me a certain fellow brother who uses Dudley......

Add me on PSN same as my screename.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
whats the deal with Churches nasty ass spicy chicken tender

gata you fuckin lied

Its one of my favorite places, but ive never had their spicy chicken. I dont think ive had spicy chicken(outside of kfc hot wings) at any of the fast food chicken joints

Lol that's real. I'm from SC. Benedict is the ultimate struggle school. I would never go there, but I'm not one of those people who hopes schools stay shitty. Hopefully it improves-it serves a purpose for somebody out there.

I'm way late to this but a fellow Carolinian "we outchea"....Talking bout Benedict and Allen.... A buddy of mine told me once when I moved to Charlotte "it's a well known fact that you can determine a HBCU's level of struggle based on the proximity of a Churches chicken". Think about it. Churches is right off Elmwood pretty much smack dab in the middle of both Benedict and Allen. There's one a little ways down from JC.Smith in Charlotte the list goes on. A&T in Greensboro.

Just wanted to put that out there in regards to this HBCU and churches talk.

harSon

Banned
Man... these apartment price in and around San Jose should be criminal. For $1,400 you're lucky to get a studio in a sketchy part of town

Furyous

You be up in there like this eating a biscuit.
Kenbunshoku_Haki_Infobox.gif

Where's that gif from?

Summer Jam is going on technical problems be damned.

Thus far Troy Ave put Trinidad on the summer jam screen while wearing a pink shirt calling other people weirdos.

50 and Nas would've wrecked shit in 2007.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I said 'other site' one time and I got haters coming at me through GAF's facebook page
i0OZchNd6egTc.png

Slayven

Where's that gif from?

Summer Jam is going on technical problems be damned.

Thus far Troy Ave put Trinidad on the summer jam screen while wearing a pink shirt calling other people weirdos.

50 and Nas would've wrecked shit in 2007.

One Piece, the fishman villiage arc

BHZ Mayor

Somebody needs to sue Sallie Mae into o-fucking-blivion. Tell me why I logged into their website to pay my loans and these assholes are trying to tell me my shit is past due. My bills are due on the first of each month. Last time I checked, it's still June the motherfucking first. So they can kiss my ass. I went ahead and put in for my base bill amount and I will be calling them first thing in the morning to tell them that they can kiss the blackest part of my light skinned ass and they better not try to report this shit to the credit bureaus as late. I've been trying to recover my shit from the gotdamn brink and I don't have time for these glorified scam artists to be playing games.

Furyous

Somebody needs to sue Sallie Mae into o-fucking-blivion. Tell me why I logged into their website to pay my loans and these assholes are trying to tell me my shit is past due. My bills are due on the first of each month. Last time I checked, it's still June the motherfucking first. So they can kiss my ass. I went ahead and put in for my base bill amount and I will be calling them first thing in the morning to tell them that they can kiss the blackest part of my light skinned ass and they better not try to report this shit to the credit bureaus as late. I've been trying to recover my shit from the gotdamn brink and I don't have time for these glorified scam artists to be playing games.

I been sent Sallie Mae two cheeks to kiss. Fuck em. I'm going to be in school forever.
Seriously, if you take classes at least part time and make payments then you'll pay off your loans quicker. Basically, the payments go to the principal instead of standard payments going to interest. Even then there's income contingent plans which allow you to pay what you can monthly.
Student loan debt hit a trillion so clearly I'm not the only dude saying fuck this loan repayment shit.

RedSwirl

I'm guessing the current discussion is over the future of HBCU's getting funding? I remember my dad suggesting I go to one to give me "culture," like he was surprised what would happen after raising two black sons in a military family.

And a sick part of me wants to see Sally Mae be the start of some new domino effect debt bomb that hits the economy, just see how it affects higher education in this country going forward.

KumaJG

Job searching so annoying and depressing lol. Yo what a good place to live? I am trying move out of Massachusetts in the next 3-5 years.

Village

I don't watch that show because its aesthetic doesn't do anything for me.

But I assume whoever Rei is talking about didn't use trickster.

Top Bottom