• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
some people rather talk about video games than play them.

when you're working, that's all you can do! I put in a good 9 hours of video game talk then play for 1 or 2 at night if I'm fortunate. And I gotta watch wrasslin too? Damn.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
when you're working, that's all you can do! I put in a good 9 hours of video game talk then play for 1 or 2 at night if I'm fortunate. And I gotta watch wrasslin too? Damn.

Word to this. lol. Only reason I'm posting this much, is because I'm between projects.

Miss us with that only talk nonsense. lol

Problem is videogames are a front loaded business and while you might argue that Halo fans left Halo 4 quickly. The sad fact is that like a gaggle of sex deprived albino silverback apes; Halo fans snatched up Halo 4 upon launch like it was pussy in a can.

Eh it has a great base game but lots of people didn't realize the main show was going to be CoD gameplay and a campaign that's just fighting annoying/reappearing anime inspired drones.

And I gotta watch wrasslin too?.

image.php

Trey

Don't forget this is the same industry where Sony received heaps of praise for their console being the same as it's always been, now with an added multiplayer paywall.

They get credit for their indie courtship and pulling a fast one with the RAM. The design of their console is really good by most accounts, so kudos.

But charging for multiplayer and people not only take it, but blame MS for Sony choosing to add the paywall is ridiculous.

Sony had two gens of online play without charging.. and in that last gen their main competitor not only charged for online play and it's players were not only fine with it, but that competitor also led in units sold in NA (one of if not the biggest market) for most of that gen.

If you don't think MS success with Live influenced Sony's decision to go paid, then you're blatantly turning a blind eye. This is the same industry that, when Nintendo revealed Motion Controls at E3, the other two rushed out demos of prototype motion controls of their own at the same conference. Following suit of your competitor is par for the course.

J10

Banned
Sony had two gens of online play without charging.. and in that last gen their main competitor not only charged for online play and it's players were not only fine with it, but that competitor also led in units sold in NA (one of if not the biggest market) for most of that gen.

If you don't think MS success with Live influenced Sony's decision to go paid, then you're blatantly turning a blind eye. This is the same industry that, when Nintendo revealed Motion Controls at E3, the other two rushed out demos of prototype motion controls of their own at the same conference. Following suit of your competitor is par for the course.

It's not the charging that matters, but the quality of service they're charging for. Is PSN on par with Xbox Live at this point? For some time (while it was free), it wasn't. Usually, you get what you pay for.

BlackJace

Yeah, the praising for Sony not implementing DRM was quite odd in retrospect. Like, that kind of shit is expected. As a customer of theirs, I should damn well expect them not to pull those kind of stunts.

And I have no idea why Sony was so smug about it either

"Yeeeeeah we COULD'VE screwed all y'all over, but nah we ain't because we're For the Players

And what's even more hilarious is how quickly they got the fans to defend the paywall, getting them to recite how PS+ makes up for them because of "THE FREE GAMES GUYS*"

*$59.99 per year. Games will not be available after subscription has expired.

Trey

I don't think anyone will say that Sony wasn't influenced by MS. The issue I have is that they will absolve Sony of making an anti consumer choice on their own system and instead blame Microsoft for proving there is value in charging for multiplayer.

But will give Sony full kudos for all the good things PS4 took from the 360. People are very transparent, on both "sides".

Edit: What Slayven said.

It's not the charging that matters, but the quality of service they're charging for. Is PSN on par with Xbox Live at this point? For some time (while it was free), it wasn't. Usually, you get what you pay for.

I don't have a PS4, so I couldn't say if the quality has improved (though I'd argue the quality on PS3 isn't bad, it just has a couple less convenient features). When we get down to the discussion of whether or not there's value in paying for each service.. you're gonna start getting into peoples preferences and all that, which is the argument that people are making for GZ.

I wouldn't sit here and try to tell someone whether or not their Gold or PSN fees are a good value because different people use and enjoy those services differently. Same thing with GZ.

Anecdotal but I bought South Park: Stick of Truth for full price on Steam. Lots of people think the game is great but not worth 60 bucks. I had and have no problem paying the full price. Nobody is wrong, it's just preference.

Problem is people start believing companies are their friends.

This so much, cats talking about being XBox loyalists but want to get a Vita…monica wut?

I'm serious. It has the best feel of any Halo but it just has mountains of shit on top.

I can agree with that.

Also I'm just going to say this, don't get smartwatches if you want to get laid. That shit is girlboner cancer.

I'm going to get a smartwatch and report back my results.

Somebody going to die on a hill.

I'm probably going that hammer depending on how some cats try to argue.

Gorillaz

Idk if PSN is worth the price of admission this time around but it definitely wasn't last gen. If they improved the infrastructure while keeping up the discounted/"free" game service then maybe it is worth it.

You can sell anything to the mass if you can prove it as a benefit.The problem with MS selling DRM was they never proved why people should invest in it. It was just "well we know what's good for you so just do it." Where as people can easily eat the psn plus paywall because of its "offering".

There are levels to this shit

god damn I knew I should have thought over my career choice and went to socialogy, even if its a shitty job outlook

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
PSN got a heck of a lot more value once they added Vita stuff to it, but that assumes you have a Vita, all that.

I feel like dumping my Vita, after I get some FFX HD in it's pretty much all over for that nice little handheld. Not much future.

I'd rather spend money on PSN than XBL at this point. Still cracks me up people defend the fact they have to have a gold account just to use Netflix, Hulu and other shit that's free everywhere else (with the appropriate subscription fee to that particular service).

Problem is people start believing companies are their friends.

This definitely happens but it's only a problem once the entity starts having a bad ROI. I state it that way because people do that with everything. Companies, food, clothing styles, sports teams, etc... I'm no psychologist but I'd assume it's human nature.

I don't think anyone will say that Sony wasn't influenced by MS. The issue I have is that they will absolve Sony of making an anti consumer choice on their own system and instead blame Microsoft for proving there is value in charging for multiplayer.

But will give Sony full kudos for all the good things PS4 took from the 360. People are very transparent, on both "sides".

Edit: What Slayven said.

I wouldn't say charging for online service goes so far as to be Anti-consumer. I also look at the reception to No DRM being more about celebrating that fact that Sony had the opportunity to force gamers into a rock/hard place situation and they didn't do it (on THAT issue at least). That was the big issue so it got the most attention. The reality with Sony going paid online now though is that Sony DID put gamers in a rock/hard place situation on that one and with no console option for free MP, it's harder for those players to speak with their wallets. So they bite the bullet.

Nobody likes being reminded that they're conceding their beliefs and most people would be hard pressed to admit it when they do.

J10

Banned
Idk if PSN is worth the price of admission this time around but it definitely wasn't last gen. If they improved the infrastructure while keeping up the discounted/"free" game service then maybe it is worth it.

You can sell anything to the mass if you can prove it as a benefit.The problem with MS selling DRM was they never proved why people should invest in it. It was just "well we know what's good for you so just do it." Where as people can easily eat the psn plus paywall because of its "offering".

There are levels to this shit

god damn I knew I should have thought over my career choice and went to socialogy, even if its a shitty job outlook

Infrastructure is the thing. You gotta pay people to build it, then you gotta pay people to maintain it. It's not insane to expect any company to wanna recoup on that. I agree that patting Sony on the back for merely playing catch up while Microsoft played fall back is silly.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Oh damn this nonsense is here too.

Measuring entertainment by such rigid metrics is bound to make you unhappy.

Like damn do you count the pages of a book before you buy it too? Or look at the length of a movie before you buy a ticket?

Or do you just read and watch what interests you?

Do I wonder why this 100 page book is 15 bucks and this giant tome is only 10? You're damn right I do. Movie ticket prices are far more standardized than game prices, but I'll be damned if I pay the same amount for a single movie on Blu-Ray as I pay for the LOTR Trilogy.

You wouldn't pay more for a season set of a TV show than you would for a single movie? I mean I'm pretty sure Avatar cost more to make than a season of Breaking Bad.

tl;dr you're damn right I look at how much content I'm getting before I buy it.

Slayven

Do I wonder why this 100 page book is 15 bucks and this giant tome is only 10? You're damn right I do. Movie ticket prices are far more standardized than game prices, but I'll be damned if I pay the same amount for a single movie on Blu-Ray as I pay for the LOTR Trilogy.

You wouldn't pay more for a season set of a TV show than you would for a single movie? I mean I'm pretty sure Avatar cost more to make than a season of Breaking Bad.

tl;dr you're damn right I look at how much content I'm getting before I buy it.

Shiiiiiiiiittt, you remember when they started dropping shows on DVD? X-files 150 bucks PER season. Random episodes on a 30 dollar disc. And lets not even talk about anime dvds.

My rule of thumb is I will pay one dollar per hour of gameplay I think i can get out of a game.

RedSwirl

Yeah, the praising for Sony not implementing DRM was quite odd in retrospect. Like, that kind of shit is expected. As a customer of theirs, I should damn well expect them not to pull those kind of stunts.

And I have no idea why Sony was so smug about it either

"Yeeeeeah we COULD'VE screwed all y'all over, but nah we ain't because we're For the Players

And what's even more hilarious is how quickly they got the fans to defend the paywall, getting them to recite how PS+ makes up for them because of "THE FREE GAMES GUYS*"

*$59.99 per year. Games will not be available after subscription has expired.

Man I loved it when Sony snuck in the paywall announcement as everyone was cheering the company's name. Just look at this motherfucker.

Anyway, I still think Gold's value proposition is fucked up in comparison when they put media services (that are available on every other device) and Internet Explorer behind the paywall. I've never believed the "you get what you pay for" held water either. It only makes sense when you look at console online infrastructure in a vacuum. People could claim that shit because other consoles didn't have basic features like a good patching infrastructure, parties, party chat, and other basic things. All you gotta do is look outside console games to find that shit everywhere without a paywall. Steam is probably more feature-rich than Gold with no subscription.

I'm just done viewing online gaming infrastructure as a consumer-side cost. I'll probably begrudgingly get a PS4 and PS+ when Soul Calibur 6 or something comes out.

J10

Banned
My rule of thumb is I will pay one dollar per hour of gameplay I think i can get out of a game.

This makes sense to me.

Mirror's Edge was a 6 hour campaign. I played through it 4 times precisely because it was so lean and well made, and did all the time trials, and I really enjoyed it.

Red Dead Redemption was a 30 hour campaign and I played through it once and enjoyed it, but because it was so long I was ready to never play it again. By the time I was done I felt like I had exhausted everything there was to do.

The ratio of content to dollars doesn't matter as much as funtime to dollars, but it matters. For the amount of time I spent playing Halo 1-Reach and the amount of content they provided, maybe I should have payed thousands.

Imm0rt4l

Well you are the Kojima stan of the thread.

( ._.)

I wouldn't have bought it if I hadn't kept seeing that damn ground zeroes spoiler thread pop up. I was thinking that shit was gonna get real, and that the ending to it would truly be shocking. There's really nothing surprising that we haven't already seen in the trailers. I'm glad I aint pay 30 bones for this. I shouldn't have bought it at all and waited for for phantom pain to drop. The game is really fun though.

KumaJG

Man I loved it when Sony snuck in the paywall announcement as everyone was cheering the company's name. Just look at this motherfucker.

Anyway, I still think Gold's value proposition is fucked up in comparison when they put media services (that are available on every other device) and Internet Explorer behind the paywall. I've never believed the "you get what you pay for" held water either. It only makes sense when you look at console online infrastructure in a vacuum. People could claim that shit because other consoles didn't have basic features like a good patching infrastructure, parties, party chat, and other basic things. All you gotta do is look outside console games to find that shit everywhere without a paywall. Steam is probably more feature-rich than Gold with no subscription.

I'm just done viewing online gaming infrastructure as a consumer-side cost. I'll probably begrudgingly get a PS4 and PS+ when Soul Calibur 6 or something comes out.

Dont MS have features behind a paywall as well? People need to draw a line with these companies.

FyreWulff

Steam is probably more feature-rich than Gold with no subscription.

Let's be honest though, Steam gets away with not having to charge a subscription because they make more money per-person selling fucking trading card .jpgs on the Steam Market than they would if Steam just cost 10$/month to play multiplayer on Valve-hosted servers.

Shiiiiiiiiittt, you remember when they started dropping shows on DVD? X-files 150 bucks PER season. Random episodes on a 30 dollar disc. And lets not even talk about anime dvds.

Starburst edition of Farscape was pushing damn near 200 a pop for seasons. Thank god we passed that era. I can get behind the dollar an hour.

I bought Strider remake for 15 bucks and in all honesty I'm not gonna play it again but it was worth it. Yet I wasted 49 on FF14. I should have known better. I don't play MMOs.
Am I a sucker for buying Ground Zeroes
No. You can at least tell us if you feel its worth it. Me personally I'm not.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It's reasonable that people would expect both a certain quantity and a certain quality from a product if they're being asked to part with their money. It's not one or the other.

I'm not saying it is.

My problem isn't with the value proposition itself. but the metric.

Like people aren't talking about quality or content. Just having someone report the absolute bare minimum clear time and acting like that's a good metric to judge a game by.

By that logic you wouldn't even play certain genres of games. I mean why play any MGS? They can be beaten in under 3 hours if you skip cutscenes. Just stick to Skyrim where it takes you three hours just to run anywhere. Much better value!

so you would drop $11.95 on an amazing 1/2 page hardcover short story?

Depends on what's on the pages. I don't buy books to occupy a fixed amount of my time and I don't think of myself as paying for paper when I buy them. Same with games

Life's too fucking short

It's not all nonsense. Yes, at the end of the day, entertainment value is consumer defined. Hell, value itself is. People see the value in 300 shoes and others don't. I've spent ridiculous sums of money are parties and people thought I was wildin. That's fair to them.

Why is it such a jump to believe that people wouldn't be cool with the price, when during PS2 era, it would have been free or packaged with a FULL game? This same gen, other companies have done the same, for less.

because of the definition of full game being "8-10 hours". Which wasn't even a thing in the PS2 era. or the cartridge era where games were even more expensive than they are now

Like hey if people were talking about the actual content of the game and deciding it wasn't worth the 20 dollar price that's a conversation worth having.

but nah we're getting outraged because someone on the internet ran straight through it in 30 minutes. No one asks any questions about thee quality of such a playthrough.(how many times was he spotted? How many times did he die? How many events did he skip? Was it real time or game clock time?)

They just see a number and flip shit

and personally I just don't respect that opinion at all. If that's how you think of games I just don't value your input on them

The better comparison would be, are you okay with buying a movie with One scene and some bonus shit, at full price, with the promise of the rest of the film later? Might be the greatest scene ever, but I'm not buying the 30 dollar version of it. I'll wait for the rest. *shrugs*

Difference is games are interactive so it's not like that at all. Unlike a movie or a book you can miss content on your way to the end. Hell some games don't even present all of their content on the initial play

So I think it's necessary to recognize that when assessing the content of a package. You can't do that with arbitrary hour counts. It's probably the dumbest possible way to measure game content.

Top Bottom