• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

Kreed

Then maybe it's the term grits.

It's also a Southern thing. My first time in NY on a family trip, my father tried ordering grits during breakfast and the chefs brought out a box of instant grits mix they had lying around in the back which was a no go. Same with sweat tea, you order that you're getting either something from a can or tea you can stir sugar in yourself.

Funny enough, but South Florida tends to work the same way despite being in the South and the most southern part of the US, but it depends on where you go.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Kill la Kill was not that good and that finale, outside of one scene, was just more of the same lazy/bad animation that plagued the whole show. It was entertaining, but man... The show just wasn't that good. Anyone who says it's on the same level as Gurren Lagann is a clown too. Terrible pacing, downright boring at times, characters generally just sucked or wasted space, absurd cheese.

Could've been great. Should've been better than it was.

Crocodile

Growing up in Nigeria, we ate something called fufu. However, we use cassava to prepare that as opposed to cornmeal.

I can't remember the last time I interacted with or came across a human being that I wasn't related to who knew of and/or has eaten Fufu or Cassava. I think I'm going to like it in here.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
I can't remember the last time I interacted with or came across a human being that I wasn't related to who knew of and/or has eaten Fufu or Cassava. I think I'm going to like it in here.

Haha! Fufu, eba, ogbono soup, jollof rice. Man, whatever anyone says about Nigerians/ West Africans, we have some damn good food!

BHZ Mayor

Yeah KLK last episode was a bit underwhelming, but at least
none of the good guys died
, so I'm cool.

Also, dat
Super Saiyan

Kill la Kill was not that good and that finale, outside of one scene, was just more of the same lazy/bad animation that plagued the whole show. It was entertaining, but man... The show just wasn't that good. Anyone who says it's on the same level as Gurren Lagann is a clown too. Terrible pacing, downright boring at times, characters generally just sucked or wasted space, absurd cheese.

Clothes are clothes! People are people!

DY_nasty

Also, I took animegaf's recommendations about Space Battleship Yamato and it is absolutely deserving of all the praise it gets.

Trey

I haven't had grits since I was a wee young lad. Always had to put sugar in them.

I was watching Today Show and they were talking about bugs in spring time and it just reminded me of how much shit you have to "watch out for." No wonder America is so on edge, we are conditioned to live on the precipice.

Cried 3 times on the last episode.

Straight man tear waterfall.

moreno-crying-gif.gif

Silky

Banned

I think KLK is a bit better than GL, but that's because I hit the GL train loooooong after the show was a thing, and honestly GL is about the same quality/story wise as KLK. I think what edges KLK over GL for me is that KLK has a better cast. (whereas GL has a much better ensemble of villains.)

I dunno, they're completely different for me lol. but like most Trigger shows I won't really go back and watch them. maybe like a couple of episodes.

Gorillaz

We tried to have a discussion about how the media influences hair styles but Slay wouldn't shut the fuck up about comics. So we just said fuck it.
Lmao

@new dude Overall, we talk about day to day stuff but if you want to talk about anything pertaining to black community or whatever, we can

this needs to be a thing let me prepare my C.V.,

there better be KFC in the cafeteria

Everything but Churchs Chicken

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I like Ragyo more than the main villains in GL. Satsuki and her four Divas were awesome too. That's where my praise stops. There was no weight to anything unless Satsuki and her crew were involved.

DY_nasty

I like Ragyo more than the main villains in GL. Satsuki and her four Divas were awesome too. That's where my praise stops. There was no weight to anything unless Satsuki and her crew were involved.
Part of that is because her theme song was boss as fuck. If you don't set that as your alarm clock in the morning you lost.

ReiGun

I guess KlK and TTGL were made by the same people? I see them getting compared a lot.

I think what TTGL had going for it over KlK was not only pacing, fight choreography/animation, and characterization, but clarity. KlK got too muddled in its clothing metaphor (compare to TTGL's drill motif, which was clear from start to finish), its characters never really developed, and it struggled to establish stakes due to it's haphazard pacing. Simon was a much better lead than Ryuko with a more developed sense of purpose and a story with more natural progression.

Not to say KlK was terrible; I'd have dropped it if it was. It had its moments and it did start really strong. Ragyo was a contender for Dio-tier villain for a minute. It was entertaining when it wanted to be. But overall, it was a disappointment.

Haha! Fufu, eba, ogbono soup, jollof rice. Man, whatever anyone says about Nigerians/ West Africans, we have some damn good food!

Best part about moving back home from the US. Getting to enjoy home cooking instead of once in a blue moon. Just need to deal with the shit internet

Oh and add me to the never eaten grits crew.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Replaying FFX for the first time since I was a young adult (30s now) and Auron's far less cool than I remembered. Just a dick who doesn't say shit that needs to be said. That causes problems.

Spinluck

my man.

there was actually a thread on here not too long ago that absolutely shitted on GL.

which is weird because i remembered most of GAF enjoying that ride lol.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
gl is overhyped. its pretty good. but i might actually get violent with the " do the impossible, break the unbreakable" crowd. not as bad as eva and its ilk that is overhyped and mediocre

Top Bottom