• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.
1fhPM1F.jpg

Jado

Banned
The sad part is all the old dudes that are being tossed around. Young black actors really are that rare.

I wouldn't "mind" since he isn't Will Smith, Denzel, Elba, Wesley, aka one of the "I don't know shit about black actors" responses, but I prefer young blood. Hollywood gives new young actors who aren't black super huge roles all the time (Hawkeye). It's about time black actors get the same chance.

Reminded of this:

And stuff like this:

The same aging black stars having to share space with an endless parade of new and mostly untalented white boys.

GAF: "I don't see the big deal." "Doesn't bother me"

"I don't see the big deal with an all-white cast here. Doesn't bother me when I see a movie that's majority-black."

^A version of this comes up at least a few times in every thread lamenting the lack of minority protagonists in video games. e.g. "I'm not bothered by the extremely few times I have to play as a woman or a black person, even though I'm ignoring that my perception has been altered by the fact that I can fall back on the hundreds of games starring people like me." I think it's one of the strongest everyday examples of white male privilege and being blinded by it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If anyone here is in the Bone Brotherhood I have a Destiny code for you, ping-a-ling me.

EDIT: Code's gone

Ain't no one fuckin with the Xbox One Vince. Tell MS to make the UI faster and more fluid. Shit moves like a quadraphonic trying to compete in a triathlon. I'd rather play Destiny on PS3 than get an Xbox One.

The first line basically serve as a stepping stone.

D1velL0.png

Ql16UIG.png

9MP85cB.png

T4TPS4K.png

A4zloCx.png

cxi3U1Z.png

Honestly sums up how I felt when I read that article. Even when it's not about black people, we're still used as the bottom/worst in comparisons. I just can't.

Crucibles still unbalanced but it feels so /good/ to play

The class based abilities need to be turned off or there needs to be a way to block them.

Like if a Titan tries his stomp shit but you melee them before they hit the ground their attack fails, that plus a reduced area of effectiveness would be nice.

Gorillaz

Crucible is going to be fucking dangerous when more people roll in teams. We literally got worked by a team of shotgunners/pusle riflers with titan abilities.

strobogo

Banned
Why? Theyve been sitting on wade for years while saying wakanda is too difficult to do. I want this movie made before someone changes their mind.

That's the dumbest shit after they did god damn Thor and Asgard. Twice. Or just Avengers alone. It's as much green screen as the Star Wars prequels. Not a problem.

Mortemis

Banned
^I ran straight to my ps3 and haven't stopped playing yet.

Another post that goes straight to the "no one needed to know" bucket. GAF needs to stop with this shit.

I'm sweating just thinking about a team of titans all getting their stomp ability at the same damn time.

God that'd be scary yet awesome.

Where are people getting all this legendary gear from. The iron banner event? I want that legendary hunter cloak.

andthebeatgoeson

it was a default color in S Note.
Ignore me, I'm salty. Went thru my life up until 23 thinking a certain way. Then I met cats that was like, 'yeah, we got drunk in high school and we hooked up'. Them I found out the diversity of the phrase 'hooking up' and just felt like I was playing the wrong game. Shit, I was in the wrong arcade. I wanted to go back and ask to play another game. Wasting my time with frigid broads with no religion.

ReiGun

So did I miss the boat on this Destiny shizz? Not really my type of game, but all y'all talking about it has me curious.

That's the dumbest shit after they did god damn Thor and Asgard. Twice. Or just Avengers alone. It's as much green screen as the Star Wars prequels. Not a problem.

They said Wakanda was too hard the same weekend they announced Guardians of the Galaxy. Apparently, negroes in Africa using computers requires more thought and skill than space raccoons.

Kraftwerk

Saw this over at reddit.

Black People of the U.K., what are your views on culture and black people in the U.S.A.?

Black female. I was born in London and now live in the US. (spent a good amount of years in the Caribbean in between though, so bear with me).
I didn't feel nearly as much racial tension in the UK as I have in the US. It's definitely not been overt, but I do feel people are much much more apt to tip toe around racial issues here than in the UK which for me is a sign of unease. And unease doesn't usually signal acceptance.

A lot of white people in the US seem terrified to say the wrong thing. In the UK more people talked openly about it if on the rare occasion it came up.
I noticed that in England, if you're British you're British and you happen to be black. In the US there's "African American" and "Asian American" but no one calls white people "European Americans" so that was a confusing one for me.

In general interracial couples aren't something unusual. There's tons of books and TV shows where a black female might be the major love interest. Even in the opening ceremony for the Olympics in London it featured a black teen couple in the sort of "play" they put on. I was watching it with some black American friends, and they thought that was commendable. It was difficult to explain why it wasn't some huge cultural achievement.

And of course, most black people in England are immigrants from common wealth countries like in the Caribbean so they already have strong cultural identity. I find more black Americans have a chip on their shoulder about race than other black people across the world I've encountered. Even being here for the past 5 years I'm much quicker to think someone is being prejudiced than just simply being an asshole.

All in all, I think England was privileged to not have to deal with slavery in their back yard. Even though they obviously participated in the slave trade and absentee planters owned plantations, they didn't have to deal with it directly. So I guess they don't have the same deep seated issues with race.

Edit to clarify a few FAQ:

My experience is from London, NYC/Philly

When I said "slavery" in that last part I was referring to Transatlantic African Slave Trade. Sorry for not specifying

All this is in my experience. I did not mean for any of this to be hard and fast truths

And when I said using "African Americans" vs. using "European Americans" I meant on like government forms[1] or on the news etc. I definitely agree people use the terms "Italian-American," "Irish-American" etc. but it just doesn't seem as prevalent in my experience. Note on the census "white" is used without further elaboration, whereas other ethnic groups are broken down more.

Still reading through all the answers and different perspectives.

huge amount of multiculturalism in uk tv from what i've seen. plenty of interracial couples. and when there's a brown person on a show they're not terrorists or caricatures. they're citizens!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom