• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Marvel ever does anything with the Punisher, they should hire ole dude in The Purge: Anarchy. He's was giving off Frank Castle vibes the entire film.

I don't really believe in guilty pleasures. You like what you like. The movie was hella flawed, and I still fuck with it. Seeing that many minorities on screen, in a horror movie, that didn't get killed, brought a tear to my eye.

Frank Grillo is dat dude. The Raid remake he's starring in will probably be lol, but I'm sure he's gonna work his ass off anyway

SmokyDave

Saw this over at reddit.

Still reading through all the answers and different perspectives.
Thanks man, that's some good reading.

Gotta say, so far I'm proud of my little island. Most of those comments echo the things I've heard first-hand from people over here.

That's not to say we're perfect though, far from it.

Edit: also, I dig that my city in particular (Nottingham) is getting some good rep.

Makeda

Read a bit about the UK/US differences when it comes to racism. In my experience, UK is better at putting on appearances.

Also they are painfully more racist to those from the middle east than any other group. Northern England is worse than the South.

At least in the States, shit was overt so i knew exactly where i stood with people.

As someone who grew up in London and spent pretty much all my life (minus the last three years there) I can attest to this pretty much to a tee.

In my experiences as a black male I've never really experienced full on racism first hand in the UK. I've gotten the whole stereotyping / racial profiling BS many times ("you are so well spoken" / "not like those other lot") because really, all black people must roll around with their trousers around their knees and a knife in their hand it seems :p

However, one thing that has been a constant (and is getting much, much worse) over there is the criminalisation of muslims / middle easterners and in your face racism towards people from that region.
Pretty much if you happen to look even remotely middle eastern and be muslim you're in for a whole heap of shit. From uncomfortable stares on public transport, to straight up assaults the further into rural England you go.

As sad (or as naive) as this sounds, Britain never really recovered on a racial level from the years of 9/11, the Iraq/Afghan invasion and of course the London bombings. These events along with two major tabloid newspapers in particular (The Sun & The Daily Mail) pretty much reinforced the ever growing voices of racist political parties like the British Nationalist Party that muslims and other immigrants shouldn't be allowed to live in the UK and they are attempting to impose their way of life amongst us....

TLDR? - This sums it up perfectly --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYd9qbRz2fc

On a lighter note I guess i should do the intro thing (if anyone reads these things anyways!)

Live: Hong Kong
Cultural heritage: In a nut shell...Caribbean, Scottish /w European heritage
Do you know your roots: More or less, yeah.
Favorite musical genre: Jazzy Hip-Hop & Metal if i had to choose.
Your religious affiliation: None
Hobbies: Besides videogames.... music, reading, football, football and some more football :D

SmokyDave

However, one thing that has been a constant (and is getting much, much worse) over there is the criminalisation of muslims / middle easterners and in your face racism towards people from that region.
Pretty much if you happen to look even remotely middle eastern and be muslim you're in for a whole heap of shit. From uncomfortable stares on public transport, to straight up assaults the further into rural England you go.

As sad (or as naive) as this sounds, Britain never really recovered on a racial level from the years of 9/11, the Iraq/Afghan invasion and of course the London bombings. These events along with two major tabloid newspapers in particular (The Sun & The Daily Mail) pretty much reinforced the ever growing voices of racist political parties like the British Nationalist Party that muslims and other immigrants shouldn't be allowed to live in the UK and they are attempting to impose their way of life amongst us....
Gotta say you're painting a pretty one sides picture there. Is it not fair to suggest that people such as Anjem Choudary and places such as Green Lane Mosque have done just as much to stoke tensions as anyone else?

This isn't really a subject I can enter into in depth, but it really isn't as simplistic as you're painting it. There is much more at play with this cultural clash than simple racism / xenophobia.

Makeda

Gotta say you're painting a pretty one sides picture there. Is it not fair to suggest that people such as Anjem Choudary and places such as Green Lane Mosque have done just as much to stoke tensions as anyone else?

This isn't really a subject I can enter into in depth, but it really isn't as simplistic as you're painting it. There is much more at play with this cultural clash than simple racism / xenophobia.

Sorry, don't get me wrong I do not think for one second that this is a simple case of all muslims minding their own business until other races get involved.
To be fair, there are people from both sides who are over stepping the mark and making the situation a lot worse. Perhaps in hindsight I should have made that clearer in my initial post.

SmokyDave

Sorry, don't get me wrong I do not think for one second that this is a simple case of all muslims minding their own business until other races get involved.
To be fair, there are people from both sides who are over stepping the mark and making the situation a lot worse. Perhaps in hindsight I should have made that clearer in my initial post.
Eh, it's no biggie and you're right that there has been a steep rise in racism-ass racism against anyone that looks like they've been near a Qur'an (I don't have any figures but I'd bet that Sikhs and Hindus get way more shit now than they did 15 years ago). It's just, as we say, kinda complicated. There are definite tensions between two groups, and members of both groups are happily fanning the flames for their own ends.

harSon

Banned

What does that have to do with anything though? Regardless of whether a select few, or even a significant percentage of Middle Eastern and/or Muslims are stroking the flames as you suggest, it doesn't change the fact that a blanketed treatment of all peoples within the group is the very definition of bigotry.

SmokyDave

What does that have to do with anything though? Regardless of whether a select few, or even a significant percentage of Middle Eastern and/or Muslims are stroking the flames as you suggest, it doesn't change the fact that a blanketed treatment of all peoples within the group is the very definition of bigotry.
I'm just saying that this particular brand of bigotry isn't as clean cut as 'goddamnit, they did 9/11!'. There are some very real integration issues at play that have much more to do with culture than they do colour.

This whole thing is kinda symmetrical. Change a few words in your post and it would be perfectly applicable to 'the other side', so to speak.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Its not that simple out there.

I mean, it is for some people that are already racist douchebags but there's more to it than that.

If you were describing our immigration issues, you couldn't sum it up with "some people just hate mexicans".

harSon

Banned

I mean, it is for some people that are already racist douchebags but there's more to it than that.

If you were describing our immigration issues, you couldn't sum it up with "some people just hate mexicans".

You mean ignorant people who are susceptible to bigotry, are being spoon fed bullshit by opportunistic politicians and public figures who're placing a target on a minority group in an attempt to divert attention away from worthwhile issues and blame from those who actually deserve it?

I'll admit I don't know the intricacies of the issue, but from the outside looking in, it looks eerily similar to the above phenomenon that we've seen again and again and again.

Infinite

I understand where DY is coming from though. We were talking about this the other day where the black struggle is always used as a baseline for another struggle. But you can't help but see some similarities between the Palestinian struggle and the south African one

Jado

Banned
I'm not sure I believe this.

Anyway, I thought about posting this article here, but decided to make a topic instead. It ought to be more widely viewed... though that clearly isn't happening . . . yet. Only a matter of time!

You need to learn how to be more inflammatory with your thread titles to reel them in.

Your boring title: Justice Department calls for federal monitor of Newark Police Department

Revised without being untrue:
Justice Dept demands oversight of racist Newark PD over rampant violations against blacks

Racist Newark Police to be monitored for discriminating against blacks

I think you could sum it up that way.

You need to learn how to be more inflammatory with your thread titles to reel them in.

Your boring title: Justice Department calls for federal monitor of Newark Police Department

Revised without being untrue:
Justice Dept demands oversight of racist Newark PD over rampant violations against blacks

Racist Newark Police to be monitored for discriminating against blacks

Just cut the fat and title it Police did some racist shit, will some sheltered white guys come in here and say they get ignored by cops too and blacks really just need to suck it up?

andthebeatgoeson

Just cut the fat and title it Police did some racist shit, will some sheltered white guys come in here and say they get ignored by cops too and blacks really just need to suck it up?

Haha.

Make sure you use the phrase 'The Blacks'. I don't want to get any humanizing stares.

I watched The Godfather twice last night. Once because it was on TV and a second time to spoil the ending for myself. When they get to the room talking about drugs and our people: I get legit pissed each time.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

No.

When you see groups trafficking drugs and people through and around a military installation without regard for anything there or in between, there's a problem.

Some of the shit on the border is outrageous. There does need to be something done. But its definitely not the stop and frisk shit that the GoP's idiots are pushing.

andthebeatgoeson

No.

When you see groups trafficking drugs and people through and around a military installation without regard for anything there or in between, there's a problem.

Some of the shit on the border is outrageous. There does need to be something done. But its definitely not the stop and frisk shit that the GoP's idiots are pushing.

Let alone the inherent disadvantage of other 'poors' from other countries. People from Haiti get no respect and no one cares about them. If you are Cuban, you'll have a whole city fighting for you. Something needs to be done on both ends. We need a better process to allow people in. And it can't just allow everyone in, to walk across. But because no one has an effective solution, the idiots reign supreme and I don't want to be caught anywhere near Palin or Rick Scott or Perry. Fuck those guys. Anything they say, I consider suspect.

Rick Scott says the sky is blue, I'm like, 'No it's not' just on GP.

RP912

Banned
The moment when your own clients can tell that you hate your job :/.

I swear it's like I'm not even myself anymore...like messing with this current position got me re-evaluating my own trade.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Funny enough the samething was done in America in the 30s and 40s over in NC to over 100k African American women. The lawsuit is STILL going on.

So is Israel like the new South Africa and nobody important wants to say it because of the terroism of Hamas?

Like if Hamas fell apart and non violent protest became the norm would the world impose sanction son Israel?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Why his name dré with an accent though. Isn't that like dree

QByI5X8.png

Infinite

So is Israel like the new South Africa and nobody important wants to say it because of the terroism of Hamas?

Like if Hamas fell apart and non violent protest became the norm would the world impose sanction son Israel?

The ANC was considered a terrorist organization up until 6 years ago

I see some folks on gaming side are still of the mind that both genders get equally as much shit in gaming or the internet.

Yeah, no.

Not to mention the ones that equate "lol you went for rockets bottom mid without timing spawns? get pooped on, scrub" to "I literally know where you live and I'll be mailing you small dead animals for a few years and raiding your cosmetics in your sleep."

Checked her sales for her albums, it's like she's B tier. Japan buys their albums and none of hers broke 500k. Most of them didn't even go above 100k. But she is eye candy when I watch J-Melo.

Dude in Japan 500k is a shitload that's 2x platinum. For an 'J-R&B' artist she does well (4 platinum albums and 2 gold albums); she'll never do AKB48 numbers; because she's considered and marketed as a J-R&B artist. As far as J-R&B sales go, she's selling on par/better as most of them.

Honestly the only J-R&B artist who can do AKB numbers is Utada. Not even Amuro does those numbers, her latest album has only gone platinum (388k). Alternatively you can look at the sales of her versus other half black artists like Thelma Aoyama (latest album only did like 18k). R&B in general is on the major decline in Japan; pop runs the world for a reason. Vivid did pretty bad though…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom