• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesus.
xWA0xXf.png

What's going on everybody? I've been lurking the thread for a while, figured I'd introduce myself and participate finally. They got me going through sexual harassment training for like the fourth time this month at work and I'm bored as hell.

Where you're from- las vegas
Where you live- north carolina
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy- mixed, Dominican and white
Do you know your roots- yeah, although I've never been back to the Dominican republic I've met a lot of my fresh off the boat relatives.
Your Age- 22
Favorite musical genre- not sure, I've been liking this new style of rnb though
Your profession/major/career interest- engineering
Your religious affiliation- none
Hobbies- magic (the card game), videogames, dirt bikes/ATVs

And I used to be a Popeye's guy. But I'm all about that bojangles after coming to north Carolina.

Slayven

What's going on everybody? I've been lurking the thread for a while, figured I'd introduce myself and participate finally. They got me going through sexual harassment training for like the fourth time this month at work and I'm bored as hell.

Do you know your roots- yeah, although I've never been back to the Dominican republic I've met a lot of my fresh off the boat relatives.
Your Age- 22

And I used to be a Popeye's guy. But I'm all about that bojangles after coming to north Carolina.

Welcome

Your Age- 22

Welcome....to both BCT and NC. There's no time like Bo time.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Your Age- 22

welkomme

What's going on at your job that you're going through 4 sexual harassment seminars a month?

Its a combination of it being the DoD and me being a new employee.

It seems excessive, but we had a guy raise his hand and say, "I don't get it" when we were talking about consent a few weeks ago.

Jado

Banned
I've never had alcohol.

I will drink rarely like if I must with coworkers, during the holidays or the rare occasion I feel like drinking, but it's not something I like to do regularly. No appeal for me like with people who unwind every evening, go out Thursday/Friday and finish weekends with alcohol.

I call this alcohol culture -- not much different than smokers, drug users and obese over-eaters. The only difference now is that unlike the other two, the alcohol-addicted act like their own nasty habit is awesome and others must partake in it. They then treat you like a weirdo when you're not into it like they are ("you need to live more")... as if it's a normal and healthy thing to do.

Please guys

either tell a story in plain english or don't

enough with these cryptic narrative posts

Cosigned. Some of the weird posting styles in here are more annoying than clever. No time to decypher shit.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
They then treat you like a weirdo when you're not into it like they are ("you need to live more")...

I'm very quick to stamp this shit out amongst friends and new people i meet. Like, you tell someone you don't drink (usually white) and they look at you like you are some alien.

Now ain't NOBODY had shit bad to say about Zoe Saldana's acting before.

And all of us black folk were QUICK to claim her when she started blowing up with Avatar and Star Trek. We all cheered for a new black chick doing the damn thing on the scene...

But let her get cast as Nina Simone? And all hell breaks loose.

Zoe Saldana has dark skin (well, not the darkest, but you get it). And, most importantly, she identifies as latina AND black. I literally do not see the problem here.

<Deuces>

I've never liked Zoe because she stole Thandie Newton's lane due to resembling her.

besada

Banned
Someone needs to make a thread about how amazing Good Times was. i was listening to Lear talk about it on NPR this morning.

Kraftwerk

Someone needs to make a thread about how amazing Good Times was. i was listening to Lear talk about it on NPR this morning.

Are mods not allowed to make threads? ;p

Just asking, since I have seen a few mods say that i.e "someone should make a thread....."

Jado

Banned
I'm very quick to stamp this shit out amongst friends and new people i meet. Like, you tell someone you don't drink (usually white) and they look at you like you are some alien.

I didn't wanna be an obvious asshole about it, but yes, by alcohol culture I meant the white culture expectations when it comes to drinking. The people I've met in professional/office settings... it's like they're always thinking about the next time they can get their fix: coworkers getting together for happy hour drinks, going out for a rooftop party to drink, beer garden, drinks during brunch, dinner party with drinks, friend's wedding with plenty to drink, Thursday drink, Friday drink, Saturday/Sunday drinks, meeting out of town buddies to drink, pre-gaming, bar hopping, clubbing, partying. I've mentally established that most people use sick days for hangovers, not actual illness.

And of course they're not really excessively drinking, no way they're alcoholics, no sir. Because so many of them are doing this and it's all highly acceptable among their social circles. Tell them you drink once a month (or less) and it's like WOW what do you even do with yourself, how do you have fun! Ugh.

Just asking, since I have seen a few mods say that i.e "someone should make a thread....."

Mods are a little feared (driving people away from posting) and tend to make dull, neutral threads (that generate little interest).

Cause black fathers are not in the home.
Maybe black guys are less respectful because they have an expectation of unfair treatment. It's unfortunate, but we may just have a self-sustaining feedback loop of misunderstanding.

A negro woulda has his house teargassed by SWAT in that story.

Man, what!?! I told him I was happy it ended well for him, then cussed him out for being so stupid and he just interrupted with, "but I'm white, tho."

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Just want to say, BCT has been on point the last couple of days. Entertaining as fuck, keep doing what you do.

besada

Banned

We can, but people are often afraid to post in our threads. Also, it looks bad when we ban jerks in our own threads, so most of us don't make them, Except Mumei, who makes enormous threads that no one posts in.

Slayven

We can, but people are often afraid to post in our threads. Also, it looks bad when we ban jerks in our own threads, so most of us don't make them, Except Mumei, who makes enormous threads that no one posts in.

Cause Mumei threads start with a syllabus.

Kraftwerk

It's a trap.

:0

Mods are a little feared (driving people away from posting) and tend to make dull, neutral threads (that generate little interest).

I see. That makes sense.

Just have Modbot make the thread....nobody will ever know which mod it was. At least not until Zeliard throws that mod under the bus.

besada

Banned
Also, my work is doing its yearly scan of web usage, so I'm on my iPad:) Maybe when I get home I'll do a big old Norman Lear thread.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I didn't wanna be an obvious asshole about it, but yes, by alcohol culture I meant the white culture expectations when it comes to drinking. The people I've met in professional/office settings... it's like they're always thinking about

Eh? We gonna act like black folks aren't just as guilty of those same expectations, when it comes to alcohol?

besada

Banned
So they only check web usage one day a year?
For a week. There's a yearly push to reduce bandwidth, so they go hunting for people, and my boss always warns us. They're mostly looking for streamers, but I'm not going to volunteer how much GAF time my work is paying for.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Also, my work is doing its yearly scan of web usage, so I'm on my iPad:) Maybe when I get home I'll do a big old Norman Lear thread.

A good way of staying under the radar is using something like TeamViewer or Logmein - that way at least all traffic is from one place. And you can go buck wild.

Jado

Banned
Eh? We gonna act like black folks aren't just as guilty of those same expectations, when it comes to alcohol?

I've had black and hispanic friends and family who do occasional (sometimes heavy) drinks and get wasted when they're out partying on weekends or whatever... but I now work in a mostly white NY firm and the alcohol-as-a-lifestyle obsession is like nothing else I've ever experienced. These are people who lament their weight and go on diets to cut out entire food groups, see good doctors and nutritionists about lifestyle changes, or do the religion thing where they give up all meat and and sweets for a month... but you mention cutting out alcohol and it's like you're asking them to sever a limb or two. Some drink during lunch or make it a reg habit to drink after work (for business or pleasure). There are bars everywhere (and every restaurant has a bar), so it's not like back in the old neighborhood at all. It's clear these people are doing a lot more drinking, making it an integral part of everyday life while simultaneously rejecting any notion they're alcoholics.

My coworker recently showed me a new app/service in the city that drops off an IV so that you can rehydrate, lose your hangover and get back out there to do more of whatever the hell you do. She showed me pics of her friends using it and it was just... bleah. I kept a straight face as she describe it as awesome and a great idea and something she would totally use. This to me epitomizes one of the fundamental differences of the white culture around me that I can't relate to.

Found it:

&#8216;I.V. Doctor&#8217; gives house-call flushes for hangovers
The Hamptons IV Doc is in: Physician offers drips for the hungover 1%
Drink up, New Yorkers &#8212; for a couple hundred dollars a doctor will deliver a hangover cure right to your front door.

The &#8220;miracle elixir&#8221; comes in the form of an IV drip chock-full of vitamins, minerals and medications, according to a representative for The I.V. Doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom