• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

Tanked a phone interview this morning only to find out later from one of my current coworkers that it was for some fuck shit anyway.

Dude was trying to have me walking door to door in the hood of Durham brehs
iFcOfUjppoynZ.png

Dreams sounds like he'd host a beat poetry night at a Jazz club that he owns and performs at.

Dreams sounds like he owns a lot of turtlenecks.

Dreams sounds like he's accidentally stolen a lot of dudes' women.

Slayven

Dreams sounds like he'd host a beat poetry night at a Jazz club that he owns and performs at.

Dreams sounds like he owns a lot of turtlenecks.

Dreams sounds like he's accidentally stolen a lot of dudes' women.

Dreams sounds like he still says "solid" and "jive turkey" . But makes it cool again.

Tanked a phone interview this morning only to find out later from one of my current coworkers that it was for some fuck shit anyway.

Dude was trying to have me walking door to door in the hood of Durham brehs
iFcOfUjppoynZ.png

It's nowhere near the same level as that, but I had a situation last autumn where I was trying to work at a local coffee joint right by my place. Filled out a job application, went in for a group interview, never rustled any feathers. One of the days I came in to follow up there was a new guy working there, I ask if they're still hiring and he goes "oh no, she actually had to cut a couple people because she couldn't pay everyone and wasn't getting paychecks out." The way he said it made it sound like it was him included.

In 2014, people?

Jado

Banned
sigh, life hack thread.

All these "but how do we know it's race?!" posts and even someone asked for a valid comparison/study of a black and white dude doing the same things and getting treated differently. I posted a slam dunk example from a news documentary.

No responses to it.

Here you go, white and black guy trying to just go about life, identical scenarios:
True Colors - Racial Discrimination in Everyday Life 1/2
True Colors - Racial Discrimination in Everyday Life 2/2

Originally broadcast on ABC's Prime time live, Sept. 26, 1991
^This is irrelevant, as many minorities will tell you that things have not changed much.

Video description:
Documentary on the "nature of today's prejudices." Follows two men (equal in all measurable aspects, except skin color) as they particpate in a variety of "everyday" life interactions and situations to test levels of prejudice based on skin colors. Shows how two young men in St. Louis, one white, one black, but otherwise similar in background, appearance, etc., are treated differently in various situations as they go about shopping, applying for work, and looking for rental housing.

In the 1960s, black Americans were promised that this country would not judge people by the color of the their skin. Three decades later, this video investigates situations in which blacks and whites continue to be treated differently.

Video raises the question of the relation between discrimination in everyday social exchanges and what sociology calls "structural racism," the systematic exclusion of people of color from full access to social resources. Where does this program root the problem? In the individual bias of a few people? Or are individuals expressions of a society based on white privilege? Does everyone who identifies as white have a stake in upholding the racial hierarchy with its tendency for white preferential treatment? On the other hand, what responsibility do European Americans have for eliminating or helping to eliminate racial preference? How would some of the problems indicated in the film be addressed or remedied?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
All these "but how do we know it's race?!" and even someone asked for a valid comparison of a black and white dude doing the same things and getting treated differently. I posted a slam dunk example from a news documentary.

No responses to it.

Shit hasn't changed

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I was wondering how long it'd be before I got tired of stirring the pot. I think today is when it all ends for me. I gotta recharge. Worn out mentally.

Jado

Banned
I was wondering how long it'd be before I got tired of stirring the pot. I think today is when it all ends for me. I gotta recharge. Worn out mentally.

I'm mentally worn out myself. I've been able to do this less and less frequently than in the past. Feels like a futile effort.

That is the beginning part? Damn you cut the fuck out of that shit.

I tell you all the time everything before the introductions gets deleted. Everyone talks reckless and it's way too much to sift through for the few minutes of conversation that's ok to put out there....and then I have to find a way for it naturally fit in with the rest.

I usually just threw it on the front end (like the esco stuff).

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
told yall about the quantum lock

every time

I tell you all the time everything before the introductions gets deleted. Everyone talks reckless and it's way too much to sift through for the few minutes of conversation that's ok to put out there....and then I have to find a way for it naturally fit in with the rest.

I usually just threw it on the front end (like the esco stuff).

i hope you at least keep all the cutting room floor stuff

i hope you at least keep all the cutting room floor stuff

It's not that crazy, it's gotten more tame I think since most of the main people have vented more than a couple times.....it's just potentially ugly cause names are named and we talk with the guarantee that it'll be deleted.

ya know, for a podcast called So Well Spoken, you sure have to edit a lot of fuckery out all the time, Moris

Its time to go full-on irony and just let the whole thing run, unedited. Throw a "ey suck my dick, Amazon" on there for good measure

I'm down for an unedited podcast. I mea a no holds barred type of shit.

That's the type of shit that stations pick up on. Like satellite radio or something.

• Episode #19: Dreaming of A White Egypt
Dream-Visions, Moris, Devo, Riovane, Angelus and Slayven talk Ridley Scott's Exodus, HBO's Jonah of Tonga, Ray Rice and Rio tells us a story.

Run time: 68 minutes 15 seconds

Click To Stream. Right Click To Save
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't get all the fuss. I'm a Black Man* and have cut in line before. It happens.

*I'm not black.

at amusement parks, we cut the fuck outta lines. just say "excuse me, pardon me, my cousin is just up ahead" and when we get far enough ahead, we stop behind another black person and be like *nod* and chill.

never did anything like that anywhere else though...

at amusement parks, we cut the fuck outta lines. just say "excuse me, pardon me, my cousin is just up ahead" and when we get far enough ahead, we stop behind another black person and be like *nod* and chill.

never did anything like that anywhere else though...

I'm a lifeguard at a Florida water park.

ibsigQGD1S3cs.gif

The lifeguard staff have the codename "Canadians" for blacks. There are black lifeguards here and black management-level lifeguards (called leads). Never heard "Canadians" used in that fashion in front of any of the black staff. Hmmmmmm.

Moris I still need that Devo cutness for a ringtone.

c'mon son

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom