• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha nope. Itaewon central Seoul, there's a US army base there and it's probably the most heavily populated foreigner area.

Funny cos just last night I saw a black guy with this hot Korean chick and was like 'cool' and then today I wake up to this.

Ah Yongsan military base, nice place. I think Daegu has the better military base though IMO.

Ha nope. Itaewon central Seoul, there's a US army base there and it's probably the most heavily populated foreigner area.

Funny cos just last night I saw a black guy with this hot Korean chick and was like 'cool' and then today I wake up to this.

But... the folks who came back to the US with Ebola were white. =_=

Super-white.

ebola-medical-staf_2992360b.jpg

EDIT: Ah, you're in Korea. Never mind.

Kreed

I disagree about the last part. Of course black people could be oppressive if sometime in the far future we gained a stronghold in society. History is often forgotten and repeated because humans NEVER learn from history. Villians become the good guys and the good guys become the villians. Look what is happening with the Gaza-Israeli conflict. Some people argue that what Israel is doing is ethnic cleansing. If you agree with this opinion, you would then think why would Israel engage in this activity if the Jews experienced some of the worst ethnic cleansing in recent history? Why? It doesn't matter. People die, new people are born, history is forgotten, humans are going to human.

This is what I was arguing but I agree on people often forgetting history.

As some one who grew up in the noi you have it twisted. Also black people can't be "racist" but we can definitely harbor prejudice (which is more or less a consequence of racism.)

And as someone who has argued with NOI members on the regular, what do I have twisted? You're going to tell me that the NOI doesn't believe that a evil black Dr. Wiley created white devils in a lab in order to explain that white people are inherently evil, in addition to blowing up part of the earth to create the moon where he and black people were originally from? Or are you trying to convince me the people who invented/push this story aren't racist?

Mr. Patch

I wanna holla at this chick that works at Gamestop, but I don't wanna bother her at work and make things awkward if she ain't down. I feel like a true GAF member now.

I know I'm probably late as fuck to the party but I just discovered MKV, and holy shit its awesome. I'm able to burn a DVDs in about 15min, and now I can finally store all these damn DVDs I have in my closet digitally without needing to much of a time investment.Nothing I hate more then getting an urge to watch a movie I know I have on DVD and having to play Indiana Jones getting it out of storage.

I know I'm probably late as fuck to the party but I just discovered MKV, and holy shit its awesome. I'm able to burn a DVDs in about 15min, and now I can finally store all these damn DVDs I have in my closet digitally without needing to much of a time investment.Nothing I hate more then getting an urge to watch a movie I know I have on DVD and having to play Indiana Jones getting it out of storage.

and its finally gonna be playable on xb1 and ps4!!!!!11

and its finally gonna be playable on xb1 and ps4!!!!!11

Thats the reason I looked it up. I have been meaning to do this forever but every solution required to much leg work and was time consuming as fuck. Saw everyone was so happy about the September update for XB1 I said lets see what this is all about.

harSon

Banned
Yup, I have all of my Blurays and DVDs ripped to a NAS server to be streamed over via my XBMC Media Center. The physical boxes are purely there for decoration at this point.

I'm still a bit confused.

Will this update mean people will be able to take their own MKV files and put them on the console to watch at their leisure like an MP4 for example?

KumaJG

Rantin & Ravin podcast got me in tears. It is run by a girl name Yamaneika. She fit the Fat Angry Black Women stereotype so well.

Infinite

This is what I was arguing but I agree on people often forgetting history.

And as someone who has argued with NOI members on the regular, what do I have twisted? You're going to tell me that the NOI doesn't believe that a evil black Dr. Wiley created white devils in a lab in order to explain that white people are inherently evil, in addition to blowing up part of the earth to create the moon where he and black people were originally from? Or are you trying to convince me the people who invented/push this story aren't racist?

Arguing with them is not the same as growing up with them. Not the same as you staying at one of their houses when you have no place else to go. Not the same as them feeding you when you're hungry. Not the same as them spotting you so clothes to go back to school with because your mom was too poor to buy you any. I don't appreciate that you're generalizing the NOI as some organization with crazy conspiracy theories that hate white people. Fact is without that organization I don't know where or who I would be today. I wouldn't be able to love being black without them. Yes I even said it before in this thread, that some of them do believe in the things you noted which is very problematic. The thing is those beliefs are unfortunate consequences of racism, that a black man would have to rewrite the worlds history just to feel like he belongs in it.

Slayven

don't know why I keep reading the Ferguson thread, ain't nothing going to come out until Monday and more those "I am not saying the nigger should die, but the nigger should die" devil advocates coming in.

Kreed

Arguing with them is not the same as growing up with them. Not the same as you staying at one of their houses when you have no place else to go. Not the same as them feeding you when you're hungry. Not the same as them spotting you so clothes to go back to school with because your mom was too poor to buy you any.

You need to stop making assumptions, or at least learn to ask more questions before going off in a response. I'm not talking about arguing with random NOI members on the street. I'm talking child hood friends, coworkers, uncles, and cousins, both currently in and formerly members. While I myself was never a member, I know more than I've ever wanted to about the organization due to this.

I don't appreciate that you're generalizing the NOI as some organization with crazy conspiracy theories that hate white people. Fact is without that organization I don't know where or who I would be today. I wouldn't be able to love being black without them. Yes I even said it before in this thread, that some of them do believe in the things you noted which is very problematic. The thing is those beliefs are unfortunate consequences of racism, that a black man would have to rewrite the worlds history just to feel like he belongs in it.

The original discussion was "can black people be racists". In which a couple of posters, yourself included, try to say that it was impossible for black people to be racist. I mentioned the NOI/Black Hebrew examples because, yes, they believe in racist things. You're correct that these beliefs are a consequence of racism in the US. But my example still stands against those who say/want to suggest that black people are some how "physically incapable" of being racist.

Of course I recognize that the NOI, like any religious organization, do good things too. That's how they get so many members to begin with, because of their teaching of black empowerment and "positive" teachings from the Quran prior to teaching you about the crazy theories.

And the people in the organization are not evil people (family, friends, etc...), just misguided due to these core beliefs of white people being evil and focusing on separation from white people vs improving the situation between ethnic groups.

But, I will not hesitate to call a crazy conspiracy theory crazy to spare someone's feelings. Especially when it is, as you yourself said, problematic to the people believing in it. If that makes the NOI look crazy by association, oh well.

Infinite

I'm on my phone but fair enough, kreed. Your initial post where you mentioned the noi I kinda felt like you were saying "look at them crazy niggas over there lol" but that isn't fair at all. To not observe those very problematic beliefs in the context of racial oppression and civil rights that they were creating in and exists in does your entire argument a disservice. Racism is very complex and riddled with nuance. You can't boil the situation down to "crazies gonna crazy" that's just as bad as the very point you're arguing against.

Young Magus

Yo what program did you use? I need to burn some dvds and I wanna put my old outlaw star dvd to use.

RedSwirl

I'd think about ripping movies since my brother just did his whole library, but I'd have to buy at least one more hard drive for all that crap. Maybe there is a reason I bought a $90 case with seven hard drive bays...

God damn.

Katt Williams' HBO stand up special comes on today

Didn't know he still did them. I'm... I don't know how many specials behind on Williams. Haven't seen one since 2008.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| what part of the game is this

Also, easy way to avoid paying for extra guacamole at Chipotle: get it in your burrito, order chips on the side. Dip chips in burrito.

RedSwirl

In other news my sleep schedule has rotated to the point of almost complete inversion. I'm sitting here going to sleep at 7am and waking up at 1.

Looked up some kind of ADD-related condition which might be what I have. If I do then they say I'm gonna be stuck with sleep challenges for life, but this is medical Google we're talking about here.

In other news my sleep schedule has rotated to the point of almost complete inversion. I'm sitting here going to sleep at 7am and waking up at 1.

Looked up some kind of ADD-related condition which might be what I have. If I do then they say I'm gonna be stuck with sleep challenges for life, but this is medical Google we're talking about here.

you could always stay up right thru til the next night, and then go sleep.

I did this before.

Jado

Banned

I went to sleep at 6:30 before I was forced up at 10:30 to get breakfast. Ugh. Sleep challenge is apt.

I don't slip up and stay up that extremely late as often as I used to, but it's still a challenge to get to bed before 1am on work nights. Takes a toll on your health. Didn't spring up overnight either. I'm a natural nightowl with restlessness and obsessive/addict tendencies; will probably need to seek professional help to get this fixed before it harms me and my career for good. At the least, all these modern day distractions are not helping and I'll need to get rid of or severely limit them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom