• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiGun

For real. All this hype for Platinum Games, but if people bought their stuff Bayonetta 2 probably wouldn't have needed funding from Nintendo.

This doesn't make any sense. It stands to reason that the people hyping their games are the ones playing them. What, do they have to sell a certain amount of copies before people can say they like their output?

the Platinum hype is real. it's just their audience that gets hype is small as fuck.
This.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Platinum hype or not, Scalebound being a CG trailer was dumb. Whole appeal of Platinum is their gameplay, and you're gonna show something non-playable and too vague to give any idea of what the gameplay is like?

jWILL253

Banned
Just buy the console, y'all.

You buy a console for not just today's games, but whatever comes in the future. I don't get why we act like we need the biggest megatons ever when we already know they are going to come regardless, especially when it comes to Nintendo.

Kreed

For real. All this hype for Platinum Games, but if people bought their stuff Bayonetta 2 probably wouldn't have needed funding from Nintendo.

GAF =/= The general gaming public. Otherwise Candy Crush would be selling negative numbers, and the PS3 would have won last generation. There's a lot of Platinum Games fans on GAF (myself included) but for all we know, we're also 90% of the sales.

This doesn't make any sense. It stands to reason that the people hyping their games are the ones playing them. What, do they have to sell a certain amount of copies before people can say they like their output?

This.

They're by far my favorite developers, but I do wonder if some people are being sincere with the whole "Platinum is the best OMG!" thing.

Take Hip Hop for example. You see a lot of people talking about they hate the radio and want that "real" shit back, but how many of those people support the underground/less popular artists that they like?

It's just kinda hard to fathom why their stuff haven't been more popular when all of their products so far have just been spiritual successors to Capcom franchises that they helped create.

I mean it's just entertainment at the end of the day so it's not really a big deal, but this is just how I see it.

J10

Banned
dWNaAzj.jpg

Gamora's in a movie ya'll.

akira28

And she looks terrible.

still would, but I'm saying. dreamworks facial expression and everything, Zoe looks nothing like what a live action Gamora would look like, but I guess it could be worse.

harSon

Banned
Platinum hype or not, Scalebound being a CG trailer was dumb. Whole appeal of Platinum is their gameplay, and you're gonna show something non-playable and too vague to give any idea of what the gameplay is like?

Well, they have to show something at TGS, so maybe we'll see gameplay for it there or around the launch of the XB1 in Japan (early September)?

And the CG trailer tells you plenty. The trailer suggests it's a 3rd person action-adventure game in the vein of Devil May Cry, which is likely consider Platinum has a pretty long history of making just that. It looks like Devil May Cry with more antiquated weaponry in a lush setting, and one of the mechanics seems to be transformations.

FyreWulff

A dev actually came out a while back and pointed this out. How he saw a bunch of people talking up a game, or his game, pre-release.. and then none of them actually show up to purchase the game. And then it happens with another game.. gamers talk hype, pump it up, but don't back their words with money.

Slayven

A dev actually came out a while back and pointed this out. How he saw a bunch of people talking up a game, or his game, pre-release.. and then none of them actually show up to purchase the game. And then it happens with another game.. gamers talk hype, pump it up, but don't back their words with money.

Then they get mad when COD 4523 gets made.

Jado

Banned
Is anyone else concerned about Far Cry 4's villain? (LGBT issue + mild spoilers)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=834773

Sigh

OP types out a great post, more than half the replies are least common denonimator bullshit reducing his argument to irrelevant arguments not being made or that sidestep the major focus of his post. During these times, I need to remind myself of the majority kind of people posting here (very young, white, male, anti-feminist, casually racist/homophobic although unaware of it). More of them seem offended that anyone would imply that gamers are generally homophobic or unpleasant people than the possibility of gays being poorly portrayed in games.

My one concern with the villain is that there are very few playable gay protagonists and that this game may have the unintended consequence of generating more hatred toward any prominent gay characters in gaming. Many gamers are unfortunately immature and anti-gay: if not openly homophobic in a horrible way, then at least in a "no gays or 'gay agenda' in my games" sort of way. A despicable villain who just happens to be gay? I can see that giving a segment of players more glee and motivation to put a bullet in his head. As the Watch Dogs thing demonstrated, there really are immature people out there who get a kick out of killing minorities and reveling in a twisted reverse-Django scenario.

In response to a strawman:
I'm not saying the villain is definitely gay. I'm saying that a possibly gay villain who is a despicable person, in an industry with very few admirable gay heroes and supporting characters to provide balance*, may not be the smartest choice in helping the immature gaming community warm up to the idea of gay people being a normal, common occurrence in video games. Fighting a unnoticeably straight male villain character is a non-issue compared to asking gamers to beat up and kill a gay man (assuming that's the case in FC4).

*I wouldn't even be posting in this thread if an abundance of normal gay people in video game plots were the norm in video games today.

Yeah, and the trivialization of those fears is also concerning.

It's not necessarily about how one particular gay character in one game is played as a stereotype, but how that plays into the aggregate.

I would caution this thread to avoid the strawman of the PC police -- nothing in the OP would lead one to believe that he was offended. Instead, he was raising concerns about the portrayal of gay men in videogames, and how Far Cry 4 could play into that. That's a valid concern, and it's not wise to shrug off the fears that minorities have of their portrayal in media with a "get over it."

Personally, I'm sick of the effeminate, gay-coded villain in male-skewing media in contrast to the study hero. It was old in Skyfall and Tron 2, and it'd be old if that's how it played out here.

Well said. I feel like a lot of the posters in this thread are 10 steps behind the conversation the rest of us are having. No guys, no one is fucking say that the guy "wears pink so he's gay and he's a bad guy and that's not a nice thing to do!"

ReiGun

They're by far my favorite developers, but I do wonder if some people are being sincere with the whole "Platinum is the best OMG!" thing.

Take Hip Hop for example. You see a lot of people talking about they hate the radio and want that "real" shit back, but how many of those people support the underground/less popular artists that they like?

It's just kinda hard to fathom why their stuff haven't been more popular when all of their products so far have just been spiritual successors to Capcom franchises that they helped create.

I mean it's just entertainment at the end of the day so it's not really a big deal, but this is just how I see it.

Fair, but not everything catches on and does gangbuster sales. They've got enough fans to support them so they can keep doing what they do, and that's really all that matters.

Slayven

We got Drax. Moondragon shouldn't be too far behind. Then we can get Phyla. Then we can have our first gay couple in the MCU, unless they move ahead with Young Avengers first.

I can't believe obscure character like Nebula is in a movie before Wonder Woman.

Is anyone else concerned about Far Cry 4's villain? (LGBT issue + mild spoilers)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=834773

Sigh

OP types out a great post, more than half the replies are least common denonimator bullshit reducing his argument to irrelevant arguments not being made or that sidestep the major focus of his post. During these times, I need to remind myself of the majority kind of people posting here (very young, white, male, anti-feminist, casually racist/homophobic although unaware of it). More of them seem offended that anyone would imply that gamers are generally homophobic or unpleasant people than the possibility of gays being poorly portrayed in games.

In response to a strawman:

I will wait until I see more than 2 minutes of footage believe i celebrate or decry something as complex as that. Gaming just can't handle those kind of conversations.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Phylia or go home

she and genis will show up only to get wiped out vell style

We got Drax. Moondragon shouldn't be too far behind. Then we can get Phyla. Then we can have our first gay couple in the MCU, unless they move ahead with Young Avengers first.

teddy and billy making it to the big screen would be dope, but that wont be for a long time from now

akira28

re: Nebula - they messed up the sexy blue woman, made her a bald cyborg. They made the tall green amazonian warrior woman some scrawny little agility build space ninja. And they made the cockney raccoon space ranger a misanthropic action hero sociopath.

J10

Banned
re: Nebula - they messed up the sexy blue woman, made her a bald cyborg. They made the tall green amazonian warrior woman some scrawny little agility build space ninja. And they made the cockney raccoon space ranger a misanthropic action hero sociopath.

Pretty sure Rocket is from space, not Australia. Nebula is a bald cyborg in the books currently. Not sure where all the 8 foot actresses are though.

Slayven

That is how Gamora looks in Annihilation.

Spinluck

No Man's Sky looks great.

But it is getting way too many positive impressions on GAF.

Poor game is gonna get shat on when it's out.

J10

Banned
akira the type of nigga who still hasn't watched Spider-Man because Sam Raimi made his web shooters organic.

Slayven

i see what you did there

My little sister loves action movies so she loves comic movies. She hit me with that when they were showing the movie. I got half way into explaining the book of oa before she told me to shut the hell up.

She asked me about Thanos the other day "If he worships Death, why doesn't he kill himself?" I couldn't come up with an answer on teh spot.

Yeah I am that nigga in the family that everyone asks to explain shit in movies and shows.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
My little sister loves action movies so she loves comic movies. She hit me with that when they were showing the movie. I got half way into explaining the book of oa before she told me to shut the hell up.

She asked me about Thanos the other day "If he worships Death, why doesn't he kill himself?" I couldn't come up with an answer on teh spot.

Yeah I am that nigga in the family that everyone asks to explain shit in movies and shows.

shes versed enough to know he worships death?

J10

Banned

He can only kill himself once. He can kill someone else a trillion times though. Either way Death is not giving him the time of day.

akira28

Pretty sure Rocket is from space, not Australia. Nebula is a bald cyborg in the books currently. Not sure where all the 8 foot actresses are though.

Find me the next Xena. Hell, I'll deal with a thick 5'11 with heels. Not wiry little Zoe Saldana.

Rocket is from space but I do believe he had an accent in the earlier portrayals I saw of him.

Nebula is a blue skinned enigma with long hair.
D3Y1IjVm.jpg
Not a Jack expy by someone who played Mass Effect and suddenly got "inspired".

akira the type of nigga who still hasn't watched Spider-Man because Sam Raimi made his web shooters organic.

actually the Raimi Spider movies were the only ones I did see because he had love for the subject and it showed.

And hell no I didn't see the Green Lantern.

Just buy the console, y'all.

You buy a console for not just today's games, but whatever comes in the future. I don't get why we act like we need the biggest megatons ever when we already know they are going to come regardless, especially when it comes to Nintendo.
You got $300 to blow nigga?

Slayven

shes versed enough to know he worships death?
She asked why he wants those rocks.

He can only kill himself once. He can kill someone else a trillion times though. Either way Death is not giving him the time of day.
Still love the story where Spiderman cockblock Thanos.

Find me the next Xena. Hell, I'll deal with a thick 5'11 with heels. Not wiry little Zoe Saldana.

Rocket is from space but I do believe he had an accent in the earlier portrayals I saw of him.

Nebula is a blue skinned enigma with long hair.
D3Y1IjVm.jpg
Not a Jack expy by someone who played Mass Effect and suddenly got "inspired".
She was converted into a Cyborg in a story that hit the shelves in 1990. Leave the Wayback machine alone

J10

Banned
She was converted into a Cyborg in a story that hit the shelves in 1990. Leave the Wayback machine alone

He went out of his way to overlook the very first result when you Google "Nebula Guardians of the Galaxy" or "Nebula Marvel." LOL Harping on some afterthought accent in a cartoon.

Let us know what you think of the character treatment after you've actually seen the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom