• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was the Chappelle bit the knock out punch for Ja or just the start of a combo he couldn't get out of?

It's gotta be tough to be reduced to a punchline like that.

People really did Ja dirty when you look back on it

He did himself dirty with that atrocious singing and beefing with a label that was not only more popular but had a stable of rappers who were either far beyond him technically or had more street credibility, or both in some cases. Then Murder Inc aligned themselves with Benzino of all people. It was a myriad of terrible decisions. And that's not even considering the legal issues that Murder Inc had.

Infinite

He did himself dirty with that atrocious singing and beefing with a label that was not only more popular but had a stable of rappers who were either far beyond him technically or had more street credibility, or both in some cases. Then Murder Inc aligned themselves with Benzino of all people. It was a myriad of terrible decisions. And that's not even considering the legal issues that Murder Inc had.
Ja Rule wouldn't even be anyone with his "atrocious singing". Those hood love anthems was his niche and he had that for a minute.

People really did Ja dirty when you look back on it

nah. Ja killed himself. I liked Ja in the prime of his career, but he underestimated 50 and machine of aftermath, shade, and interscope backing him. Then he went full retard when he went at busta, em, dmx, Jay and dre all in his pursuit of 50. Keep in mind he wasn't going at animal ambition 50. He was going at Who shot ya? 50.

He committed career suicide.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I thought Ja was fine, until 50 ended him and stole his lane. It really didn't help that 50 was on a label that had Em and Busta behind him.

but 50 did essentially the same shit and yall loved him
iBu6PxYycBjep.png

many of Ja's wounds were self-inflicted but aftermath/shady weren't too much better

its like folks let them get away with murder
iS8icxB5vZp7o.png

Infinite

50 capitalized on the fact that everybody was tired of that shit.

Then he started doing it himself.

What 50 actually did was position himself as the "alternative" to that popular wack shit that the radio always spins which is a very familiar strategy. No one was really tired of that since they still make me and the radio stations still spins them but they probably got tired of Ja Rule.

iBu6PxYycBjep.png

many of Ja's wounds were self-inflicted but aftermath/shady weren't too much better

iS8icxB5vZp7o.png

50 did the exact same thing. On that I absolutely agree. Ja was just fighting too many battles on too many fronts. On top of Irv's issues with the law at the time.

Breh I was even rocking with black child and tah murda at the time.

Ja Rule wouldn't even be anyone with his "atrocious singing". Those hood love anthems was his niche and he had that for a minute.

He did not have to sing to maintain that lane. It's like BoB and his pop stuff. Dude sticks to rapping and he's solid. If he started some half ass crooning on bridges and all that he'd tank just like Ja did.

iBu6PxYycBjep.png

iS8icxB5vZp7o.png

If you were talking about Aftermath/Shady right now, I'd agree... but at that time Aftermath/Shady/GUnit were printing money. Even Obie Trice's Cheers (which is a solid album, but not amazing) went Platinum.

Ja got out-thugged by 50 in diss tracks and then was absolutely trashed by Em, Obie, and Busta because he started firing at everybody.

Nobody from the Interscope side ran around taking shots at people except 50 and 50 pretty much held his own against everybody but Jada.

J10

Banned
Eminem made the same offense. He used to do corny singing pop hooks mockingly to distance himself from pop acts to prove he was pure hip hop. Then he started doing them sincerely. Still is. And they're still corny.

50 did the exact same thing. On that I absolutely agree. Ja was just fighting too many battles on too many fronts. On top of Irv's issues with the law at the time.

Breh I was even rocking with black child and tah murda at the time.

True.

And all I can remember about Tah was this song and....I don't think anything came from it.

And I'll probably get stoned for this, but Ja's Loose Change was better than Aftermath's Hail Mary to me. I mean I get why they did it but its just like...yall got the machine behind you and you're rhyming over a classic beat. There was no way in hell Ja was gonna win unless he wrote a No Vaseline level diss track.

Got Em talking about "if Pac was still here now, he would never ride with Ja", and thats probably true....but I don't think he'd ride with your pale ass either. Especially considering this is the second time you've bitten a Pac diss for a beef, but whatever.

An entertaining time for hiphop as ignorant as it was.

DominoKid

Enyeama save that game from being like 5 or 6 goals for France. France vs Germany should be fun.

Jhene Aiko sings worse than Drake. She bad tho.

Eminem made the same offense. He used to do corny singing pop hooks mockingly to distance himself from pop acts to prove he was pure hip hop. Then he started doing them sincerely. Still is. And they're still corny.

But Eminem also dropped actual rap tracks on the regular. The last rap track Ja Rule dropped was 'How Many Wanna De' from the Light It Up soundtrack, then after that dude went all in on the singing shit.

Jhene Aiko sings worse than Drake.

Jhene can't sing, but she ain't THAT bad.

True.

And all I can remember about Tah was this song and....I don't think anything came from it.

And I'll probably get stoned for this, but Ja's Loose Change was better than Aftermath's Hail Mary to me. I mean I get why they did it but its just like...yall got the machine behind you and you're rhyming over a classic beat. There was no way in hell Ja was gonna win unless he wrote a No Vaseline level diss track.

Got Em talking about "if Pac was still here now, he would never ride with Ja", and thats probably true....but I don't think he'd ride with your pale ass either. Especially considering this is the second time you've bitten a Pac diss for a beef, but whatever.

An entertaining time for hiphop as ignorant as it was.

Go to Sleep and Doe Rae Mi were the responses to Loose Change. Hail Mary was later and probably done specifically because Busta wanted to speak on the issue.

Oldschoolgamer

Nobody from the Interscope side ran around taking shots at people except 50 and 50 pretty much held his own against everybody but Jada.

Al-Qaeda Jada bodied him. I don't know why he tried it with D-Block.

If not for Cam's career dwindling down, he would have gotten 50 just as bad. Killa had that dude running to get his teeth fixed and had the whole, "show some courtesy CURTIISSSSSSS" wave going.

Jado

Banned
Enyeama save that game from being like 5 or 6 goals for France. France vs Germany should be fun.

Jhene Aiko sings worse than Drake. She bad tho.

An ex was trying to tell me about Jhene back in 03-04~ when she was still pretty unknown and hanging with that whole wack crew of b2k/Omarion/Marques. Can't believe she's still around and actually blowing up.

Al-Qaeda Jada bodied him. I don't know why he tried it with D-Block.

If not for Cam's career dwindling down, he would have gotten 50 just as bad. Killa had that dude running to get his teeth fixed and had the whole, "show some courtesy CURTIISSSSSSS" wave going.

To this day, Checkmate is one of the dopest diss tracks I've ever heard. The way Jada mixes personals with punches so fluidly is something that's pretty rare in mainstream rap. I would've loved to see Jada vs Em during that time period to see who would come out on top.

To this day, Checkmate is one of the dopest diss tracks I've ever heard. The way Jada mixes personals with punches so fluidly is something that's pretty rare in mainstream rap. I would've loved to see Jada vs Em during that time period to see who would come out on top.

"You made a lot of money now be cool fore I swell up your lips like seafood"

phew

Oldschoolgamer

"Yeah, you got a felony, but you ain't a predicate
Never the King of New York, you live in Connecticut "

"You don't be in the hood, you be in the woods
Fuckin' wit' me, is where you really gon' be for good"

"This is a true fact
Since when has it become cool to get shot and not shoot back (never)"

"And don't try to pull rank on 'Kiss
Cause the niggaz I'ma send to do it ain't gon' miss"

"Be layed up stiff, I spit straight up 'piph
I did real songs with BIG, no made-up shits"

"And I don't got a problem with clout
You ain't get shot again yet, so what's your second album about? (Nothin'!)"

6TtSVSg.png

Eminem - Top 20 Diss Songs

There's no lack in trying from Eminem in his rap career

There is no worthwhile distinction here. Jadakiss loses that match every time.

Believe me, I'm am completely aware of Em's diss track proficiency but no man is infallible. Let's not forget that Em threw shots at Dilated Peoples (for allowing Everlast to take shots at him on their track) and Evidence stepped straight to him and Em never responded. Meanwhile Em went extra hard on Everlast and Limp Bizkit, who were far more worthy of ignoring than Dilated Peoples.

J10

Banned
On the grand stage Evidence would actually be far below Limp Bizkit or Everlast in terms of relevancy. And Eminem did respond to Evidence on Girls, the Limp Bizkit diss. The half bar he did give him was in direct proportion to the amount of people who had ever heard of Evidence.

And that Evidence track was weak. It boils down to You're a funny looking white boy with a label full of house niggers and you're not real hip hop. Wow, so vicious.

Oldschoolgamer

Believe me, I'm am completely aware of Em's diss track proficiency but no man is infallible. Let's not forget that Em threw shots at Dilated Peoples (for allowing Everlast to take shots at him on their track) and Evidence stepped straight to him and Em never responded. Meanwhile Em went extra hard on Everlast and Limp Bizkit, who were far more worthy of ignoring than Dilated Peoples.

Yep. Eminem is one of the GOATs, but his lyricism outshines his actual record of dealing with certain rappers (be it street shit, them responding, or whatever). He's known for helping 50 kill Ja and...a bunch of other artists that don't actually matter when it comes to battling. *shrugs*

I'm not saying he would have taken an L, but it sure as fuck wouldn't be a slaughter. Jada , Styles, and Sheek were beefing heavy and dropped some of the craziest shit ever around that time period.

edit: If you look at a best disses of all times list, I'd be willing to bet you would see D-Block up there way more than Em.

There is also more to battling than just lyrics, which is why a lot of people would have taken Ls against Killa.

man Em vs. Everlast

I Remember was the best diss lyrically out of the whole beef but I felt Whitey's Revenge more for some reason

On the grand stage Evidence would actually be far below Limp Bizkit or Everlast in terms of relevancy. And Eminem did respond to Evidence on Girls, the Limp Bizkit diss. The half bar he did give him was in direct proportion to the amount of people who had ever heard of Evidence.

And that Evidence track was weak. It boils down to You're a funny looking white boy with a label full of house niggers and you're not real hip hop. Wow, so vicious.

So you're saying because more teenage suburbanites knew of Limp Bizkit and Everlast, that makes them more deserving of response? At that stage in his career Em was riding high on his reputation of being a battle emcee who crossed over from the Underground and Dilated Peoples was a major force in the Underground at the time. Limp Bizkit was a pop rock act with a frontman who had zero rapping ability and Everlast was considered a washed up rapper who switched genre's to find success again. As far as diss records are concerned, Evidence was clearly the more important dude to answer.

And Ev was the first person with any respect to point out that Em wasn't from Detroit proper (which Em was claiming at the time). He also calls him out for not actually producing tracks he gets credit for and for name dropping in his tracks like Chino XL. Also I have no clue where you're getting all this "with a label full of house niggers" stuff from because there's nothing even close to that being said. Dilated Peoples is from LA and ran in the same circles as half the Aftermath affiliates, so that makes zero sense.

So you're saying because more teenage suburbanites knew of Limp Bizkit and Everlast, that makes them more deserving of response? At that stage in his career Em was riding high on his reputation of being a battle emcee who crossed over from the Underground and Dilated Peoples was a major force in the Underground at the time. Limp Bizkit was a pop rock act with a frontman who had zero rapping ability and Everlast was considered a washed up rapper who switched genre's to find success again. As far as diss records are concerned, Evidence was clearly the more important dude to answer.

And Ev was the first person with any respect to point out that Em wasn't from Detroit proper (which Em was claiming at the time). He also calls him out for not actually producing tracks he gets credit for and for name dropping in his tracks like Chino XL. Also I have no clue where you're getting all this "with a label full of house niggers" stuff from because there's nothing even close to that being said. Dilated Peoples is from LA and ran in the same circles as half the Aftermath affiliates, so that makes zero sense.

nah bruh the thing is

Evidence is boring as fuck. Always has been, and always will be. That diss did nothing to change that fact either

J10

Banned
The key word is reputation, isn't it? And he has nothing to worry about at that level fucking with Dilated Peoples. Is Evidence a more worthy opponent, with respect to rap ability? Sure. Does Eminem gain anything by smashing him on a record? Not really - he wasn't gonna win any points with indies/the underground even if he did best him. You see the same shit with Nas, Jay, and all the other mainstream rappers who get shaded by their lessers - Nas didn't respond to 50 because 50 was worthy of a response (he's not), he responded because he looked foolish if he didn't say something. Jay gave 50 a single bar when 50 was a nobody on It's Hot (after 50 had done Be A Gentleman). If 50 had done that at his mainstream peak, Jay might have given him a whole song, like he did Cam'ron (who, like 50, is not actually worthy). That's how these things work.

nah bruh the thing is

Evidence is boring as fuck. Always has been, and always will be. That diss did nothing to change that fact either

I won't deny that he's boring but the diss was the hardest diss to be thrown at Em at the time and boring or not, Evidence was and is well respected. Dilated in general was well respected. Em was still very much eating off his underground rep and style at that time, which if he was being true to that image, means it was worthy of response.

Em wasn't in a making tracks for radio play lane yet. Dude was on Sway and King Tech's This or That and featured dudes like Sticky Fingaz and Xzibit on his tracks. He was still getting hype from his Rawkus track. He very much had one foot still in the Underground side of things for his benefit.

Edit: @ J10 I pretty much cover your points with the above. This was Marshall Mathers LP era Em we're talking about. He was not at the level of Nas or Jay in those examples. He was just starting to cement himself.

Oldschoolgamer

If 50 had done that at his mainstream peak, Jay might have given him a whole song, like he did Cam'ron (who, like 50, is not actually worthy). That's how these things work.

Cam'ron had one of the biggest waves of the 2000s and was getting money. lol. He was way more worthy than most of the rappers Jay threw subs at, especially with all of the personal disrespectful shit killa said.

If it's about lyrics, then Computers Putin got people remembering wrong. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom