• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
more than aware. dumping her story for space clones is some heinous shit. and dino crisis hasnt been spoken of since

Oh yeah they did mention they were working on something right? Maybe they'll pull a P.T sometime next year...

Is it just me or are Japanese developers in general more likely to do female protagonists?

They have their own problems of course: rarely doing protagonists over the age of 18, dolling up what female protagonists they do have, etc. They fall into their own traps but are still way more willing to greenlight female protagonists period. As for Claire, when is the last time you've had a female playable character in a game over the age of 30? The only one I can think of ever is FemShep which doesn't count as much because it's from a character creator.

Yeah that's true.

I can't remember any over 30. Claire will be the first. :)

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The ones upset about Claire are a lot less likely to know or care about Vanessa-in fact, if you showed them a comparison they would probably say it was a great marketing decision and she's "relatable" now

And I was always under the impression Mayuri straight-up built Nemu

vanessa is fuckery on a crazy level.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
RE: Mojang acquisition by Microsoft: Good for them. GAF nerds need to fall back.

Notch has always been a very vocal critic of Microsoft, especially the recent direction of the Windows platform. Maybe that's a cute irony given the recent turn of events given that it is being reported he approached them for the sale. But everyone has a price. And I never understood the nerd rage against a person/company/entity for getting paid.

I'm sure game developers love to make games that are fun. But it's still a business first and foremost. I guarantee no one gives a shit about what strangers on the Internet think about them, especially when you are set to become even more incredibly rich than you already are.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I should wade into the danger pool and do a topic gaming-side expressing my displeasure of the whitening of black females in games. Because it sucks. :(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a good reference list for it? Or a better term? I don't think whitewashing applies. Curious if there's a nice master list at tvtropes.com for more examples.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Did Goku even remember Goten? i didnt get far in the GT series

maybe a hate fuck accident baby with Chi Chi

probably thinks goten is him from the past and thats why he stays away

I wasn't here on GAF when Vanessa got bleached. But I thought that shit was gross. :(

it was brought up in certain threads, but didnt get far. people were more pissed with vf5 going multiplat

Josef is the gold standard because (Part 4 spoilers):

He cut his own wrist to use the blood to find an abandoned baby with a Stand that turned her invisible and keep her from drowning, then adopted her, and believed Josuke would save him.

KumaJG

Josef is the gold standard because (Part 4 spoilers):

He cut his own wrist to use the blood to find an abandoned baby with a Stand that turned her invisible and keep her from drowning, then adopted her, and believed Josuke would save him.

I can make a case for Monkey D. Dragon and Ichiyuru. Which I will when I get access to a computer

Been getting a lot of disconnects from Destiny whenever I join someone's fireteam.

I have google DNS set up on the router and PS4
PS4 has a static IP assigned

Put the PS4 on the DMZ list for my router hoping that helps, could just be Time Warner ain't shit.

So for Film History I'm watching Sweet Sweetback's badass song.

Why was this fuckery influential......why? Its like I know its a blaxploitation film. I know its B-movie....but wtf....

I come in this thread with an honest heart and a clear mind.

Why when I read that I heard it in TD Jakes voice?

Moris as a former employee I can tell you they probably aint shit and with this merger looming it's probably going to get worse, but I can also say from experience playstation wifi sucks ass. I had to invest in one of those wifi bridge adapters. haven't had any issues since.

something like this. netgear

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Why was this fuckery influential......why? Its like I know its a blaxploitation film. I know its B-movie....but wtf....

It was one of the first of its kind. It really kind of set, in a way, a template for what would come later. It's not a fun watch, honestly, but it's more an "important" watch. There's not a whole lot to like about Sweet Sweetback's Badassss Song. But it's something you'll need to go through for that class.

ReiGun

She is definitely up there in terms of WOAT mothers. She did everything from torture, to murder and sacrifice, to sexual assault, etc...

Her theme is goat tho.

"Blumenkranz" is one of those themes that turns an okay villain into one of the swaggiest mother fuckers on the planet.

It was one of the first of its kind. It really kind of set, in a way, a template for what would come later. It's not a fun watch, honestly, but it's more an "important" watch. There's not a whole lot to like about Sweet Sweetback's Badassss Song. But it's something you'll need to go through for that class.

Yet I can watch Foxy Brown and it be a better representation of the genre of film.....idk man....I'll never be a film historian....I'm gonna stick to screenwriting and production....

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yet I can watch Foxy Brown and it be a better representation of the genre of film.....idk man....I'll never be a film historian....I'm gonna stick to screenwriting and production....

No doubt Foxy Brown is superior on all levels. Sweetback is just wayyyy too rough to dive into, honestly. Maybe you can watch Petey Wheatstraw instead...maybe not

BHZ Mayor

Tbh, I think people give Goku too much flack. We see that before Raditz, Goku took Gohan with him everywhere.

The first time Goku was gone for an extended period of time is because he was dead. When he came back, the very first thing he did was save Gohan from Nappa. Then he proceeded to get beat half to death by Oozaru Vegeta and was in hospital care while Gohan went to Namek. After he recovered, then he went to Namek himself. Even though it seemed like forever, that trip only took like 6 days, where he once again saved Gohan immediately upon arrival.

After beating Frieza, this is where Goku can start catching some flack. Talking about he didn't wanna get wished to Earth cause he wanted to train. Nigga could've trained in one of them giant ships Vegeta be in.

Anyway, when he decided to return, he trained with Gohan for three years, got sick, then came back and trained with Gohan for another year (in the chamber) before getting killed again. So basically Goku was by Gohan's side the entire Android/Cell arc until his death. Now some blame can be placed on him for not wanting to be wished back, but his reasoning was decent enough. Everyone he fought on Earth was there specifically wanting to do harm to him and his. Raditz, Vegeta and Nappa to an extent, Frieza, the androids, and Cell. So he figured if he stayed dead, no one would have a reason to come threaten the Earth.

So once he does come back, we see him meet Goten for the first time, and he's pretty much there for the entire saga. People will probably give him shit for going after Hercule/Mr. Satan and Dende rather than his kids. Kinda fucked up, but it was their first death, and without Dende, the dragon balls don't exist. No balls, no one getting wished back, so it was a tough decision, but ultimately the best one.

Now we finally get to the other thing everyone gives Goku flack for, leaving to go train Uub. This is the very last thing we see, but with as fast as we saw four-year-old Pan doing laps around the planet, who's to say the he didn't visit, or that they didn't visit him? And let's not act like he wasn't training with Goten prior to that tournament.

tl;dr: Y'all need to fall up off my nigga Goku.

Slayven

It's some fuckery. Dude got worker's comp because those chicks he fucked in the film gave him VD

Moris as a former employee I can tell you they probably aint shit and with this merger looming it's probably going to get worse, but I can also say from experience playstation wifi sucks ass. I had to invest in one of those wifi bridge adapters. haven't had any issues since.

Cable companies are run so shitty.

BHZ Mayor

Damn, that shit is garbo on the 4 too? Even Nintendo got that right. For the 3, I ended up getting a powerline kit. Basically you plug one adapter in the wall where you have your modem and the other where you have your device and run the Ethernet through your electrical wiring.

Imm0rt4l

Sorry Imm0rt4l, I had to go, Plus I can't be seen with no none having Sparrow mofo.

I didn't know how to summon it at the time haha. You don't have a mic? I'ma probably be back on later, I just unlocked crucible so I'ma probably grind it out a bit.

Meanwhile DY is like level 20 something. I got some catching up to do.

Kreed

Childish Gambino's Epic Freestyle for Rosenberg on Hot97

"I've been grinding my whole life" - Childish Gambino

It's on repeat and he doesn't even try hard

Requoting you from yesterday to follow up/share this:

Childish Gambino Interview with the Breakfast Club:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ORBnl7SMCU

The interview starts off talking mostly about hip hop, but then about 7 minutes in they talk about public perception of black people in the US, including "whiteness is blankness", band-aid colors, police, "new black", Jaden Smith's genius, speaks so well, etc...

Infinite

The interview starts off talking mostly about hip hop, but then about 7 minutes in they talk about public perception of black people in the US, including "whiteness is blankness", band-aid colors, police, "new black", Jaden Smith's genius, speaks so well, etc...

Haven't listened yet (not sure if I want too) but with Charlamange co-hosting the show I expect nothing of value from this.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

Wow @ Charlamagne. Wow. Does he think just covering his eyes and ears is going to make shit go away?

This interview was pretty good. I might not agree with some of the shit that came out of Gambino's mouth, but this was still good.

Fuck that new black phrase/wave. Shit is hella fucking stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom