• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is tied to you PSn account, so you would have to share it.

Not after hearing his voice. Dreams' post I hear as God, Jesus, Tiny Lester, and the Grandpa from the Cosby show all rolled together.

Dreams is Panthro?

And speaking of the Cosby Show:

that dude is a great character actor. He just needs to play himself.

Theo Huxtable as Dehumanizing Stare #9
4je5mow.jpg

He learned the DS from Claire, and you know I'm right.

Slayven

Dreams is Panthro?

And speaking of the Cosby Show:

He learned the DS from Claire, and you know I'm right.
If Dreams had did Panthro's voice Cheetra would have had 6 kids

i think most get it from the women in their family. i know i have.

Remember the eps when Cliff was trying to save the kids when they talked out the side of their mouths to Claire? And Claire got that look like she was about to come down the mountain with 2 stone tablets and shade?

G-Fex

Browsing Steam oddities I found a boxing game of all things. It looked odd so I had it in my wishlist for a while. Made me realize I miss Fight Night so I ordered FN Round 2 for my original X-box off of amazon and then bought this 'Real boxing' in the meantime. Man it's not fight night but it's funny, pretty budgeted boxing really. Dem glitches.

Slayven

Browsing Steam oddities I found a boxing game of all things. It looked odd so I had it in my wishlist for a while. Made me realize I miss Fight Night so I ordered FN Round 2 for my original X-box off of amazon and then bought this 'Real boxing' in the meantime. Man it's not fight night but it's funny, pretty budgeted boxing really. Dem glitches.

Get the last fight night, it was good.

Jado

Banned
wow, you should dump her and throw her out of the apartment. if that's her go to word to call you when she is mad, she really doesnt respect you.

Hold up bruh

How you up here dropping ether on Gaf posters for racism but getting called "nigger" in your own house?

Part of the game is this?
ipJ3tahcspXsG.png

She got it from her fam. Parents are old fashioned Latinos with outdated ideals and typical ignorance of people like that. Her siblings and cousins are into that low-brow toilet and immature humor. Her bro thinks he's hilarious and always used to make gay and rape jokes before he had kids. It's been a process, but she's overall better than before.

If she was generally horrible, I would've dumped her years ago. But on a 10 scale of how kind, unselfish and caring she is? She's an 11. Before we moved in, she traveled far across the city 3 times to take me to the hospital for medical procedures when none of my emotionally dead/distant family was willing. Personality and behavior wise, I'm objectively a lot worse than she is, so this isn't a deal breaker for me as long as she continues working on being better about it. Especially because as I've said before, I myself had a lot of shit opinions about race and feminism not so long ago.

I think this thread plus working retail has given me a low level dehumanizing stare. I already had the Native American stone face too, so that could've contributed.

ReiGun

I've lost my dehumanizing stare over the years due to having to learn to turn it off. Back in college, I had people scared to even talk to me.

Black Jesus is garbage, but Maggie and the cop are fine as all hell.
I feel like the concept of the show would have been better as a one off Boondocks episode than an entire thing unto itself. I'm not even sure what the theme is supposed to be or what message Aaron et. al. are trying to get across. There's no overaching point to it all, and the humor falls flat as a result. Shame too, because Black Jesus himself is a good character.

But yes. Maggie is wine as all hell.

G-Fex

SMH Parallax and Slayven. Dem stereotypes.

Beef smile, or if not at least don't be frowning all the time. Trust me on this, I regretted it later.

Jado

Banned
Didn't Mindy Kalling say she preferred white guys anyway? I mean, she gets to decide who's on her show, she's got direct input and power over that stuff, she said anyway.

That's part of the problem. She could choose to have diversity on her show and has decided not to. If she only dates white guys IRL for "reasons" (which sucks tbh), fine whatever. But then to be adamant that her fictional character on national TV does the same is irresponsible. She pepetuates a bad message about what's considered attractive.

Kreed

I feel like the concept of the show would have been better as a one off Boondocks episode than an entire thing unto itself. I'm not even sure what the theme is supposed to be or what message Aaron et. al. are trying to get across. There's no overaching point to it all, and the humor falls flat as a result. Shame too, because Black Jesus himself is a good character.

Once you get out of your head that this show is supposed to be a Boondocks' replacement and stop looking for a message vs just sitting back and watching a comedy show, it works. Aaron McGruder did a great thing with the first 3 seasons of the Boondocks and Huey being the mouth piece, but there's no need for him to be pigeon holed into making shows with messages to the black community, otherwise he could have just stuck to making the Boondocks for the rest of his life.

ReiGun

Once you get out of your head that this show is supposed to be a Boondocks' replacement and stop looking for a message vs just sitting back and watching a comedy show, it works. Aaron McGruder did a great thing with the first 3 seasons of the Boondocks and Huey being the mouth piece, but there's no need for him to be pigeon holed into making shows with messages to the black community, otherwise he could have just stuck to making the Boondocks for the rest of his life.

I'm not saying that McGruder needs to make politically charged shows all his life or that I need Black Jesus to replace the Boondocks. What I mean by "message" is not necessarily Aaron getting on his soapbox, but rather, what exactly is suppose to be "the big joke?" What's tying all this together? "Jesus has a regular dude in the hood" is a funny enough concept for an episode or a sketch, and I'll admit that some of the characters work (namely Black Jesus, Vick, and Ms. Tootie), but so far, the humor and story haven't really grabbed me.

I don't know if anyone saw this:

I've been preparing a kickstarter on this for over a year.

Wanted to make sure I've done enough research, but life sort of got in the way. I had some people on board for interviews like Patrick Klepek and Ian Bogost, but the legwork on this sort of thing is completely and utterly insane.

But it seems interesting. No idea how many minorities are involved in the day-to-day, though.

Kreed

I'm not saying that McGruder needs to make politically charged shows all his life or that I need Black Jesus to replace the Boondocks. What I mean by "message" is not necessarily Aaron getting on his soapbox, but rather, what exactly is suppose to be "the big joke?" What's tying all this together? "Jesus has a regular dude in the hood" is a funny enough concept for an episode or a sketch, and I'll admit that some of the characters work (namely Black Jesus, Vick, and Ms. Tootie), but so far, the humor and story haven't really grabbed me.

Ignoring my current av, I would only say keep watching if you're the patient type with TV shows. The show has been slowly improving with it's comedy every episode, particularly with the comedic jabs. I definitely would bail if you're looking for a better story though. Black Jesus in the hood is probably all we are getting this season at least.

Trey

I did not expect this show to remind me of Scandal tonally. So much dumb shit and it's only episode 4.

So it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom