• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
So for Film History I'm watching Sweet Sweetback's badass song.

Why was this fuckery influential......why? Its like I know its a blaxploitation film. I know its B-movie....but wtf....

Because A) As you mentioned, it's considered alongside Shaft as the beginning point of Blaxploitation - which was a moment Hollywood realized the significance of catering to an untapped (and still untapped) audience B) Alongside films like Easy Rider, it signaled a transition away from the studio system, opening the gates for a climate where independent, low-budget and unsavory films could a viable alternative C) As an independent film directed and funded by black individual, it's a far cry from the white representation of the black experience that dominated Hollywood since Oscar Micheaux hung his gloves.

If you haven't, I recommend you watch Baadasssss! by his son: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367790/

Requoting you from yesterday to follow up/share this:

Childish Gambino Interview with the Breakfast Club:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ORBnl7SMCU

The interview starts off talking mostly about hip hop, but then about 7 minutes in they talk about public perception of black people in the US, including "whiteness is blankness", band-aid colors, police, "new black", Jaden Smith's genius, speaks so well, etc...

I swear Bino is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich away from looking straight up homeless. Hair is dirty as fuck, holes in his sweater...I mean I understand you're like this emo/higher plane of existence rapper and you take it seriously but dude!

Infinite

I swear Bino is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich away from looking straight up homeless. Hair is dirty as fuck, holes in his sweater...I mean I understand you're like this emo/higher plane of existence rapper and you take it seriously but dude!

nigga legit has a hole in his sweater lmao

Jado

Banned
Crossposting this from Angelus' "I Can't Relate" thread. Similar to white savior movie lists, I need someone with more drive and movie/TV knowledge to catalog the instances of this happening.

On that subject I've read views about romance depictions in film making people uncomfortable. I've read people saying that they don't like watching white women hooking up with males of different ethnicities on screen, but they're fairly okay with off screen suggestion. This has always been mindblowing to me as well; I was looking for a thought piece written by some guy giving his reason he doesn't like seeing it. His argument is that he and many men like him unfortunately see women as "property" for lack of a better word (I think he says something about the woman being like the trophy for the main and that seeing a white man "conquer" a minority woman is like an ego boost; while seeing a minority male "conquer" a white woman annoys them and feels like an attack on his manhood).

I personally don't understand that; but on some level many people in Hollywood must think this way themselves, or assume the audience thinks the same way because despite BM/WF making up the largest percent of interracial relationships in the US, they're the least represented in media. While WM/BF are grossly over represented in media. Another issue is that WM/*F romances are always shown on screen, while minority male/white female are rarely shown on screen (random example being in Prometheus. Charlize Theron/Idris Elba's quickie isn't shown on screen in any capacity only insinuated).

Given how Hollywood works (assumption of audience + focus groups) this is a large problem with increasing diversity in films; Hollywood assumes that movie goers won't want to watch a movie in which the main character isn't a white male as it will turn too many people off. Now at one point in the US this definitely might have been the case.

I've touched on this several times before and was reluctant to make a thread about it due to the visceral reactions I've gotten over the mere mention of it in the past.

Honestly, it stinks. Movies and television love bending to the will of racists and the mentally shut-in. The totally asexual black (Asian, Hispanic, Arab, Indian) male is a real problem in entertainment. If anyone is confused what this is about, just look it up and then pay close attention to the shows you watch. Men of color are usually dickless with no discernible sex drives, while white men right alongside them are hooking up with women from all backgrounds. Perfect example: Baby Mama with Fey and Pohler. Malco and Pohler (below) should have obviously hooked up and were probably meant to in some version of the script. But you know... Hollywood.

Wide1_L.jpg

Relevant quote from an article about this trash:
The White Liberal “Feminism” of Tina Fey and Baby Mama
There are few roles for people of color in Baby Mama’s white world. The biggest is that of Fey’s doorman, Oscar Priyan (played by Romany Malco), who assumes the role of the Magical Negro, receiving no character development but dispensing much sassy advice and support to the two white female protagonists with whom he never, ever has any sexual tension. Towards the end I though perhaps Amy Poehler’s character would end up coupled with him—during a climactic spat Fey calls her white trash” to which she replies “I deserve that” and Malco intones “no, you don’t”. Wow, is Baby Mama actually going to develop the latent class-solidarity theme that cried out from under the cutsey scenes of Poehler and Malco asexually bonding? Given the predictable, formulaic trajectory of the entire movie (I spotted the films final “twist” the second Fey met Greg Kinnear), they should have gotten together—except for the Magical Negro law which forbids him from having any sex life, especially one involving a white lady.

Now we have women of color being thrown into the spotlight, but only if they're constantly lusting after and having sex with white men (Scandal, Mindy). Yay, ratings! Shonda Rhimes is fully aware that Scandal would not sell to audiences if it was black woman/black president nor white woman/black president. Mindy Kaling has apparently gotten a ton of support from minority groups to help launch her career (MANAA Asks Fox To End “White Only” Dating Policy on “Mindy Project”) but knew her show should would bomb if she didn't surround herself with an attractive white supporting cast and endlessly date white men only. I read she eventually added a minority character: a stereotypically sassy black nurse. She's gotten well-deserved criticism and only taken on a really shitty defensive stance. She made it big (with help from people like her) so who cares, right? Figures.

Relevant:
Mindy Kaling Only Makes Out With White Guys on The Mindy Project

Anyway, this isn't true diversity representative of real life. It's the continuing pandering to narrow-minded Americans and indulging in white male fantasies of getting the exotic colored girl. I'm over this nonsense.

Capcom about to make the gaming world implode.

Damn they doing magic by having an older female lead who isn't dolled up/waifu material. Naughty Dog woke up devs with TLOU. Made them not so scared to take risks and this is a risk that needs to be made and I'm happy as heck with that.

Capcom has my respect for this 100%.

I didn't play TLOU, what risks did it take? Are you talking about the story or something else?

I didn't play TLOU, what risks did it take? Are you talking about the story or something else?

Probably having 2 (!) older female leads, one of them black.

General question for all: which stank corner of the Internet would you say has the largest or most vocal presence on Gaf? (Stormfront, the more vile sectors of Reddit, etc.)

cdyhybrid

General question for all: which stank corner of the Internet would you say has the largest or most vocal presence on Gaf? (Stormfront, the more vile sectors of Reddit, etc.)

It's not blatantly out there, but I would guess Reddit. I just get the same vibes from a lot of posts/threads.

J10

Banned

The Reddit MRAs by a country mile.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear

I've never played either, but I'm pretty familiar with it because of friends. I'm not sure how much I can say without spoiling anything. Is it something you intend to play in the future?

I've never played either, but I'm pretty familiar with it because of friends. I'm not sure how much I can say without spoiling anything. Is it something you intend to play in the future?

No, I don't do shooters or care about spoilers. I'm just curious about the risks it took, since the little I know about it seems fairly safe.

Kreed

Haven't listened yet (not sure if I want too) but with Charlamange co-hosting the show I expect nothing of value from this.

Gambino controls most of the interview vs Charlamagne throwing out a bunch of troll questions, so it's a better interview in general than what you normally get on the Breakfast Club outside of Charlamagne pissing an artist off.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Not something I'd play

spoil away for me I'm curious as well. The premise seems safe as fuck. Zombie Apocalypse daughter simulator is probably the safest game you could make at the moment.

I mean it's so safe even Capcom is doing one now

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
No, I don't do shooters or care about spoilers. I'm just curious about the risks it took, since the little I know about it seems fairly safe.

Not something I'd play

spoil away for me I'm curious as well. The premise seems safe as fuck. Zombie Apocalypse daughter simulator is probably the safest game you could make at the moment.

I mean it's so safe even Capcom is doing one now

My friend told me how he heard/read that a lot of devs found TLOU to be interesting for many reasons but he focused on telling me about one of them being because it wasn't very "pretty" with the female characters, all of them relatively realistic, among other things. Also something where the DLC features two females (Ellie and Riley~ who's black) as the mains and they are lesbians.

Not really a big deal to me (could've been more drastic if you ask me) but if that's all it took to bring some changes, I'll give the creators some props.

(It really didn't seem phenomenal to me either but if the game inspires creativity I'm not complaining)

akira28

Didn't Mindy Kalling say she preferred white guys anyway? I mean, she gets to decide who's on her show, she's got direct input and power over that stuff, she said anyway.

Because A) As you mentioned, it's considered alongside Shaft as the beginning point of Blaxploitation - which was a moment Hollywood realized the significance of catering to an untapped (and still untapped) audience B) Alongside films like Easy Rider, it signaled a transition away from the studio system, opening the gates for a climate where independent, low-budget and unsavory films could a viable alternative C) As an independent film directed and funded by black individual, it's a far cry from the white representation of the black experience that dominated Hollywood since Oscar Micheaux hung his gloves.

If you haven't, I recommend you watch Baadasssss! by his son: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367790/

I guess I'm just clouded by the fact that the movie is just fucking terrible. I get all that because that's exactly what we're studying in class but its like Birth of a Nation all over again except that was tolerable because its so old its hard to take seriously while Sweet Sweetback feels a helluva lot more modern.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
If you want her in your slave snuff films then thats you. Point is, simple & clean is atrocious

It's the only song of hers I like, probably because of the game

I think her singing voice and most of her music is painfully boring

Mortemis

Banned
be sure to file a report on how moris just got robbed lol

Lmao this dude disconnects the moment before we get loot. I'm running on some shitty ass wifi, surprised I have no problems at all.

If you want her in your slave snuff films then thats you. Point is, simple & clean is atrocious

Do you hate Passion/Sanctuary even more? Most people I talked to preferred S&C, including me. Instrumental version is the best though.

Hold up bruh

Boyfriend?

Just yesterday, my live-in GF and I got into a heated argument with some name-calling. She called me a "fucking nigger" a number of times. Not the first time and something she does to try to get under my skin when I've gotten her riled up. It doesn't work and just makes me think less of her.

Her intent doesn't give her any excuses tho and I've told her to stop that shit. I've also had to explain that casually saying nigger (eg. nigger please, nigger why are you up early) isn't funny or appropriate. She tries to be silly and feigns(?) ignorance about how I say it too. I very rarely say "nigga" nowadays and it just comes naturally from my growing up in the Bx amongst many black and Latino friends. I feel like coming from her it's also much worse because of her Mexican background (Native American/Spanish) vs. my Caribbean background (African/Spanish).

How you up here dropping ether on Gaf posters for racism but getting called "nigger" in your own house?

Part of the game is this?
ipJ3tahcspXsG.png

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Didn't Mindy Kalling say she preferred white guys anyway? I mean, she gets to decide who's on her show, she's got direct input and power over that stuff, she said anyway.

I've always thought she only goes for white men like Lucy Liu. Same happens in gay tv shows, gay white guy gets everyone he wants. Makes me miss Noah's Arc, it was a cheesy show but where else could you see Black men date Black men on cable tv. Sigh gay media isn't any better when it comes to interracial relationships.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, I keep putting off finishing S3 too. Need to get to that already.

BTW the ds4 battery life is fucking horrible, dimmed the light and everything and it still sucks.

I had such high hopes for the DS4

and it has done nothing but disappoint

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Boyfriend?

Just yesterday, my live-in GF and I got into a heated argument with some name-calling. She called me a "fucking nigger" a number of times. Not the first time and something she does to try to get under my skin when I've gotten her riled up. It doesn't work and just makes me think less of her.

Her intent doesn't give her any excuses tho and I've told her to stop that shit. I've also had to explain that casually saying nigger (eg. nigger please, nigger why are you up early) isn't funny or appropriate. She tries to be silly and feigns(?) ignorance about how I say it too. I very rarely say "nigga" nowadays and it just comes naturally from my growing up in the Bx amongst many black and Latino friends. I feel like coming from her it's also much worse because of her Mexican background (Native American/Spanish) vs. my Caribbean background (African/Spanish).

wow, you should dump her and throw her out of the apartment. if that's her go to word to call you when she is mad, she really doesnt respect you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom