• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
"@StuffDrakeDoes

A second-hand book store. Drake finds a copy of Twilight. A sticker on it reads "USED". He looks around, then leans in. "You too?" he says."

lmao!!!

Stuff Drake Does @StuffDrakeDoes · Aug 21
As Drake rinses his hair, he stares at the bottle of Johnson & Johnson shampoo. "No more tears" it reads.

He sighs. "Maybe one day."

My favourite one.

I'm gonna follow Jaden Smith. Between this Drake account and him, I'll finally have something to have a laugh on Twitter.

wee-baysurprised.gif + MichaelJordanlaughs.gif

That's where I want to be when I get on the internet. I think that's like 2 steps before hitting Nirvana.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
After this week I should finally be out the military for a while, but after all the shit I've put up with in the last month.... I completely understand why guys go postal here. If I didn't have a couple grand waiting on me in Hawaii, I would've lobbed a chair through a window just to start it off.

So no one misconstrues this - I meant that I'd fight everyone buttnaked while shouting the songs of my people. Nothing crazy.

Boyfriend?

Just yesterday, my live-in GF and I got into a heated argument with some name-calling. She called me a "fucking nigger" a number of times. Not the first time and something she does to try to get under my skin when I've gotten her riled up. It doesn't work and just makes me think less of her.

Her intent doesn't give her any excuses tho and I've told her to stop that shit. I've also had to explain that casually saying nigger (eg. nigger please, nigger why are you up early) isn't funny or appropriate. She tries to be silly and feigns(?) ignorance about how I say it too. I very rarely say "nigga" nowadays and it just comes naturally from my growing up in the Bx amongst many black and Latino friends. I feel like coming from her it's also much worse because of her Mexican background (Native American/Spanish) vs. my Caribbean background (African/Spanish).

So you make giant detective posts online outing people's racism while...dating and being harassed by a racist IRL? Breh. Breh.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I don't know how much more evidence needs to be mounted, to let women know that they aren't shit to the world at large.

This dude Oscar Pistorius won. wow.

I don't know how much more evidence needs to be mounted, to let women know that they aren't shit to the world at large.

This dude Oscar Pistorius won. wow.

breh, saw that shit on tv at lunch bout an hour ago. all dat evidence too?

Also they done ate up Vince thread; hook, line, and sinker.

Change the colour of a characters skin to fit their voice actor.

Yep.

Tell me, game/animation industry professionals, is that how casting works?

-_-

Only if it's making them white
1288260-kratos_2.jpg
12883805_ori.jpg

Jado

Banned
So you make giant detective posts online outing people's racism while...dating and being harassed by a racist IRL? Breh. Breh.

Yes, that's exactly it. You nailed it right on the head. /s

Like some of you have undoubtedly done with friends and relatives, I've sat down with her, told her why something she did was racist, and educated her at length on why saying those things is not okay with the hopeful outcome that she will end up better for it. Yes, I consider her family; she's not some throwaway bitch I met last week that you misconstrue takes advantage of me. On the contrary and without going into detail on how terrible I've been, I've had to improve my attitude and temper a lot to make our relationship work all these years. It's been give and take for the two of us to improve and be a better couple.

Unlike GAF where one can just ignore/block people we don't give a shit about, or try to get someone banned for stepping way out of line, she represents the people we have to live with and don't wish to discard from our lives -- especially because we see promise in their character. If she were the Stormfront type or even the sly, thread-derailing types who we encounter in racism threads, I would've never started dating her back in 2006. What she actually represents, as part of her typical Hispanic upbringing, is the conservative/immature/brash type with racist tendencies who jokes in private about slurs and other offensive words, occasionally saying regretful things during tense personal moments.

I'm not gonna pretend to be a saint myself and act like I've never said some really fucked up things in the heat of the moment that don't need repeating. Who here has been an angel who never said anything regretful? Half of you were being sexist assholes not long ago... shitting on women with different bodies, resulting in tense arguing that got the thread locked before I and a few others complained that the discourse was civil and needed in helping educate people here.

The feel when your 80 dollar pair of headphones breaks.

When $250 and $300 IEMs break. I don't take care of my stuff so I'm back to $20 headphones.

Trey

I'm not gonna pretend to be a saint myself and act like I've never said some really fucked up things in the heat of the moment that don't need repeating. Who here has been an angel who never said anything regretful? Half of you were being sexist assholes not long ago... shitting on women with different bodies, resulting in tense arguing that got the thread locked before I and a few others complained that the discourse was civil and needed in helping educate people here.

It be like that sometimes.

Kreed

Jado, you didn't have to blast all those stray shots at the community. Plus PD only does drive by posts in the BCT these days, don't take it serious.

Jado

Banned
Jado, you didn't have to blast all those stray shots at the community. Plus PD only does drive by posts in the BCT these days, don't take it serious.

Not trying to. Trying to make a point that some people, including flawed people here, are worth engaging and continuing to talk to rather than cast aside. A few years from now I'll probably look back myself and thinking about how narrow-minded, ignorant or dumb I was about X issue.

He should cause PD is right. Girl calls you that and you accept it? Not cool. A girlfriend you live with no less. She either needs to stop or you leave. Don't be an uncle tom.

Trey

Man, who are these knuckleheads that continually say stuff like "don't forget those millions of Iraqis/afghanis" to every single Remember 9/11 sentiment? And they have to always qualify that they're not proud to be an American in the slightest. Like, okay, cool.

It's like how niggas won't let you eat a burger on the fourth of July without throwing the trail of tears or Jim Crow laws in your face.

I know patriotism isn't in vogue nowadays with a lot of the internet crowd/young people, but there are much more effective and less annoying ways to go about your moral crusade. Especially in a way that won't make you look like a slacktivist.

He should cause PD is right. Girl calls you that and you accept it? Not cool. A girlfriend you live with no less. She either needs to stop or you leave. Don't be an uncle tom.

You should read his response. He's not "accepting it."

Kreed

The opinion is one thing, PD is another. There are times to take PD serious and there are times to know he's just trying to fuck with you. In the Black Culture Thread, that is 99% of the time.

Got to like 8 last night on the Destinys. I can't tell if I'm having fun yet since it's crap I already did in beta. Is there more because uh.

Agree to disagree. Personally I couldn't have any type of serious relationship with a casual racist, nor would I spend YEARS trying to convince them that shit isn't cool.

The opinion is one thing, PD is another. There are times to take PD serious and there are times to know he's just trying to fuck with you. In the Black Culture Thread, that is 99% of the time.

Whatever you take away from that post, PD is absolutely right. Also when I say deal with it I mean do something, not accept it. You sit someone down, a grown adult no less, and they still use it while you stick around? She doesn't respect him, at all. The fear of not having pussy on the reg for a little while is not worth being called that over and over.

RIP Ice Climbers. Sakurai literally cut out an entire mechanic. I suppose Rosalina is the replacement.

He's a little too into adding FE and Kid Icarus characters to give a shit of adding, fixing or bringing back characters people actually want.

Kreed

Whatever you take away from that post, PD is absolutely right. Also when I say deal with it I mean do something, not accept it. You sit someone down, a grown adult no less, and they still use it while you stick around? She doesn't respect him, at all. The fear of not having pussy on the reg for a little while is not worth being called that over and over.

And Jado has responded. So these responses can be directed to Jado's response. But IMO it would be better if you would spent your first time posting in this thread/one of the very few posts you have in one of these threads posting something positive instead of attacking another member and/or defending another member who has only attacked other members in this thread for the past 7 OTs.

Jado

Banned

Some of you guys reduce way too much shit to this. Just "no" if you think that's what this is.

Agree to disagree. Personally I couldn't have any type of serious relationship with a casual racist, nor would I spend YEARS trying to convince them that shit isn't cool.

Okay. A whole lot of Hispanic people have certain unsavory views; she's one of the milder ones I've known. At least she's aware of her biases and trying to be better... you know, like me a few years ago *shrug*. I haven't spent years on it seeing as I only got into actively discussing this stuff with anyone a few years ago and becoming more aware of my own faults.

Kreed, don't worry. I know about Phoenix. I've been eyed his ridiculous shit since around time I joined GAF.

She got it from her fam. Parents are old fashioned Latinos with outdated ideals and typical ignorance of people like that. Her siblings and cousins are into that low-brow toilet and immature humor. Her bro thinks he's hilarious and always used to make gay and rape jokes before he had kids. It's been a process, but she's overall better than before.

If she was generally horrible, I would've dumped her years ago. But on a 10 scale of how kind, unselfish and caring she is? She's an 11. Before we moved in, she traveled far across the city 3 times to take me to the hospital for medical procedures when none of my emotionally dead/distant family was willing. Personality and behavior wise, I'm objectively a lot worse than she is, so this isn't a deal breaker for me as long as she continues working on being better about it. Especially because as I've said before, I myself had a lot of shit opinions about race and feminism not so long ago.
i understand.

what's that saying about actions and words again?

yeah.

that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLwyvNjYUdY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom