• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobawesome

Mayuri tha gawd

I remember why I used to enjoy Bleach, now.

I'll be honest, though. This was the first Mayuri to come to mind:

131329.jpg

FreeMufasa

Can someone give me a summary of bleach?

Last I watched they were all flying in the sky of Ichgos town and shit was about to go down. The old dude put aizen and friends in a fire.

ReiGun

Can someone give me a summary of bleach?

Last I watched they were all flying in the sky of Ichgos town and shit was about to go down. The old dude put aizen and friends in a fire.

-All of Aizen's forces were killed
- Aizen himself killed one of them because while she was winning, she wasn't winning fast enough. This was the start to one of the finest trolling runs in manga history. Issue after issue of Aizen styling on fools looking like
LuEuQ.png

-The fun stops when Ichigo gets a bullshit anime powerup and beats him.
-Ichigo loses his powers due to said bullshit powerup
-Long boring arc about some scrubs called Fullbringers which are basically powered humans like Chad and Orihime. They suck.
-Ichigo gets his powers back.
-The Quincy return and style on Soul Society and Ichigo in a way that would even make Aizen go "...Damn."
-Old Captain finally fights. Dies in the end.
-We get a flashback arc about Ichigo's parents. Turns out moms was a Quincy.
-We get to see Squad Zero and the King's Realm. It's pretty cool.
-Ichigo, Renji, and Rukia get a training arc. The former get new versions of their swords, Rukia gets bankai. All three shit on Quincy now.
-Rest of Soul Society save Mayuri continue to get styled on.

- Aizen himself killed one of them because while she was winning, she wasn't winning fast enough. This was the start to some of the finest trolling runs in manga history. Issue after issue of Aizen styling on fools looking like

I still can't help but imagine what the arrancar arc would've been like had it not been extended like Kubo said. He stated that his editor wanted him to have it run longer. Same case of DBZ with the Buu saga maybe.

Crocodile

Well, Ishida did blow a hole in his chest shortly after that. Don't remember if they ever referenced it again though.

Not really good enough, dude escaped and to this day has shown no remorse nor has anybody in a high position called him out on his shit. That whole plot lined lacked catharsis :/

I still can't help but imagine what the arrancar arc would've been like had it not been extended like Kubo said. He stated that his editor wanted him to have it run longer. Same case of DBZ with the Buu saga maybe.

Huh so that was the reason is dragged on for literal years? Didn't it irrecoverably hurt the manga popularity?

And sometimes 12/24 episodes, but that's basically a subset of 2) and 3) (one or two seasons).

I've been wondering: What are your favorites?

Sorry, been writing a preview that has to go up tomorrow morning.

In no particular order:

Eureka Seven
Gurren Lagann
Durarara
Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop
Toradora
Planetes
FLCL
Nichijou
Monster
Mirai Nikki
Evangelion
Kokoro Connect
Gundam 00
Mushishi
Twelve Kingdoms
Berserk
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
FMA: Brotherhood
Hajime no Ippo
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Attack of Titan
EDIT: Astro Fighter Sunred

Currently, I'm digging Log Horizon, Aldnoah Zero, Psycho Pass, Ping Pong the Animation, Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU, Kuroko's Basketball, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

I read the Shonen Jump Three: One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach, but I don't watch the anime because my time is limited.

I'm sure there's more, but that's off the top of my head. I'll do mostly anything if it's got a great story, but I definitely have a fanservice threshold at this point. I dipped out of fan-favorite Sword Art Online because it had an interesting premise, but they dropped in favor of harem show tropes and fanservice. (Log Horizon delivered more on the same idea.) Things like High School DxD and High School of the Dead tend to get ignored; you have to really up your story game to get me past that kind of excessive fanservice.

ReiGun

While we're on anime, the new Hunter X Hunter broke my heart. The story ruining pacing of the Chimera Ant arc and the overall mehness of Greed Island mean I can't give it the resounding recommendation I would have when I first started watching.

Kurapika still dat nigga, tho.

Furyous

- Aizen himself killed one of them because while she was winning, she wasn't winning fast enough. This was the start to one of the finest trolling runs in manga history. Issue after issue of Aizen styling on fools looking like
LuEuQ.png

-The fun stops when Ichigo gets a bullshit anime powerup and beats him.
-Ichigo loses his powers due to said bullshit powerup
-Long boring arc about some scrubs called Fullbringers which are basically powered humans like Chad and Orihime. They suck.
-Ichigo gets his powers back.
-The Quincy return and style on Soul Society and Ichigo in a way that would even make Aizen go "...Damn."
-Old Captain finally fights. Dies in the end.
-We get a flashback arc about Ichigo's parents. Turns out moms was a Quincy.
-We get to see Squad Zero and the King's Realm. It's pretty cool.
-Ichigo, Renji, and Rukia get a training arc. The former get new versions of their swords, Rukia gets bankai. All three shit on Quincy now.
-Rest of Soul Society save Mayuri continue to get styled on.

You're glossing over a lot......

Kenpachi broke fucking reality fighting some quincy filler.

Hitsugaya got killed off screen and returned as a zombie...

Ichigo took on a squad of the best quinces as he fled the scene.

LOL, this entire arc has been broken as shit. Hitsugaya was alive the last time we saw and 10 chapters later he's a zombi.

---

I came into contact with a former friend from college who turned his life around something fierce. Dude was a coke head that was responsible for a starting quarterback's fall from grace. Dude was the starting QB and had his father die. My friend got him hooked on drugs and next thing you know dude is leading cops on an interstate highway chase in Arizona ducking the laws. Dude tried to drag burned out collegiate senior me down with him and I wasn't about to quit with four months left til graduation. Dude was bragging about he yanked some drug dealers in Pullman for their bread but he got away with it because he's white and looked like a lineman. I could go on for days about dude but I'll chill.

---

I'm overworked like a motherfucker. I work at a restaurant and have a job interview lined up with another national retail chain. Somehow I've got multiple writing projects for corporations lined up but I have no free time. This shit is so struggle. I'm working these jobs to save money in order to disappear.

ReiGun

Pisses me off the way people bring up mental illness like it's some kind of get out of jail free card. I know peeps in here always say "Some people are just assholes" but I would add "and some assholes have mental illness." It's upsetting because it makes it that much harder to really talk about mental illness - which already has a lot of stigmas and misinformation surrounding - that much harder because you have people trying to turn it into a scapegoat for those who do awful things.

Crocodile

Pisses me off the way people bring up mental illness like it's some kind of get out of jail free card. I know peeps in here always say "Some people are just assholes" but I would add "and some assholes have mental illness." It's upsetting because it makes it that much harder to really talk about mental illness - which already has a lot of stigmas and misinformation surrounding - that much harder because you have people trying to turn it into a scapegoat for those who do awful things.

Nah man it ain't even that yo, they were STRESSED! Do you know what happens when you get STRESSED? It triggered an uncontrollable chemical reaction in their brains and unlocked the WHITE RAGE. Shit burns whiter than the White Dwarf. Ain't no escaping that shit, kid had no chance :( If only them officers had gotten ONE more hour of sleep that night it could have all been avoided :(

*MichealJordanLaughing.gif*

That thread got "funny" REAL fast. Also loved the "nah man our shit never stink, only y'alls" type posts.

If only there were a cure for stress. Seems like when people get stressed, they kill black/mixed people, or shout racial slurs at others. Seriously guys, we need our best scienticians on this. :(

Young Magus

J10

Banned
Also I have a question: Just exactly when did the "He just has a mental illness" defense start poping up? Feels like I see it being used a lot.

It started right around the time certain kinds of people realized how it felt to be made to feel responsible for their entire group.

SmokyDave

I appreciate that things are tense around here, and that bullshit levels are the highest they've been since the Trayvon Martin case, but people are starting to get dog-piled that don't deserve it. Not everyone is intimately acquainted with the dog-whistles and coded racism that defines American racial politics, and as such not everyone is playing into them.

Maybe dog-piling people that don't deserve it is some meta-commentary on racism, I don't know. It's not going to lead to decent discussion though, just people getting angry and resentful because they don't understand why they're faced with such confrontational posting after they make a seemingly innocuous comment.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I don't care what anybody says about Drake.

The nigga is fine.

And any woman or gay man who says they wouldn't let him hit is a black ass lie.

As a gay man no I probably won't.

I'm actually intrigued, I don't know much about sub-culture (?) in the gay community.

You'll have to read my auto biography 12 years as a gay slave. Joking aside. Just a lot of bad experiences I rather not talk about now.

I'm afraid I'll come back with a ton of STDs. I don't think I can control myself and lately been looking for LTR than hookups.

I appreciate that things are tense around here, and that bullshit levels are the highest they've been since the Trayvon Martin case, but people are starting to get dog-piled that don't deserve it. Not everyone is intimately acquainted with the dog-whistles and coded racism that defines American racial politics, and as such not everyone is playing into them.

Maybe dog-piling people that don't deserve it is some meta-commentary on racism, I don't know. It's not going to lead to decent discussion though, just people getting angry and resentful because they don't understand why they're faced with such confrontational posting after they make a seemingly innocuous comment.

Well perhaps asking questions is a better route to go down, instead of making definitive statements.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Can you give a specific example of one of these comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom