• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
While we're on anime, the new Hunter X Hunter broke my heart. The story ruining pacing of the Chimera Ant arc and the overall mehness of Greed Island mean I can't give it the resounding recommendation I would have when I first started watching.

Kurapika still dat nigga, tho.

I like greed island for being a video game homage that was more than BEEP BOOP GOLD COINS EXTRA LIFE GAME OVER like Scott pilgrim or some shit. Togashi demonstrated he knew alot about how games actually work and how players actually play them with the arc.

That and it had the sense of adventure from the hunter exam that was sort of lost in yorkshin.

Haven't watch ant arc in anime, but you could tellmtogashi was depressed or some shit when he wrote it in the manga.

Latest manga arc is good as fuck tho.

akira28

Maybe dog-piling people that don't deserve it is some meta-commentary on racism, I don't know. It's not going to lead to decent discussion though, just people getting angry and resentful because they don't understand why they're faced with such confrontational posting after they make a seemingly innocuous comment.

fuck man shit is definitely tense. That's why I'm always puzzled to see people just show up and plow on through. Like they don't even check the program, just show up with tickets and make a beeline for a seat because they just know. they got all the corners covered and they're going to break it down for all of us with their logic because we couldn't figure it out. If it could be more of an engagement and an exchange instead of 'piling-on', but it's hard to tell who is being sincere and who is sincerely trying to twist a knife. And it's mentally numbing to start from the top every time. Combine that fatigue and frustration with some obvious dog-whistles an some people might snap at the wrong hands thanks to misread intentions.

as long as people are trying to be open...we can get there eventually. If we're just waiting for our turn to post so we can keep pressing our own agendas and conclusions we might not get anywhere at all.

J10

Banned
This is actually a duplicate thread. Original thread did not generate much drama nor a white killer defense force.

Yeah, I remember the original thread a couple weeks ago. Suddenly there's a "narrative" being "constructed' as if the "media" is latching onto a series of "coincidences."

Mumei

Slightly out of date but

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/makine

But ignore any scores for shows I haven't finished.

Look at you handing 10s like candy!

Sorry, been writing a preview that has to go up tomorrow morning.

In no particular order:

Currently, I'm digging Log Horizon, Aldnoah Zero, Psycho Pass, Ping Pong the Animation, Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU, Kuroko's Basketball, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

I read the Shonen Jump Three: One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach, but I don't watch the anime because my time is limited.

I'm sure there's more, but that's off the top of my head. I'll do mostly anything if it's got a great story, but I definitely have a fanservice threshold at this point. I dipped out of fan-favorite Sword Art Online because it had an interesting premise, but they dropped in favor of harem show tropes and fanservice. (Log Horizon delivered more on the same idea.) Things like High School DxD and High School of the Dead tend to get ignored; you have to really up your story gamto get me past that kind of excessive fanservice.

Ooh. Let me organize them for me:

Favorites:
Planetes
Monster
Mushishi
Twelve Kingdoms
Hajime no Ippo

Liked:
Eureka Seven
Gurren Lagann
Samurai Champloo (never completed)
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Evangelion (never completed)
Berserk
FMA: Brotherhood
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Ambivalent:
Durarara

Dislike:
~~~

Haven't Seen:
Toradora
Nichijou
Mirai Nikki
Kokoro Connect
Gundam 00
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Attack of Titan
Astro Fighter Sunred

Kreed

I appreciate that things are tense around here, and that bullshit levels are the highest they've been since the Trayvon Martin case, but people are starting to get dog-piled that don't deserve it. Not everyone is intimately acquainted with the dog-whistles and coded racism that defines American racial politics, and as such not everyone is playing into them.

Maybe dog-piling people that don't deserve it is some meta-commentary on racism, I don't know. It's not going to lead to decent discussion though, just people getting angry and resentful because they don't understand why they're faced with such confrontational posting after they make a seemingly innocuous comment.

Even in the cases where a comment is misinterpreted and it gets 10+ negative reactions, most of the time the poster responding back to it doesn't handle it well and that is usually what gets them banned, not the initial comment. Far too often these posters hold firm in what they said and defend their original comment not being offensive which creates even more negative responses and just affirms why they got them in the first place. It's not difficult to clean up your original comment with a second post, and most of the time the "dog piling" stops after that.

BHZ Mayor

I haven't really read the thread in question, but we have a situation where a guy not only kills his daughter's boyfriend explicitly for being black, but also shoots at his daughter, and there are still people defending that? Please tell me that's not the case.

SmokyDave

fuck man shit is definitely tense. That's why I'm always puzzled to see people just show up and plow on through. Like they don't even check the program, just show up with tickets and make a beeline for a seat because they just know. they got all the corners covered and they're going to break it down for all of us with their logic because we couldn't figure it out. If it could be more of an engagement and an exchange instead of 'piling-on', but it's hard to tell who is being sincere and who is sincerely trying to twist a knife. And it's mentally numbing to start from the top every time. Combine that fatigue and frustration with some obvious dog-whistles an some people might snap at the wrong hands thanks to misread intentions.

as long as people are trying to be open...we can get there eventually. If we're just waiting for our turn to post so we can keep pressing our own agendas and conclusions we might not get anywhere at all.
Thanks, man. You know what I'm trying to say then. And yeah, it is understandable for the reasons you've listed. I also accept that most of the time, people are playing the politics. I'm just worried that when you blast into a crowd of wrong 'uns, you also take out some cats that were just passing by at the wrong time.

Even in the cases where a comment is misinterpreted and it gets 10+ negative reactions, most of the time the poster responding back to it doesn't handle it well and that is usually what gets them banned, not the initial comment. Far too often these posters hold firm in what they said and defend their original comment not being offensive which creates even more negative responses and just affirms why they got them in the first place. It's not difficult to clean up your original comment with a second post, and most of the time the "dog piling" stops after that.
That's true, but you know what it's like when people are put on the back foot. They don't always express themselves correctly, especially if they don't truly understand what it is that they've said wrong.

I'm also interested.
Ah fuck, well ain't that a moral quandary. I'll bang you a PM, but please understand that I don't object to the specific conduct of any individual, I'm just talking about tone and context.

I knew I was putting my balls on a table and handing out hammers, but I didn't want to end up looking like a snitch too :(

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
I kinda understand where SmokeyDave is coming from but...

I've always taken the "prevention is better than cure" route. Which means "Don't post stupid shit"

It isn't hard to take the temperature of an on going convo BEFORE posting. And hell, as has been said, if someone fucks up, and gets instantly piled on, that's the point where the person can take stock, regroup and GENUINELY try and understand what they said or did wrong. A chance to learn. Let's be honest, many on here in that situation never do that. They double down on the stupid shit they said.

Maybe i'm just older and wiser. I've been around forums for a loooong time. You see the same damn patterns regularly.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I kinda understand where SmokeyDave is coming from but...

I've always taken the "prevention is better than cure" route. Which means "Don't post stupid shit"

It isn't hard to take the temperature of an on going convo BEFORE posting. And hell, as has been said, if someone fucks up, and gets instantly piled on, that's the point where the person can take stock, regroup and GENUINELY try and understand what they said or did wrong. A chance to learn. Let's be honest, many on here in that situation never do that. They double down on the stupid shit they said.

Maybe i'm just older and wiser. I've been around forums for a loooong time. You see the same damn patterns regularly.

Yeah I'm of the same opinion, it not hard to walk a comment back if you realize that its being taken in the wrong context. Far too often people want to believe they are "right" more than actually having an understanding on the topic they are talking about.

Infinite

Some of those comments in that thread were not "fairly innocuous" I'm afraid. Other posters venting how they feel about "mental health" being thrown around by people who aren't psychiatrists to in reality excuse abhorrent crimes motivated by racism or misogyny wouldn't necessarily be dog pilling. Too often when posters are in that situation they double down on that stance and fail to realize the implications of their words considering larger context. They also get extremely defensive when justifiably called out. I get where you are coming from but looking at the totality of the situation the other side can stand to make better decisions too.

Why do they even come in? Just say the guy shouldn't have died for dating someone period. Why show your cards like that?

The Black Guy Who Tips: 768- Changing The Subject

Start at 9:00- Rod and Karen plays the Larry Elder and Marc Lamont-Hill "discussion" on CNN yesterday. God, the second Larry started to open his mouth, it turned into a clusterfuck.

It's surprising that older black people who lived through the Kim Crow south turns out to be at least Republican or conservative when it comes to racial issues. Those with power of having people listen when they speak at least.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Never got the pm, but I can rest easy knowing Mumei is on the case

SmokyDave

Appreciate your views, guys. To be clear, I'm not suggesting that the majority of cats weren't being dopey.

Never got the pm, but I can rest easy knowing Mumei is on the case
Sorry dude, I sent it from mobile and forgot to put a subject line in, so it didn't actually send (or warn me that it hadn't sent). I've done that so often that I don't bother with the PM system any more. I didn't realise until I went to copy / paste the same message to Mumei.

I just copy pasted the PM I sent to Mumei and sent it to you.

Essentially, it's another one of those 'Knockout Game / Happy Slap' cultural things. What's racist or racially charged in the US ain't always so elsewhere. I shouldn't really have brought any of this up if I wasn't willing to provide specific examples, I see that now.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Mumei is this an accurate depiction of how you guys work
HardtofindFirstGordonsetter.gif

please say yes

xnipx

Is it ok to ask why not many people defended the clearly mentally unstable man who told the police to shoot him and they GLADLY obliged?

Or how the clearly mentally unstable white man who was pointing a gun at people on the freeway was somehow detained without any shots being fired?

BHZ Mayor

Is it ok to ask why not many people defended the clearly mentally unstable man who told the police to shoot him and they GLADLY obliged?

Or how the clearly mentally unstable white man who was pointing a gun at people on the freeway was somehow detained without any shots being fired?

It's ok to ask, it's just that we all know the answer.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
These dudes literally got shipped out in a box. Like on some Looney Tunes shit. They got these dudes being investigated by top men and shit.

You'll catch Dolph Ziggler just sitting alone sometimes, staring off into the distance. Like he's a little sad and doesn't know why, like a man who has lost something important but can't remember what. If you talk to him, it seems like it takes him a second or two to come back, as if his memories have taken him on a winding road and it requires a moment for him to find his way again. If you ask him, he'll say it's nothing. And he'll go about his life, and he'll win and lose championships, and be the showoff everybody loves to watch, and everything will be great.

But still, every once in a while... you'll see him backstage lost in thought, as if he's searching for something long left behind.

RedSwirl

I don't know man, I guess you gotta give the benefit of the doubt on ignorance on a case-by-case basis. Like someone who is obviously from halfway around the world vs Americans who are willfully ignorant.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't know man, I guess you gotta give the benefit of the doubt on ignorance on a case-by-case basis. Like someone who is obviously from halfway around the world vs Americans who are willfully ignorant.

I immediately lose patience with somebody who goes "lol Americans and their race stuff we just don't care over here"

AfroMW

The defense force for everything is really starting to get on my nerves, how can you defend some of the actions people do on others?!

Slayven

Even when they're caught beating the fuck out of us, the most we get is that the guy "MAY" face charges.

I hope this shit fever pitches into national reform, however unlikely that may be.
I like to remain hopeful.
The defense force for everything is really starting to get on my nerves, how can you defend some of the actions people do on others?!
The black guy who tips talks about this all the time. That new thing is there has to be two sides to every discussion. When somethings should not be defended.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I immediately lose patience with somebody who goes "lol Americans and their race stuff we just don't care over here"

My brain always says "Well fuck you then your opinion is completely worthless" and I move on. I don't have time for that stupid-ass shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom