• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroMW

I like to remain hopeful.

The black guy who tips talks about this all the time. That new thing is there has to be two sides to every discussion. When somethings should not be defended.

I guess it still amazes how willingly dense folks try to be in these arguments.

I can't believe an AUSTRALIAN said that in that thread

When I saw that I immediately thought, he's doing this on purpose but now. I don't even know anymore.

J10

Banned
The defense force for everything is really starting to get on my nerves, how can you defend some of the actions people do on others?!
The shit that just made me laugh was the in Oklahoma thread - "Hey hey hey let's not slander these murderers with accusations of racism." Like even if that's wrong in that case, who would give a shit?

With the higher-ups on GAF making a stronger effort to handle racism (or accusations of lack thereof, "they're just insane, it's not a race thing") and the like, I have to wonder if GAF is due to an update on terms of use. I mean yeah, of course the TOS already covers "don't be a dick, avoid obscenity or directly threatening the safety of other members," but I feel like it wouldn't hurt to explicitly lay stuff out to avoid having to pre-emptively lay out "don't derail using x or any variation thereof" in future threads. If any mods could shed some light on this, has it been considered?

AfroMW

The shit that just made me laugh was the in Oklahoma thread - "Hey hey hey let's not slander these murderers with accusations of racism." Like even if that's wrong in that case, who would give a shit?

But was it really racism tho.....
They were clearly stressed.....
Just had enough dehumanizing glares over the years and the mental stress culminated into something fierce and stood their ground against aggressive step

Look at you handing 10s like candy!

Ooh. Let me organize them for me:

Favorites:
Planetes
Monster
Mushishi
Twelve Kingdoms
Hajime no Ippo

Liked:
Eureka Seven
Gurren Lagann
Samurai Champloo (never completed)
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Evangelion (never completed)
Berserk
FMA: Brotherhood
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Ambivalent:
Durarara

Dislike:
~~~

Haven't Seen:
Toradora
Nichijou
Mirai Nikki
Kokoro Connect
Gundam 00
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Attack of Titan
Astro Fighter Sunred

Judging by your Favorite list, I'd probably start with Mirai Nikki and Kokoro Connect above the others. You might also like Psycho Pass, but I haven't finished it yet. And Nichijou is just hilarious.

SmokyDave

'Is the victim actually black?' got me. Um, yup. Black enough that there'd have been no questions if he was on the other end of the gun.

....sigh. I really didn't want to think of that thread. Shit's so sad. Imagine meeting someone, getting with 'em, giving them shelter, and then being murdered by their parents. Gut wrenching.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
MHWilliams is that a list of your favorites or just a list of every anime you've ever seen?

RedSwirl

I immediately lose patience with somebody who goes "lol Americans and their race stuff we just don't care over here"

Oh no that's bullshit, but I'm really more talking about someone from Europe or Asia or something who might make an innocuous comment (like "why no water cannons") because they're genuinely unaware of the history. Like, what's Mufasa's reaction to some of the shit he sees in Japan relating to Africans?

That would be beautiful.

While I'm working on that, here's this:

sCggbRB.png

besada

Banned
So besada who really uses modbot the most. You should let me use it a few times and start some fuckery for like an hour

I think we all use it pretty commonly. It's really just an easy way for us to do stuff without having to use the clunky-ass vBulletin interface. He makes it possible for me to ban folks on my cell phone, so I can bring the thunder anytime, anywhere.

I banned someone last night while I was at dinner with my wife, then got in trouble for GAFfing at the table.

Jado

Banned
I like to remain hopeful.

The black guy who tips talks about this all the time. That new thing is there has to be two sides to every discussion. When somethings should not be defended.

This is what's happening with the Zoe Quinn stuff on Gaming. Sexist idiots are trying to appeal to "non-censorship" and demanding for so-called fair and open discussion of SHIT that deserves no platform. I don't get this thinly veiled crap to entertain every dumb, bigoted idea. This is why pogi got called out earlier in this thread. A person's hyper rationality, over politeness and easygoing smiles/sunshine personality doesn't make saying some of that shit okay.

BHZ Mayor

Oh no that's bullshit, but I'm really more talking about someone from Europe or Asia or something who might make an innocuous comment (like "why no water cannons") because they're genuinely unaware of the history. Like, what's Mufasa's reaction to some of the shit he sees in Japan relating to Africans?

Golden niggas.

half of them aint even mods

yo this Taylor Swift video is uh...lot of "othering" going on here. "lol I don't understand this black people thing I'm so white and awkward haha"

Wynnebeck

Banned
I'd take Kagari out to Olive Garden, and let her eat as many breadsticks as she wanted. The rest of y'all get the dollar menu at McD's.

RedSwirl

I have found something on Vice possibly particular to BCT's interests. It's like a fashion shoot or something. It just popped up on my RSS feed. I will not link it here. It is not even remotely safe for work.

Jado

Banned
I kinda understand where SmokeyDave is coming from but...

I've always taken the "prevention is better than cure" route. Which means "Don't post stupid shit"

It isn't hard to take the temperature of an on going convo BEFORE posting. And hell, as has been said, if someone fucks up, and gets instantly piled on, that's the point where the person can take stock, regroup and GENUINELY try and understand what they said or did wrong. A chance to learn. Let's be honest, many on here in that situation never do that. They double down on the stupid shit they said.

Maybe i'm just older and wiser. I've been around forums for a loooong time. You see the same damn patterns regularly.

My exact observations. It's often the same people vehemently defending the same derailing arguments. Only very few are making a first-time mistake in dismissing racism. One can usually tell which is a novice to the discussion and which is the repeat offending asshole.

Yo fam, this stat just came across my inbox from a reporter looking to interview families.

620,000 households that include at least one soldier, reservist or guardsman - or 25 percent of the nation's total active duty and reserve personnel - are seeking aid from food pantries and other charitable programs across the country, according to Feeding America.

holy fuck. these aren't vets; they're active or reserve soldiers.

Strawberry Letter 23 has me feeling some type of way every time it shuffles on now. Fucking Six Feet Under man (pls don't google the two if you haven't seen the show! -- if you have, you know what I'm talking about, right??).

I can't believe an AUSTRALIAN said that in that thread

I've read that a few times on this forum tbh. Always funny.

My friend was just trying to argue with me on how artists like Nicki Minaj are copying trends from Korean girl groups.

=/

Ask your friend how many times they saw Boys Over Flowers and report back. Depending on your answer, I will respond with the appropriate amount of head shaking

My friend was just trying to argue with me on how artists like Nicki Minaj are copying trends from Korean girl groups.

=/

I have a weird feeling I've heard stuff like this from Kpop Jpop and JRock fans before...when it is clearly and undeniably the other way around. (meaning they are heavily influenced by american rap/rock/pop acts but for some reason always seem to be ~5-10 years late to the party)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom